Friday Top Five: Classic best picture Oscar snubs
January 27th, 2012

Friday Top Five: Classic best picture Oscar snubs

Even with the ability to nominate 10 movies for the best picture category, the Academy Awards manages to rile the moviegoing public with snubs, year after year.

This year's round of nominations in the best picture category alone had film fans crying foul over the inclusion of "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close," without any love for the movies some wanted to see acknowledged, such as "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and "Bridesmaids."

But if history has taught us anything, it's that an Oscar isn't necessarily indicative of what will stand the test of time. If you're annoyed with the Academy for failing to highlight what you thought was one of the best of 2011, take comfort in the fact that these five classics didn't get best picture nods when they were released either.

The list of snubs from the Academy is a seemingly endless one, and can be broken down into a variety of categories. Here's just a few titles that weren't in the running for the top honor, yet are now seen as some of the best films of the last 60 years, or so.

Additionally, a few of the more recent best picture snubs get honorable mentions.

We know you're itching to amend, re-arrange, and add some titles to this round-up - so, cinephiles, the floor is yours in the comments.

1. "Singin' in the Rain" (1952) - The Academy didn't get the same "glorious feeling," apparently. "High Noon"; "Moulin Rouge"; "Ivanhoe"; "The Quiet Man"; and the year's winner, "The Greatest Show on Earth," were nominated instead.

2. "Vertigo" (1958) - Funnily enough, the director of one of this awards season's most mentioned movies, "The Artist," got into something of a conflict with "Vertigo" star Kim Novak because he used the score to Hitchcock's classic in his 2011 black-and-white ode to cinema.

3. "2001: A Space Odyssey" (1968) - This "epic drama of adventure and exploration" was passed over in favor of "Funny Girl"; "The Lion in Winter"; "Rachel, Rachel"; "Romeo and Juliet"; and the year's best picture winner, "Oliver!".

4. "Some Like It Hot" (1959) - A famous work of Marilyn Monroe's that earned six nods that year, but missed the best picture category.

Interestingly, although Monroe herself was never nominated for an Academy Award, Michelle Williams currently is up for the best actress Oscar for playing the screen siren in "My Week with Marilyn."

5. "Psycho" (1960) - Alfred Hitchcock was nominated for directing this feature, but the iconic thriller didn't make it into the year's best picture category.

Honorable mentions:

"Do the Right Thing" (1989)

"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" (2004)

"The Dark Knight" (2008)

Filed under: Friday Top Five • movies

1. Rodney in Dallas

How can a movie that barely came out in 2011 be nominated for an Academy Award? For example, War Horse was released on December 25 yet nominated for an Oscar already. Extremely loud is the same way. Seems like we should see how they do for a year before giving them an Oscar.

February 15, 2012 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  2. Chris

Not technically a snub, but the fact that Braveheart won best picture over Shawshank Redemption was a shame.

February 12, 2012 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Rodney in Dallas

I never saw Braveheart but Shawshank Redemption was awesome!

February 15, 2012 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  3. Dave

The Oscars are nothing more than a pay to play contest... If your producer/director and financial backers didn't pay the Academy they are not going to be considered for a nomination. Its the Hollywood game of screw them..

February 9, 2012 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Rodney in Dallas

I was suprised to learn that they actually have to pay dues in order to be included in these awards. I was listening to the radio the other day and someone had mentioned that Etta James' name was left out of the In Memoriam tribute at the Grammy's for the music people that died this year. They said that because Etta James did not pay her "Grammy Dues" that is why her name was left out. I can't think of a bigger rippoff than that.

February 15, 2012 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  4. JessSayin

I've no respect for the Academy since Saving Private Ryan lost to Shakespeare In Love. Unless Billy is hosting I don't even watch the Oscars anymore.

February 4, 2012 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Andrew

I wish Drive was nominated so bad. That was easily my favorite (and critics) film of the year.

February 2, 2012 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

I completely agree on Drive. The best film of 2011. The fact that Extremely Loud... was nominated and not Drive is a complete joke!! On the rotten tomatoes site, Extremely.. has an absolutely pathetic critical rating of 45%, while Drive holds a 93% positive rating. If any Academy members are reading this, just tell me how you can possibly justify leaving Drive out of the best picture nominations. I demand an explanation for your collective idiocy!

February 10, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hiro

I likewise agree. "Drive" is a polarizing movie among moviegoers, but it only took one viewing, and a slight return to rewatch just a few key moments in the movie, for me to include it on my list of all-time best movies.

While I don't think there's really such a thing as a snub given the way the Academy is run, but I'm with you, Brian. There is a "collective idiocy" to the way the Academy members "think" and vote. There's simply too much business politics at play behind the Oscars.

So I don't pay them much mind. To me, they're just a curio. I see their list of nominations and I see what one the next day, but I don't watch the show itself. Too much industry b.s. and self-congratulatory ramblings and spectacle going on.

But, still, it just would have been nice to see "Drive" receive at least some recognition in the bigger categories, and perhaps even win on.

February 13, 2012 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sokman

Bubba Ho-Tep got snubbed. Can you believe that shlt?

January 28, 2012 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  7. Ed

Stand By Me
    Being John Malcovich
    Alien
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
    Jurassic Park
    The Usual Suspects
    Brazil
    North By Northwest
    The Dark Knight

And the Star Trek remake should have been nominated instead of that awful District 9.

January 27, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • tak fuji

Please man- the Star Trek movie was cool and all, but D9 was maybe the greatest scifi movie of the last 10 years. Great action and effects, but just as important, excellent social commentary about race, political and corporate power, and what it means to be human. A true work of art that meant something- not just popcorn fluff.

January 27, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • JessSayin

Agree with you on Brazil. Masterpiece!
      But tak juji is right, D9 was just ground breakingly awesome!

February 4, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ed

O Brother, Where Art Thou?
    Also...

Fight Club
    The Abyss
    A.I.: Artificial Intelligence
    The Royal Tenenbaums

January 27, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rodney in Dallas

No offense but A.I.: Artificial Intelligence was kinda cheesy!

February 15, 2012 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  10. San Jose

I definitely agree with Eternal Sunshine...one of my all time favorites.

January 27, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Snorlax

"The Human Centipede"
    "Bucky Something, Born to be a star"
    "The Three Musketeers"

January 27, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Snarky

Yea, nobody thought Bridesmaids deserved a nod except your stupid entertainment blog writers CNN.

January 27, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andy

I agree. I have a large group of friends who try to predict the nominees and none of us had Bridesmaids making. Funny, yes, great movie, no.

February 1, 2012 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Rodney in Dallas

It's not just about a great movie! It is also about how much money that movie makes, the publicity it gets, and the length of time it stays in theatres. Bridemaids earned the most money of any other female comedy in history. That is why there was talk about it getting a nomination.......because it broke records.

February 15, 2012 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |