'Artist,' 'Tinker Tailor' and 'Hugo' lead BAFTA noms
January 17th, 2012

'Artist,' 'Tinker Tailor' and 'Hugo' lead BAFTA noms

The glimmer of hope for an Oscar nod next week is looking a little brighter for a few of the race's dark horses following the BAFTAs reveal of the 2012 Orange British Academy Film Awards nominees on Tuesday.

In addition to “The Artist” and “Hugo,” which were handed 12 and 9 BAFTA nods respectively (and are front-runners for Oscar best picture nominations), films that had been considered somewhat long shots, such as “Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy” and “Drive,” also received multiple nominations, possibly bumping their chances with Oscar.

“Tinker” was especially heavily lauded, picking up 11 nominations, including best film, outstanding British film, director, adapted screenplay and lead actor (Gary Oldman), among its haul.

While some of these are not necessarily a surprise (British film, British awards), "Tinker" clearly resonated with the BAFTA members. With a possible 10 best picture slots at the Oscars this year and Oldman on many people’s short list for an acting nod, perhaps this is exactly what the film needed.

Alexander Payne’s “The Descendants" only picked up three from the BAFTAs: Best film, adapted screenplay and leading actor.

Carey Mulligan, considered a long shot for Oscar for “Shame,” may have boosted her chances with a best supporting actress BAFTA nomination. That goes along with "Shame's" nomination in the outstanding British film category, and a best actor nod for Michael Fassbender.

The Oscar nominations will be announced on Tuesday, January 24, with the BAFTA awards taking place in London on Sunday, February 12. The awards season draws to a close with the Academy Awards on Sunday, February 26.

Here's a partial list of nominees - to see the full list, visit BAFTA.org.

Best film

"The Artist"
The Descendants"
"Drive"
"The Help"
"Tinker Tailor Solider Spy"

Outstanding British film

"My Week with Marilyn"
"Senna"
"Shame"
"Tinker Tailor Solider Spy"
"We Need to Talk About Kevin"

Outstanding debut by a British writer, director or producer

Joe Cornish (Director/Writer), "Attack the Block"
Will Sharpe (Director/Writer), Tom Kingsley (Director), Sarah Brocklehurst (Producer), "Black Pond"
Ralph Fiennes (Director), "Coriolanus"
Richard Ayoade (Director/Writer), "Submarine"
Paddy Considine (Director), Diarmid Scrimshaw (Producer), "Tyrannosaur"

Film not in the English language

"Incendies"
"Pina"
"Potiche"
"A Separation"
"The Skin I Live In"

Documentary

"George Harrison: Living in the Material World"
"Project Nim"
"Senna"

Animated film

"The Adventures of Tintin"
"Arthur Christmas"
"Rango"

Director

Michel Hazanavicius, "The Artist"
Nicolas Winding Refn, "Drive"
Martin Scorsese, "Hugo"
Tomas Alfredson, "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy"
Lynne Ramsay, "We Need to Talk About Kevin"

Original screenplay

Michel Hazanavicius, "The Artist"
Annie Mumolo, Kristen Wiig, "Bridesmaids"
John Michael McDonagh, "The Guard"
Abi Morgan, "The Iron Lady"
Woody Allen, "Midnight in Paris"

Adapted screenplay

Alexander Payne, Nat Faxon, Jim Rash, "The Descendants"
Tate Taylor, "The Help"
George Clooney, Grant Heslov, Beau Willimon, "The Ides of March"
Steven Zaillian, Aaron Sorkin, "Moneyball"
Bridget O'Connor, Peter Straughan, "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy"

Leading actor

Brad Pitt, "Moneyball"
Gary Oldman, "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy"
George Clooney, "The Descendants"
Jean Dujardin, "The Artist"
Michael Fassbender, "Shame"

Leading actress

Berenice Bejo, "The Artist"
Meryl Streep, "The Iron Lady"
Michelle Williams, "My Week with Marilyn"
Tilda Swinton, "We Need to Talk About Kevin"
Viola Davis, "The Help"

Supporting actor

Christopher Plummer, "Beginners"
Jim Broadbent, "The Iron Lady"
Jonah Hill, "Moneyball"
Kenneth Branagh, "My Week with Marilyn"
Philip Seymour Hoffman, "The Ides of March"

Supporting actress

Carey Mulligan, "Drive"
Jessica Chastain, "The Help"
Judi Dench, "My Week with Marilyn"
Melissa McCarthy, "Bridesmaids"
Octavia Spencer, "The Help"

Original music

Ludovic Bource, "The Artist"
Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross, "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"
Howard Shore, "Hugo"
Alberto Iglesias, "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy"
John Williams, "War Horse"

1. Jane

Well, Have you heard http://www.seniorssingledating.com/? It's the best and most effective senior dating site for senior singles over 50! Many of our members are well-educated, successful, and fresh in mind. I think you will like it.

January 18, 2012 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  2. enoch100

What is BARFTA?

January 17, 2012 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Rita

When are they going to show "The Artist" nationwide? It is still playing in limited theaters. I can't wait to see it because it looks like a nice change from the usual crap that comes out of hollywood.

January 17, 2012 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. B D Carter

Hugo's critical praise is a shame. It just goes to show that if you show the slightest reverence or nostalgia for cinematic history, critics will overlook your egregious pacing, editing and screenplay flaws. I enjoy Scorcese's work and Hugo has its moments, but it's very flawed film that should lose every award its nominated for; there is a superior candidate in every category.

The Artist, on the other hand, has all the charm that Hugo's main characters lack, and is a far better way to praise the history of cinema.

January 17, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. nyc1

Carey Mulligan's nomination is for Drive, not Shame like the article suggests

January 17, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. EveNewtonJobs

Now now...

January 17, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. @richard fore

That is gross. Glad I not ur girl or boy.lol

January 17, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Richard Fore

The reason I asked about the pearl necklace is because I like the really long stranded ones. I like to cram them up my azz & pull it out real slow. oooo, now that makes my day!

January 17, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. @troll

got yurself a split personality or what? scary.....

January 17, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Alecia

I like bathing in poo . makes me hungry

January 17, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. starrfire

I like to bath in poo 2

January 17, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  12. starrfire

That's all i get cuz men wont touch me down there. the sent of shrimp is just 2 much 4 them

January 17, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Sly Sadie

@richard. i get a few every night after dancing the pole. I don't care if i'm off topic. I say what i want.

January 17, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Peace

@ Richard Fore, Pearls are pretty. I love anything my man gets me. Im sure your other 1/2 will love anything you get her! Sorry peeps, off topic I know.

January 17, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  15. cubicle desk

SCOOOOOOBY DOOO ! Im fixing to hop in the mistery machine and munch on some scooby snacks.

January 17, 2012 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  16. Leo

The only movie I am even slightly interested in on this list is Hugo. Now that it is nominated for a few awards, I am going to have to make the time to see it.

January 17, 2012 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
    • billionairefriends.com_date

Fellows, listen up! Looking for a mature partner to pamper and take care of you, perhaps financially? Try BillionaireFriends.COMit's what you want!! You attractive and young people, beautiful, intelligent and classy college students, aspiring actresses or models who struggling in the early part of your career!!!

January 17, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |