Kiefer Sutherland returns to TV in 'Touch'
January 25th, 2012

Kiefer Sutherland returns to TV in 'Touch'

It's been 19 long months since Jack Bauer's most recent (but not last – a movie is on the way!) mission on "24."

However, fans of Kiefer Sutherland will be getting a taste of his new Fox series, "Touch" (from the creator of "Heroes") on Wednesday. But instead of playing an extraordinary CTU agent, he has an extraordinary son.

"In the beginning of the story, we discover [Sutherland's character] Martin, who has a son named Jake, who in the course of our story we realize has been misdiagnosed with severe autism and in fact is actually just a truly, truly evolved human being that is years and years beyond where my character is and our society is at," the actor explained to reporters on Monday.

Jake, who has never spoken a single word, is somehow able to predict future events (though it's not always clear what he's predicting at first), something which brings him closer to his father.

"I’ve always felt that this was a drama," said Sutherland. "We’re embarking on the journey of a father trying to connect with his son and trying to have as normal a relationship as he can under the circumstances."

After the first episode, Sutherland explained, "This really does have a great deal of energy, so there’s an aspect of it that I would categorize as a thriller or suspense and certainly [there is a] science fiction component as well."

Sutherland said that he was interested in the show, so soon after "24," after reading the script. He felt that this is a show he had to work on.

Sutherland is also very interested in making this a family affair: “I think one of the things that’s so attractive about this piece is really [creator] Tim Kring’s writing and character development,” he said. “They give people an opportunity to show some stuff that they might not normally get, and I would be honored to be able to do something like this with my dad [actor Donald Sutherland].”

Unfortunately, viewers will have to wait until March to see the next episode of "Touch," but Sutherland and Fox hope that – just like with "Glee's" second episode – they'll be back for more.

« Previous entry
  1. flextones

I have a friend who has brilliant mechanical skills. He can look at a problem and visually complete it. He told me he was diagnosed with aspbergers. Then I taught an elementary aged boy who had autism. He would say words repeatedly and draw pictures in three dimensions. He could parrot and imitate any voice he heard at will. He was like a savant.

April 19, 2012 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. flextones

There are a lot of people with autism. I believe it is possible to be a normally functioning adult human and have autism. I think I have a "touch" of it even though my IQ as a child was 150 or more. I never achieved my full potential. I am 61 and a retired public school music teacher/librarian. I still play music for churches however in my retirement.

April 19, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. John

I'd say the dvd one cas you get all the Lost Boys on it Then again any with David on is aomswee. Best movie ever.

February 13, 2012 at 7:11 am | Report abuse |
  4. sandra

My husband and I have not been fans of Keifer Sutherland, but we watched "Touch" and are really looking forward to the series. Always nice to watch something entertaining and thought-provoking, without relying on the Discovery or History channels all the time!

January 26, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Kate from Canada

I don't know what it is about Keifer – but he's really attractive and comes across as someone I would just like to know. He seems interesting and thoughtful and fun. And he is Canadian, so you know he is polite.

January 26, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  6. John

Great show!

January 26, 2012 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  7. DIANA

I watched the show and LOVED it. Big fan of Kiefer Sutherland. The only problem I have is I have to wait until March to watch more! I hope they explain the social workers mother connection – I missed that.

January 26, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jan

So glad to see Keifer back on TV–I think they've done it again. The show was a little hard to follow at first but I think it has great potential & wish we didn't have to wait until March to see what is coming!

January 26, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  9. DonnaG

Watched the show last night...it was excellent! Storyline, acting kept you on the edge of your seat. Love Kiefer so glad he's back!!!

January 26, 2012 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  10. jim

53 years old...best new show I've seen, ever. Thank you Fox, excellent cast , Thank you Kiefer. Whole family is hooked and can't wait for March! To all the pooh poohs who say gay, boring, whatever? You wouldn't know quality if it slapped you in the face, because if you did watch "touch", quality slapped you hard.

January 26, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  11. Ida

Good show, makes you think. Trying to figure out how everyone connects. I will be watching every week!

January 26, 2012 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  12. Steve

I didn't see the premier, but am a big Kiefer fan. I just wanted to correct the author of the article. He played a CTU agent (Counter Terrorist Unit) not CIA. Please research before writing a piece, even an entertainment one.

January 26, 2012 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  13. SmarterthanU

3:18

January 26, 2012 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  14. nancy

Gayfer Sutherland has finally found his calling. A tv show with an all gay cast.

January 26, 2012 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
  15. tod

reminded me of GLEE withut the singing. lame city.

January 26, 2012 at 7:04 am | Report abuse |
  16. emma

If you are an embicile then this show is for you. Totally embicillic.

January 26, 2012 at 7:03 am | Report abuse |
    • @ emma

It's imbecile.

January 26, 2012 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Scott M.

Yeah Emma... Nice job trying to critique the show's intelligence by misspelling... Twice. I thought that after a slow start (but one that made sense when it all came together) it was quite good, especially how the characters were all interconnected. Was it a stretch on reality? Sure, but that's the point. Go watch a Real Housewives show Emma, I think that's probably more your speed.

January 26, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  17. jeff

Pretty boring show. I really didnt care for it. Id day 2 more episodes and it will be gone.

January 26, 2012 at 6:59 am | Report abuse |
  18. Kat

It was good to see Danny Glover also !

January 26, 2012 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
  19. Kat

I watched and I wanted more it was very good! Keifer Sutherland is excellent! Something to look forward to in the spring!

January 26, 2012 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  20. Sly Sadie

I have always liked Kiefer as an actor. Really loved him in 24. I really liked this show. It has an interesting story line. Looking forward to the next show.

January 25, 2012 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Aprille

I'm hooked! Fox you've done it again..

January 25, 2012 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  22. smlr

OMG...Great Show...this is sure to be a big hit!

January 25, 2012 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Adam

So the show just got off. I have to say it felt like i was watching a movie (with commercials). This show has BIG potential and the wife and I will definitely be watching this every week. Great show and look forward to next week.

January 25, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • tonysgirl1959

Adam, sorry to say, but it won't air again until March 19th. I thought it was pretty good! Can't wait to see more! I just hope I remember in March. Love Love Love me some Kiefer! :)

January 26, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Twiggy

Favorite actor ever! So glad Fox brought him back on tv! But he does play a CIA agent like no other ever could! :)

January 25, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  25. William

That new show looks good. Saw some commercials for it.

January 25, 2012 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  26. mminier

Love Kiefer.....always have, always will....my kind of guy! So glad he is back. Way to go FOX!

January 25, 2012 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |