Dr. Drew has another 'Rehab' - but without celebs
January 17th, 2012

Dr. Drew has another 'Rehab' - but without celebs

Giving recovering stars a break from showing their struggles with addiction on national TV,  Dr. Drew Pinsky is taking the "celebrity" out of his VH1 reality show and is opting to work more with everyday people.

Pinsky's new program is tentatively being called "Rehab with Dr. Drew," and will "follow the real-life experiences of young adults who are struggling with addiction as they undergo the same detoxification and treatment plan at The Pasadena Recovery Center" that was featured on the "Celebrity Rehab" version, a statement says.

The idea is to reflect the struggles of the network's core demographic, and so "Rehab with Dr. Drew" will focus on 20- and 30-somethings who are trying to get clean and gain a fresh start.

Pinsky says in the statement that he's "excited" to be able to continue to educate the TV audience about "the deadly disease of addiction."

“The stigma and shame associated with drug and alcohol addiction prevents many from getting the help that they need,” he said. “It is my sincere hope that this show will encourage people who are struggling to seek the help. Treatment works and there is hope and recovery is possible.”

"Rehab with Dr. Drew" is slated to bow on VH1 this summer.

Filed under: television

1. beats

Woah this weblog is excellent i love reading your articles. Keep up the good paintings! You realize, many individuals are searching around for this info, you could help them greatly.

April 21, 2012 at 2:40 am | Report abuse |
  2. Joanne Mazzotta

About where addiction can take you. About suicide and the aftereffects on a loving family. About grief, codependency and fear. About healing, about love.

January 23, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jane

Wanna hook up with a wrinkled up old raisin? Check out my senior singles dating site....it suks!

January 18, 2012 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jane

Hey Jane. Suk it! Your dating site is for prunes and fogeys. Lame and super gay!!

January 18, 2012 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  5. MaryHartmanMaryHartman

Why does it have to be about "young" adults? Are old drunks and druggies not interesting or glamorous enough to be televised?????
    It is pathetic, anyway, that anyone would publicize their struggles to such an extent. Is nothing private or sacred any longer???

January 18, 2012 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  6. dandrewa

I believe the old addage "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink" applies here.I think that DrDrew seems to listen to what the people he tries to help say but in the end it is totally up to them to change their path and beat their demons as tough a challenge as it is, in my life I have found that the Bible and scripture seem to aim me to make a difference in overcoming issues that are plaguing me. keep up the good work Dr Drew

January 18, 2012 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  7. Cindy

Love Dr. Drew. Hate that he is selling out to the circus. Its all about the money, as so many things are in this world.

January 18, 2012 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
  8. Dr Drew is a ....

Dr drew is a jew that wants to screw the few he knew. What a poo! I gonna ram his poop chute with a big ol monster sized dil-do!! What a dirt-bag!!

January 18, 2012 at 6:57 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jane

Well, do you wanna have more friends?Browse http://www.seniorssingledating.com/ . Unlike other sites, SeniorsSingleDating assists you to connect with millions of senior singles for friendship, dating, serious relationship, activity partner and more.

January 18, 2012 at 4:19 am | Report abuse |
  10. Kristina in Canada

Way to make money off misery, Dr.! kudos...NOT!

January 18, 2012 at 2:30 am | Report abuse |
  11. kat

I've never watched Dr. Drew (I don't have cable), but I've listened to him on Loveline. As a widow of a prescription drug addict, I've found Dr. Drew's comments to be pretty on-the-money. Losing a loved one to an overdose sucks, but it sucks worse for people to assume he was a loser of a human being. He wasn't; he was a good man, a good husband and a good father who developed a very bad problem. Until the "loser" stigma goes away, people will be reluctant to seek help.

January 18, 2012 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  12. Janson

Awesome idea about inserting real people into Drew's rehab showinstead of all those arrogant selfish Hollywood brats with massively distorted senses of reality. Except for all those gossip-mongers who live for celebrity drama and prefer the original Celeb Rehab, those of us who have been touched by addiction will like this new twist that exposes this massively devastating and dangerous disease on real people...just like all of us reading this article now.

January 17, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  13. yarii

Treatment/rehab does not work if the person doesn't have support. And by support I don't mean T.L.C. My mother has been in countless rehab centers, church retreats, N.A meetings & methadone programs (a drug that addicts end up becoming dependent on & it also worsens their health!). My final straw as her child was when she blurred the line of respect & cleaned her crack pipe in my presence, I realized I had given up on her & I had to change the situation. I gave my mother an ultimatum, get clean or I'll disappear (at the time I was 18, and living with her; I paid the bills). I can't take all the credit but I made sure I did what I had to do to help my mother. She went to a detox program, we moved, I timed her when she went out & called her at all times. I never let her be alone. It took a lot of time & determination for her to gain my trust back. This year marks 4 years of her being clean, & she is also doing a Methodone detox.

I want her to keep doing well because I aspire to one day tell my struggles as a witness to how drugs change not only the addict but those around them.

January 17, 2012 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • David K

Your mother is very lucky to have a daughter such as you. Plese tell us you are getting some counselling or professional help to assist you on the road to a happy and healthy future. It is very hard/damaging on teens to have to "parent" their parent. Acknowledge this, understand no one is immune and ensure your own prospects for future happiness. You are clearly a special person!

January 19, 2012 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  14. charlene garrett

I WILL REALLY MISS HIM NOT HAVING THE RICH AND FAMOUS ON THERE, I THINK ITS A MUST THAT WE UNDERSTAND THAT THEY HAVE PROBLEMS ALSO AND THE WORK THEY HAVE TO DO TO GET HELP. I DOUBT THAT I WILL WATCH THIS AS MUCH WITH OUT THE TWIST TO IT OF OUR FAMOUS PEOPLE, BUT THATS JUST ME,I WISH HIM LUCK

January 17, 2012 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jesse

It's a must that we know celebrities have drug problems? Really? Why? And do we need a recurring show to tell us that? Just admit that you enjoy seeing pseudo-famous folk with screwed up lives.

January 17, 2012 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Deborah Kaczorowski

Why doesn't Dr. Drew treat nicotine addicts? I've heard nicotine is as addictive as heroin.

January 17, 2012 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  16. paul

Addiction is a disease that must be treated as if you have cancer. Diagnos, treat, and hopefully go into remission, but understanding that there is never a cure. People don't have addiction problems at first they have life problems that lead to long term substance abuse. Then the addiction manifests itself and physical changes occur in the central nervous system and the body as a whole that people can't fight it anymore and choosing to use becomes more difficult and becomes more like a reflex. Dr. Drew is doing good things by putting everyday addicts instead of celebreties on his show. Look forward to it.

January 17, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  17. warren

Drug addiction is very serious on our planet we have to deal with before it destroys us!

January 17, 2012 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  18. mamalew

Love Dr. Drew so much! I only I had an addiction...I would seek his advice. But I do think he does a lot of good with his shows. Not everyone can afford inpatient rehab but they can learn how important help it is seek help.

January 17, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  19. cubicle desk

We do wish Nancy Grace would talk some about Yoran VanDerSloot and the Aruba case though. He really seems like a bad guy. CNN HLN RULES !

January 17, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  20. cubicle desk

I like DR. Drew. Missed it last night because we were watching the pres debates. Usually it is either him or Comedy Central for us at 9. Futurama is ok too.

January 17, 2012 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Sherri

I I notice that the statement reads 'treatment works' , rather than 'rehab works'. Treatment can address symptoms and side effects- it is not a cure. Like many facets of life, addiction can be managed, but the term 'cure' really does not apply. Only when the person with the addiction makes a choice- and they do have the ability to choose- will any management be possible.

January 17, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Loren

For a professional, Dr. Drew apparently doesn't have a clue–it is not the stigma and shame of drug addiction that prevents people from getting help, it is the addiction itself, only when addicts are confronted with an insurmountable reality do they make an attempt to change their behavior, and by insurmountable, I mean something that they cannot escape that forces them to confront their addiction and make an effort to change, incarceration, loss of livelihood, loss of loved ones. If Dr. Pinsky was addicted to something that society frowned upon, not just fame, he might have a more personal understanding of addiction and provide more caring help to those in need.

January 17, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  23. CHEEFSFURY

MEDEEA HORE

January 17, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • paul Mailloux

Dr. Drew and Dr. Phil educate folks to some basic concepts regarding addiction and mental health. But, they still have to sell "soap", add drama and create entertainment value from suffering. Quite a compromise.

January 17, 2012 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • BeReal

I was on Dr.Drew's Life Changers and I never felt the show cared about me as a person. It was like they cared more about the story and making me look bad just so they could get good ratings.

January 18, 2012 at 1:55 am | Report abuse |
    • bereal

Also, what we need to do is start early on in someone's life to prevent addictions. TV shows like this aren't really doing anything to teach anyone to NOT do drugs or have an addiction. I know my addiction started at a young age when I found myself trying so hard to escape the trauma at home. I found myself looking up to others a lot and idolizing the wrong people. I didn't know how to love me first. This is where we need to help people. When kids are being bullied at school and then come home to more trauma they learn to believe they are bad. They then start to look up to the wrong people because no one taught them what real love is. Shows like this are only out to make profit rather than trying to really fix the problem. I feel bad for anyone who wants to call this show for help because they really do not care.

January 18, 2012 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |