Steven Tyler's national anthem performance draws critics
January 23rd, 2012

Steven Tyler's national anthem performance draws critics

The national anthem has become one of the trickiest performances for even an experienced pro to belt out, as proved by Steven Tyler's latest effort.

The Aerosmith frontman tackled "The Star-Spangled Banner" at Sunday's AFC Championship football game, but not everyone was impressed.

Some were as harsh as former "Idol" judge Simon Cowell, with ESPN commentator Skip Bayless tweeting, "How could Patriots be inspired by that awful [a]nthem sung by Steven Tyler? At least give him some screaming guitars to camouflage voice."

The Bleacher Report warned Tyler, who now sits on "Idol's" judging panel, that if he were to ever turn in that performance on the Fox competition show, he wouldn't be earning a golden ticket.

"He tried to add his trademark scream to give it some pizzazz and signature feel, but it was too late," the Bleacher Report recaps. "This will go down as one of those horrible celebrity renditions of the national anthem."

Deadspin, meanwhile, is trying to figure out if Tyler's performance would win in a "worst national anthem performance of all time" competition, while Gawker has tried to let him down easy. "Steven definitely deserves an A+ for effort," the site says, "but maybe his singing voice just shouldn't leave the station again anytime soon."

Check out the clip above: Was his performance classic Steven Tyler, or should he stay away from attempting the national anthem in the future?

Filed under: Aerosmith • Celebrities • Music

1. Brootocem

Hello,

I have stopped at several different online forums and communities, but i never get excited till i discovered your community. Actually, It's a joy for me to subscribe to your own wonderful community. it really is sure that i'm going to get a lot of information by simply subscribing to your great web site. you are doing good and keep the great work always.

February 18, 2012 at 6:22 am | Report abuse |
  2. ziegfeldf

Besides, Jimi Hendrix retired the jersey on that song a long time ago...

January 28, 2012 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  3. karen evangelista

I liked it

January 26, 2012 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jim Dandey

Not only did he butcher the song, he dressed like an idiot. Totally disrespectful...

January 25, 2012 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. richard

Really. He's Steven Tyler. The Patriots and the network knew it would be a Tyler-esque version of the National Anthem. If Bob Dylan sang the National Anthem, would you complain you couldn't understand the lyrics...? No! Because, he's Bob Dylan! Tyler was respectful while delivering the Anthem in a manner in which he knows how to perform.

January 25, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  6. atypical

the song was fine, geezus.

social and economic equality, however, is not.

let's work it out.

January 25, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  7. LOthar

Based on the CNN article I expected MUCH, MUCH worse. I listened to it, it was really good. Their is simply too much hate in this world.

January 25, 2012 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
  8. me

I don't think there was anything wrong with the way he sung it. He was in pitch and didn't sound bad and even was able to add in his signature scream. Why does everyone make such a big deal over nothing?

January 24, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. anna

I think this man is just so ugly!

I would hate to acknowledge him as my father.

January 24, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • vickeyd

what is your criteria for a person to be deemed "ugly"? Anna, you should let us see a picture of you ! Bet it'd be like the pot calling the kettle black.

January 24, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. humanone

His rendition was ok for this type of sport. Otherwise – he sucked!~
    He should never sing a capella.

January 24, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. vickeyd

Professional singer or not...NO ONE singing the anthem should be criticized by anyone for the sound of their voice. It is what it is, and as long as the anthem is sung from the heart, and heard with the heart, then it was a job well done.

January 24, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jeff in Atlanta

I thought Stevens rendition was great. I loved his trademark screams? near the end.
    Watch the broadcast again. Notice how many fans are singing along with Steven by the end of the song.
    They wouldn't have been singing along if they hadn't like it.
    Contrast that with how many were singing along with Kristin Chenoweth in San Francisco. They were cheering near the end. But they weren't singing.

January 24, 2012 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  13. mrb

LOVED IT! he was who he is and that is a rocker. he sounded good! I was thinking it was going to be bad and it wasn't, why are people so negative?

January 24, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  14. Navin

You ask Steven Tyler to sing the National Anthem, you get Steven Tyler singing the National Anthem. It sounded just like everything else Steven Tyler ever sang. The scarf was awesome though!

January 24, 2012 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  15. Michelle

Let's see – he was off key at least part of the time and missed a few words, but for him, not too bad. It's a shame that
    Brad Delp isn't around any more. If they wanted a rock singer from the Boston area to sing the national anthem, Brad would have sounded a HECK of a lot better. BTW, who was the girl who sang the national anthem at the San Fran-Giants game? SHE could actually sing!

January 24, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  16. Karma

@ Marko..Is this "Marko" Hudson, Steven Tyler's "best" friend? Also, I would pick an Opera singer ANY day over a sixty year old has been, that has burnt his heart and voice out on hard living. Mr. Domingo has more talent in one pinky than Steven could WISH to have for one second. Plus, Domingo acts his age. What is up with all these old men who dress in drag? feathers, different colored beards, poorly matched clothes. You are not young anymore...give it up....No amount of face lifts, money, clothes, will bring back your youth or happiness.

January 24, 2012 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  17. pablo

Well, i read below and it's all been said. He can't sing, never could. He is a screaming man that used to look like a girl and now looks like an old woman. This seems to suit America's taste for entertainment.

January 24, 2012 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  18. lori

Our "Entertainment" industry at it's best. Portraying crap to the world. Thanks for the public image. Now you want World Wide Web censorship to protect your "copyrights for crap". Boycott the industry, now and forever. They have demanded too much.

January 24, 2012 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  19. guitarharry

Tyler sang the song straight. It was in key. He did not add any "style" to it. It was fine. The crowd loved it. Christinia Aguilera ruined the song last year by singing it like she was in heat.

January 24, 2012 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  20. Gary

He was fine. It was what you would expect from this type of singer. He's not an opera singer. You would expect something a little rough around the edges, hard rock sounding. There have been plenty that were truly awful trying to sing the national anthem. This is not it.

January 24, 2012 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  21. Marti

He sucked. the only thing I enjoyed about it was the thousands that sang along with him. You don't see that very often.

January 24, 2012 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  22. v.

I would rather hear Steven Tyler give this hard song his very best than hear "good" singers that you just know are going to do a fabulous job of it and end up making you cringe when you hear them trying to change it up and show off their skills. There are very few national anthem performances that I think are really straight forward good, so I go by whether they were trying to sing the song to the best of their ability on a difficult stage or use it as a way of showing off and making me feel embarassed (sp) for them at the end. Mr. Tyler ain't no George Clooney to look at, but he did really o.k. and gave it all he had for us and acted respectful. I did not expect Pavarati.

January 24, 2012 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  23. Nick

I think it was pretty good! Dunno why people got a problem with it.

January 24, 2012 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  24. Margaret

it was total aerosmith style, i did not feel it was bad. I like him he strikes me as a very cool guy....however, he needs to freshen up his highlights and he needs to fix those roots!

January 24, 2012 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  25. Ella

How was he supposed to sound? If they did not want Steven Tyler's rendition perhaps they should not have invited Steven Tyler.

January 24, 2012 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  26. dmadden1192

What do people expect from a rock singer in his 60's??? This is exactly what you shoudl expect...I am glad they changed it up with Tyler..sick of a 2 min song becoming 5 minutes of drawn out whining

January 24, 2012 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  27. AmazonX

That is the MOST difficult song to sing live. You have to practice and even then, it doesn't always come out properly. I've only heard one person sing it consistently well, and he's an Irish opera singer. Cut the man a break. And stop applauding before "Land of the Free" would you? you're supposed to applaud after that, for being able to hit the note on "Free" or to at least try.

January 24, 2012 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  28. enricorosan

Being an old geezer from the sixties I never was his fan but frankly I was expecting something a lot worse. This sounds O.K by today's musical standards. It takes a beautiful exquisite voice to sing such noble words and I propose either Celine Dionne or Barbara Streisand to do them right every time.

January 24, 2012 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  29. Krotz in Indonesia

I cannot believe this was even viewed as controversial. He got almost all the words right, and sang like he normally sings. If you don't like his voice, that is one thing .... but this is a complete non-story!

January 24, 2012 at 5:40 am | Report abuse |
  30. Tim

I'm just glad he didn't start doing his lame scatting schtick!

January 23, 2012 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  31. ?

He did what Steven Tyler does, good for him!

January 23, 2012 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  32. AnnieDaenie

And, he was RESPECTFUL, I had the impression he was trying to do a good job. So you cannot compare him with Roseanne Barr at all. It's not the same thing.

January 23, 2012 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Cindy brown

His voice is his voice...you didnt expect him to sound like Harry Connick jr did you? He didnt make a mokery of the Banner like others have in the past, (remember roseanne barr?) and he got the words right. I thought it was fine.

January 23, 2012 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  34. AnnieDaenie

I don't know what all the fuss is about. He hit the notes!! From what everybody was complaining about, I thought he hadn't even managed to do THAT. But it was in tune. He's a ROCKER, what do you expect???

January 23, 2012 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cindy brown

I AGREE! I was ready to get angry because of the hype..and it just wasnt that bad.

January 23, 2012 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  35. steve69

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AaFFLIjagE&w=640&h=390]

January 23, 2012 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Janie

He is what he is and what else were people expecting? From the headlines I thought it was screeching but it wasn't at all-others have flubbed the words too.

January 23, 2012 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  37. peekaboo62

i thought he sounded fantastic!! he sang it with emotion.. pride.. and if you look at it again, you can see his breath, it was cold out. i cant imagine it would be easy to sing with cold vocal chords. and im also Canadian!!

January 23, 2012 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Jeanie Maddox

Ive heard way worse national anthems. There wasnt any crouch grabbing going on (Roseanne!!!!!) He sang it the way it was written. He didnt try to make into a rap song, didnt add a country twang. I myself have sang accapella,outside. Its not as easy as you may think. So anyone that needs to ridicule the man can bite the man !!!!!

January 23, 2012 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  39. patty

GREAT JOB!!! Best ive heard it sang in years! If you want country you hire a country singer, if you want pop you hire a pop star, if you want rock you hire a rock star. This rock star nailed it!

January 23, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Superhiro

Who cares really? It's just a song. If this is really a concern of yours then you have priority problems.

January 23, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  41. EB

The Star Spangled Banner is a technically difficult song to sing for many people. After hearing all the brouhaha about Steve Tyler's rendition, I didn't know what to expect. After hearing it, I don't think it was bad. His "howl" was a bit "spirited" – but that was Steve Tyler. I don't think he was that bad.

January 23, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Mimi

I wish Michael Jackson was still here to sing!!!

January 23, 2012 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Patricia

I think that everyone should really mind there own business when it comes to how Steven Tyler sang that song.
    Really people get a life!!!

January 23, 2012 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Melanie B.

HE ROCKED!

January 23, 2012 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Frank Hacking

This was an absolute embarrasment to the nation. He should never be aloud to perform in public again. Send this fool to Pluto where he belongs.

January 23, 2012 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Kenny

I'm amazed at a lot of the comments on here....some are just plain dumb. First, it's Steven Tyler. Anyone expecting this to sound, or look, any different needs to rethink their expectations going forward. I personally didn't think it was the best rendition of the Star Spangled Banner I've ever heard, but it was by far from the worst ever seen.

And to the whole thread of nastiness toward Canada's anthem and about them in particular...all I can say is "Canada, please excuse those Americans who can't hold themselves with dignity or enough intelligence to express a suitable statement. Trust us, there's a whole lot of us who don't like that part of our society, either." Some of you guys are just downright rude; this was just a forum asking your opinion of Tyler's performance, yet you took it as an opportunity to attack an entire country. One doesn't have to wonder too diligently to figure out what part of the problem there is..........

January 23, 2012 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  47. AC

FOX did the anthem on the cheap for pub.
    FOX paid NFL and Steve(FOX) to sing the anthem to pub American Idol (FOX). Yeah Steve was terrible he is a rocker not a singer. If he had a guitar backing him it may have been better. MAYBE...

January 23, 2012 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • arbee

AC-what channel were you watching? You must have satellite. I have basic cable and saw the game on CBS!!

January 24, 2012 at 3:57 am | Report abuse |
  48. Meenah

You can't please everyone. I watched the clip. It was Steven Tyler singing in his style. He's not Josh Groban, Andrea Bocelli, Sinatra or anyone else. Stephen Tyler, in Steven Tyler style. Yes, he's getting older and his voice is not the same and some don't like his voice or music. But he's a LEGEND! At least he DID remember the words (can I say Christina??) and he WAS on key (Ooops! My bad Rosanne!) It's a difficult song to sing as it is, in front of thousands in an arena then millions on TV, LIVE, with the echo of the mic, much less remember all the lyrics. Give the man a break! Ya'll keep your fingers crossed for Kelly Clarkson at the Super Bowl!! Of course, someone will complain about that one too! But as always, there are bigger and more important issues to worry and complain about.

January 23, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  49. roskva

He could have dropped it down an octive.

January 23, 2012 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  50. ed eroh

Hey I am a fan of the 50's/60's era and I think he did an ok job.
    The highs are hard to hit on the Anthem.
    Could have been worse it could have been ROSEANNE!!!

January 23, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  51. dogboy

Who wants to remember the Aerosmith version at the INDY 500? To think, they bumbed Florence Henderson.

January 23, 2012 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Elisabeth

I LOVED his version. Hardly anyone ever gets all the words and yes, in my own home, I too sang along.
    I think the only version (that does not exist that I know of) would be if Robert Plant sang it. GREAT job,
    ST

January 23, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Jamie

Steven Tyler doesn't sing that well? Seriously? With all of the resources at CNN's disposal, news like THIS is covered, but the half a MILLION March for Life activists who descended on DC today were largely ignored? Where is the REAL news reporting? "Media Malpractice at March for Life" – Search for it on you tube, and hold yourself to a higher reporting standard, CNN.

January 23, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ken

Considering it's being reported under the "Entertainment" section, it fits a hell of a lot better here than the criticism of a right-to-lifer.

January 23, 2012 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  54. shrugging my shoulders

I didnt watch it but really could it have been any worse than the singers with the nice voices that get up there and make the song 3 times longer than it needs to be by adding gospel like run-ons and other non sense. (Got no problem with gospel mind you) I am a god fearing gospel loving black woman but some songs are better left alone. A beautiful voice and the right spirit right before a game is enough to get the point across. P.S. Steven Tyler sings one song that I absolutely love and does a pretty decent job. So I guess it depends...

January 23, 2012 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  55. @?

Get a life. You're on here trolling all the time loser.

January 23, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Humasima

If you want bubble gum, call Justin Beiber. If you want rock and roll, call Steven Tyler. Those who think Tyler can't sing, are simpleminded shallow and jealous people who probably sing along to Aerosmith tunes and don't even know it.

January 23, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  57. katahdin

I remember a few years ago, some boy band sang the anthem. They inserted a "girl' into the lyrics. "And the rockets red glare, girl"
    That was inapropriate.
    Steven Tyler's version was just fine.

January 23, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Glenn

There was nothing wrong with it.

Get over yourself.

January 23, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Chappel

Loved it!!! Way to go Steve!! Rock on!!

January 23, 2012 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Stephanie

Steven Tyler has never pretended to be anybody that he isn't. So when you hire him.. what you see is what you get.

January 23, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  61. ?

Did anyone else hear, "This isn't a phase, mom! This is who I am!" when they saw his hair.

January 23, 2012 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Dawn C

I thought it was absolutly terrible...

January 23, 2012 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Hair O'Smith

Check out the Roseanne Barr version in 1990, here:
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgmzXrwkjnY&w=640&h=390]
    You'll have a newfound respect for Steven Tyler's!

January 23, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Hair-O-Smith

Terry and Sharon have it correct, above. I just watched Tyler's rendition of the Star Spangled Banner, and it was nowhere near as bad as it has been alleged by the critics over the past 24 hours. For a truly AWFUL rendition, go back and look at Roseanne Barr's version. If the NFL is looking for a safe bet version of the SSB, Steven Tyler should not have been chosen - go for Tony Bennett, instead.

January 23, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • MARK RUSSO

EXACTLY!!! WHAT THE HE$$ IS WRONG WITH THESE DUMB A$$ CRITICS....IT WAS FANTASTIC!!! WHY DO WE HAVE SUCH A FUDDY DUDDY SOCIETY....HE WAS HAVING FUN WITH IT, AS MANY OF US WERE WATCHING, START TO HAVE SOME FUN IN YOUR LIVES SOME OF YOU DULL NO FUN BORISH PEOPLE... I WAS BORN 10/24/1957.(LOOK AT THE AGE OF SOME OF THESE CRITICS IN SOME COLUMNS) AROUND MY AGE.

January 23, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Travers

Whoever said he had a great voice for that kind of singing to begin with? Give the guy a break. He's up there because he's the frontman for a band that hit it big in the 70's, and then again in the 80's because Run DMC hit it big sampling one of their songs. It's our non-music-educated society that made Steven Tyler to be a better singer than he actually is.

January 23, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  66. F-AR

Really Bad. One of the worst performances I have ever heard. I have always enjoyed Steven on American Idol but, I guess I am not a totally devoted fan as some must be to say they think it was good.

January 23, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Sharon

I happen to think Steven Tyler did a great job singing our National Anthem yesterday. The song is hard for anyone to sing and he stayed on key and hit the high notes a lot better than most. If people were expecting an operatic performance, they should have made arrangements for someone else to sing. Steven Tyler represents himself as he is, American Rock-N-Roll. I think that's a perfect match with American football.

January 23, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Terry Delaney

Some are being critical of Steven Tyler's rendition of the Star Spangled Banner. Tyler sang it just the way his fans would have expected him to. He sang it in the style that made him famous and that has given his career life for the past 42 years. I might add Tyler did remember all of the words. If you don't like the style of the singing artist that is set to perform the Star Spangled Banner I suggest you not tune into the game until the performance is over. If the artist is not your cup of tea you're going to find a complaint with the taste.

January 23, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Vikki

Sounded awesome and in typical Steven style..scream on hot stuff..you can sing it to me anytime!!

January 23, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  70. KK

I love Steven Tyler, but after listening to Aerosmith at their horrible Super Bowl performance a few years ago, I was expecting this to be truly cringe-worthy! To say I was pleasantly suprised would be an understatement. I think Steven rocked it! I kind of enjoy listening to the various renditions of our national anthem before sporting events. Who's been chosen to sing and how it's sung and interpreted is always a revelation... sometimes good and sometimes bad. I'm willing to take both. For Boston, for New England and for the Patriots, Steven Tyler's a capella rendition is as good as it gets! Whitney's rendition might be the gold standard because she went up that octave at the end – but in my book, Steven Tyler's version isn't far behind! And FWIW, I liked Kristen Chenowith's version, too. Nice, classy, and appropriate for the moment... just like Steven Tyler! There's room for all tastes, people...

January 23, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  71. patNY

Worse than Rosanne's performance!

January 23, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  72. LoJenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVdV4X2M2AI&w=640&h=390]

January 23, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  73. ron j

hes an, idk, and a, loser. thanks.

January 23, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Leaf on the Wind

Tyler was just being himself. To those folks who run arenas where these huge events are usually held: if you want a traditional, respectful rendition of the national anthem, don't hire a screamer in the first place. To Steven Tyler and others of that ilk: when asked to perform the national anthem, politely decline.

January 23, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  75. JaneS

What's funny is the look on some of the faces in the crowd. I feel their pain.

January 23, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Jennifer

R u people serious? I love steven tyler but he butchered the national anthem. He got the words wrong. I actually felt sorry for him yesterday that he embarrassed himself so badly.

January 23, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Ravie

Wow, whoever wrote this article is really biased against Steven Tyler. After reading the article I dreaded listening to the video, but did it anyway, and was pleasantly surprised that it was great! Steven made all the notes and he sounded fantastic. Those who criticise are only really looking to find fault. He's a rock singer and he sang it in that vein. So people get off your high horses, and those who haven't listened to it yet, listen with an open mind. He did justice to the song.

January 23, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  78. janemutiny

He was fine. Why all the fuss?

January 23, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  79. R E MCRAY

Dude ... get over it ... it's Steven Tyler! Rock at its finest. He is the voice of America!

January 23, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Mausfink

Not a ST fan, but I don't see what all the fuss was about. I thought he did well.

January 23, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Betsy

It sounded like he was strangling a cat. But he has always sounded that way. He got muted on my TV.

January 23, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Disgusting

They just played it on the radio again this morning, he should feel totally ashamed for spitting that out. Sure glad I didn't pay to see that.

January 23, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Captain America

This guy screws up the songs he and his band have written. Why is it such a surprise that he messed up our anthem? His mind must be blown from all the partying. Anyone ever think about asking these celebs/clowns if they know the words to the anthem BEFORE they're asked to perform it in front of the world? What an embarrassment. Whoever's idea it was to book anyone without knowing if they knew the lyrics to the anthem should be fired! That's like a hospital hiring a doctor without knowing if he'd ever been to med school. "Well, he did pass health class.". Didn't anyone at sound check go, " Hey man, what song are you singing?".

January 23, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Erin

wow..thought it was going to be awful..but he did a really nice job....and I know music.
    His "Walk This Way" recently with Carrie Underwood is still on my tv recorder...Loved it!!
    Nice Job Steven

January 23, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Yea America!!

It’s pure Stephen Tyler. A little more scream on the high notes would have even been better. He remembered all the words! Should be a classic, like Hendricks.

January 23, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Kelly

II really don’t see what the problem is; I heard 2 notes at the beginning that were a little flat but otherwise he was on key the entire song. Nothing to apologize for in my book!

January 23, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Matt Donovan

How ab you Rallygirl?
    You probably think you're cooler than Steven Tyler huh?

January 23, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Matt Donovan

Actually I think his performance was good, hit all the notes, was respectful and disciplined.
    Probably who wrote this article doesn't like Aerosmith and all the critics sound like coming from a personal point of view.
    Or maybe CNN needs article to cover their web news space. I was expecting something horrible but honestly what I watched was totally fine.

January 23, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  89. rallygirl

He dresses like Captain Jack Sparrow after a Chico's shopping spree!

January 23, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  90. GGD19

It was Steven Tyler singing the national anthem. What the hell did you expect, Pavarotti? It was a local celeb and it was great, we like Aerosmith 'round here. Good job Steven.

January 23, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Matt Donovan

What's wrong with his performance??

January 23, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  92. citizenUSA

I t wasn't so bad. We've heard worse and better. His voice was just a little off rather than some exotic rendition. This just got Tylerized a small bit.

January 23, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Den

Luckily I didn't watch. Went to bathroom and was hoping game would soon start. I would not want to watch a performer that had lowered themselves to be involved with nonsense TV like "Idol". Also he is so god awful ugly and repulsive it would be difficult to munch any snacks probably till halftime.

January 23, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Fritz

There are some very accomplished vocalists who will not touch this song due to its wide octave range and difficulty. They asked for Steve Tyler, and that's what they got. Sounded just like himself....imagine that.

January 23, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Brad

I heard him hit all the notes, unlike most of the divas they put out there for the Anthem. Great job. It rocked.

January 23, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  96. HRC

I think what we have here is an old dude, who looks likes a lady, attempting his best to sing our national anthem. Obviously, from his performance this tune was a tad bit out of the old dude's (who looks like a lady) vocal range. Now as to whether the old dude, who probably derives as much entertainment appeal in certain quarters by dressing up as a lady as any attribute, has any real singing ability or not should not be a reason to deride his character. If one is upset that our national anthem was not sung by someone who might be expected to perform it with more technical proficiency – don't blame it on the performer. Unfortunately, even in selecting who will sing our national anthem at major sporting events – the cult of personality and entertainment ratings will often over-rule common sense.

January 23, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Bob

Poor Steven I guess he doesn't know that he can't now and NEVER could sing. As a rock person all he did was scream and squeal like a pig ;-)

**JUST A TERRIBLE PERFORMANCE**

January 23, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Tads

You rock Steven Tyler!!!

January 23, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  99. maryf

Steven Tyler sang the National Anthem like Steven Tyler. I expected no more/no less.

January 23, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  100. mabel

And......I see more comments here that were good with his performance. I think CNN is trying to start something. Anyway he has the X factor and even though the girl that one the X Factor recently has a beautiful voice, she doesn't have that x factor and I don't think will be a big star. It is not just about the voice. Look at Springsteen, Bob Dillon, etc.

January 23, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Kelly E.

He must be crucified together with the person who asked/hired him. Their luck of respect to the American Anthem make others continue to sing the same way. Please bring back Whitney Houston!

January 23, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Yakobi

Coulda been worse...he coulda sung "Love in an Elevator"–one of the worst, most painful-to-listen-to songs of all time!

January 23, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  103. chris

IT'S FLIPPIN STEVEN TYLER! Of Aerosmith!? If you expected Joh Groban, you're a mo-ron. Stop whining.

January 23, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  104. hannah1

Actually, i didn't think it was that bad. It's classic Steven Tyler, man. What's wrong with that?

January 23, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  105. get a life

OH PLEASE ! What were people expecting Miss America ?

January 23, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  106. jules

Just watched the video of his performance (missed the beginning of the game yesterday). Based on some of the critics and posts, I was expecting something truly horrible. I will say, even given his Boston roots, he seemed an odd choice to me. But I was pleasantly surprised! Yes-He flubbed a couple of small words but not like he totally butchered it. (It can't be easy to sing that song in front of tens of millions of people-even if you're a famous musician!) Or embellished it with some crazy vibrato where it just doesn't belong. Best rendition I've ever heard? No. But worst ever? Not at all. I'm cool with it.

January 23, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Kansan

What is that bag lady shrieking about and why is she at a football game?

January 23, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hannah1

Seriously? What are you, 12? Or just ignorant? Steven Tyler is an icon. I'd love to see you go out there and sing the anthem! NOT........

January 23, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  108. mabel

Nothing wrong with his performance. No one ever said he could sing all that good. He is a performer. A rock singer. I knew it wasn't going to be like Faith Hill or Celene Dion. If the organizers wanted that, they should not have asked him to sing. He is a celebrity from the area and I thought it was cool and anyone inthe stands or at home who expected more are just stupid.

January 23, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Bill

When I saw him take the field I was expecting a 15 minute guitar solo at some point in the performance. Sadly I was disappointed.

January 23, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Guiliana

Come on....You hire Steven Tyler, you are going to get Steven Tyler, not Michael Buble.

January 23, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Leon Marshall Jones

Love Aerosmith. Really dislike it when folks do a poor job of our national anthem.

January 23, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  112. KAD

mushogorsky... really... Pitch perfect? You can not be serious. If you are, then you are ovbiouly tone deaf!!!! Over half the notes were so far off key it hardly sounded like the national anthem. There were some brief moments of classic Tyler brillance.

January 23, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Stevie J

Hardly worthy of the kind of ire Roseanne Barr got (and deserved) for her rendition. He sang it the way he'd sing "Love in an Elevator." Some people are going to have a problem with that. Personally I find it preferably to some stuffy opera singer in a starched shirt bellowing out the lines with all the pomposity he can muster up.

January 23, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  114. tbone

Sounded fine to me.
    I dont know what people are complaining about; its his voice.
    If you want a beautiful fluffy sound you get a 20 year old girl, not a Senior citizen rock star.

January 23, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  115. RickyL

Way to reach for the high notes Steven. I loved it.

January 23, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Katie

I didn't think the performance was that bad – we've definitely heard worse. Yeah, I thought his voice was mediocre, and yeah I thought the scream was silly, but he did remember the words and he didn't get all crazy-improv like so many singers are wont to do. He also stayed in key soooo much better than a lot of singers.

January 23, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Rainwater

Oh unclench everyone. The song speaks for itself and Tyler's rendition is just another in a long line of quirky but good versions. I loved it.

January 23, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Zayrina

I don't especially appreciate Steven Tyler, can't say I have heard or would recognize any of his music, but really, it wasn't THAT bad, Lighten up people.

January 23, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  119. liz

His rendition wasn't any worse than others I've heard. Let's face it - he got the words correct and I know he has respect for the song and the Country.

I'm a 75 year old woman and I enjoy Steven Tyler!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 23, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  120. bob

He sang exactly as he does. I didn't see any problem with. I've heard C&W singers screw it up MUCH WORSE.

January 23, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Michael

He IS Aerosmith. What did you expect??? Hey, I like Aerosmith – listen to them regularly. I also love classical music, but how well do you think a leading soprano could sing "Walk This Way"? Take all types of music for what they are, and listen to what moves you.

January 23, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Sharon

I thoroughly enjoyed Tyler's performance. I thought that the so-called scream was entirely appropriate.
    Great National Anthem performance by a rocker!
    Still looking good, Steve.

January 23, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  123. tomf

have heard way worse...the acoustics of this place & the sound system doesnt do him any favors....are you seriously saying he can't sing dumbazzes!

January 23, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Butch

Maybe I'm just getting old (52), but that was one of the most heart felt renditions of our National Anthum I have heard in a long long time!! Great job Steven, from a 26 year Navy Vet.

January 23, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Chad Elbert

It was a little sour. Not bad for the age of his voice. Aerosmith is the most overrated band in history since the Kings & Queens album however.

January 23, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  126. flyonthewall

It's Tyler for cryin' out loud...good job Steven!

January 23, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  127. coderjones

i saw it
    he did an awesome job
    if you dont like rock n roll
    go back to europe – please

January 23, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Jack

Steve Tyler did a much better job singing the National Anthem than I expected. He hit all the notes spot on, and he did a good job. Yes, his voice is raspy and harsh, but that's him and his style. Let all of you nay sayers try to do anything in front of 70000 people live and millions on TV – he should congratulated and not criticized – Jack

January 23, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  129. geddy2112

It was probably the most "American" version i've ever seen...They usually stick some idiot up there for looks. They end up screwing it all up cause they are so used to lip syncing everything...

January 23, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  130. LK2

What did I miss? I only heard Steven's trademark "scream", so why is everybody shocked by it? I thought, considering it's NOT Steven's type of music, he did a pretty good job. Yes, he screamed, but again, that's Steven! And....don't forget, it was FREEZING there, and that does have an impact on your vocals as soon as you open your mouth...it hurts! So lighten up, everybody! Sheesh.....(And this is coming from someone who initially didn't WANT Steven as a judge on Idol, and now I think he's pretty good. So it's not like I'm a HUGE Tyler fan... I'm not. But just sayin....give him a break!).

January 23, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Scott

To begin with, it dragged. It was painfully slow. I wanted it to end. Then the 'land of the free' screech just didn't work. It's not 'Dude Looks Like a Lady', man.

January 23, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  132. Fernando1958

I think was a pretty rendition. What's wrong with CNN using a headline that has no validity? Is Steven Tyler. He is a rocker. It sounded like a good rocker rendition.

January 23, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Fairy

Oh come on. It's Steven Tyler. They didn't know what they were gonna get? They were expecting a classic tenor? Are you kidding? The man remembered the words. The man hit his notes. It's a hard song for even the most flawless of voices, yet they hired him. He didn't pull any stunts, he didn't disrespect the flag or make a mockery of anything. He did fine and sang the song like Steven Tyler sings songs. Give. Me. A. Frakking. Break. People.

January 23, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  134. Perry O

I suppose to traditionalists it may not have been the best rendition, but he gave his own interpretation, and it certainly wasn't out of taste, or character for his style of singing. I rather enjoyed it. Thanks........

January 23, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  135. YoursIsNoDisgrace

Guy belongs in the RRHOF!! Oh, wait he is. That says all you need to know about the RRHOF. The woman that sang before the Giants game was fantatic!!

January 23, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  136. gravis

A crummy singer for a crummy song. Who cares?

January 23, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Joel

He did the Indy 500 and another NASCAR race and they weren't that bad at all, the Indy was good except for the changed lyrics.. This one was very flat in the beginning and maybe he should have practiced more. I thought it could also be because of the cold, and he just really wasn't warned up.

January 23, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  138. Zack Armstrong

He shouldn't have been selected for this song.....not that I don't like him. What about Tamyra Grey next time. I know it will be beautiful!

January 23, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  139. manyote

He makes a strong case for legislation to fine these folks when they butcher our national anthem in public.

January 23, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  140. Molly B

I saw nothing wrong with that performance. Classic Steven Tyler!

January 23, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  141. IceT

Vintage Steven Tyler! Sung as expected he would sing it. What to you people want, Roseanne Barr?

January 23, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Katherine

Oh for heaven's sake. I've heard MUCH worse. Christina Aguilera comes to mind...and does anyone remember Rosanne Barr...hello?!? And another thing, IT'S STEPHEN TYLER. What did they expect?? Yeah, he could have done it without that little thing at the end, but at least he got the words right AND for 98% of the song he sang it straight. Want to hear some REALLY bad National Anthems? Go to YouTube and do a search on "Top 10 Bad National Anthems". Your ears will bleed. Besides, I didn't think it was that bad, MHO of course.

January 23, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  143. The Dragon

Most people that try to sing this song have a very hard time due to range of notation. His attempt was ok, he never had a balladeers voice, he is a rocker. If we were that interested in good renditions of our anthem we might consider a song that is more "singable" than the present one.

January 23, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Jordan

I thought it was fine except for the fact that he struggled to hit the high notes, but what did you expect from a man who's been screaming for 30+ years?

January 23, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  145. BigDaddyCool

OMG with the country in the state it is in can you all think of something better to squack about than an obviously inspired version of the Star Spangled Banner...when Steven hit the word "Free" the hair stood up on the back of my neck...he meant it.

January 23, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  146. Lucygal

Works for me. Totally Tyler, nothing wrong with it at all. And you would NOT see Justin Beiber belting out the US National Anthem. He's Canadian..get used to it!

January 23, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  147. Hmm

Just a minor muff: "as" instead of "the" bombs bursting in air. Voice-wise? Well, that's always a personal preference whether it is liked or not liked.

January 23, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  148. Todd

Steven has a Rock In Roll voice and for some songs he is not suited well. He did a great job and left in his Aerosmith sound!!! He rocks!!

January 23, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  149. Jason

Ummmm I just watched it and it sounded like Steven Tyler singing the anthem. I guess I'm confused here. Didn't people think he was going to sing it like Frank Sinatra or something?

January 23, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  150. Marauder1969

It would have been better if he could sing and wasn't so ugly.

January 23, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  151. Thatguy371

Worst performance ever? That's a laugh. So what if he put more of a rock voice to it. He hit all the notes easily and was in key. More than could be said for alot of them doing it. What about that lame stuffy pompous chick doing the anthem in front of the 49ers/Giants game? That was horrid with absolutely no soul. Or Rosanne Barr a few years back? Ugh. Sometimes I think people just have such a boring life they have to complain about any and everything, otherwise they'd off themselves from boredom. Let them try singing in front of 50 people... let alone 80,000.

January 23, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Halo

I I completely agree. The chick was waaaay worse than Mr. Tyler. People need to get a life and stop worrying about how well someone can sing. This is the problem with REALITY television – it gives people the disillusion that they have the right to criticize everything they see or hear. What happened to just sitting back and enjoying television?

January 23, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  152. Chuck

Not a big Steven Tyler fan but I didn't think it was a bad effort. The worst? No way.

January 23, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  153. Rob

His voice has always been bad, and so has his band.
    Bring back the Boob accidents!

January 23, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  154. Keya

You can't complain about this!!! If you have ever listened to Steven Tyler sing, you know what to expect. There is no reason for him to change his singing style just to suit all the haters. LOVED IT!!!

January 23, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  155. Matt

the well was not right in it's placement... but judging from croud reaction, the majority of the criticism comes from those who wish they had the tallent could pull in mony like him. his voice may not be what it once was, but he has been at it for how many decades? and DEADSPIN appearantly does not have a very good memory... it must be being run by children who have no recolection past the last couple years if they think that was remorely close to worst ever... I have two words for them. "Rosanne Barr" (lambert above has it right... that was likely the worst performance ever... nearly the entire crowd was booing.)

but celebrity critics get thier money and fame by putting down others regardless of thier own tallent or lack there of.

January 23, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  156. humtake

I thought he did an awesome job. Of course, his voice is flat in some parts but that song was not designed for a rocker to sing. Look people, in America we have many music genres which is an awesome thing. Tyler put a rock spin on the national anthem and he did it tastefully and did a great job at it. His voice isn't what it used to be so holding a note can come out flat in some areas. However, just because he put a rocker spin on the anthem doesn't mean you have to degrade him for it. He didn't forget the lyrics. He put the emphasis where it need to be put. Sorry, but this was a great performance. If you didn't like it, that's fine, it's just not your type of music and we are free to like whatever music we want. But to say he did a bad job just shows you only agree with your type of music and are close-minded to other types of styles. Doing a bad job means forgetting words, not emphasizing the right parts, doing bad expressions, etc. Doing a bad job does not mean criticizing someone for using their own style.

January 23, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  157. Catinlap

What is all this about Steve Tyler, when one of the most gorgeous versions of the national anthem of all time followed a few hours later during the next game, as performed by Kristin Chenoweth!

January 23, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  158. sheila

I think he did OK – people probably think it sounds weird bc he sang it slow and kept w/the melody – not his usual performing style. Also, I don't think we can really speculate on his love of this country based on his performance – it wasn't disrespectful like Roseanne's, just Steven Tyler in a different light!

January 23, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  159. P.J.

At least his boobs didn't "accidentally" fall out. I don't see what all the fuss is about. It was fine to me. Need to create some Monday traffic on CNN.

January 23, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  160. Eric

Seemed fine to me, I don't see the problem at all. It's about 100x better than I could do and he's about twice my age. Crap, give the man a break. I liked it in fact.

January 23, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  161. Lynn

I've said it before and I'll say it again....if you want a traditional version of the song, hire someone that sings that way. Steven Tyler sang it the way Steven Tyler sings. Duh!!!!

January 23, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  162. karlc

the guy is like what.......50-60 years old and stills rock that microphone! if you were expecting him to sound like he did back in the Aerosmith haydayz, you're crazy.........ill tell you he is still one COOL CAT! there is nothing to critize here! move on – next!

January 23, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  163. AzBarbie

I liked it. He is now Josh Groban and if that is what they were looking for then they should not have asked Steven Tyler. It was a classic Steven Tyler performance. I was truly happy that he DID remember all the words and he made me smile. The critics need to get a life.

January 23, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  164. Nance

It sounded fine to me. The song is difficult for anyone. I thought Steven did a good job.

January 23, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  165. Shoegal

Who was the Gillette Stadium staff idiot that signed up that has been loser to sing anyway? It was shameful and reminded me of Rosanne Barr's national anthem attempt. Poor Liv Tyler...

January 23, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  166. cwesleyg

Rock on Steve! Forget the haters... Aerosmith 4ever.

January 23, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  167. Mike

Awful! This is our National Anthem. No respect having clowns like this sing. Plenty of good anthem singers out there that can nail this song. I'm offended that they have these idiots butchering this song before big games.

January 23, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • AzBarbie

This song was written to inspire patriotism, not so you could walk away and talk about how well the singer did. You should respect the fact that he loves his country and put himself out there and did a good job and remembered all the words. How about a little love and a little less hatred?

January 23, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • ?

They should've had a true patriot like Bradley Manning or Julian A$$ange sing it.

January 23, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  168. what

Sounds exactly like what you would expect from Steven Tyler, it was fine. I read the article before watching the video and was expecting a train wreck. never happened.

January 23, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  169. Ed Sr of Dallas Tx

I saw it and I heard it and I don't know a thing about his group but.....he did a very good job and he did it with real feeling! I appreciate his efforts.

January 23, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  170. some dude

Anyone who thinks that was even remotely good show that they have absolutely no taste in music. Go home and listen to your hootie and the blowfish, u2, nickelback, and other horrible bands that the tone deaf enjoy.

January 23, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  171. Kapoli

I really liked it, you rock Steve!

January 23, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  172. Chad

I thought it was as good as you could get for a 60's aging rock star. He did a good job and added his own flair to it – true to himself. I'm tired of all the R&B versions out there anyways (Hudson, Aguilera, Alicia Keys, etc, etc)

January 23, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  173. Bugs

Tyler just doesn't have a "Star Spangled Banner" voice. Nobody should expect him to sound like Paul Robeson. I get tired of the stupid debates every time someone flubs the Anthem. I wish the promoters would decide whether they want brilliant singers or just any warm celebrity body.

January 23, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  174. SHANNON

To those who say he sounded good, listen to the performance again (don't watch it), and this time, instead of thinking "Steven Tyler from Aerosmith is singing", think "that guy who delivers the mail won a raffle to sing the anthem". Guaranteed you'll hear it differently and realize how bad it really was.

January 23, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  175. PatriciaD

I never followed his career so I don't know anything about his music, but I did like the way he sung the National Anthem. He did a good job. What is to complain about?

January 23, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  176. SickOfLiesInNYC

I always loved Arrowsmith, but Steven Tyler is WAY past his prime and his awful performance shows that he has turned into a pathetic LOUNGE ACT and he needs to retire from singing ASAP

January 23, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  177. Dustin

Umm. It's Steven Tyler. He's a Boston native and didn't do a horrible job at all. At least he didn't use an autotuner like many others due to mask their lack of being able to stay on key. It's a tough song folks. Deal with it. Also, he kept it simple and classic.

January 23, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  178. Sadie

My the naysayers must have a slow news day. He is a rocker what the heck do you expect? He sang with respect and knew the words! It is ridiculous to brand him as one of the worst performances ever. That belongs soley to Roseanne! Now there is a performance to complain about. Leave him the hell alone and report on something more significanat!

January 23, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  179. Rocknrollwillalwaysbe

Worse rendition category? Not even close. He's a rock singer...what were you expecting? Johnny Mathis? Frank Sinatra? Dean Martin? He did what he did and how he does it and it doesn't even qualify for consideration in the horrible rendition category.

January 23, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  180. Me

What was wrong with it, really? He was on-key and had all the words correct.
    Steve Tyler has–and has always had–a voice good for rock-n-roll, but never a classically beautiful voice. You were expecting Enrico Caruso?

January 23, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  181. deb

Why is anyone surprised that Tyler cannot do this song justice? He's a screaming rock-n-roller. Artists should know if they can pull off performing that very difficult song....it makes me nuts when someone gets up to perform this song and starts warbling and ripping notes up and down and screaming like they're dying....

January 23, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  182. Les

I think he sounds GREAT, the fans loved it, he sounds just like STEVEN TYLER!, He loves his country you can tell. I was afraid to listen to it, and he sounds fine! What's wrong with some of you?

January 23, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  183. Rosie Barr

You folks just shut the fu*k up. He did fine or would you rather have me sing it again.

January 23, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  184. Kelly

OMG!!!!! They invited Steven Tyler to sing and he didn't sound like Sinatra!!! I'm appalled!!!!!

January 23, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  185. chicago7

He's a rock singer, right? He sounded fine to me. I don't see what the negative reaction is all about. They bring on StevenTyler and expect Pavarotti?

January 23, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  186. Jimmy Limo

Hey, it was a great blue-collar working man's version ! I've never heard so many fans singing along LOUDLY before. Sure, after 40 years of screaming top-notch rock'n'roll, who's voice WOULDN'T be raspy, but when he nailed the most difficult note "in the la-and of the freeee..." and then added a SENSATIONAL scream...YOWZA ! Rock on MR. TYLER !!! In comparison, that SAAAD performance of the anthem at the 49ers-Giants game by a pathetically warbling Kristen Chenoweth was like fingernails on a blackboard. Now THAT was a performance worthy of massive criticism, not Stevens !

January 23, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  187. dan

He is what he is- a washed up, strung out drug addict.

January 23, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • tjc360

That washed up drug addict makes more money in 1 hour then you will your whole life.

January 23, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  188. aaron

please shoot him and put him out of his misery.

January 23, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  189. Greg Conn

I didn't see anything wrong with his rendition.
    It's pretty much how I'd expect the national anthem to sound being sung a capella by a rock singer, especially a rock singer who normally sings rock songs with a hard edge.
    I guess the whiners who are complaining were maybe expecting it to be sung sweet and smooth.

January 23, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  190. berg

I liked it. Powerful performance. Looked like he meant it. The man knows how to use what he's got.

January 23, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  191. he should quit singing

Horrible, just horrible. It was worse than when rosanne sang it.

January 23, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • not as bad

Definitely NOT as bad as Rosanne Barr, a fat, ugly and disgusting woman who grabbed her own crotch at the end of her "performance". However, I couldn't help but cringe a bit with Tyler's singing, especially when he tried to add the flair at the end... Dude, just STOP, really! Cut your hair and FINALLY age gracefully... oh, yeah, you're "rock N roll", and aging is for loosers, right? If I was as stuck in 1988 as Tyler is, I'd probably agree with that.

January 23, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  192. °_°My Little Pony Is A Fantastic Show°_°Ráīñbøw Dāsh°_°

Silly troll, that's not how you spell America. :3

January 23, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  193. sroe

I will never understand why people cannot simply sing it the way it was written, no vocal theatrics or attempting to hit some riduculous high note at the end. The song in an of itself is NOT easy to sing, just sing it, period. As for Mr. Tyler, to be honest, he did an OK job until the screech at the end. Let's face facts, he doesn't have the greatest voice to begin with, not horrible, but not great. Again, simply get up to a microphone and sing the Nation Anthem straight up.

January 23, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  194. ken

Bring back Whitney Houston!

January 23, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  195. snowdogg

Not a pretty rendition – wondering why he was selected? But, really, why do we need a "celebrity" to sing the natioanl Anthem? It used to be the crowd at the venue would sing !

January 23, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  196. marie

they should've gotten Landau Eugene Murphy Jr. to sing the anthem. He's the only one who hasn't totally screwed it up!

January 23, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  197. Geezer

His trying to hang on to his old glory and it looks just pathetic. His performance could have been worse, but for someone who makes money singing it was rather poor. He needs to give up being hip. It looks to try hard.

January 23, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  198. Dorene

Personally I did not see anything wrong...it was a Tyler performance.......

January 23, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  199. Grace

It wasn't that bad. He's a rocker and that's the spin he put on it. Yep, not bad.

January 23, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  200. Linda

wow.. Steven Tyler sounded just like.. Steven Tyler!! I mean really people, it sounded exactly what I would have expected it to. He didn't change the song up, forget the words, or go off pitch (well, for his voice anyways). So that means he did a good job!

January 23, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  201. Lambett

The worst two anthems ever are Roseanne Barr and Carl Lewis hands down.

January 23, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  202. Bob

He was great. It was very enjoyable.

January 23, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  203. qtenor64

OK, when you hire Steven Tyler to sing the national, anthem, SUPRISE! ... you are going to get Steven Tyler singing the national anthem. He is a rock star, not an opera singer. He pretty much sang the words right, and he sang the melody of the song properly, which is more than I can say for Christina Aguilera or any other vocally amazing pop superstar who screws with the song until it is unrecognizable. I think he did a fine job, and people need to relax.

January 23, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  204. Dane

@? you make Canadians look bad. Keep your fool mouth shut for the sake of the rest of us.

January 23, 2012 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  205. coriolana

It was, without doubt, one of the most pitiful displays on eroded talent I've ever seen.

January 23, 2012 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  206. freeman

They should've gotten Landau Eugene Murphy jr. to sing the anthem. He's the only one in recent years who hasn't screwed it up!

January 23, 2012 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Cherie

People wil complain and droan on and on about anything. Give it a rest and if you don't like, don't listen or let the individuals who booked him know that he was horrible with the recommendation to not invite him to sing the anthem again. Steven Tyler's voice is not suitable for the national anthem and no, it was not the best rendition of the anthem but it sure wasn't the worst. You have to keep in mind that this type of song is not his genre. Most people who sing the anthem will say that it is a not easy to sing. Not all people sing it beautifully like Josh Groban, who sings it amazingly well and beautiful. It just freaking amazes me about what aggravates people and how people can be so critical and just down right mean.

January 23, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  207. DS

at that moment, i asked my husband to close his eyes and evaluate the voice. result: not good

January 23, 2012 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  208. Andy NJ

Duh, it sounded like Steven Tyler! He's not going to sound like Frank Sinatra... Get over it.

January 23, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  209. Gary Koloski

I thought it was sung like "crap." The Star Spangled Banner should be sung with heart and no frills, loud/cracking voices. He certainly would never get invited to sing in my Legion post. AFC/NFL should be ashamed for inviting him to sing.

January 23, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  210. TomCA

It wasnt that bad. It wasnt Tylers best work but it wasnt bad.

January 23, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  211. lgny

It's the national anthem - not the Steven Tyler anthem!

To all performers: Please sing it the way it was written and stop stylizing it into your personal sound. Performing it at a major public event like this is a chance to honor the nation - not promote your song styling genius.

January 23, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  212. CHUCK D

WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER GAME?
    Kristin Chenoweth sucked I hate it when singers think they know how to change the song

January 23, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  213. flip town 5000

And we expected what from him? He did what he does, scream the words.

January 23, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  214. ab

You book Steven Tyler, you get Steven Tyler. What did they expect him to sound like? Josh Groban?

January 23, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  215. Connie

It sounded just like I thought it would with Steven Tyler singing it. Get over it people this is how the man sings! Maybe you should be mad a whoever booked him.

January 23, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  216. Sharon O

They knew what they could possibly get! He 'sang' the National Anthem at the 2001 Indianapolis 500 an changed the lyrics!
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-JBNRGy7Nc&w=640&h=390]

January 23, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  217. WINCHESTER74

Steven Tyler is a good guy but his time has long passed. He started out as an imitation of Mick Jagger and he's finishing up as a bad imitation of Steven Tyler. The NFL's choice of musicians is pitiful – who in their right mind chooses Tyler to sing the anthem – it's a surefire recipe for disaster. And Madonna for the Super Bowl ???? There is plenty of great young talent who can blow her and Tyler off the stage.

January 23, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  218. Bob123

He didn't forget the words and at almost 64 he sings better then half the BS 20 somethings out there.

January 23, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • RichC

I'm pretty sure he sang "as bomb bursting in air" instead of "the bombs bursting in air"

January 23, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • mrsmonday

Exactly what I was thinking! I thought it was 'spot-on' for Steven! Some R&B/Pop "singers/lip syncers" have to add extra high notes which sounds like screaming to their rendition. Just think about the night it was written and sing it that way. Don't add all the exra bs to it.

January 23, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  219. Sue

That was classic Steven Tyler! He was great! There was nothing wrong with it. He did a lot better than a lot of those other singers in the past.

January 23, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  220. Dial from SoCal

Who was that old screaming lady?????

January 23, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  221. Lyd

Agree that this was definately NOT a bad performance. This song has been totally butchered over the years and I think Steven Tyler did a good job!

January 23, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  222. David

What did they expect to happen? He sang it horribly at the Indianapolis 500 several years ago. Why would anyone think he would change?

January 23, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  223. MARY ANN BARTON

@? , CANADA SUCKS JUST LIKE YOUR MAMA SUCKS C-OCK

January 23, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  224. JBD

I thought it was a really good performance. I'd love to hear any of the naysayers do any better! It was simply a rock version of the song ... and a pretty dang good one at that! I think what they don't like is the rock version ... they're confusing his rasp for lack of vocal ability ... that man can sing his butt off STILL.

January 23, 2012 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  225. geezo123

Right up there with Roseanne Barr!

January 23, 2012 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  226. jlg

Um, sounded just like you'd expect Steven Tyler to sound – he's a rock singer not a ballad singer. Rock on!

January 23, 2012 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  227. thurstons mom

I thought it was fine. And he had deep New England roots. The crowd loved it.

January 23, 2012 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Will

I have "deep new england roots" too (ancestors came over on the mayflower) and I think he sucks.

Hitler had "deep Austrian roots", but I doubt many Austrians would cheer for him if he sang their national anthem.

January 23, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  228. SJM

I didn't hear anything wrong with it. It was in tuen and a lot better than Roseanne Barr did. Certainly not the worst rendition by a performer

January 23, 2012 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • brad-ash

You need to adjust your hearing aid if you think that was good vocals

January 23, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • P.J.

Who said anything about good vocals. He said he was "in tune". There's a difference. I can carry a tune but it sounds awful anyway.

January 23, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Musician

He was not awful, not blasphemous, not deplorable or disgusting, but there were more than a few out-of-tune notes in there (the "ear" in "early", for starters) . Not judging (I thought it was just fine, especially for football audience), just clearing up some of the misinformation here.

January 23, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  229. tom

Horrible!! His mantra and the only thing that comes outa his mouth on AI "that was beautiful man" did not pertain to him here. He also just looks so gross...like one of those People of Walmart photos. Time to hang up all those dangling things in your hair (including color extensions) and retire gracefully...although I'm not sure that word and Grandma Tyler are synonomous.

January 23, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  230. Kari

HORRIBLE! He butchered the song and should be embarrassed. I was embarrassed for him!

January 23, 2012 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  231. Observer

Tyler is a liberal fool, though that is redundant.

January 23, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • SB

Sorta like "Observer" and "a*hole".

January 23, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Will

Aren't Conservatives the ones who believe the world is 6000 years old and that some invisible friend living on a cloud controls everything

January 23, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • rebel rebel

Redundant?? Don't you mean an oxyMORON like "jumbo shrimp" "soft rock" or "rap music"?? I agree with SB-you seem to be an observer of all things that don't matter!!

January 24, 2012 at 3:28 am | Report abuse |
  232. Karen

Loved it!!! Great job Steven!!!!!! Before criticising make sure YOU have been there done that!!!!

January 23, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  233. joe

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=videoseries&w=640&h=390]

January 23, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  234. MARY ANN BARTON

I WOULD LOVE TO SUCK THE CRACK OF STEVE'S A5$

January 23, 2012 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  235. joe

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_XkqV6b7Pw&w=640&h=390]

January 23, 2012 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  236. Mark

But it's ok and acceptable for R&B artists to do all kinds of vocal acrobatics which many times also trash the song? Come on folks....your hypocrisy can only go so far. It's a song.

January 23, 2012 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Musician

Agreed, Mark. ST's rendition, warts and all, was just fine by me. I wouldn't have expected him to do it any differently, nor would I have wanted him to do it any differently.

January 23, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ncrainydays

AMEN MARK.......that's what I have been saying Aretha Franklin & Aaron Nevile, Patti LaBell, R Kelly and on and on. Opps we better be careful or we will be call racist because we have an opinion

January 23, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  237. J. B. Burch

Steven Tyler's rendition of the National Anthem is disgusting and blasphemous. There a some things that should not be changed...Our National Anthem is one of them. He obviously does not love this country and the efforts and bravery that went into the time of the writing of our anthem. Boo on him.

January 23, 2012 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
    • happytam

Disgusting and blasphemous? I don't think you understand the meaning of those words. The rendition was pretty straightforward without all the trills and extra syllables that so many people try to throw in. The only thing that wasn't great was his voice. Overall, I think he did ok, not great but not horrible. I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say it was disgusting and blasphemous.

January 23, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Blaire

Horrible, yes but not so sure he was disgusting and blasphemous. I think you need to look the definitions up again and refresh yourself with the meanings.

January 23, 2012 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
    • ?

Up here in Canada we've got a proper National Anthem, not like this militaristic dirge you guys have. Feels good to be truly free. I was under the impression that most Americans liked America The Beautiful more anyway.

January 23, 2012 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
    • mylife

Oh just bl ow it out your pant ies!

January 23, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Sam

And you wonder why some of us Americans think of you Canadians as a bunch of dumb inbred hockey playing canucks.

January 23, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
    • tcp

Quick J.B. Who wrote it? On what occasion?

Hey Canada, We don't care what you think!

January 23, 2012 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • the camster

I was surprised he kept so close to the actual tune ... couldn't hit the high notes so he sang 'em like the aging rock star that he is (I was never a fan, for the record).

Blasphemy, hardly. That would be apt for Roseanne's singing lo those many years ago.

And JB, do yourself (and the rest of us) a favor – never attend a sporting event in Baltimore. You could even hear it at Foxboro yesterday – a very loud O towards the end (O say does that star spangled banner yet wave) – for our hometown Orioles.

January 23, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • G Knoll

The music was non-existant. The respect for country and flag, also absent.

January 23, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • JD

I agree. For the people on here saying he remembered the words, you need to go look at the words. He messed it up plain and simple. He should have never been allowed to sing it in the first place.

January 23, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • ?

January 23, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carl

Disagree that the anthem is something that "shouldn't be changed". How about using something more singable with less bellicose lyrics. America the Beautiful? There are plenty of patriotic songs that could be used to honor this great country.
      That said, I thought Tyler rocked the anthem.

January 23, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • TO: JB Birch

Wow. You need a life.

And an enema.

January 23, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • becky - Las Vegas

Are you aware that the American National Anthem is one of the most difficult songs to sing? It contains notes that span a 2.5 octave range (20 notes apart on the scale) and, in more than one spot, jumps an entire octave. The only time I can think of a blasphemous taped performance is Rosanne Barr and it wasn't because of the poor singing, it was the "gestures" after. Anyone who forgets the words or screws them up is just nervous unless they intentionally goof them up. Then they unpatriotic or than that, just human. Anyone who sings it to their best of the singing ability is just fine. To those complaining about his notes/pitch... can YOU sing it perfectly?

January 23, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • ?

"That's okay America. We still love our inbred gun running neighbors to the south."

We will attempt to recall this when we annex Canada.

KTHXBAI

January 23, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • To: ?

Up here in Canada we've got a proper National Anthem ...

I would venture the STAR SPANGLED BANNER is a bit more recognized WORLD-WIDE than "Oh, Canada(you've done it again)".

If Canada is so terrific, why can't you guys INVENT anything?

January 23, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Musician

@becky – Las Vegas: I wasn't "complaining about his notes/pitch," simply setting the record straight for those who were asserting that he was pitch-perfect.

In spite of the off-pitch notes & flubbed words, which can be attributed to so many factors, I liked the performance and agree with everything that you've asserted in your post.

January 23, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • ?

Things Canada invented: Walkie talkie, TV camera, Pager, snowmobile

Things America invented: Guantanamo Bay, Homeland security, A-bomb, Ab-Ghraib man pile

Good job guys.

January 23, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  238. DAVID ROSSETTI

TYLER WAS GREAT . THE FANS LOVE IT. YOU ALL THAT HAVE A NEGITIVE COMMENT GET A LIFE.

January 23, 2012 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Marko

You are right. I wouldn't recommend putting Beverly Sills in front of Aerosmith!

January 23, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Rocmon

I got a life pal. That moron needs to crawl back under the rock from which he emerged!!!

January 23, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • @Rocmon

"moron" – LMAO – you could only DREAM to be as moronic as Tyler.

This moron has turned down more free kitty than you've ever seen published.

January 23, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • shhhhh.....

LOUDER, DAVID, LOUDER!!!

January 23, 2012 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  239. Sokman

Dude looks like a lady... A 60yr old lady trying to look like a 25yr old lady

January 23, 2012 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  240. ?

Classic Steven Tyler. 'Beautiful man'. Like his scarf, though! Lmao!

January 23, 2012 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
    • maggie

i thought he did good they knew he was from a rock band they knew how he sang and yes he remembered the words as half the people dont THUMBS UP FOR STEVEN TYLOR

January 23, 2012 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Musician

@maggie: You meant, "He knew most of the words," right?

January 23, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  241. beenz

At least he remembered the words..unlike Christina Aguilera

January 23, 2012 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
    • brad-ash

True enough, but he has a terrible voice. His was never that strong but now that he's older he should forego the singing gigs.

January 23, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • dan

um, he messed up the words. just like stupid christina aguwhatever. where the hell is "theres bombs bursting in air?" anywhere in the star spangled banner?

January 23, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • ManWiththe1000PoundBrain

@Dan – the actual words are "the bombs bursting in air." Close enough.

January 23, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • LeeLee

Actually, he didn't. Replay it again to see if you can hear the mistakes. One was obvious and the other two less so.

January 23, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  242. ?

He shoulda stayed away. This is a guy who screamed his songs. His throat is done worn out. Okay I'll let u go from there on my throat comment.lol

January 23, 2012 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
    • ??

I was expecting something really horrible. I actually saw nothing wrong with the performance.

January 23, 2012 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Pete

His voice isn't there anymore, but it was a decent effort. Some people just love to complain.

Besides everyone knows that Chef Rick Bayless is the star of the Bayless family, not Skip.

January 23, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • NooYawkah

What's the big deal? He just did a cover version of the Hendrix rendition, only with his voice.

January 23, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brad

Agreed. It was classic Steven Tyler. I didn't see anything wrong with it.

January 23, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jimmy Striegel

It was a great blue-collar working man's version ! I've never heard so many fans singing along LOUDLY before. Sure, after 40 years of screaming top-notch rock'n'roll, who's voice WOULDN'T be raspy, but when he nailed the most difficult note "in the la-and of the freeee..." and then added a SENSATIONAL scream...YOWZA ! Rock on MR. TYLER !!! In comparison, that SAAAD performance of the anthem at the 49ers-Giants game by a pathetically warbling Kristen Chenoweth was like fingernails on a blackboard. Now THAT was a performance worthy of massive criticism, not Stevens !

January 23, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ted

Really not that bad at all. Better than I can do. ....

January 23, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • VegasRage

It was classic Tyler kicking it out like he always does. What were you expecting Justin Bieber?

January 23, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

It's called tearing someone else down to try to make one's self look superior. That's the whole reason why people complain about others. If you don't want to listen to him sing...you could always take a bathroom break...or hit mute on the remote...then we won't have to listen to complaints anymore.

January 23, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • mushogorsky

Pitch perfect! What are these blowhards whining about? I am not a Tyler fan and he is one ugly summabytch but for an a capella performance by a geezer and even in one's prime, he hit the notes precisely on key, added some breathy flourish but not too much, so must be just Patriot haters chiming in with this diss.

January 23, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • johnnyrockman

Well.....he got all the words right......and I enjoyed it.

January 23, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Diane

It's Steven Tyler. There was Nothing wrong with his rendition.

January 23, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

It was fine! What's the big deal? That's one of the hardest songs to sing and he hit all the notes and rubbed his own style on it. Nice job!

January 23, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Musician

@johnnyrockman: You meant to write, "He got most of the words right," right?

January 23, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brad

If they wanted Steve Tyler to sound like some one else then they would have asked someone else. Lighten up people...........

January 23, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • justus

Didn't see nothing wrong with the song, that's the way he sings. I have been a fan for my whole life. Wonderful singing.

January 23, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Diane

He never could sing. He is like most rock stars, he just screams over popular music which is then helped in the recording studio. Most of them cannot sing a note.

January 23, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • MP

You get what you pay for!

January 23, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brandt

He looks like a woman!lol

January 23, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stu in Iowa

His voice isn't there any more? You are incredibly incorrect in that. I didn't care for his rendition of the SSB but go to a show, you'll see his voice is still quite there Monty.

January 23, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Musician

@mushogorsky: "Pitch perfect" – except when he wasn't; "He hit the notes precisely on key" – except when he didn't. Not judging. Just setting the record straight.

In spite of that, I liked it. :-)

January 23, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ken

I think it was classic Steven Tyler. Sounds pretty good for a guy in his sixties if you ask me.
      As for the words – "There's bombs" doesnt sound like he messed up, it sounds like artistic license to me. Typical Tyler-like adlib.
      He may not be what he used to be, but that was a heartfelt performance, and it was live. Not prerecorded like many others. If you remember Whitney Houston's rendition, which has become the gold standard, was pre-recorded and she lip-synched. Kudos to him for singing live.
      I give him a A+.

January 23, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • DDh

Go Steve Tyler!!! I work in a sports bar and I have never seen people react the way they did when Steve Tyler sang the National Anthem. One could feel the proud to be an American spirit overflow. Great begining to an incredible game :)

January 23, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Burbank

At least he managed to get through the performance without falling off the stage for a change!

January 23, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Musician

Just listened to it several times, Ken, and I'm fairly well convinced that it was not an intentional modification. He flubbed it, but was able to continue unfazed, as any lifelong professional would.

As for his intonation - in a cavernous stadium, with blaring speakers and echo all round, probably an earpiece monitor, that is totally excusable, and his performance really was nothing to vilify.

Standing on its own, that performance would not have got a total stranger out of the audition-round of AI.

January 23, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Spendlove

Great performance, nuff said.

January 23, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

I'm impressed that he remembered all the words. Not like some singers at past game that could not remember all the words.

January 23, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • GuitarMan

Dude looked like a lady, but sang great. Steve – you rock!

January 23, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • erh

From the article, I also expected a mess. He was spot on tune the entire song. Especially given his age, I was surprised at how well he did. People these days are just so quick to put others down. Reflection of themselves methinks.

January 23, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jerriann

Nothing wrong with it at all! Typical Steven Tyler!

January 23, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • HowldaMoon

I thought Steven Tyler did great job and gave it his all. The fans in the stadium thought so too and they overwhelmingly joined him singing. I really thought that those criticized his "live" not dubbed rendition really need to find somthing else to complain about.

January 23, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ncrainydays

I thought Steven did find. That is his type music and his voice... To me it's no different than black artists putting their oooooohhhhhhh yeahhhhhh, etc. during and at the end of a song. Steven you are a rocker.....Rock on...

January 23, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • moon627

I wish Steven Tyler had sung at the San Francisco 49ers game against the NY Giants yesterday ! Kristin Chenoweth sang the anthem perfectly but my 49ers lost .... i blame country music star Brad Paisley who sang at half time :(

January 23, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Terry Delaney

January 23, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Debi

I love the national anthem–even Steven's version. What else did you expect from a rock star?

January 23, 2012 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • LeeLee

It was classic Steven Tyler, who I'm not crazy about. However, he did what he does and screamed it out which is what I would expect. He did make some mistakes on the wording which I find more offensive than the fact that Steven Tyler sang like Steven Tyler.

January 23, 2012 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

It wasn't that bad. Plus, he was singing outside in the cold.
      Better than female singer flavor of the month X warbling whatever notes she feels like. It's been done to death.
      Not Hendrix by any means, but a solid rock performance. That's Steven Tyler, even at 63 and after throat surgery.

January 24, 2012 at 2:50 am | Report abuse |
    • old headbanger

Yeah, okay it wasn't up to the Whitney or Kathie Lee standards but it wasn't that bad. I'm pretty sure that he was chosen to sing because Aerosmith is based in Boston(not that there's anything wrong with that)-a Native son singing in his old stomping grounds, high heeled boots and all!! All respect to him for staying in key in a difficult song to sing!!

January 24, 2012 at 3:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Lee CE

THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT PERFORMANCE. i WAS WAITING & WAITING TO SEE WHAT THE FUSS WAS...AND THERE IS NONE. TYLER DID JUST FINE, NO DIFF. THAN ANY OTHER ENTERTAINER WHO PUTS THEIR OWN STYLE ON IT. ACTUALLY, HE SEEMED VERY SINCERE. Like you Steve, don't change!!

January 24, 2012 at 5:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Duane Spencer

Steven Tyler's version of National Anthem was the second worst ever,Rosanne Barr was worst, Steven Tyler should be ashamed

January 24, 2012 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
    • MARLENE MARTINO

OH MY, OUR COUNTRY IS GOING THRU A TOUGH TIME AS IT IS, DON'T GIVE IT ANYMORE PROBLEMS .

THE STAR SPANGLE BANNER DESERVES BETTER, "GOD BLESS AMERICA".

January 24, 2012 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Robert S.

Let's all lighten up. It really wasn't that bad at all. If you know anything about singing--it is one very hard song for just about anybody to pull off. Tricky keys; unusual wording; it's really a bit of a challenge.

Celebrate that you were alive to watch it;...that you had a roof over your head and a TV to watch it on with likely good food and drink nearby...and a few friends or family. That put syou ahead of about 70% of the people on the planet...

January 24, 2012 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
    • rose

what the heck is he doing as a judge on AMERICAN IDOL????????????????
      WITH all the talented writters and producers, they should have someone like DAVID FOSTER.......................
      ROSE

January 24, 2012 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Ebony

a course a persons who wouldn't be able to carry a tone with two sticks and a tin can wouldn't see nothing wrong with his signing. Dude voice is all over the place. But then again, Steven Tyler never was a great singer in the first place

January 24, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • buffett33

I liked the rock and roll spin Steven put on our National Anthem. The folks bashing him probably can't "carry a tune in a bucket" so shut up. Besides Steven your rich, successful, and the front man of one of the most legendary bands in the world (that experience no one can touch).....and the folks commenting are not.....so ignore the negativity and keep doing what you do best. I wish you all the best in your sobriety; stay strong, love you!

January 24, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • pmn

The performance seem to be a rock version. Tyler did a good job and people should just leave him alone. I actually feel bad for him that there was any criticism of his singing. People just want something to complain and grip about these days. I think there is more to worry about in this world besides someone's singing.

January 24, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • moi

Classic Tyler, I see nothing wrong with it. He was on key the entire time. It was fine. Can't believe the hubbub on this.

January 24, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • V Lewis

I don't know what anyone expected from Tyler. He is a blues, funk and rock singer. This is his style and he can still pack thousands when Aerosmith tours.

January 24, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • SuperDave

Yup. Sounded like Aerosmith. Did you expect Pavarotti???

January 25, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • buffett33

Steven, keep rock in! The folks complaining most likely cannot "carry a tune in a bucket". You are the lead singer of one of the greatest rock bands of all times; and the nay sayers are simply not. Many blessings, stay well.

January 26, 2012 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Macduf

What did people expect when Steven Tyler was hired to sing the anthem?

January 26, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |