'Alcatraz' finds its footing in week 2
January 24th, 2012

'Alcatraz' finds its footing in week 2

It became clear in Monday night's third episode of "Alcatraz" that the show's starting to find itself.

It's no secret that there were some adjustments made early on (and subsequently, series co-creator Liz Sarnoff stepped down from her role as "showrunner").

Whatever it was that was done seems to have worked. We got more insight into Jorge Garcia's character of "Doc" Soto (he was the victim of a kidnapping as a child), and even saw some rare flashes of emotion from Sam Neill's Emerson Hauser as he worried about Lucy, who was in the hospital after being shot last week.

"Doc's" very specific knowledge about this particular Alcatraz inmate, and his attempt to go rogue and confront the killer while he was in a diner with a child he kidnapped, was quite a gripping sequence.

I'm also liking "Doc's" chemistry with Detective Madsen more - these characters are playing off each other quite well.

Yet I'm finding myself more curious about the flashbacks. Is the warden somehow connected with this time warp? All does not appear to be as it seems.

That being said, count me in for the rest of the season to see how it goes. Now, here's hoping next week's bank hostage situation episode is not another by-the-numbers rehash of so many similar episodes we have seen on crime dramas in the past.

Are you coming around to "Alcatraz" as well (according to the ratings, quite a few of you seem to be)? And how much do you love Dr. Beauregard? Share your view on iReport or comment below.

1. Old dude

The show is really finding its own. I like Doc Soto! The way they brought him in as a historian/comic writer is genius. They need to touch more on who is pulling the strings and why?? How about a guy that comes back and is reformed?? They also need to address how these former inmates adapt so quickly to the new technology as they come back. Wouldn't they be astounded by the progress? The other thing is how do they come back?? so many questions... I am hooked.

January 26, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joseph Curioca

my wife and I haven been waiting for this show since we saw the commercial. We like the show we are waiting to find out how the grandpa was running from the cops and then in episode 1 you see him at the bar. But not even the cop has tried to put the pieces together about her grandfather.

January 26, 2012 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  3. gacoleman

I'm not impressed so far. Each episode seems to be following the same predictable formula. The actress playing the detective doesn't seem to be a good fit for the role either – she's playing it very bland and unemotional. Doesn't hold my interest at all.

January 25, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Paul

Love the Vancouver scenery(oops I mean San Francisco)

January 25, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  5. DERRY'O

I wasn't to sure about the show at first but now am thinking it may work but i think the flashbacks are the better part of the show. I also think that the detective charter is too young and the actress playing her is trying too hard in every way and
    replacing her with and older charter would make the show flow better?

January 25, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. CK

I knew Lucy was from the past when Emerson said to her "well you always wanted kids, now you've got them" referring to the detective and Doc. I knew she was older and she may even be Emerson's wife or something along those lines. Wish the detective was played by someone else however. She is too young to be portraying a detective, and one so jaded.

January 25, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Lost in translation

So, they haven't said why Jacob brought them all to Alcatraz yet?

January 25, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  8. CalCityGuy

It's got to be about a timer travel experiment by someone, on the staff and inmates. It goes wrong, they can't get the guys back, and had to fake all their deaths over the years.

January 25, 2012 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  9. Frigate

I really liked the episode where the situation spent the night in alcatraz, then snookie and deana got drunk, then vinny went home to momma, then ronnie and sammi were "done", then the unit got arrested, then...

January 25, 2012 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  10. JAB

Finally a good series that is not a "reality show". Very suspenseful but will probably be cancelled like all other good shows.

January 25, 2012 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  11. Greg

Great show, I agree with the author. It took awhile for this show to come together and I hope that they go and give us some more background on Sam Neill's character. The Dr. is great. One question, the first guy they caught, I think he might be used later on as part of the team to help. Kinda out there but just a feeling.

January 25, 2012 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  12. SoTex Jo

Like it but hesitant to get into it. I'm worried it will turn out to be another "Lost" where we beg for answers for 5 years and then get a hastily thrown together wimpy ending.

January 25, 2012 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
  13. Heidi

Well, we know Hauser was a guard at Alcatraz the night they "disappeared." I might be one of the few people in the world that didn't watch Lost – lol – so I'm really enjoying the show. Something new and different, and interesting.

January 25, 2012 at 5:35 am | Report abuse |
  14. Sam

Isn't this show written by the Lost writer?

January 24, 2012 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Steve

It bugs me that the music is so similar to Lost. Even the rattling "gates closing" noise is like the smoke monster sounds in Lost.

January 24, 2012 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Roy

What I didn't get was, if Doc is so emotinally invested in rescuing the kidnapped child, why didn't he just wrap his arms around the kidnapper as he walked past him in the diner, throw him to the floor and lay his 300 pounds on him? Surely the kid would tell everyone that he was a kidnap victim and I doubt the kidnapper (let alone two or three of him) could have lifted Doc off until Doc was good and ready to let him up; i.e. when the cops arrived. Letting the kidnapper get outside seemed unlikely for anyone, let alone someone who was a kidnap victim himself and knew that this kid was on the verge of being killed.

January 24, 2012 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Eddy

Just what we DON"T need – another LOST.
    And that obese guy is not a good actor – never has been.

January 24, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  18. wr

Meh. It's a dumb, predictable show, where the characters are all three steps behind the viewer. Next!

January 24, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  19. LAY-DEE

LOL- Great comments. I agree with all of you.

January 24, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  20. mary

What do you think of Mitts vulpine vulture like smile? He looks like he eats us normal people for breakfast. Definitly a creepy dude.

January 24, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  21. rick 4

Probably best new show of the year. Love the Romney comment btw-he is hellarepulsive.

January 24, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Alexander

I really like this show. Wish they would have arrested that repulsive vulture corporate raider mitt romney and put him in alcatraz though.

January 24, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |