January 16th, 2012

Sean Penn named ambassador at large to Haiti

Before the Golden Globes this weekend, there was another fete with A-listers in attendance: A fundraiser gala for Sean Penn's J/P Haitian Relief Organization.

Penn, who has been assisting with earthquake relief for Haiti since the disaster struck in January of 2010, was honored on Saturday night at the event and officially named the ambassador at large to Haiti by the country's Minister of Foreign and Religious Affairs, Laurent Lamothe.

The dinner, which was organized by Cinema for Peace, raised $5 million to put toward the efforts of rebuilding, according to a statement, and Penn told CNN at the event that Haiti is at a crucial turning point.

"The work that has been done, while slow and frustrating in many cases, it is a miraculous amount of work that has been done in the last two years," the actor said. "If we’re able to follow through on that – build the trust between the countries and build the trust between the organizations that are doing productive work as opposed to those that don’t - I think that this could be a dynamic jump forward."

The 51-year-old star was joined by Hollywood names like George Clooney, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kim Kardashian and Mel Gibson, as well as those in the political arena, like California Attorney General Kamala Harris.

Kardashian, who recently traveled to Haiti, told CNN that her trip was illuminating.

“I didn’t have any expectations going down there and I really wanted to learn for myself," she said. "When I got down there, I felt like there is so much that needs to be done, I didn’t know where to start. So, by working with different organizations you really learn what you can do to help, and I just think that everyone can help in any way, whether it's online [or otherwise]. My experience was definitely eye-opening, and I can’t wait to go back.”

1. seo

Cool blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere? A theme like yours getting a few simple tweeks would really make my blog jump out. Please let me know where you got your theme. Cheers seo http://fiverr.com/twnseobacklink

April 25, 2013 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
  2. BDSMTUBE

Excellent web site. A lot of useful info here. I'm sending it to a few pals ans additionally sharing in delicious. And of course, thanks in your effort!

January 16, 2013 at 4:08 am | Report abuse |
  3. Air Max 90 White White

hello,my friend,how are you
    Air Max 90 White White http://www.airmax90white.net

January 8, 2013 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Demi Lovato Lyrics

I savor, result in I found exactly what I was having a look for. You've ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

August 15, 2012 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  5. symptoms of pancreatic cancer

You are actually a just right webmaster. The website loading pace is amazing. It seems that you're doing any unique trick. Moreover, The contents are masterwork. you have performed a wonderful job in this topic!

August 14, 2012 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  6. Pharmk116

Hello! cfckkae interesting cfckkae site! I'm really like it! Very, very cfckkae good!

March 20, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Orange County Electrician

Hello my loved one! I want to say that this post is awesome, nice written and come with almost all vital infos. I'd like to see more posts like this .

February 18, 2012 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  8. Naitsirhc

do not eat. ploepe have gone for several weeks without food you can make it. there is noting more financially suicidal than cash advance loans.

February 14, 2012 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
  9. Chris Okoli

I am a Nigerian-American Investment Adviser here in America and really want to show my appreciation on what Sean Penn is doing in Haiti. I hope that I might be able to help in anyway that I can. Please let somebody contact me and let us see how I can be of help.

January 24, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. apalaVeptaino

Dependent on Hitwise, a provider and that sessions search key phrases as movements, Craiglist is starting to become a major #1 keyword phrase. Using Craigs list you already know that running without shoes consists of helpful knowledge. As a with relative ease discover using sellers within the picked city in the uk, how do you examine sale listings sent in across a full kingdom, or maybe the planet?

The way Study Double Attractions on a Cl .

January 18, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Sophie

I'm Canadian. According to our news sources Canada has donated a total of $1B in humanitarian and crisis efforts to Haiti since 2006. $5 million raised? that'll all be consumed before the week ends. God knows how much of that went where it actually needed to go. People are growing tired of hearing about Haiti. We can't help people who aren't willing to help themselves and each other. Waiting around for aid to come has aggrevated alot of people who put their hard earned money into this country. We can't afford to feed them meal after meal for the rest of their lives. There are plenty of people here who can't afford food and medicine. Have you seen the cost of prescription drugs lately?

January 18, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Pimpson

This guy's a commie. He's no ambassador.

January 18, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  13. KMA Penn

KmyA, SmyD, LmyA and GTH you no good for nothing POS penn. Detroit is in worst shape than fuk n Haiti. How about doing some fund raising for the USA. As a matter of fact all actors and actresses can KmyA, SmyD, LmyA and GTH. Nothing but a bunch of phonnies. Remember you heard it from me first, the islamic terrorist cells will start striking other parts of the USA from Detroit within the next ten years.

January 18, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Leucadia Bob

Mike Rudoplh – Top Notch!
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS4XouXr3AQ&w=640&h=390]

January 18, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  15. martyMo

Only the Communist News Network can applaud this person.

January 18, 2012 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  16. Aardvaark

While you trolls all bark in unison that Penn should live in Haiti and how much you hate Hollywood actors, you still slobber all over yourselves while reaching for your wallet to see his next movie. Perhaps Larry the Cable Guy should be a goodwill ambassador. Then you'd be throwing your backs out to grab your cash and throw it at the impoverished and starving. . .

January 18, 2012 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  17. diana

poverty is poverty. social and economic inequality knows no boundary. we have to quit thinking in terms of geographical boundaries. we must think globally. people starving in one country are no more or no less deserving of help.
    throw away your flags and roll up your sleeves.

Nunti Sunya--peace.

January 18, 2012 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  18. Golden God

Not Penn – that's what Kardashian went down there for. Penn should just build himself a mansion there and stay put forever.

January 18, 2012 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  19. Mark

Gee, Sean Penn as ambassador at large to Haiti...now if we could just get them to KEEP him there!

January 18, 2012 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
  20. Alex

As a US citizen, I was fortunate enough to have the chance to volunteer with Project Medishare (http://www.projectmedishare.org/) for almost 400 hours at their field trauma hospital on Port-au-Prince airport grounds, in Feb-Mar 2010, assigned to the internal logistics command tent. The first time I met Sean Penn, he pulled up to the ER (of the field hospital) in a horribly beat up pick-up truck, at roughly 8 at night in torrential rain. Cradled in his arms was a malnourished little Haitian boy who wouldn't stop seizing. He run the child into the hospital, transfers the care to the attending nurse, and takes off in his truck just to return a short time later with another child. ... Well that was close to two years ago, and I'm still in touch with people on site that say he is just as attentive now.

The guy is a HERO for not just doing what he is doing, but for using his celebrity and wealth to push the cause. If you think otherwise, you're either grossly misinformed, ignoring the facts, or just don't care. In any event, stop taking your 'right' to get online and speak freely and using it in non-productive ways...Or you could just try going to Haiti and seeing for yourself...

January 18, 2012 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
  21. scott

Anyone find Sean Penn to be a neauseating arrogant little phony? I do.

January 18, 2012 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Paul

Penn is raising awareness and money for a people devastated by natural disaster. Who cares why he does it, its a good thing to do. Why don't all you righteous lazy ass people just calm down and get off the guys back. He is a gifted actor who is trying to add some meaning to his ultra fortunate life. We should all tip our hats to the man and keep moving forward. Hating him is a waste of energy.

January 18, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Scott

You are one of my favorite people Sean, on a very short list of favorites. Naturally, I think you are, and you have proved, you are a great actor. But your accomplishments as an actor are secondary to what you are doing in Haiti. I have a tremendous amount fo respect for you for using your celebrity to bring attention to a country that has been devasted and needs help and for all your unwavering and tireless efforts made on those peoples behalf. We are the same age almost to the day, and I can tell you I couldn;t be prouder of you.

January 18, 2012 at 7:09 am | Report abuse |
  23. SKY

@ annia -YOU SAID YOUR STEP DAD WAS A MILLIONAIRE, BUT HAS A MODEST HOME, GOOD FOR HIM
    MAYBE HE COULD SHARE WHAT HE HAS TO HELP ONE PERSON KEEP THEIR HOME.
    @wayne micheals-YOU SAID IF THE RICH BAIL OUT THOSE WHO LOSE THEIR HOME, THEY WON'T
    SEEK HELP TO MANAGE THEIR OWN FINANCES RIGHT, LISTEN, OUR GOVERNMENT JUST
    BAILED OUT PEOPLE WHO ARE RICH, WITH COLLEGE DEGREES AND THEY STILL DO NOT
    KNOW HOW TO MANAGE THEIR FINANCES....FACT!
    I KNOW A WOMEN WITH A COLLEGE EDUCATION, SHE JUST FOUND A JOB IN A RESTAURANT
    SHE IS SO PROUD TO HAVE A JOB....MAKING LESS THEN 7.00HRS. AMERICAN SELF-HATER
    THIS IS WHAT MANY HAVE BECOME....HAVE ANY OF YOU RICH PERSONS EVER MET A
    PERSON WHO LOST THEIR HOME? IF THERE WAS A BIG STORM, I DON'T WAIT FOR THE
    GOVERNMENT TO COME IN AND HELP, I HELP MY NEIGHBOR THE BEST I CAN AND AT
    NIGHT I CAN CLOSE MY EYES AND THANK GOD FOR I LOVE MY NEIGHBOR....
    MOST PEOPLE GOT RICH FROM THE MONEY OF THE POOR.
    "WITH MY EYES I WILL SEE YOU AND WITH MY EARS I SHALL LISTEN
    WITH MY HEART I SHALL SPEAK, AND WITH MY BRAIN I SHALL USE
    MY KNOWLEDGE TO HELP YOU"

January 17, 2012 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  24. SKY

FIRST, LETS JUST BREAK IT DOWN AND TELL THE TRUTH:
    MANY PEOPLE IN AMERICA HAD JOBS. I REMEMBER THE HOUSING BOOM, THEY WERE BUILDING MORE HOUSES
    AND SUB-DIVISIONS AND THE MORTGAGES COMPANIES WERE GIVING BUILDERS LOANS.
    PEOPLE HAD JOBS AND COULD PAY THEIR WAY...THEY WANTED BETTER FOR THEMSELVES AND THEIR
    FAMILIES.....I SAW THIS HAPPEN, BUT ALSO I KEPT RECORDS OF ALL THE JOBS BIG COMPANIES WERE
    SENDING OVER SEAS – CHEAP LABOR....I VISITED INDIA AND WAS SHOCK TO SEE LARGE COMPANIES
    OVER THEIR IN SMALL HUTS WITH LOTS OF WORKERS GOING TO WORK EVERY DAY, YES BEING PAID
    LESS WAGES BUT THEY HAD SELF RESPECT CAUSE THEIR COST OF LIVING WAS VERY LOW....
    I BEEN TO SAIPAN MP, WHERE ALL THE CLOTHING STORE (GARMENT FACTORY) WERE SAYING
    MADE IN AMERICAN, THEY HIRED CONTRACT WORKERS FROM THE PHILIPPINES PAYED THEM LESS
    WAGES ...UNTIL SOME BLEW THE HORN..BUSH CLOSED THEM ALL DOWN.
    LEAVING 75% ON FOOD STAMPS – NOT A DEMOCRATIC BUT REP. MAJORITY BACKING.(THEIR HIDDEN BABY!)
    WHEN PEOPLE LOST THEIR JOBS THEY COULD NOT MAKE THEIR MORTGAGE NOTE.
    MANY WERE OUT OF WORK AND WENT TO THE BANKS FOR LOWER MONTHLY PAYMENTS –
    THEY WERE TOLD "NO". AMERICA ALL YOUR JOBS WERE SHIPPED OVER SEAS DO YOU GET IT!
    NOW THESE RICH ACTORS & ACTRESS THINK THEY ARE BEING HUMAN WHEN THEY BUILD A SCHOOLS,
    FEED KIDS, TAKES MONEY TO THE FOREIGN COUNTRY TO ME IS A INSULT TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE.
    YOUR NEIGHBOR IS LIVING IN THE STREET, COULD YOU EMPLOY 10 PEOPLE AND PAY THEM A SALARY?
    NO, EVEN THE BASKETBALL PLAYER AND FOOT BALL PLAYERS WHO MAKES MILLIONS....THE STARS
    WITH THEIR TV PROGRAMS OF THEIR PERSONAL LIFE AS THEY SHOW OFF THEIR LIFE STYLES WHILE
    AMERICAN PEOPLE STARVE OR LIVE IN THE STREET.....NO MORE OK. IN YOUR HOUSE YOU FIRST HELP
    YOUR FAMILY, THEN YOU HELP OTHERS.....THIS IS WHAT LOVE OF NEIGHBOR MEANS.....
    AGAIN IF EVERY RICH PERSON IN AMERICAN REACHED OUT TO ONE HOMELESS PERSON AND GAVE THEM
    A JOB OR HELPED THEM KEEP THEIR HOME WE WOULD NOT BE IN THE MESS WE ARE IN TODAY!
    SO IF YOU ARE RICH AND HAVE NOT DONE NOTHING TO HELP YOUR NEIGHBOR IN AMERICAN
    YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF, AND THIS APPLIES TO ALL THE POLITICIANS.
    WHAT IF EVERY RICH PERSON IN AMERICA SET UP A PLACE TO TAKE CARE OF THE POOR IN
    ALL THE STATES IN AMERICA – THERE WOULD BE NO HUNGRY CHILDREN IN THIS COUNTRY.
    OR HELPED ONE PERSON KEEP THEIR HOME OR GAVE ONE PERSON IN NEED A JOB....
    I STAND BY MY STATEMENT.....I WILL NOT SUPPORT ANY RICH PERSON UNTIL THEY
    PROVE THEY ARE HELPING THEIR OWN IN AMERICA.

January 17, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • AmazingGrace

Caps lock.. unleash the fury!

January 17, 2012 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • fitrie

can you get your dog's ears pierccan you get your dog's ears rcpeiededcan you get your dog's ears piercedcan you get your dog's ears piercedcan you get your dog's ears piercedcan you get your dog's ears piercedcan yocan you get your dog's ears piercedu get your dog's ears piercedcan you get your dog's earscan you get your dog's ears pierced piercedcan you get your dog'scan you get your dog's ears pierced ecan you get your dog's ears piercedars piercedcan you get your dogs ears pie

March 17, 2012 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  25. AmazingGrace

Amazing the hate for a man who physically went and helped these people who were devistated. Unlike most of hollywood that just throws money at it, he physically helped! In my book that's pretty darn amazing in itself. Easy to slam someone on the internet when you're safe behind your computer screen probably in a house that's fixing to be forclosed on because you refused to get off your lazy and large american butt and help yourself (let alone helping others) and complain that hollywood did something selfless for a change and it wasn't in YOUR pocket. There is a difference in American poor and Haiti poor, American poor still has food on the table (even if it's from a food bank) and a roof over their head and hand outs from the government. Get over yourselves and get a clue.

January 17, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Truth hurts

I bet you wish you had one now.

January 17, 2012 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  27. miguel

Yes Sean go to Haiti, we don't need intelligent and caring people around us, we are very happy with our Kardashians and with the Jersey Shore stars!!!

January 17, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  28. friendlydrbobo

Very proud of you Sean. You are a good person with a big heart. Job well done so far, keep up the good work. You and I would definately be friends.

January 17, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Jack

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFNnCQOUXxQ&w=640&h=390]

January 17, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  30. SashaGriffin

What a man! When someone helps mankind, they help heal the entire planet. It doesn't matter where their help is given (this is for "funny", who isn't terribly funny); people are drawn to certain places and that's OK. How boring would it be if all of us only wanted, for example, to help one area, one country, one people, one race, one creed? Dull. While it is true we need help in America, there are those who do help my/our country. Haiti (and similar countries) falls under the radar of most. The fact that Sean Penn felt a desire to continually help in Haiti gives me great peace; he has such a beautiful soul. Peace.

January 17, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Pertnear

Sean Penn an ambassador to Haiti? Haven't those poor people suffered enough?

January 17, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Bob Turner

The government of Haiti can appoint Ambassadors FROM Haiti, but for anyone to be appointed an ambassador from the United States TO Haiti requires an appointment by the American president with the advice and consent of a majority of a quorum of the Senate.

Having noted that technicality, it is nice that Mr. Penn has been helping collect humanitarian assistance for Haiti.

January 17, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  33. funny

Funny they can help other countries but our country has probelms and it seems the celebs wanna ignore them, no wonder America is in so much trouble.

January 17, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  34. danny

I wonder how much money Sean Penn made off of those contributions to charity, I would bet he did not contribute anything, but I would like to know how much he was paid for his appearances.

January 17, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

you MUST get back on your meds, sir. Your mind is a terrible thing.

January 18, 2012 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  35. Sean

>country's Minister of Foreign and Religious Affairs

Just one of the many reason the place isn’t worth saving.

January 17, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • ema

The Minister of Foreign and Religious Affairs is what we, in Haiti, call our Secretary of State. Laurent Lamothe is our equivalent of Hillary Clinton now,or in the past Condie Rice, Gen. Colin Powell.... etc etc...
      YOU may not think Haiti is worth saving, for any of thousands of reasons that make us unappealing to many.
      There is nothing wrong with that, and it's certainly your prerogative to feel that way....
      However at least back up your statement with arguments that make some kind of sense.
      That way you can just sound insensitive, without portraying yourself as insensitive and dumb.

January 17, 2012 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Pop

I rather watch the kardashians because they are the only thing that matters in america

January 17, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Carm

Great actor. It's good that he's doing something with his time & money.

January 17, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  38. D.Smithee

I'll say this for Penn–he sticks to his guns and actually works at helping people. That makes him alright in my book.

January 17, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • soozze

I agree with all who support Sean's efforts. Now the Haitian women need garden hoes and live in groups of 4. The hoes are needed to rebuild the nation, ( mix mortar) till the crops and defend against the thugs. Land trusts are required to make space for new homes. The central government could take space by eminent domain that claim jumpers could not steal. S.

January 17, 2012 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Seriuoslybud

Not a big fan of Sean Penn or some of the things he insinuates about America or Americans, but you can't hate on him for helping other people. The man has a vastly different outlook on Democracy than I do, but if he can actually be helpful in bringing the nation of Haiti up from the devastation it has suffered through, good for him!!

January 17, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  40. PamE

It's good that Sean Penn is there and that he draws attention to the plight of the people, although I have to wonder – Kim Kardashian? Is she seriously trying to get her name into every section of news possible? When I looked at the room of true 'celebrities' at the Golden Globes on Sunday – Steven Spielberg, George Clooney, Leonardo DiCaprio, Martin Scorcese and Sidney Poitier amongst them, that is what I call TRUE celebrities, not these wanna-be types like Kardashian whose greatest claim to fame is a 72 day marriage and a truly awful reality show!
    I think it is wonderful that Penn, Clooney, Pitt and such are putting their own time and money into world situations and really doing their part at giving back – but I have no respect for the likes of Kardashian as, imho, she is doing it to be seen.

January 17, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nobama2012

She was down there looking for a new man.

January 17, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Walk of Shame

Kim left the island as soon as she realized there were no limos, salons and 5 star spa hotels...

January 18, 2012 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
  41. C

Why do people even give this idiot the time of day?

January 17, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  42. TWM

Sean Penn, is good at asking others to doante. I want to see his actual contributions. Here is another example of the arrogant Movie Celebrity who does not practice what he preaches. This pretender hides most of his income over seas to avoid the very taxes he feels we all should be paying. Mr. Penn, please make Haiti your permanent residence!!!

January 17, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • TiredofStupidComments

Learn to spell and not write about what you (obviously) have no idea about. What makes you think he hides his money and why is it any of your business if he does? What do YOU do to help the world heal? Please share your insight.

Why do people write negative and clueless comments instead of appreciating the good someone does? Does it make you feel better about yourself to disqualify what others do?? Mr. Penn has been in Haiti almost non-stop since the disaster occurred.

You hurt with words; Sean helps with selfless acts. Get the picture?

January 17, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • truth hurts

As he's spent most of the last two years in Haiti, I'd say he's done plenty of actual work in addition to maintaining visibilty to a humanitarian crisis

January 17, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  43. b reinard

OMG what is wrong with you small minded people. Sean does good works for the poor and you call him a marxist!! He is one of the best actors in the world deal with it. If God walked the earth today he would embrace Sean for his good heart. God bless you Sean.

January 17, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  44. mary

Wow, is the Marquee site for mostly slow learners? Only a few people make any intelligent comments. Its funny because I never see any one who regularly posts on this site ever go to the more relevant sites CNN has. I don't think they can comprehend or appreciate actual news. I'm sure they just wouldn't be able to understand the articles and would or should be humilated with their tacky, childlike comments.MARY

January 17, 2012 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
    • jo

yes.. slow learners... who actually make a comment about the article and have figured out how NOT to double post.

January 17, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  45. mary

January 17, 2012 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  46. Ed Fredriksen

It is apparently difficult for the self-identified Christians to find the strength of their convictions."Whatsoever you do fo the least of My children you do also for Me."Hypocrites enjoy their own special preserve in the devil's domain:re-read your Bibles,folks.

January 17, 2012 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
    • scott

What exactly does your comment have to d with Sean Penn? I'm sure he is an athiest. I'm quite sure he is a communist.
      What kind of value should we place on him doing volunteer work in other countries because he is a hollywood actor?

January 17, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  47. keith Durante

You have used your "talents" to further the example of Love and Compassion; I am so proud to watch your journey to help humanity. Thank you for – "Love One Another"

January 17, 2012 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  48. gricha

Seanpennissofunkyhemustbeajunkydadada

January 17, 2012 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  49. Louie

Over a billion dollars went to Haiti and no one knows where it is. The people still live in tents.

January 17, 2012 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  50. oak

not impressed. Once everyone in hollywood realized this guy couldn't act he had to find something else to do. Even madona dumped you.

January 17, 2012 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  51. 99%

sean, you are a marxist. Get out of our country and go live some place else please. Or we may come occupy your front lawn soon.

January 17, 2012 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  52. paul

When you line the pockets of local officials in any of these banana republics, all of kinds of honors follow. It is my sincere hope that Penn goes to live in Haiti in order to assure that all this money he is raising is actually being spent the proper way.

January 17, 2012 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  53. Wayne Micheals

@Sky a lot of our Americans have only ourselves to blame for house foreclosures,and if someone bails them out of their messes most of them won't seek help to learn how to manage their own finances so they'll probably get back into the same situations.I understand why rich celebrities go over seas to help people to rebuild their countries,adopt orphaned children,build schools and start businesses.

January 17, 2012 at 3:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Reggie from LA

Uhm, you know it's very interesting how many folks are in denial that a lot of these "too-good-to-be-true" mortgages were not just eye candy, but a rotten conspiracy to seduce folks into sorry, money-making loans. Yes, in retrospect we all look back and point our fingers at people that should have known better, but there were minds and money at work to make these dreadful mortgages happen. Everyone who thinks this way should do some reading...you know, like of yoiur own.

January 17, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • danny

Celebs usually go overseas to help because they get paid – tax free, and it is free advertisment.

January 17, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  54. SKY

FACT; IF ALL THE RICH ACTORS & ACTRESSES TOOK A INTEREST IN THE PEOPLE WHO LOST THEIR
    HOMES IN THE U.S.A. THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN LESS FORCLOSURES....BUT INSTEAD THEY
    RATHER GO TO ANOTHER COUNTRY WHERE THE PEOPLE ARE IN NEED.
    WHAT WOULD AMERICAN BE LIKE IF EVERY RICH PERSON
    HELPED ONE PERSON KEEP THEIR HOME...AND NOT BLOW A HORN ....
    UNTIL WE LEARN THE BASIC LAW OF LOVE, TO LOVE THY NEIGHBOR....WE WILL
    CONTINUE TO FACE PROBLEMS.....

January 17, 2012 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
    • geezo123

Sean Penn hates the USA and it's policies so I think he should just give up his citizenship and reside permenantly in Haiti.

January 17, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • jujubeans

People in foreclosure don't deserve help, they brought it on themselves (for the most part). And ease up on the CAPS LOCK!

January 17, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Annia

@Sky. I don't mean to be rude, but SOME people that are facing forclosures are pretty much in over their heads when they are buying houses. Why big houses for just 2 or 3 people living in the house. Didn't they think about property tax, insurance & costs of upkeeping the house? My step-dad, who is a millionaire, but he doesn't live like one. He lives in a three bedroom home that he designed & built for himself & drives a used car. He owns 7 rental homes & 475 acres pasture land & invest most of his money. He sets a good example for me about managing money as well. So when I was able to buy a house of my own, I bought a 1200 Sq.ft home, with 2 bedroom and a den that turned into a studio apartment for my brother, who, btw, bad at managing his money, hence, he's renting from me. My house payment is less than 400 a month & I manage to send in an extra 100 toward the principle. My point is, one should NEVER buy anything more than one can afford.

January 17, 2012 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Truth hurts

So in your opinion someone in the USA who has a little financial difficulty is the same as someone in Haiti which was already one of the poorest countries in the world before it was devastated by an earthquake. These people have nothing – no home, little food, no work, no schools, etc

January 17, 2012 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • CHUCK

Problem is, in the USA, I've seen soooo many people who have overspent, paid no mind to the fact they are getting in debt up to their hairline, and yet, they believe some "rich person" shoulod come along and fix it for them! Crazy! Live within your means, have 5 months salary saved up in case you lose your job or have some disaster, and don't buy more house than you can afford, then charge up 100K in furniture to sit on when you can't pay for it. Good grief! Not someone else's problem. At the same time, these people in Haiti are desperately poor, have suffered earthquake, floods, and misery not of their doing, and they truly need help. When those things happen here, we need to step up and help, also. Not because some bozo bought a 250K house, 40k furniture and a new car, but couldn't pay for it! Shame on him.....

January 18, 2012 at 3:58 am | Report abuse |
    • michael

he hates the usa and all the policies EXCEPT for the policies that allow him to open his fat mouth and talk down his own country AND the policies that allow him to keep his millions he's made (not earned). communists only like communism for others, not themselves. penn you are a dick!

January 18, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Nyarlathotep

Anything that keeps Sean "el chavista grande" Penn out of the movies and off the continent is aces with me.

January 16, 2012 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • michael

why are you jealous or just your typical conservative blow hard loud mouth

January 17, 2012 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Regine T

God bless you and protects you always.In my eyes, you have been a world ambassor always. Kind people like you are rareto find. I will join a philantropic venture this year. Giving back is contagious. I want to make a difference in the world. Watching you really inspired me... God is with you always

January 16, 2012 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • GG

Do you really think Sean Penn is a Christian and cares about your prayers. He's a comunist – most of them are athiests.

January 18, 2012 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
    • comeon

GG – How do you expect people to take you seriously with you claim that he is a communist when you cant even spell it correctly?

January 18, 2012 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  57. JanE

Bravo Sean Penn, the world needs more actors to become involved with world events than the recent Hollywood gossip!
    Compassion for others drives world peace!

January 16, 2012 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julie B.

There's NOTHING companionate about Penn – it's an ego trip that he uses to spread Chavenizm, the utopian and false Venezuelan form of socialism that he embraced years ago. I'm glad people are being helped but most of all he's helping himself and his henchman Hugo Chavez.

January 18, 2012 at 6:35 am | Report abuse |
    • michael

perfectly stated Julie. he is a disgusting self-serving limosine-liberal.

January 18, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  58. ITS NOT THAT SERIOUS

GET PSYCHOLOGICAL HELP OR MAYBE JUST ADMIT YOUR SORRY HIND ENDS FOR GOOD BECAUSE I WOULDNT WANT MY PET SEEING OR HEARING INDIVIDUALS SUCH AS YOURSELFS

January 16, 2012 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tee Timbow

Please, remember to take your medication before logging in.

January 17, 2012 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Playjojo

I have to agree with you. What are these sorry "People" doing on their end do you suppose? The problem lies with OUR politicians who would rather line their own pockets, or throw our money out to others who want/need it (Not us of course) or just blowing it totally inane projects, not where the money is obviously needed. So don't go WHINING at these people who are trying to live, and the people who have the stones to try and help them. (You all obviously don't, them or us)

January 18, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  59. Johnmc

Give him a resident visa and maybe he'll stay there

January 16, 2012 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • RUTH

I agree ,that should be his new home and him and chavez can help the haitians!

January 17, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  60. bojello

Surely most celebrities can shell out more money to help??

January 16, 2012 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Tony

He is the right man for the job. He should live there.

January 16, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • american

How about raising millions of dollars for the people on the USA?

January 17, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gop

I agree with you. he needs to stay there and don't ever come back.

January 18, 2012 at 5:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Agreed! And it would be really nice if hs passport was stolen while he was living there too.

January 18, 2012 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
    • rad666

"Assador at large to Haiti' -– That is a fitting appointment.

January 18, 2012 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Michael

I oathe sean penn. hopefully he catches that nasty strain of coleha that's going around down there. how fitting for someone with diarrhea of the mouth like he so frequently has. Also, he's be a shorter flight away from his buddy hugo...

January 18, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mutsumi

Hi Rich,Are you able to elaborate at all?We don't tpclyaliy reply to individual abuse requests but that's not to say we don't try and take preventative measures. Our outbound mail also passes through Cisco Ironport anti-spam appliances (although the filtering mechanisms in place aren't as aggressive as we could make them).Best regards,Bob PullenPlusnet Digital Care

March 17, 2012 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |