'Glee' returns with NeNe...and a cliffhanger
January 18th, 2012

'Glee' returns with NeNe...and a cliffhanger

"Glee" returned on Tuesday night with reality star NeNe Leakes, Helen Mirren's voice (which provided Becky's internal monologue), and not one but two proposals - the last of which ended in a cliffhanger.

(If you're nervous about spoilers, you should stop reading now.)

Let's start with Leakes' character, Roz Washington, the synchronized swim coach who is just as vocal as Leakes is on her Bravo reality show.

As Washington, Leakes rattles off a string of biting critiques towards poor trouty mouth Sam, who wants to join her swim team in hopes of getting a letter jacket to win Mercedes over.

"It was brief, but the Atlanta 'Housewife' proved she could spit out incisive verbal barbs at students with a disdain and rapidity Sue Sylvester would surely take...her hat off to," said Entertainment Weekly.

Not everyone was as impressed, and TooFab notes that Leakes' "Glee" character has at least two things in common with her reality TV personality: "a loud mouth and a short fuse."

Aside from Coach Washington's snide remarks, there was still a lot of love in the air: Will asked for Emma's hand in marriage with the aid of the glee club doing a rendition of Rihanna in the background (apparently, Mr. Schue doesn't really have any adult friends). And then there was the proposal that Gleeks may not have seen coming.

After learning that his father didn't die in combat as he thought, but actually passed away from a drug overdoes, a devastated Finn is compelled to propose to Rachel.

As the Washington Post points out, Finn must be fully aware that Rachel has no intent on being a high school football player's housewife, especially that far from Broadway. (The Wall Street Journal, meanwhile, simply asks, "Is Finn nuts?")

We won't find out how Rachel responds until next week, but Cory Monteith tells E! that the proposal was the real deal.

"Finn has some real, real feelings toward Rachel that lead toward it," the actor explains. "I think he's also trying to hold on to something...He's trying to hang on to what he considers to be the one good thing in his life that he has going, which is his relationship with Rachel."

What about you, "Glee" fans? What'd you think of the episode, and were you surprised by the cliffhanger?

Filed under: Glee • television

1. web hosting

I simply could not go away your web site prior to suggesting that I extremely loved the standard information a person provide for your guests? Is likely to be again frequently in order to inspect new posts web hosting http://www.dancome.org

May 16, 2013 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  2. i'm sorry your grammar

is not good today can you be a little more specific? thank you

January 25, 2013 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Rosette Trinie

really u guys r funny or i shd called it wierd. u hate wat u watch but then kip watching.who in the world does that?

January 25, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Rayan

How did the Mayans know about this galactic angmnielt anyways? I have always given it heed and wonder, what would happen if the Earth's polarity was suddenly switched, like a light switch. If our planted gets caught between the sun and the zenith point of a black hole, I believe this could do it.So then what? The core is dense, the mantle is thin. Does the planet reverse it's rotation? HOw many hours, days months would that take? And what happens to the atmosphere if the earth's rotation slows?? Would the mantle slip like the skin on a grape? could we get the amazon river up at the north pole after it all shakes out? Love to hear your comments. I know I'm crazy, so don't go there. Just tell me hypothetically and I won't tell your friends .

March 14, 2012 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  5. kv

NeNe has the right to do what she pleases, BUT I will NOT support her. Her claim of "keeping it real," is just an excuse to be a rude, loud mouth, bully. I REALLY, hope she stops the bafoonery and realize that she has a young son (not the low life grown one) that not only has to watch her ignorance, but I'm sure he has to defend it as well. I have no problem with her making money and getting jobs, it's just that you are supposed to progress and mature in life...not go backwards! As a black woman (from the south)....I'm soooo tired of these low life women on tv making everyone think that's how we all act, and that we all think it's "cool" to be an ignorant, loud mouth, violent, and mean woman! My family would kill me if I acted like this!

January 22, 2012 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  6. madmoma

If Kim k. can be in a Tyler Perry movie, NeNe can be on Glee!! Make that money NeNe, just remember you don't have to fake speaking proper it is just too fake, makes you sound like a fool!!!

January 21, 2012 at 7:14 am | Report abuse |
  7. comment

did edina menzel's character just disappear after the troubletones lost sectionals?

January 20, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jim Dandey

What's a "Ne Ne"?

January 19, 2012 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  9. LO

LOL.. "overdoes.." But seriously, Nene on Glee? Ha! I can't wait for it to air on hulu, so I can catch up on my Glee awesomeness! Ok in all reality, which grown man doesn't have an adult friend he can ask to be his best man? That's a pretty sad life there, Mr. Schue! I do, however, think Finn proposing to Rachel is realistic. The kid is an idealist and a romantic, trying desperately to hold onto the one thing that makes sense in his life now. He's putting all his eggs in one basket and hoping their love is strong enough to conquer Rachel's lifelong desire for broadway. We'll see if love will conquer all, at the end. (I'm just kidding about the love thing.. gotta be a realist in life to survive, kid!) But, back to Nene.. hahahahah.. this will be one hillarious show! It's truly remarkable to me how these people make millions or close to it and at the same time, we love to watch them make a complete fool of themselves! Gotta love the US of A. Ok enough of my ramblings! Ciao :)

January 19, 2012 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jenny

You lost me at NeNe. Who wants to watch this self centered raging idiot on TV anymore? She is untalented and usless and you just lost a fan. I'm sure more will jump ship.............

January 19, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  11. DiatribesAndOvations.com

When the girls sang "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" it was the best four minutes of television in a long time. Good enough to forget the various subplots that are really only there to kill time between musical performances.

January 19, 2012 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • LO

Yup! The BEST thing about the show, hands down, is the MUSIC! This is the only reason why I've been an ardent fan from day 1! And the fact that, the show is set in O-H-I-O! :)

January 19, 2012 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Denise

Finn's dad might be the first person in history to have died from a drug "overdoes."

January 19, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Tina

I missed some parts of the show (like NeNe's stint). But I am a little disappointed that she was even PUT on the show. She's a reality celeb, and not a very likeable one, and not one that has a talent (except for being a loud-mouth). Please don't reduce the show to that. Is Snooki going to show up as a transfer student next week?

January 19, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Madtown

This is awesome news! Who's NeNe?

January 19, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  15. maria

What a trash ,Nene is ghetto and will be always ghetto."You can take the kid from the ghetto but you can't take the ghetto from the kid" how true! only in this County this people became rich and famous! not class at all.I hear about her since she is in al he tabloids and made me sad ! not class !what is next she will be the next President? this woman is evil,nasty disgusting and low class !

January 19, 2012 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  16. LoJenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-wQwoIUcNs&w=640&h=390]

January 19, 2012 at 3:15 am | Report abuse |
  17. luvobama

Jealous much bob? you are just a paycheck away from welfare. Powerful Nene can buy you.

January 18, 2012 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  18. bob

Ne ne what a disaster, shouldn't she be on the welfare line already

January 18, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  19. DougB

Overall, I enjoyed last night's Glee episode, but I had a few problems with some of the storylines–they were fantasy storylines. Do we really believe that in real life that a love relationship could exist in the characters of Mercedes and Sam. I am sorry, but an in shape teenage guy would never date an out of shape teenage girl. The more realist storyline was illustrated between Artie and Sue's sidekick. Another issue, Doesn't Mr. Shue have an adult friend to ask to be his best man. Would a teacher do such a thing? I was a bit surpised by the Finn proposal, you mean to tell me that he's still clueless about Rachel's professional ambition. I know he's not the shapest knife in the drawer, but he's not stupid either. I realize Glee is part fantasy, but an occassional dose of reality is needed in the storylines.

January 18, 2012 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • tupperlexi

You're DISGUSTING to think that love has a weight limit. TOOL.
      Also, Becky is her name.
      If you wanna hate on the "fantasies" of television, I suggest the best remedy is to shut it off?

January 19, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Becca

My brother told me that Becky had died, and I missed that episode, did she really die in an episode last season or the season before? if so, why was she in last night's show?

January 19, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry

Becky did not die. Sadly it was Sue's sister who died. Sue was incredibly close to her sister who had Down's.

January 19, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  20. @2:29

I agree. You see who is being trolled now. Poor little troll babies, can't stand up to a guy with a spine! Keep up the good work, Leo.

January 18, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Observer

I saw this program once and it made me want to physically destroy my television. It is THAT bad.

January 18, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • locochanel

And yet here you find yourself reading and responding to a story about it on CNN. Kinda sad, don't you think?

January 23, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  22. bee

Just when I thought the show couldn't get any less convincing, this episode aired. Overall, I enjoyed it, but the Finn/Rachel storyline has turned into something that makes me roll my eyes. I mean, really? A high school senior proposing to his girlfriend? This show has been a good role model for gay teens, but this is not a good message to send to teenagers.

January 18, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gamma Di

Good message to send to teenagers? Funny, my high school sweetheart proposed to me in our final year...28 years ago and still married. It can happen!

January 19, 2012 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Tabatha

So agree with you bee! Gamma Di, I was married at the age of 17, right out of high school, no pregnancy was NOT the reason we married and have been married for 25 yrs. (never had kids is also the reason we've been married for so long too) However, your experience and my experience is a thing of the past, the only reason kids get married right out of high school now is b/c the kids are having kids syndrome, nothing more.

January 19, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Keith

Why typin' in all caps, tracie? U mad all ur posts were deleted? HAHAHAHA!

January 18, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |