84th Academy Awards: The nominees list
January 24th, 2012

84th Academy Awards: The nominees list

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences have announced their nominees for the 84th Academy Awards.

Check out the list below, and see who will take home the Oscar on Sunday, February 26. Are there any nods that surprise you?

Best picture

• "War Horse"
  • "The Artist"
  • "Moneyball"
  • "The Descendants"
  • "The Tree of Life"
  • "Midnight in Paris"
  • "The Help"
  • "Hugo"
  • "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close"

Actor

• Demián Bichir, "A Better Life"
  • George Clooney, "The Descendants"
  • Jean Dujardin, "The Artist"
  • Gary Oldman, "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy"
  • Brad Pitt, "Moneyball"

Actress

• Glenn Close, "Albert Nobbs"
  • Viola Davis, "The Help"
  • Rooney Mara, "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"
  • Meryl Streep, "The Iron Lady"
  • Michelle Williams, "My Week with Marilyn"

Supporting actor

• Kenneth Branagh, "My Week With Marilyn"
  • Jonah Hill, "Moneyball"
  • Nick Nolte, "Warrior"
  • Christopher Plummer, "Beginners"
  • Max von Sydow "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close"

Supporting actress

• Bérénice Bejo, "The Artist"
  • Jessica Chastain, "The Help"
  • Melissa McCarthy, "Bridesmaids"
  • Janet McTeer, "Albert Nobbs"
  • Octavia Spencer, "The Help"

Director

• Michel Hazanavicius, "The Artist"
  • Alexander Payne, "The Descendants"
  • Woody Allen, "Midnight in Paris"
  • Terrence Malick, "The Tree of Life"
  • Martin Scorsese, "Hugo"

Animated feature

• "The Artist"

Adapted screenplay

• "The Descendants"
  • "Hugo"
  • "The Ides of March"
  • "Moneyball"
  • "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy"

Best foreign language

• "Bullhead" (Belgium)
  • "Footnote" (Israel)
  • "In Darkness" (Poland)
  • "Monsieur Lazhar" (Canada)
  • "A Separation" (Iran)

Art direction

• “The Artist”
  • “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2”
  • “Hugo”
  • “Midnight in Paris”
  • “War Horse”

Cinematography

• “The Artist”
  • “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo”
  • “Hugo”

• “Raju”
  • “The Shore”
  • “Time Freak”
  • “Tuba Atlantic”

Sound editing

• “Drive”
  • “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo”
  • “Hugo”
  • “Transformers: Dark of the Moon”
  • “War Horse”

Sound mixing

• “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo”
  • “Hugo”
  • “Moneyball”
  • “Transformers: Dark of the Moon”
  • “War Horse”

Animated short film

• “Dimanche/Sunday”
  • “The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore”
  • “La Luna”
  • “A Morning Stroll”
  • “Wild Life”

Original song

• “Man or Muppet” from “The Muppets”
  • “Real in Rio” from “Rio”

Film editing

• “The Artist”
  • “The Descendants”
  • “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo”
  • “Hugo”
  • “Moneyball”

Makeup

• “Albert Nobbs”
  • “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2”
  • “The Iron Lady”

Original score

• “The Adventures of Tintin”
  • “The Artist”
  • “Hugo”
  • “Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy”
  • “War Horse”

Documentary feature

• “Hell and Back Again”
  • “If a Tree Falls: A Story of the Earth Liberation Front”
  • “Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory”
  • “Pina”
  • “Undefeated”

Documentary short subject

• “The Barber of Birmingham: Foot Soldier of the Civil Rights Movement”
  • “God Is the Bigger Elvis”
  • “Incident in New Baghdad”
  • “Saving Face”
  • “The Tsunami and the Cherry Blossom”

Visual effects

• “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2”
  • “Hugo”
  • “Real Steel”
  • “Rise of the Planet of the Apes”
  • “Transformers: Dark of the Moon”

Filed under: Awards Season • Oscars 2012

1. Ryleev Piccuilloz

With havin so much content do you ever run into any issues of plagorism or copyright violation? My blog has a lot of unique content I've either authored myself or outsourced but it looks like a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my permission. Do you know any techniques to help prevent content from being stolen? I'd really appreciate it.

July 4, 2012 at 4:58 am | Report abuse |
  2. Nescafe Dolce Gusto

Thank you for another great article. The place else could anybody get that kind of info in such an ideal approach of writing? I've a presentation next week, and I am on the look for such information.

April 10, 2012 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. papijump online

It is in reality a nice and useful piece of information. I am glad that you shared this useful information with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

April 1, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  4. how to get ipad for free

Magnificent issues altogether, you simply won a brand new reader. What might you suggest in regards to your publish that you made a few days ago? Any positive?

April 1, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  5. 19esmiopa50

Leonardo Di Caprio is an amazingingly gifted actor and should have won numerous oscars. The Oscars are just sooooo screwed up today and hugely political. I'm done watching all the BS. I'm going back to watching true classic acting on TCM. P.S. Meryl Streep is in a class all her own - no one today can hold a candle to this lady's multi-talents. She is for sure the greatest female actress alive.

January 26, 2012 at 4:06 am | Report abuse |
  6. Lola

Now just why isn't Ryan Gosling's name on this list of Best actor Nominees? Somebody really messed up bad when they left him off...also The Ides Of March and Drive should have both been on the Best Movie lists. The critics gave them high scores, the movie goers noted them as well. Ryan's acting was praised by the critics in every film he was in this past year. What's going on here?

January 25, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. M

my prediction: Streep and Clooney

January 25, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Gary Wolf

You are all idiots. Get a life. Leave mom's basement and get a job. Losers.

January 24, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jesse

To all you Angry People: the choices are all subjective, so just relax and enjoy the show. Or, more likely for many of you: complain more once the results are in.

January 24, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  10. PJ

The Descendants was one of the worst movies of the year for me. George Clooney is so monotone there is no way he can be called a great actor. Now, Meryl Streep on the other hand is a treasure for the century and she did an outstanding job with The Iron Lady. I would vote for The Actor as best film; Jean Dujardin as the best Actor and Meryl Streep for best Actress. Best film: The Actor.

January 24, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  11. dtcpr

it greatly disturbs me that Bridesmaids is nominated for an Oscar. I means this is the Oscars and that was stupid and crude comedy and The Hangover did it better (and I'm a woman).

January 24, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Gary H

Nothing for Ryan Gosling?

January 24, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Tom

I'm going to go rent all the nominated movies! ...and watch The Tree of Life for the 7th time!! uuhuuuu!!!

January 24, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Genevieve

Cannot believe Shame, Fassbenber, and Mulligan were snubbed. The Oscars are getting really pathetic.

January 24, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Manuelson

Meryl Streep for best actress. George Clooney for best actor.

January 24, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Natalie

George Clooney and Brad Pitt do not deserve nominations for Moneyball and The Descendants. Their acting lacked luster, character and failed to invoke any emotion. I'm never a fan of Pitt, although I am adult enough to admit he was amazing as Benjamin Button and did deserve that Oscar! I am a fan of Clooney, although I've discovered I'm more a fan of his face and good looks than his acting. His acting never fails to make me sleepy. I'm not sure that he even acts rather than just plays himself in all his movies. If Clooney and Pitt get noms this year then I certainly think Dicaprio should be nominated for J. Edgar. Although I found the organization and flow of that movie to be awful I thought Dicaprio's acting was tremendous. In addition, at least his movie had some true meaning behind it.
    Moral of my story, whoever nominates and chooses the winners for the Oscars are the most annoying people I've ever not met. It's all about politics and has nothing to do with true talent. I'm convinced Clooney and Pitt are either paying people or they've agreed to date someone's daughter.

January 24, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Martin

I wish that "The Debt" had been nominated for something. That movie was amazing!

January 24, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Randy

Not one nomination for J. Edgar – DiCaprio should have been nominated for Best Actor. The Living Proof (Mary J. Blige) from The Help should have gotten a nomination for Original Song.

January 24, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  19. WillyWonka

Drive receiving one nomination..REALLY!?

Pitiful how such a great movie with great acting (Albert Brooks especially) gets the cold shoulder because it is "too violent" or "different" than these typical Best Picture garbage spit out each year.

January 24, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  20. RULEZ

I feel Oscar nomination are prejudice in nature. I still cant understand why Jim Carrey didn't get nominated for "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" . Its my fav movie. The more I see this movie more I feel that the nomination are prejudice.

January 24, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  21. mcc

Why is it the Academy still can't give Spielberg any respect? War Horse is nominated for Best Picture but he doesn't get a best director nomination. Pure B.S.

January 24, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  22. AlexKrycek

Why did that chick form "Brides Maid" Melissa McCarthyget a nod? she just played the role Zach Galifianakis plays in all his movies, was there something special about her part that I didin't catch? or is it becase she's a woman in comedy and she's fat? Please enlighten me.

January 24, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  23. Logan

While I admittedly haven't seen all of these films, the biggest snub in my eyes is DRIVE. Awesome movie.

January 24, 2012 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  24. Liutgard

The one who really got robbed was Alan Rickman, His work in Harry Potter Deathly Hallows pt2 was jaw-droppingly good. He should have got the nod for Supporting. I cried, and I don't cry at movies.

January 24, 2012 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  25. lilgtogirl

This is the worst year of nominees in many years. Moneyball? Really? What is Hollywood's obsession with Pitt's lack of talent. Watching him try to act is more uncomfortable than watching a little kid sing "Tomorrow" in a bad key. And how is there no rule against nominating a movie that was already done before and BETTER? Without a doubt, I will not even be watching. This year was a failure.

January 24, 2012 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  26. L

Clearly, most of these are bought and paid for. The majority of these movies are mediocre to downright terrible and the actors nominated are nothing special.

January 24, 2012 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  27. Tony

Jeff and Lina, Palin fans are we? I mean, lighten up. it's only a little humor. Geesh!

January 24, 2012 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  28. jason

Chris Cornell got absolutely robbed by not being nominated for Best Song from Machine Gun Preacher. The other two are AWFUL.

January 24, 2012 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  29. Eric

Wow, Drive got snubbed. "Extremely Loud" was a critical flop, and yet it makes it? At a certain point the academy needs to stop confusing "standards" with "snobbery."

January 24, 2012 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  30. Wes

What nothing for Sucker-Punch, it is a conspiracy I tell you. No wonder I never watch this stupid awards show!

January 24, 2012 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Alan Smithee

Sorry, Wes, the Acadamy eliminated best teenaged boy's fantasy wardrobe last year. Not after the scandal of Megan Fox not getting a nod for any of the Transformer movies. They couldn't take the bad PR.

January 24, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Snacklefish

"Drive" gets one nomination. That's the Hollywood shaft.

January 24, 2012 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  32. Andy R

Hugo!!!!!

January 24, 2012 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  33. Jim T

This is breaking news because millions of people have been waiting for the nominations and because film making is a huge industry.

January 24, 2012 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  34. marcos hill

TIN TIN ?????? One of the best movies ever produced, state of the art, innovative !!! Peter Jackson & Spielberg..!! What a combination...

January 24, 2012 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  35. Angeline S

What? No Leonardo Dicaprio?? Give this man an Oscar please!! he is so over due for one!! Such a great actor!

January 24, 2012 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  36. Lina

I agree with Jeff. What does Sarah Palin have to do with the Oscars? You are a step below a moron!!

January 24, 2012 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  37. anonymousD

Wow nice Belgium film nominated! 'Bullhead' has a good chance, now that Iran is being sanctioned internationally surely an Iranian film won't win and that leaves only Bullhead since it has won a lot of awards too. Very happy mediocre films and actors like Dicaprio, Harry Potter, Twilight and others were not nominated. Biggest mistake: choosing Kung Fu Panda 2 and Puss in Boots and not Tintin? That's one of the best animated films ever. Plus, Bridesmaids? C'mon, films like that are not worthy of even being invited to the Red Carpet.

January 24, 2012 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  38. Elgranreyes

The rules were changed to ten best picture nominees from five back in 2009, but this year, they altered the equation. Now it's a minimum of five and a maximum of ten. The nominees need to have gotten a set number of top votes. It's difficult math, but this new formula allows for a changing number every year and it assures the nominees are the ones most enthusiastically received.

January 24, 2012 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  39. jamest

These all suck

January 24, 2012 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  40. John

What happened to the Doco SENNA you clowns

January 24, 2012 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  41. james

honestly cant believe Michael Fassbender wasnt nominated,i actually thought there would be no way he could be left out after seeing him in shame.

January 24, 2012 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  42. drago

Glad to see at least one of the two best movies of the year nominated – The Tree of Life. The other one is missing – Melancholia.

Why no Tintin for best animated movie is beyond me.

January 24, 2012 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Brian

Tree of Life was awful and a prime example of pretentious self-indulgent cinema, a movie that wants desperately to be regarded as artistic.

January 24, 2012 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
    • anonymousD

Wow nice Belgium film nominated! 'Bullhead' has a good chance, now that Iran is being sanctioned internationally surely an Iranian film won't win and that leaves only Bullhead since it has won a lot of awards too. Very happy mediocre films and actors like Dicaprio, Harry Potter, Twilight and others were not nominated. Biggest mistake: choosing Kung Fu Panda 2 and Puss in Boots and not Tintin??? That's one of the best animated films ever. Plus, Bridesmaids? C'mon, films like that are not worthy of even being invited to the Red Carpet.

January 24, 2012 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
    • shahin2102

Anonymous: Iran has won tons, and I mean TONS of movie awards, actually to the point that they might not win this time because they've already won so many countless times before and with good reason. A separation is a really good movie with a nice moral in the end. Bullshead is kinda... pessimistic just for the sake of being pessimistic, you know what I mean?
      It might not be A separation, but it won't be Bullshead either, IMO.

January 24, 2012 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • The Sponge

Agreed on all three counts, Drago.

January 24, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marita

I expected to see Melancholia here too as well, such a waste!

January 24, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Andy Serkis?!

Seriously? No nod for Andy Serkis?!?! Get with it, Oscars!

January 24, 2012 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  44. Jayjay

I highly recommend you go see Bullhead, it's a terrific movie !

January 24, 2012 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  45. Luke

This is what upsets me about the Oscars: it is completely political. Where is 'Drive'? Ryan Gosling played an extraordinary role in this film not to mention one of the most stellar soundtracks to any film I have ever seen and not one bid in any category.

January 24, 2012 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  46. Miriam

OOps thanks trruck, You're right Contraband came out around Jan 12, my error. Well then good, it has a excellent chance for next year. (^.^)

January 24, 2012 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  47. Roger

Once again Leonardo DiCaprio gets the shaft from the Academy. I can't believe Michael Fassbender didn't get a nod for Shame. I've been watching the Oscars for years and every year deserving actors, actresses and pictures get overlooked because the academy members do not take into account the movie going public in their decisions. Shame on you academy!

January 24, 2012 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
    • DiCaprio Fan

Leonardo DiCaprio is LONG overdue for an Academy Award. He's had numerous deserving roles, but he never gets the credit for it. He's one of the greatest actors of this generation, but he never gets the respect he deserves from the Academy.

January 24, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  48. oftroy

I expected to see 10 Best Picture nominees. I only count 9.

January 24, 2012 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  49. Terry in Florida

I wonder if Streep will get screwed out of the Oscar again. I honestly don't know what keeps her going. So many times she should have won...

As for Best Picture, my vote goes with Moneyball. Most well rounded pic of the bunch.

January 24, 2012 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Takeshi

Cand stii ftorae precis, asta deja inseamna determinare, claritate, hotarare.Nu mai incape loc de ar trebui, as vrea Astea se transforma in trebuie si vreau.Cel cu pistolul in ceafa, n-as spune ca debordeaza de hotarare si stapanire de sine; ceilati doi fac si ei ce pot, ca n-or fi in stare sa convinga altfel :)

February 13, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Mr

Tree of life was awful I don't see why this movie gets any credit. It's pretty bad when one of the stars (Sean Penn) doesn't even know why he's in the movie.

January 24, 2012 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  51. Brian

This year has been really lacklustre for movies. This should make the run for best picture interesting because there is no clear cut winner. I am very unenthused about this list. Where are the powerhouse films? Every year in recent memory has had at least one film that could sweep audiences out of their chairs and leave them stunned, but this year, nothing. Even with the expanded roster this is one of the weakest years in a long time.

January 24, 2012 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  52. tankflynn

umm... this isn't a "complete" list of categories, now IS it? ...where are the nominees for editing, sound and etc. ??

January 24, 2012 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  53. Jeff

Obviously, you desire a response, since there is absolutely no rational reason for your post. Here it is...you are a moron!

January 24, 2012 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  54. TheDude

Meryl Streep again? really again???????????? how can you say this isn't a political best friends party self suckfest when its the same crap every year. I'm so glad my generation is burning and looting this industry with the help of the internet.

January 24, 2012 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
    • wilson

It's probably because she is a great actress and it's not a popularity contest? I wonder what you'll watch after you're done burning and looting. Moron.

January 24, 2012 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  55. anthony

WOW! NO MAJOR OSCAR NOMINATIONS FOR HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS. IM SHOCKED!

January 24, 2012 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  56. Miriam

We saw Contraband and War Horse, both great and exceptionally good.. I am surprised that Contraband didn't get in there. The reason why I think this is because it is such a good movie about smuggling, a violent and dangerous 'occupation', but not displaying a lot of violence, more mental strategy, great movie and Mark Wahlberg, is great in it. War Horse too, great movie, totally deserves nomination.

January 24, 2012 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
    • trruck

Contraband missed the deadline, it only came out this past weekend, right?

January 24, 2012 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
    • derptard

It's also a terrible movie, it only got a 48% fresh rating on rotten tomatoes. Looks like another dumb Marky Mark action movie like Shooter. And you wonder why it wasn't nominated for an oscar? Seriously?

January 24, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  57. Jeff

"The Tree of Life" was nominated for best picture, and Malick for best director? I heard many people actually booed and walked out of this film, because it was so bad. I guess the Hollywood "elite" think more of it than the commoners...

January 24, 2012 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Just a commoner

I booed and walked out of War Horse, and it got 6 nominations. What's your point?

January 24, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

The Tree of Life is the best movie ever!
      If the religious references bothered you...just ignore and take it as just a metaphysical point of view... come on, what part of that movie you didn't like? Did you watch it at least twice?
      I did, 6 times!!... :P

January 24, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Jack

Glad to see The Help nominated.

January 24, 2012 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  59. Rosebud

Why are there so many nominations for best picture?

January 24, 2012 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  60. Giorgia Levas

The "Descendants" a beautiful, meaningful movie with great Hawaiian music pulling the story together. Great music, acting and Directing.

January 24, 2012 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  61. Eric D

What a joke that CNN considers this "breaking news"!!!!!

January 24, 2012 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Badoink

i know. it sure isn't going to improve the economy that's for sure.

January 24, 2012 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Logan

Must be news enough for you to click on it, read it, and take the time to comment on it. CNN's job isn't to help the economy last time I checked.

January 24, 2012 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  62. Tom Matlack

Here's a funny list of reasons why George will win and Brad won't:

January 24, 2012 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  63. Ray

Let's give the Academy credit for naming 5 animated choices instead of the top 3.

January 24, 2012 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  64. Tricia

I am so happy to see that Nick Nolte was nominated for Warrior. He was GREAT!

January 24, 2012 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  65. KidZoloft

Tom Hardy and Joel Edgerton were incredible in WARRIOR.
    An under rated film that should have been nominated.

January 24, 2012 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  66. Michelle

"Tree of Life" ??? That movie was terrible!

January 24, 2012 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Phil

I have to agree. It had some moments, but overall, I was waiting for it all to work...and it never did. When it ended, I said huh?

January 24, 2012 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
    • NKBL

I liked "The Tree of Life" but it was a bit abstract. Not sure it was best picture but should get an award for cinematography.

January 24, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Tom

What? That was just the best movie ever created...
      I still don't get it why some people do not like that movie... is it the religion "references"?

January 24, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • trueblue

"Tree of Life" was a waste of my money and time. I can't believe it was nominated-ick!!

January 24, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Wring. Wonderful film. You're just angry because "Transformers" didn't get a Best Pic non; perhaps by the time the fourteenth sequel comes out it will get some academy love.

January 24, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Observer

A bunch of Hollywood liberals congratulating each other. Snooze.

January 24, 2012 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
    • MAry

When something makes you snooze you don't make the time and effort to leave a message that it makes you snooze! MORON!

January 24, 2012 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Disnardo

Are you Dunst's plbiucist, because no one is talking about her getting a nomination and EVERYONE is talking about Williams.

February 13, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  68. bthack

Tintin should have been nominated in animated

January 24, 2012 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  69. Wally Wolf

I think Meryl Streep should win best actress. As a matter of fact, I think she should have won several times before this, but I guess the Academy thinks after you've won a few times or if you're over 40 that you're done. She's the best actress of our time and for someone to beat her again for an Oscar is a joke. No one is better than Meryl. Maybe that's the problem.

January 24, 2012 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Robert

Totally agree!! When you consider all the films she has been in since Sophies Choice (1983), almost thirty years ago and no win, it is truly unbelievable that Streep has not won more Oscars...Meryl will win her 3rd Oscar this year not only for The Iron Lady but for all of her past performances during the last 30 years!!

January 24, 2012 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Robert

BTW, it is Streep's 17th nomination!!!

January 24, 2012 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Ken/Toronto

It's been nearly 30 years since Ms. Streep won for "Sophie's Choice". She is inarguably the most spectacular film actress of our time. Her body of work is astounding. She is long overdue for the Academy Award and deserves it for Iron Lady".

January 24, 2012 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  70. adiek84

Reblogged this on Adiek84's Blog and commented:
    Here are the Oscar nominees! What are your favourites?

January 24, 2012 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  71. Trevor

People stopped caring about the Oscar's years ago.

January 24, 2012 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
    • wilson

No... just you.

January 24, 2012 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
    • abcd

You are exactly right! WHO CARES?! It tainted any ways!

January 24, 2012 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
    • KMW

Trevor, I agree with you. I wish they would make better movies and then maybe I would go back to the movie theatres. I prefer watching TCM for their wonderful classic movies and save money at the same time.

January 24, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryan

Yet, you care enough to read through an article and take time out of your day to post about it. LOL. I'll be awaiting your "The Oscars suck so bad" comments after you spend 4 hours watching the entire telecast just to let people know how much it sucked. Get a life, man.

January 24, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim Dandey

And proper grammar around the same time, apparently...

January 25, 2012 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Shane

I think Nick Nolte was SUPERB in "Warrior" and I hope he gets the Oscar!

January 24, 2012 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Alan Smithee

Warrior was my favorite film of last year and I do not like MMA. Such an outstanding picture and a very worthy nomination. Perhaps it will get the movie some much needed recognition now.

January 24, 2012 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  73. Shane

I can't believe that "Margin Call" only got one nomination. Without a doubt one of the best films of the year.

January 24, 2012 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
    • smithsdawg

Strongly agreed, but I am glad it least got a nod. That was better than I expected.

January 24, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  74. nivk

it is a SHAME that Michael Fassbender didn't get nominated for shame -_-
    Oscars are getting a lil old when the same people win every time
    by that I mean Clooney/Streep don't get me wrong they are good actor
    but just give a recognition to new talent!!

January 24, 2012 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
    • mybit

nivk: I totally agree and hope Michael will have his day soon. He is a Great Actor to be reckoned with.

January 24, 2012 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
    • derptard

Clooney hasn't won a best actor oscar.

January 24, 2012 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • lefevre

If you are the best you can win Oscar 10 times and it's all right. That's how it works.

January 24, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim Dandey

Streep, although nominated many times, hasn't won since 1982 (Sophie's Choice)...

January 25, 2012 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  75. danat86

The Help nominated for Oscar? Why? Because it was about black people who were working? Are you serious? People are trying to show they are not racist too hard. The Help sucked as a movie. My vote would go for Hugo or Midnight in Paris.

January 24, 2012 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
    • mmad5camp

danat86, who saw Midnight in Paris or Hugo?

January 24, 2012 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Shelly

It has nothing to do with that genius. It has to do with the acting.

January 24, 2012 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Nuke Johnson

Stupid, immature remark!

January 24, 2012 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
    • abcd

You are probably one of those racist people making this comment! If it was an all white cast you probably would think it was the greatest movie such as.....drum roll please................Girl With The Dragon Tatoo! Yuck!

January 24, 2012 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Pat

or, they're trying to show they are.

January 24, 2012 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
    • mybit

danat86 You certainly out of touch. No one really gives a hoot about Black or white. The awards are presented on merit and not on emotional basis. Grow up mate!

January 24, 2012 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
    • michael

your the gd racist. your comment makes in plain.

January 24, 2012 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
    • merit?

merit? are you kidding, you must be kidding. you know that they lobby and spends lots of cash to influence the voting.

you probably think the motion picture rating system is unbiased and solely based on content applied fairly and squarely accross the board as well.

I think you need to look a little deeper into the money making machine that hollywood is and enjoy it for the story telling machine it is with out applying false motives or unearned honesty to the hollywood corporation

January 24, 2012 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Dennis

I am white and not prejudice as you seem to be and if you want people of any color to work then get rid of Obama. Now as to The Help, it was a good film that had heart and humor with great acting from two black actresses. But Hugo and Midnight in Paris??? Just more artsy films from Scorsesse and Woody Allen (critics favorites) who's best work is behind them and no matter what they make the Academy swoons over them. The Academy has lost it's credibility years ago anyway and their little awards mean nothing, i mean come on The English Patient, Shakespeare in Love and Crash as best picture!!! Oscar is now the joke of the party sort of like Obama is to his.

January 24, 2012 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
    • wow

you worked Obama into the discussion

pretty funny and interesting dance work as a writer

January 24, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
    • eugleena6

totally agree! the help put me to sleep! & whoever was in charge of emma stone's hair should be banned from hair & make-up for life – snap!

January 24, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard Fore

Leave danat86 alone, he speaks the plain-old, simple truth!

January 24, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • SJA

I like how Obama gets draged into a conversation about the Oscars. I think we should blame him for the Cruise crash in Italy and Katrina, why not he's black. This has nothing to do with the Help being up for an Oscar, you showed your age and IQ in your brief rant. Fox news is looking for more people to comment on there stories stick to your calling. A Spade is a Spade.

January 24, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  76. CJ

I loved Moneyball as well as the Decendants.

January 24, 2012 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  77. Leo

I have very little interest in anything else. Hugo maybe, and definitely Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, being a native-New Yorker.

January 24, 2012 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  78. Leo

Rooney Mara for Girl with the Dragon Tatoo!

January 24, 2012 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |