Replay: Morgan Freeman takes a bath in a casket
January 16th, 2012

Replay: Morgan Freeman takes a bath in a casket

It doesn't get much more elegant than Sidney Poitier and Helen Mirren presenting Morgan Freeman with a Golden Globes honor, but whomever crafted the highlight reel of Freeman's career included an ingenious little clip to remind us of the actor's beginnings.

Freeman, 74, was this year's esteemed recipient of the Cecil B. DeMille award. As Dame Mirren introduced his varied body of work, which includes everything from playing a president ("Deep Impact") to playing Nelson Mandela ("Invictus") to playing God ("Bruce Almighty"), viewers were treated to the sight of a younger Freeman taking a bath in a casket as a vampire on the '70s kids show "The Electric Company."

Some of you may be old enough to remember Freeman's gig on the series, in which he played Count Dracula, among other credits. Although the clip is a little grainy, Freeman's voice is unmistakeable as he sings of the wonders of a casket bubble bath - obviously teaching youngsters about the letter "c."

Watching his career unfold via that series of snippets on Sunday, Freeman didn't comment on the "Electric Company" clip, but he did remark that he'd realized two things: How many actors he's worked with who he truly admires, and how much fun he's had.

"It’s been said that if you do what you love, you’ll never have to work a day in your life," Freeman told the audience. "So for the past 45 years or so, I’ve never had to work. My passion has always been acting."

Even when he's portraying a vampire who enjoys a good soak in his casket.

Filed under: Awards Season • Celebrities • Golden Globes

1. don't clik here

I think that is one of the so much vital info for me. And i'm satisfied reading your article. However should remark on some basic issues, The web site taste is great, the articles is in point of fact excellent : D. Excellent activity, cheers

September 10, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Turk Gay Boys Live

We're a group of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community. Your site offered us with helpful info to paintings on. You have done an impressive process and our entire neighborhood shall be thankful to you.

May 11, 2012 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  3. Hendryanzah

pfiuuuu pot sa rulfasu usurat. numa' sa nu intrii in politica in rest putem accepta orice de la tine :)politica e buna doar atunci cand o putem critica, la mod general vorbind; iar de criticat poti s-o critici numai cand esti inafara ei. esti cu adevarat un om liber cand nu esti legat de o doctrina si ai propriile idei, nu cateva idei de grup (care de cele mai multe ori se dovedesc a fi si foarte inguste)

February 13, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. augustghost

Morgan is awesome..such a great voice,,,watch him on the science channel

January 18, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Dort

I remember him as "Easy Reader". He was so cool in his denim bell bottoms and shades.

January 17, 2012 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  6. avissugar

Congratulations to Mr. Freeman. All I can say is when my son was a little boy, I didn't have to beg him to watch Electric Company he loved that show so much. I always tease him and tell him that Morgan Freeman taught him how to read. And he did it well. He is a grown man now with children of his own, and my son still loves to read. So thank you Mr. Freeman for you input into Electric Company.

January 17, 2012 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  7. George Jetson

Morgan Freeman is a talented performer and a great individual. Everyone should watch Through the Wormhole - often.

January 17, 2012 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  8. Charlotte Lady

Absolutely love Morgan Freeman... has to be the best of the best... CONGRATS on a well deserved award, Sir!

January 17, 2012 at 5:29 am | Report abuse |
  9. Rana Lwson

I love my freedom of speech,thank you Dr. King for your sacrifice.I try not to take it for granted.

January 17, 2012 at 3:29 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jane

Well , do you wanna have more friends?Browse http://www.seniorssingledating.com/. Unlike other sites, SeniorsSingleDating assists you to connect with millions of senior singles for friendship, dating, serious relationship, activity partner and more.

January 17, 2012 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
  11. Rachel

I LOVE Morgan Freeman and always have. He is a brilliant actor and a sweet human being. I've always wanted to meet him but never had the opportunity while I was in Hollywood. Adore the man AND his acting.

January 17, 2012 at 2:53 am | Report abuse |
  12. Dee

Correction***I stopped wa it after those 3 watching it after those 3 were no longer on.

Dayum edit button

January 17, 2012 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
  13. Dee

I remember how shocked I was to see him in something other than "Electric Company". I know watching after Morgan, Hattie Winston and Rita Moreno were no longer on there regularly

January 17, 2012 at 2:18 am | Report abuse |
  14. PensacolaPet

"but whomever crafted the highlight reel" Who edits this crap?

January 16, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bloganista

The editors are correct. "Whomever" is the correct choice, strictly speaking. However, most people are probably used to seeing "whoever" instead. I've been told that newspapers and other media outlets now write articles at a sixth grade reading comprehension level.

January 16, 2012 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Holy Frijoles

I'm with PensacolaPet. I think it's supposed to be "whoever," as it's the subject of the phrase, not the object. Back to the topic, I consumed so much Electric Company as a kid. And Morgan Freeman was my favorite on the show (next was Rita Moreno), especially the silhouette back-and-forth.

January 16, 2012 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Kerry

That was the funniest highlight/moment of the show.

January 16, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  16. TallBlondes

I doubt he'll be reading this, but I truly hope Mr. Freeman never feels negative about his time on The Electric Company. It was an awesome show and he was awesome in it. Sure, it didn't showcase his amazing dramatic talent. So what! It must have been fun and shows his versatility.

January 16, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  17. LisaB

I used to watch Electric Company religiously when I was a kid. Mr Freeman taught me how to spell! I was devastated when I saw a biography on him and he said that his time on Electric Company was probably his worst. Hopefully he knows that it wasn't all that bad. Like I said, he taught me how to spell. Congrats to Mr. Freeman, he deserves the award.

January 16, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  18. GaPeach

Hey Marlon.....go make your comments on another site. This is a entertainment site and youa re not entertaining anyone.

January 16, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  19. RO

Love Morgan Freeman. I have seen so many of his movies.

January 16, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  20. @marlon

Go to he!!, you ignorant biotch. Well said @@marlon.

January 16, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  21. @Marlon

This is an entertainment blog, not a political one. I think you have your facts wrong, though. The Republican party caters only to the rich. They are the ones that love to cut aid to schools, don't care if you are going bankrupt, or your home is in foreclosure. They don't care that you can't afford health care. They don't care if your kid can get help with college or not. They don't care that there are no jobs that you can actually support a family on. They really don't care about any minorities in this country. The only path to prosperity does not include the middle class. So, put that in your republican pipe & smoke it!

January 16, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • JamesT

Here's the breakdown: Democrats argue about how to spend the money, while Republicans argue how to earn it.

January 16, 2012 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • JUGGERNAUT

@JamesT

earn it?? please....

Bush was a C student, but he still manage to get into harvard and become a president...why??? because his family is rich and well connected.

just like Bush most of the "blue bloods" are now lazy and just rely on their family name and fortune to get ahead. Many ivy league schools accept student base on "LEGACY" and many of those legacy academic works are weak, but because daddy;s is rich they get ahead.

January 17, 2012 at 4:01 am | Report abuse |
  22. Marlon Padilla

Democrats have been running our inner-cities for the past 30 to 40 years, and blacks are still complaining about the same problems. More than $7 trillion dollars have been spent on poverty programs since Lyndon Johnson's War on Poverty with little, if any, impact on poverty. Diabolically, every election cycle, Democrats blame Republicans for the deplorable conditions in the inner-cities, then incite blacks to cast a protest vote against Republicans.

In order to break the Democrats' stranglehold on the black vote and free black Americans from the Democrat Party's economic plantation, we must shed the light of truth on the Democrats. We must demonstrate that the Democrat Party policies of socialism and dependency on government handouts offer the pathway to poverty, while Republican Party principles of hard work, personal responsibility, getting a good education and ownership of homes and small businesses offer the pathway to prosperity.

January 16, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

i take it you have a job for people..an i,ll bet you are some kind of rich snob who looks down on those less fortunate..so my answer to you is...f-you....you are ignorant of the facts an deseve no other comment

January 16, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • it is sad

So were you born with your mental deficancy or did you have brain trama later in life?

January 16, 2012 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brain

Can't white folks just forget about a race for a day???? Please!!!!! We get it you're right about everything, now let it go.

January 16, 2012 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Skegeeace

Did you get lost? This article is about Morgan Freeman. You're looking for kkk.com, not cnn.com. Loser.

January 17, 2012 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
    • JUGGERNAUT

and i bet you are the same type of people that accuse blacks of using "the race card", when you bring up race everything single waking moment.

i think kkk members like yourself use the race card more than even Al Sharpton.

January 17, 2012 at 3:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Franny

@Marlon, You're kidding, right? Ridiculous post, and remarks in my opinion. Why are so many Republicans, and Tea Party Members so blind to truth? Why is it that they NEVER take any responsibility for any of the problems that they create? If you lived in Texas Mr. Marlon, you just might change your mind about these so called fiscally responsible yahoos you worship.

January 17, 2012 at 6:02 am | Report abuse |
    • humtake

It looks like someone has a hard time turning off his politics switch. Why do people feel the need to bring politics into everything? There's a time and place for it, and that's whenever a bunch of rich people are in a room together. Otherwise, keep politics to political articles.

January 17, 2012 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  23. @lol

U still won't be able to fit lard a55. fatty fatty 2 x 4

January 16, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Sokman

I liked Samuel Jackson as Mr Green Jeans better

January 16, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  25. lol

U can stretch out and relax in that. Room for two even !

January 16, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leaveitalone

@Richard Fore perhaps spell check is a good idea when criticizing others. @Richard Fore = fail.

January 17, 2012 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Guest

Room for two eh?
      That would be him and his granddaughter-girlfriend

Dont believe me,google it