Happy 90th birthday, Betty White
January 17th, 2012

Happy 90th birthday, Betty White

Betty White kicked off her 90th birthday celebration with the world watching - or, at least, the 14 million who tuned in to NBC at 8 p.m.

The celebrated "Golden Girl" officially enters her ninth decade today, and NBC threw her a birthday party during primetime Monday that featured guest appearances from other funny folks like Amy Poehler, Carol Burnett and White's former co-star, Mary Tyler Moore, in a 90-minute special.

Even President Obama sent in a video message - asking White to prove she's 90 by providing a long-form birth certificate (at least he can joke about that now?).

Meanwhile, "Chuck" actor Zachary Levi proclaimed his love for White with a marriage proposal, and got a kiss in return.

The A.V. Club describes the special as "an extended lifetime achievement presentation mixed with a fair amount of roasting."

It wasn't as cutting as the kind you'll find on Comedy Central - one example included Amy Poehler making  a wisecrack on White's age, saying that she considers the actress to be a pioneer - because 90 years ago she arrived in California via stage coach.

White told those gathered, "I've been the luckiest broad on two feet to have all the jobs that I've had."

Indeed, the 90-year-old star is not slowing down at all. Her new program, "Betty White's Off Their Rockers," debuted last night on NBC following her birthday special. The hidden camera series features the senior citizen set pulling pranks on the unsuspecting.

Did you catch Betty White's birthday special, or her prank show? What'd you think?

Filed under: Celebrities • television

1. Cat Training

Good day very nice site!! Guy .. Beautiful .. Superb .. I'll bookmark your web site and take the feeds also?I'm glad to search out a lot of useful information right here in the post, we'd like work out more strategies in this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .

June 17, 2012 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  2. Susan

My daughters and I loved her show...seniors playing tricks on people. It was so funny! We laughed all the way through the show. Betty White is a classy, funny lady. Can't believe she's 90! Good for her, still going strong.

January 28, 2012 at 3:17 am | Report abuse |
  3. Joan

Thanks for giving us a new look at being an older woman (I'm 61). I will always remember your husband, Alan Ludden, from Password. I watched that show as a child with my mom and she felt so sad when he left us and sad for you too.. You are a very special lady!

January 28, 2012 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
  4. Tina

I have always loved Betty White (Mary Tyler Moore Show, Password [her sweet husband Allen Ludden], Golden Girls, The Proposal), even though old people kinda give me the creeps. But someday (maybe) I'll be old and won't want to look at myself in the mirror 'cause I give myself the creeps ;-)

January 19, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Sarah Damptey

Hi BETTY WHITE, how are u and happy happy 90th birth day to u. May good God continue to bless you "Amen" i love you so much, especially your movie time. Bye byeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 19, 2012 at 6:05 am | Report abuse |
  6. Yaiyo1962 - NBC SHOULD BE PLUCKED IN THE FOREHEAD FROM THE TOP DOWN

I LOVE BETTY WHITE. Her show following her birthday party was hilarious. NBC SHOULD BE PLUCKED IN THE FOREHEAD FROM THE TOP DOWN!!!
    They had the party on MLK, Jr. birthday and did NOTHING for his birthday. Betty's birthday was the next day. No wonder NBC is 3rd!

January 18, 2012 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. augustghost

90!...that cooch has to stink to high heaven

January 18, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Simon562

That "cooch" as you call it has probably seen more fun they you ever will you dirtbag.

January 18, 2012 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yaiyo1962

It is pretty sick that you would think of a 90-year-old woman in that manner.....ewww on YOUR part.

January 18, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Andew

@TheMarqueeBlog "The celebrated 'Golden Girl' enters her ninth decade today..." If she's turning 90, she's entering her tenth decade, genius.

January 18, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  9. monkeymix

I only watched the first 10 minutes or so but I liked when Amy Poehler congratulated her on always being the funniest person in a room. Love Amy and love Betty!

January 18, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Leucadia Bob

Mike Rudolph – Top Notch!
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS4XouXr3AQ&w=640&h=390]

January 18, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mary Halderson

Happy Birthday Betty & many more! I have always enjoyed seeing you & the wonderful programs that you make brighten up any room. '

January 18, 2012 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  12. Anqle

Happy Birthdayy !<3

January 18, 2012 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  13. Jane

Happy birthday! Do you wanna have more friends?Browse http://www.seniorssingledating.com/ . Unlike other sites, SeniorsSingleDating assists you to connect with millions of senior singles for friendship, dating, serious relationship, activity partner and more. Best wishes!

January 18, 2012 at 1:44 am | Report abuse |
  14. Character

No, Betty White is not entering her ninth decade. She is entering her TENTH decade, having completed her ninth.

January 17, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Traumamamama

Bette White proves you can be classy and still work in Hollywood. She is an amazing woman and an inspiration to ageism in Hollywood. I have tremendous admiration and respect for her, especially her passion for animals and all she has done for the good of animals. For those who made mean and nasty comments about her, you are simply - ignorant jerks and jealous. Only classless jerks of the trailer trash population would say such "ignorant" things. A pox on you all.

January 17, 2012 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  16. tiara

The special presented by NBC last night was so hilarious I laughed and laughed... To think Betty is still going on strong... wow!!! Her smarts, beauty and kind heart were on full display. Congratulations, my dearest golden girl... May God bless you always...

January 17, 2012 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Snorlax

Isn't she the one who used to yell "Where's the beef" on that old commercial?

January 17, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  18. lroy

Finally, WHERE is it written that you have to retire at a certain age? If she wants to work at 90, or 95 or even 100, why the heck not? Just wait until YOU get that old.

January 17, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  19. carrieanne

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BETTY! Full steam ahead lady! Actually Mary Tyler Moore looks pretty good. Shes been an insulin dependant diabetic since before there were home glucometers to monitor blood sugar. Two testimonies to taking care of yourself!

January 17, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  20. starrfire

Happy Birthday, Betty! She was my favorite on "Golden Girls". What I love about her is that she has aged gracefully, without cosmetic surgery and is still beautiful at 90!

January 17, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  21. @pmn

Did u mean to type pms?

January 17, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Sandy

Happy Birthday, Betty . . . and God bless you. You have given me and many others years of laughter. That and your kindness to animals is what sets you apart from the rest. We need more people like you in this world.

Many, many more healthy and happy birthdays to you.

January 17, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  23. grandma

Birthday celebration was ok, but her program following with the elderly playing jokes on the younger folk was horrible. It made elderly people look like jerks and was disrespectful to seniors...Please don't make this a regular show...Betty should know better to lend her name to that "show".....

January 17, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  24. literate

How can you not like Betty? She's wonderful. Her smile makes me happy :) Golden Girls was my fav show at age 14. A gerontologist's dream come true. Oh Betty, will you be my G'Ma?

January 17, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Ty

observer is the troll get a room.lol

January 17, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  26. pmn

They need to ban you from any CNN blog as you always have nasty and gross comments. Good riddance.

January 17, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Ron B

What a wonderful lady.... over the years she has made me laugh and that's a wonderful thing. I was surprised how many of her partners are still alive.... although Mary Tylor Moore does not look very healthy. Here's to another 10 laugh filled years...

January 17, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  28. JeanneMarie

She is one classy lady! I could not stop grinning and laughing! It was great to see all of her co-stars and to watch Betty's work from previous shows! Many more birthdays Betty! Happy Birthday!

January 17, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  29. trix are for kids

Evel vs. Observer, interesting.

January 17, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  30. @observer

why don't u take your conservative, pious opinion & stick it up your right wing agenda.

January 17, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chuck

Okay, dumb@$$, everything you say goes back to yourself only double! If you don't like Betty white, you have NO sense of humor!

January 18, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Evel Knievel

When is this old hag going to walk off to die like an old cat?

January 17, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer@Evel

You must be a liberal. No respect for life. Typical of the party of hate.

January 17, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Michael McGuire

Actually, she entered her 10th decade – and I'm happy she's around!

January 17, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • clockwatch

Yeah, you'd think they've figured out how to count by now, huh? This IS the beginning of her 10th decade. C'mon, CNN. It's the same as like, we're in the 21st Century now, not 20th... I love Betty White. GO BETTY!

January 17, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Peace

I like Prez Obama's video msg, too funny! Happy b-day Betty!

January 17, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  34. LBW

She is still such a cutie!!

January 17, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Snarky

Happy Birthday Betty White. Now please, PLEASE retire.

January 17, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  36. breanna

HAPPY BRITHDAY BETTY LOVE YOU I HOPE U HAD A GREAT BRITHDAY AND MANY MORE THANK FOR THE LAUGHS SO MANY YEARS

January 17, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Rob Hillock

Awesome. Cool to see the showing clips of her thru out her career.

January 17, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Sly Sadie

Happy Birthday, Betty! May you have many more. Thanks for all the laughs over the years!

January 17, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |