Peter Dinklage raises awareness for injured actor
January 16th, 2012

Peter Dinklage raises awareness for injured actor

Peter Dinklage's work on HBO's acclaimed "Game of Thrones" earned him a Golden Globe for best supporting actor in a TV series on Sunday, and the 42-year-old used the spotlight to raise awareness for a fellow thespian who's been injured in a random attack.

"I want to mention a gentleman I'm thinking about in England," Dinklage said at the end of his acceptance speech. "His name is Martin Henderson. Google him."

If you do, you'll find that Martin Henderson is a 37-year-old aspiring actor who was the victim of an October attack in which he was picked up and then thrown to the ground, the BBC reports.

Henderson, who is a dwarf, was celebrating his 37th birthday on October 7 when an assailant picked him up and dropped him from a height of about three feet outside of a pub in the U.K.

As a result of the attack, Henderson suffered damage to nerve tissue in his spine, and has since experienced numbness and a lack of strength in his back and legs, making walking difficult.

According to the Telegraph, doctors have told Henderson that he'll need a wheelchair for longer distances.

Henderson has said that he thinks the incident was inspired by a dwarf-throwing contest that players from England's rugby team attended at a bar in New Zealand over the summer.

"With the rugby one, the dwarf-throwing...the guy might have thought, let's try it out on him," Henderson told the BBC.

He added to the Daily Mail, "Every time I stand up I don't know if I'm going to fall over. I will have to use a wheelchair and I won't get any acting jobs...I guess I was an easy target and the only reason I was picked on was because I am small."

Filed under: Awards Season • Golden Globes

1. North Face Cyber Monday

ray ban cyber monday sale
    North Face Cyber Monday http://www.ceulaj.com/

November 27, 2013 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Attention Required....

that condo was worth 255, 255.0

February 7, 2013 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  3. Attention Requred

how's our 255 grammy winnter...

February 7, 2013 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  4. red bottom shoes

With today's print-on-demand engineering, a picture regarding bills and additionally advantages regarding self-posting provides a lot changed, that make it practical for a great deal more online marketers to write down his or her will work to make hard earned cash. But, for virtually any book publication challenge, the retail price did not gotten to help absolutely no. This is how I have a number of moments received more than enough hard earned cash beforehand to hide a lot of our self-posting charges. red bottom shoes http://redbottomshoeslouboutin.webs.com

February 7, 2013 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  5. scared afraid alone

ridiculous

December 28, 2012 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. air jordan 10

Glimpse here, and you’ll definitely discover it.
    air jordan 10 http://airjordan101.webnode.com/

December 28, 2012 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  7. North Face Kids Down Jakcets Kids

You have some really good articles and I think I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d really like to write some material for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please shoot me an e-mail if interested. Thank you!
    North Face Kids Down Jakcets Kids http://www.northfacejacketsoutletonsale.com/north-face-kids-down-jakcets-kids-c-890.html?zenid=ba4ab1394290a7147e75025302d60636

November 25, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. water softener problems

I have learn several just right stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how much effort you place to create this sort of magnificent informative web site.

April 8, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Foectjoann

get imitation louis vuitton handbags at my estore

February 3, 2012 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  10. @back

Okay freak jobs?

January 17, 2012 at 3:45 am | Report abuse |
  11. @back

@O1-16-12 5:32pm,I sometimes comment on wyww why do you call us wake jobs.lol

January 17, 2012 at 3:43 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jane

Great! Join http://www.seniorssingledating.com/. I'm sure you can make more friends on it. Unlike other sites, SeniorsSingleDating assists you to connect with millions of senior singles for friendship, dating, serious relationship, activity partner and more.

January 17, 2012 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  13. @Todd @Shawn

Wow is always like that. Quick to snap at anything said. I guess we should feel sorry for the people that have to live with her/him. I think it's a woman. Another wyww freak job.

January 16, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  14. potvin

Too bad the guy didn't drop him on Obama, at least then he would have done some good.

January 16, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Inglourious

It is rather bizarre that you think your comment is funny and appropriate for an article about someone's injury.

January 16, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  15. cindy

Love this guy, great actor, and handsome! Hope Mr. Henderson makes a full recovery.

January 16, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  16. MrsFizzy

This is awful and all the best to Martin Henderson. But ...you have to consider that drunks in England spilling out of the pubs do all kinds of stupid and violent things to themselves and to innocent people just minding their own business. This case gets more attention because the victim is a little person but otherwise you hear plenty of stories of people being assaulted in one way or another and sometimes fatally for no reason. But "dwarf throwing" definitely doesn't help either!

January 16, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Father of a LP

As the father of a 12 year old daughter with achondroplasia (a form of dwarfism), I am excited whenever I see dwarfism shed in a positive light. I greatly admire Peter Dinklage, The Roloff family (Little People, Big World) and Warwick Davis (google him). I am saddened to learn of what happened to Martin Henderson. People need to understand that a person with dwarfism is a person, not a fictional character, not someone to laugh it or point to or whisper about to your friend. Dwarfism is a medical condition..often requiring a lifetime of surgical procedures. Check out http://www.lpaonline.org for more information on dwarfism.

January 16, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Curious

How are those people from Little People Big World positive?? Weren't they just awful, drunk driving jerks? At least that's how they came off.

January 16, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Billy Mac

call me elf one more time.........

January 16, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Cammile Toh

I went to school with Peter and he was one of the building blocks of our theater. We affectionatly called him Dinky.

January 16, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • sockpuppet

I'm sure as a little person, he loved that (sarcasm). He probably went along with it because he had to. Wow a play on his name making fun of his stature. How original. Did you ever notice that in most of his movies he plays the sort of scornful little person who doesn't appreciate the BS? Yeah, there's a reason for that.

January 16, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Camille Toh

In reply to Sockpuppets dimwitted reply: A play on his name making fun of his stature? No, I think not. We called him that because he had a little johnson, i.e. penis, handlow, meat pole, shaft, sword etc...etc...

January 16, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Sokman

My favorite dwarf was always Gary Coleman. What'cho talkin 'bout New Zealand

January 16, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  21. barbie

I love this actor...saw him in the Station Agent and he was the most normal character, levelheaded, warm, insightful. I see him whenever he's in something.

January 16, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  22. dalis

Hey, CNN! It's rather unfortunate in a story about an actor using his acceptance speech to bring awareness to a crime, specifically one where a man was victimized because of his short stature, that you would write "Henderson, who is a dwarf". No, Henderson is a man...with dwarfism. Humanization starts at home, guys.

January 16, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • rico

agreed. if he was a man of color, it would be the same as point that out. if anything, for the purposes of the story, would be to describe him as a "little person."

January 16, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  23. humtake

This guy is a total class act. He is a great actor. Congrats to him!

January 16, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Todd Balstrom

Finally, a dwarf we can look up to.

January 16, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  25. fretlessbass

What a horrible story! Hope that perp gets what he deserves... sounds like a complete bonehead.

January 16, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  26. rick1948

What a stupid thing to do. My wife is not a dwarf, but it certainly small and light enough for some drunkard to lift up and drop. If it ever happened, that person had better be able to run faster than a 45 round.

January 16, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  27. jujubeans

What's a peter dinklage? I think I'd like to try it.

January 16, 2012 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  28. JJ

I liked his acceptance speech, although it was a little short.

January 16, 2012 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  29. @alecia troll

you suck. why don't you lay off! you are not funny in the least.

January 16, 2012 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  30. Deb

Peter Dinklage is a good and decent man....kudos for bringing attention to his friend. That being said, I am thrilled to see Dinklage win this award. He is a brilliant actor, one I have followed ever since I discovered him in The Station Agent (Google it.....wonderful movie). Congrats....love this guy.

January 16, 2012 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Ancient Curse

Agreed! "Station Agent" is a fantastic movie, and I was immediately enthralled thanks in large part to Dinklage's acting abilities. The television adaptation of "Game of Thrones" owes a lot to him.

January 16, 2012 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Anomic Office Drone

I loved The Station Agent.

January 16, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leaf on the Wind

Agreed. "The Station Agent" changed the way I see "small people" and made me a fan of Peter Dinklage. It doesn't hurt that he's done an outstanding job of playing my favorite character in George R.R. Martin's fantasy epic. Shame on the man who thought it was okay to "toss the dwarf."

January 16, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Playjojo

That's where I first saw him. Excellent actor, and gorgeous to boot!

January 16, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Girl from Philly

He was great in 'The Station Agent'! Just one of the many movies that make me love those quiet, strong independent films. I congratulate him on this win, and my thoughts are with his friend.

January 16, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  31. @Alecia

Good for u that u get to hide behind ur computer, that cld be u. Yea I am tough enuff to lift ur big azz. Wouldnt ever go after a woman but ur not a real woman. Keep it up biotch.

January 16, 2012 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |