Overheard: Why not all celebs choose unique baby names
January 19th, 2012

Overheard: Why not all celebs choose unique baby names

Selma Blair recently told TMZ that she’s a fan of “tried and true” baby names.

But, without mentioning a certain Blue Ivy, Apple or Aleph, the mom to 6-month-old Arthur - her son with fashion designer beau Jason Bleick - said it’s not because she doesn’t appreciate unique monikers.

“I was gonna name him a weird, obscure name, but then I was afraid ‘cause if they’re not good looking and they have a weird name they’re really screwed. Like, a good looking kid can get away with a lot of stuff. … I didn’t know if he was gonna be really homely, so he’d better have something tried and true like Arthur.”

Harsh, or does she have a point?

Filed under: Celebrities

1. Anuciada

My children aren't of soochl age yet, but I really believe that a brief note on the report card, followed by a face-to-face talk with the teachers would be better. That's what I would like, anyway. With three kids, all who will be going to soochl together {I have a 4, 3 and 1 year old}, I probably wouldn't remember the individual comments.

August 14, 2012 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
  2. .

two worst names possibly ever: Abcd pronounce ab-si-dee & A-aaa pronounced uh-dash-uhh
    these are real names -____-

March 19, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Tanya

If I have a little girl, I would like a more traditional name like Sarah or Elizabeth I think. Tanya Monique Glascoe

January 29, 2012 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Gary III

Take your heads out of your a55es why do you think everything becomes racial?We live in the most civilized racist country in the world,and the internet has helped to perpetuate this by letting everyone vent their anger,hate,fear and frustration.So people please stop asking the question why everything has to go to race,wake up.

January 20, 2012 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  5. TW

Why does it have to turn racist? It's that kind of closed minded thinking that has this woman's view skewed. I agree with her thinking, if not her rationale. Arthur (Art, Artie), is a fine name. Besides, what's his middle name? He could go by that if he chooses to later in life.
    The inherent problem is that our lives are so mundane and boring that we have to take time to not only read about this but to comment. Yes, I read it too so I am no exception. I agree that some families choices in naming their children is questionable and funny, it is also the right of a parent to name their children anything they want. I am sure some "normal" names were once strange and unusual. Not that this current crop of names is going to or should catch on but it is their right to do it.

January 20, 2012 at 5:55 am | Report abuse |
  6. melanie T.

White ppl have always been obsessed with black ppl they're forever trying to figure us out.They've tried to make a joke out of everything we do then they try to still it.They act like they can't pronounce our names bs I know all of you hear those white bred commentators throw out those names lol the all mighty dollar can make you say any crazy name.

January 20, 2012 at 5:04 am | Report abuse |
  7. Char

Crazy how race always comes up in every conversation on these comments.Jeff,Dan, and whomever who wants to categorize race and a name is sad and sterotypical. We all have opinions but some need to be kept to yourself when your being offensive to others =)

January 20, 2012 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
  8. Seriously

y

January 19, 2012 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Seriously

Dont worry god will bless u to be black in your next life that way the suicides and molestations wil be down at an all time high

January 19, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Akademi

Mrdaveg140 on October 24, 2011 llvoey review video video!! Gotta Love the Ipad 2. Personally, I think this tablet is the best on the market and this review is even better. Nice Review! as far as I got my iPad 2 for free, I can't complain:) Just Google for: freeipad2tablet.infoI'm typing using my iPad 2 right now

February 13, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  10. derp

Do you have a daughter named Bea?

January 19, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  11. A

Yeah, Arthur really isn't that great of a name.

January 19, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  12. scott the mormon

Arthur the cartoon guy is way cool. He teaches good morals.

January 19, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  13. derp

While I am no fan of stupid baby names, naming your son Arthur is a guarantee he will grow up to be a dweeb.

Does anyone know somebody named Arthur who is not a dork?

January 19, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • me

Arthur Fonzarelli

January 19, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • derp

The fact that you may even consider a character played by an actor with a dork name like Henry to be cool, tells me that your name is probably Louis.

January 19, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ted

Why dont blacks name their kids something normal like Aunt Jemimah or Uncle Remus or Toby?

January 19, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Mary

Dont forget Octavius, Furious, Maleek, etc. PUUUUURE BLACKNESS. Even Don Cornelius had to J!GG his name up a little.

January 19, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  16. jeff

I hear ya Dan the man. Blacks are always doing something funny. That is why we have always found them so entertaining. I even heard one name Dashiki Eunike Washington. LOL.

January 19, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  17. dan

She isnt a j!gg. Notice those garky celebs always name their little hood rats something odd. But then most blaks do that anyhow. Laqwanda, Laquecia, Tyree, Danitra, Jamal, Shantal, etc. All of those afrocentric names are just a mess.

January 19, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  18. monkey

i'm not sure Arthur is much better than Apple but at least its not Blue Ivy – thats really gonna challenge that girl in the future

January 19, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  19. cubicle desk

Selma Blair is A-OK. Its nice to hear from someone in Hollywood with some sense.

January 19, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Cletis

Not much faith in the family genes ?

January 19, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  21. fucnn001

What!? Are you kidding me? This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. What does looks have to do with your name? More proof that these Hollywood actors have the intelligence of your average high school student.

January 19, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Ed

It may sound harsh but it's realistic. I think she's on point.

January 19, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |