January 24th, 2012

Were there any Oscar surprises?

The nominations for the 84th annual Academy Awards were announced Tuesday morning.

The nominees for best picture are “The Artist,” “The Descendants,” “The Help,” “Moneyball,” “Hugo,” “War Horse,” “Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close,” “The Tree of Life” and “Midnight in Paris.”

The nominees for best director are Michel Hazanavicius (“The Artist”), Alexander Payne (“The Descendants”), Martin Scorsese (“Hugo”), Woody Allen (“Midnight in Paris”) and Terrence Malick (“The Tree of Life”).

The nominees for best actor are George Clooney (“The Descendants”), Brad Pitt (“Moneyball”), Jean Dujardin (“The Artist”), Demian Bichir (“A Better Life”) and Gary Oldman (“Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy”).

The nominees for best actress are Michelle Williams (“My Week with Marilyn”), Meryl Streep (“The Iron Lady”), Viola Davis (“The Help”), Glenn Close (“Albert Nobbs”) and Rooney Mara (“The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo”).

The nominees for best supporting actor are Christopher Plummer (“Beginners”), Nick Nolte (“Warrior”), Kenneth Branagh (“My Week with Marilyn”), Jonah Hill (“Moneyball”) and Max von Sydow (“Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close”).

The nominees for best supporting actress are Melissa McCarthy (“Bridesmaids”), Jessica Chastain (“The Help”), Octavia Spencer (“The Help”), Janet McTeer (“Albert Nobbs”) and Berenice Bejo (“The Artist”).

The nominees for best adapted screenplay are “The Descendants,” “Hugo,” “The Ides of March,” “Moneyball” and “Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.”

The nominees for best original screenplay are “The Artist,” “Bridesmaids,” “Margin Call,” “Midnight in Paris” and “A Separation.”

The nominees for best animated feature are “A Cat in Paris,” “Chico & Rita,” “Kung Fu Panda 2,” “Puss in Boots” and “Rango.”

The 84th annual Academy Awards will be broadcast from the Kodak Theatre in Hollywood on Sunday, February 26. Which were the surprise nods, and who do you think was snubbed?

Click here for the full list of nominees.

1. Anna

too many snubs this year. No Michael Fassbender? Basically no noms for Tinker Tailor? WHAT IS THIS? Im getting tired of the Academy.

January 27, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  2. pm

IN TIME

January 24, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  3. @11:29

U're GAY like a brick aren't u? Lol

January 24, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  4. MadCityBabe

I have to admit my infatuation with the Oscars has waned over the years..............it was a guilty pleasure........but you know they are really rather ridiculous when you think about it.....every year some wins...puts them on the radar....spit out a couple of more movies which usually crap out at the box office...........they they fade away into nothingness............unless you're Meryl Streep

January 24, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. logicnLA

Once again, Hollywood is trying to more of a small film than it is. The decendants is a cute film and entertaining. And if this is a crowning achievement of Clooney's career, some critics need to go see his movies. Like Sidways, Juno and Little Miss Sunshine before it, ths movie has a great PR company behind it trying to make something from lilttle.

January 24, 2012 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  6. Joe T.

I'm still waiting for Moneyball 2. It's the story of where Billy Beane goes insane and sends Jose Canseco a $250 million contract.

January 24, 2012 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  7. christina

i happen to strongly disagree i dont think the actors and actresses are just a bunch of over paid rich people tryna flunt there wealth thats a bunch of crap their nominated for the hard work it takes to make those movies and the time and effort it takes getting into charactor.

January 24, 2012 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  8. SantiagoA

No Michael Fassbender for Shame?

January 24, 2012 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  9. buffin

Once again, the motion picture academy has snubbed ABDULLAH THE BUTCHER with no nomination. This is just awful.

January 24, 2012 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  10. tj

I like watching movies about history of events. I expected more from the Iron Lady expecially more details about what happened during her years as prime minister. Rising to that level from where she was and also being female ios quite a feat regardless of what one thinks of her policies, good or bad. Unfortunately the movie wandered and was unfocused however when it first began and I saw Streep as old Thatcher I was floored. Her mannerisms and speech were just amazing to me. I don't care about the rest of the awards but I think Meryl Streep has to be a frontrunner here.

January 24, 2012 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  11. Rolyat

Would love to see Glen Close finally win an Oscar. She has been nominated many times in the 80's and 90's and should have won.

January 24, 2012 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jeff

As you are likely someone with a mental health problem, I would like to encourage you to seek help for your irrational hatred and apparent obsession.

January 24, 2012 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  13. jerry

I'm disappointed that loose in the pocket didn't get any nominations

January 24, 2012 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  14. JB

One that got wrong, one they got right:

Drive was def better than War Horse and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. No question.

And Nolte totally deserves that best supporting nod. He won't win it but he gives an absolute clinic in Warrior.

January 24, 2012 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  15. Sean

The snub of Leonardo DiCaprio is almost unforgivable. And who the hell is Demian Bichir – I never even heard of "A Better Life." Was it even in theaters? One bright spot in the nominations is the much-deserved Best Actor nod for Gary Oldman. He is one of the finest actors of our time and I am glad to see that the Academy finally gave him some love. I doubt he'll win (with box-office powerhouses Clooney and Pitt in the mix) but it's nice to see him get recognized with a nomination. And only 1 major nomination for "The Ides of March" for Adapted Screenplay?? But no Best Picture nom? I'll never understand that....the Academy recognizes that a movie is well-written but does not include these movies in the Best Picture category. Finally, "The Artist" will win for everything except Best Actor (it's Clooney's to lose.) Yet another movie that wins Best Picture that I have absolutely no interest in seeing.

January 24, 2012 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  16. Tyler

I think that Bryce Dallas Howard who played Hilly Holbrook in The Help should have been nominated, that was a great performance. I thought she did a better job that Jessica Chastain who played Celia Foote, but that's just me...

January 24, 2012 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
    • crnius

I agree completely. I have seen all but a few select movies and performances this year and I felt Bryce's performance was utterly outstanding. I was shocked she wasn't nominated during the Golden Globes, and now no nomination for the oscars makes me wonder if anyone is seeing these films. I loved Chastain's performance, but Bryce virtually made the movie what it was. Without her performance the "Help" would have needed help to be a watchable film. I guess evil characters always have an uphill battle. **sigh** But they are often responsible for the dynamic that makes the film work.

January 24, 2012 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  17. ?!

Wow. I only see g@y men watching this. Lots of g@y men on this blog.

January 24, 2012 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Mr Ed

I ressent that.

January 24, 2012 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
    • ?

I'm offended too. You forgot lesbeans. H0mophobe.

January 24, 2012 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
    • logicnLA

Did you mean GAY men? I'm not sure what g@y are?And it's true, gay men comment on movies while straight men call each other names on sports blogs. So glad to be in America where we can all do what we feel comforatable with!

January 24, 2012 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • CHEEFSFURY

HAHA! LOOK AT THE ANGRY 'MO!

January 24, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Ann

Meryl streep's portrayl of MT with demetia was realistic,captivating. Excellent as always she iS a natin

January 24, 2012 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  19. james

Midnight In Paris was a great escape movie. Woody came up with a fascinating gem that was simple and interesting. Being him, especially these days, must be tough...im sure he wakes up and start obsessing about death right away.

January 24, 2012 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  20. julia baldwin

50/50 got snubbed big time. Should have nominated for best picture and best actor! One of the best acting performances of the year and the picture was better than Midnight in Paris and War Horse.

January 24, 2012 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  21. Let it go dude

All that hate is going to burn you up inside. Seriously, she has mostly been out of the public eye for years. What has she ever done to affect your pathetic little life?

January 24, 2012 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  22. Big Daddy

Sarah Jessica Parker was totally snubbed for best actress in War Horse.

January 24, 2012 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe T.

They didn't nominate her for Flicka either. The academy hates Sarah Jessica Parker!

January 24, 2012 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  23. meg

What a group of women for best actress...poor Mara, overlooked at other shows and not enough attention because of the group but that was an incredible character to master and she did it brilliantly. They all could and should win...

January 24, 2012 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  24. redridinghood70

Very bummed David Fincher was snubbed. And sorry..Tree of Life was boring ass garbage.

January 24, 2012 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  25. Ed

The whole reason the best picture category was extended to up to ten nominees was so that more genres, a wider spectrum could be represented. Over the last few years we've seen nominations for crowd pleasers like Up, Inception, and True Grit. I guess they threw that idea out the window. The Oscars are back to being stuffy, boring, and irrelevant. It's a shame.

January 24, 2012 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
    • be quiet

I wouldn't say they threw the idea out the window completely. There are still 9 best picture nominees.

January 24, 2012 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  26. mbane

Bahhh...does anyone even care about movies anymore? Why only 9 noms for best picture? They couldn't come up with 10? Anyway, Hollywood has no shame giveing themselves awards on the hells of trying to censor free speech and trying to keep every citizen under their control.

January 24, 2012 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  27. Phil in KC

Uncharacteristically, I have not seen many of the movies nominated, although I do still want to see The Artist and Iron Lady. I thought Moneyball was good, but not Oscar-worthy in any particular category. Similarly, I saw Descendents and it was quite good, but again, not sure it rises to the level of Oscar material. Clooney's performance came close. I can agree with The Help being nominated, as well as both supporting actresses. I think Gary Oldman's nomination for Tinker, Taylor is deserved, as was the nomination for screen adaptation. Also, Rooney Mara's performance in Dragon Tattoo was worthy of a nomination, as was Michell Williams in Marilyn. I'm surprised Dragon Tattoo did not get a nomination for screen adaptation. As for animations, I only saw Puss in Boots and Rango; the latter was the better of the two. I also agree with Woody Allen's nomination for Midnight in Paris. I would not have picked Wilson to play lead, though.
    But, what do I know? I'm no critic; I just go and watch them. I average almost one a week, although I've not been as frequent lately.

January 24, 2012 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  28. Marcel

Without a nod for Fast Five, how can anyone be expected to take these things seriously?

January 24, 2012 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe T.

Where is the Hangover nomination? C'mon!

January 24, 2012 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Brian

Fast Five was incredibly stupid, but it still formed an interesting spin on a typical heist film. The sad thing is that it is more deserving of a best picture nod than most of these films.

Also, The Rock for Best Actor... I'm just saying.

January 24, 2012 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  29. Guest

Why did Harry Potter not get nominated??? It was one of the highest grossing movies(and franchise) of all time, so obviously people liked it!

January 24, 2012 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe T.

Well then we may as well just nominate Transformers and Twilight for Oscars then if that is what we are basing it on. Do you remember when Independence Day won the Oscar?

January 24, 2012 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Melissa

Quite a lot of people were very disappointed with the second half of Book 7 as it was adapted to screen. It was overhyped and everyone saw it the first couple weeks, and then it disappeared – because it was so disappointing.

January 24, 2012 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  30. Joe T.

It's been a long time since I've been excited about movies. The only movie in the best picture noms I have any interest in seeing is Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I haven't been to the movies in over a year. I will go to see The Hobbit at the end of the year and I know I will see the Freddie Mercury biopic if it ever comes out. Besides that, I have no interest in spending 40 bucks at the movies.

To be honest, there is nothing to excite audiences anymore. Our big movies are about sparkly vampires or a stammering Shia Labeouf. I find it hard to believe there will ever be anything that excites real audiences like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings or even a Harry Potter. That's not to say good stuff hasn't come out over the years. We had some great movies last year but nothing that has us itching in anticipation.

January 24, 2012 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  31. Phil in KC

January 24, 2012 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  32. pat carr

And those choices are why I don't watch the academy awards anymore and haven't for a while. those are the most rediculous choices ever. there were far better movies than those.

January 24, 2012 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Matt

Which ones? Not disagreeing with you, just wondering if I have seen them and if not and what movies I need to catch up on. Thanks!

January 24, 2012 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  33. KidZoloft

Tom Hardy and Joel Edgerton were incredible in WARRIOR.
    An under rated film that should have been nominated.
    ENOUGH with making statements with nominations.
    Just nom on the basis of merit.

January 24, 2012 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Michael

I agree. At the very least, Tom Hardy should've been nominated for best actor. Whatever though, the Oscars are a joke anyway.

January 24, 2012 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Amy

Absolutely! I'm glad to see Nick Nolte nominated, though. Much deserved!

January 24, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Proud Conservative

ZZZZZZZZZ

January 24, 2012 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  35. Phillip Wynn

I'm the kind of geek or whatever who loved "The Tree of Life." When every other film on the best picture list is forgotten, decades from now that film will be remembered, just like "2001", which in 1968 didn't even get a nomination, but which is now recognized as a cinematic masterpiece.

That said, the unfortunate thing about the Oscars is that so many actors are part of the academy. And if there's one thing you can count on about actors, it's that "I wish they'd bring back the old song-and-dance musicals" is a sentiment wired into their DNA. Given that, it's easy to predict that "The Artist" will win best picture. I'd be willing to put money on it, and I haven't even seen the film.

January 24, 2012 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  36. ?

I'm surprised the Oscars are still televised. Seen one celebrity gibberish-fest you've seen them all. And with the 5 second delay you'll never get anything unscripted or actually interesting.

January 24, 2012 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe T.

People eat up the Oscars. Have you even watched the E network? All you need to get people to watch is promise celebrities.

January 24, 2012 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  37. Alexio

I guess, Hollywood made itself irrelevant. The only movie worth watching is "Midnight in Paris". The rest... I'd rather watch CNN HLN for 1hr 30 min. And they complain about revenue and piracy? Doh! I don't see any movie worth pirating in the list!

January 24, 2012 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
    • D

Midnight in Paris is the only film NOT worth watching. Embarrassing that it's even included here. Woody Allen wrote one draft in his sleep and that was it.

January 24, 2012 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  38. Boot

Gosling for Drive?
    50/50 for best picture? – especially if extremely loud and incredibly stupid was nominated

January 24, 2012 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  39. lori

The cost of censorship to present and future generations all over the world, is simply too high to justify your claim to copyrights when the solution is yours to fix.

Invest in IT to help solve your problem, or change you business model.

If you will not invest in IT to protect your copyrights and you demand world-wide-censorship to protect your income then perhaps you should develop a new skill set.

As a side note: The crap you sell is not worth buying.

It's like going to a garage sell. I might buy it super cheap, or for free, but NO ONE pays full price for the crap your industry

January 24, 2012 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
    • TRH

I must assume you are referring to SOPA and PIPA. These two bills definitely need another look as they ignore unintended or unforeseen consequences.

"As a side note: The crap you sell is not worth buying.
      No one will ever pay full price for the products produced by the "Entertainment" industry."

"Crap" like beauty is in the eye of the beholder my friend. You seem to have a low opinion of the art of film and the craft of acting. I myself have a similar opinion of professional sports....perhaps we're both wrong.

January 24, 2012 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  40. Demara

Michael Fassbender was snubbed, probably the worst snub in a long time.

January 24, 2012 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  41. Angelica

What happen with Ryan Gosling? He deserved to be nominated. He is one of the best actors out there!

January 24, 2012 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  42. WhoCares

Most of us don't care about the 'Oscar's'! Just a bunch of overpaid actors/actresses flaunting their riches! Who cares what outfit by whom, jewelry, etc. they wear! We all take a crap the same way!

January 24, 2012 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
    • CommonSense

EXACTLY! The same with the Grammies and all these other events with people that flaunt their wealth!

January 24, 2012 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Puzzled

January 24, 2012 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
    • PRA

Totally agree! Throw in all the ridiculous sporting events like the Super Bowl and World Series and you're totally set!

January 24, 2012 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
    • TRH

I feel the same way about over-grown chemically enhanced children playing children's games.

January 24, 2012 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
    • TRH

"Yet both of you cared enough to read an article then comment on something you care nothing about."

They are most commonly referred to as "trolls." Don't feed them.

January 24, 2012 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
    • orrigionalbettina

There was a time when the Oscar show was full of surprises and fun. Now it is predictable, uninspired. It's kinda embarrassing to see that Hollywood can't put on a good show.

January 24, 2012 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  43. Ed

Employees at Dreamworks Animation must all be doing backflips right now.

January 24, 2012 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  44. Ryan

Dissappointed that Thomas Horn was not nominated for "Extremely Loud."

January 24, 2012 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  45. Ed

No Best Picture nom for Girl with the Dragon Tattoo?

No Best Animated Film nom for Tin Tin?

No Best Original Score nom for Trent Reznor?

And most surprisingly, Disney doesn't have a Best Animated Film nom? Has that ever happened?

January 24, 2012 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  46. Lanoom

I feel bad for not seeing more of the Animated Films yet, but Rango is my pic.

January 24, 2012 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  47. Tom Matlack

Here's 10 reasons why George will beat Brad, and is a better man: http://bit.ly/A3v9JM

January 24, 2012 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
    • KidZoloft

Get a clue. Jean Dujardin WILL beat them both.

January 24, 2012 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Jay

Complete travesty that DiCaprio got snubbed for J. Edgar. He is one of the finest actors out there, and that was a stellar performance.

January 24, 2012 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Adam

Kidz is right – The Artist is going to win every Oscar it's been nominated for because it's the one movie that nobody's seen and nobody cares about... it happens everytime and it's getting annoying.

January 24, 2012 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
    • karma

best picture are “The Artist,”

best director are Michel Hazanavicius (“The Artist”),

best actor Jean Dujardin (“The Artist”)).

best actress Glenn Close (“Albert Nobbs”)

best supporting actor Christopher Plummer (“Beginners”),

best supporting actress Octavia Spencer (“The Help”)

best adapted screenplay are “Hugo,”

best original screenplay “The Artist,”

best animated feature “Puss in Boots”

January 24, 2012 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |