January 15th, 2012

Ricky Gervais: Slightly kinder, just as funny

Ricky Gervais, beer in hand, opened the 69th annual Golden Globe awards with his typical style of humor, but this time he fired at the more easy targets, like Kim Kardashian.

"So, where was I?" Gervais said as he took the stage, assuring the anxious-looking audience not to worry. "Nervous? Don’t be. This isn’t about you."

He continued, "The Golden Globes are just like the Oscars, but without all that esteem. The Golden Globes are to the Oscars what Kim Kardashian is to Kate Middleton....A bit louder, a bit trashier, a bit drunker. And more easily bought. Allegedly, nothing’s been proved."

"Who needs the Oscars?" he went on. "Not me, and not Eddie Murphy. He said no, and good for him. But when the man who said yes to 'Norbit' says no to you, you’re in trouble."

Oh, and "a bit of trivia: Eddie Murphy and Adam Sandler between them played all the parts in the movie 'The Help.'" (If you looked out in the audience at that moment, you could see "Help" stars Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer were none too impressed with that wisecrack.)

And then Gervais broke down the rules he'd been handed by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association: no profanity (which is fine, since he's got a "big vocabulary"); no nudity (a shame, since he has a big vocabulary....and a "tiny penis," but hey, it works, he assured the audience); no libel; and no mentioning of Mel Gibson.

"Especially not Jodie Foster’s 'Beaver,'" Gervais said. "I haven’t seen it myself. I’ve spoken with a lot of guys here, they haven’t seen it either, but that doesn’t mean it’s not any good."

And with a few more cracks about Justin Bieber's paternity lawsuit controversy, another about Kim Kardashian's 72-day marriage (again, an easy target), and one that landed against the HFPA, Gervais handed off the mic to the first presenter, Johnny Depp.

So far, we have four winners: Christopher Plummer nabbed best supporting actor for his work in "Beginners"; Laura Dern won best actress in a TV musical or comedy for "Enlightened"; "Downton Abbey" won the best TV mini-series or movie Golden Globe; and Kate Winslet won best actress in a TV mini-series or movie for "Mildred Pierce."

What did you think of Gervais' opening monologue?

Filed under: Awards Season • Golden Globes

1. Mortenl Gamachel

Thanks for your publication on the travel industry. I will also like contribute that if you are one senior contemplating traveling, it really is absolutely important to buy travel cover for elderly people. When traveling, elderly people are at greatest risk being in need of a healthcare emergency. Getting the right insurance coverage package for your age group can protect your health and give you peace of mind.

July 8, 2012 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  2. sockpuppet

These trolls be annoying. Just cuz I like to pump my buddies plump rump with my little stump, it doesn't make me a chump! I luv them big ol meaty jig-a-boo sausages!! See ya fools!

January 16, 2012 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  3. GaPeach

I hope th network lefts up on him and turns him loose next year! He is still funny but could be funnier!

January 16, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. citizenUSA

At least it wasn't as ridiculous as the thing Adam Sandler did after receiving his People's Choice award.

January 16, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  5. NOT MY CHAIR

i didnt even know the golden globes were on... its a shame gervais is great!

January 16, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • sockpuppet

you didn't miss anything–he sucked this year. Lame jokes about Kim Kardashian and Justin Bieber.

January 16, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Phil

@sockpuppet- why don't you take your trolling to wyww blog where the rest of the losers are

January 16, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • sockpuppet

some idiot troll likes to change his name to whomever he is harassing–it's not me.

January 16, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. snow white

Not really pleased with the show. RG didn't do the damage that all Hollywood was prepared for. He was way too easy on them. I found it rather boring after a while and this was only re-confirmed after Madonna trotted on stage and tried to steal the show. What a drag waste of air time, and to have to watch her face lean to the left and lips lean to right was disturbing. I found the presenters a little too stiff for the evening, and a true disappointment that Brad Pitt didn't win.

January 16, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Carol

There is a fine line between adult humor and trashy humor. His humor is funny sometimes, but bathroom humor is not classy or appropriate for this kind of Award night. Looking at some of the faces as the camera played around the ballroom at the Beverly Hilton, they weren't smiling. I turned him off after Biebers big laugh for himself, and turned it back on to listen to the classy people following him. Fortunately he stayed down for the rest of the great presentation.

January 16, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mike S

Not anything like as good as last year...what happened to freedom of speech in this country...get over worrying about hurting these pompous ass celebrities/alleged stars....make them squirm...they do deserve it. Turn Ricky loose next time and no rules if you want some real laughs !!!!

January 16, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. mrb

people wonder why we have drug addicts, teen pregnancy, suicide, rape...take a look at who is influencing our children? I do not allow my children to watch or listen to that kind of music or TV or movies but some parents do. The music glorifys being a possession to a man, allowing a man to speak to you and treat you like a wh*re, and women rap about men like they are objects. "stars" glorify drinking and drugs and then when they are caught they pay no consequence? how does that show our children to behave? I know parents are responsbile for raising their children but you and I both know children are impressionable and will emulate what they see and how much fun it looks like. I am disgusted by what is allowed on the radio and television.

January 16, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. OfReason

Don't know why he accepted the gig with such a clear gag order in place. He's way too good for the like of the foreign press

January 16, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Anfscd

I think this guy is overrated.

January 16, 2012 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  13. jayjay

lame jokes, lot of background noise, long walks to the stage punctuated by weird music,too many long thank yous and really unfunny moments–but hey these are entertainers not big thinkers who repeat words others write and act as others dictate-so what more can we expect?

January 16, 2012 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
    • pedro

I thin the 'weird' music was usually the theme from the movie/show the awardee was being awarded for. In some cases the music was less than celebratory, but you can understand why they would play the soundtrack from the applicable show, right?

January 16, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jeff

Funny? No. Irritating? Yes! The guy's a big comedy ZERO. Getting stung by bees is more entertaining than seeing/listening to this colossal buffoon.

January 16, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  15. Sonya

Tota;;y awasome!!! The best "real" joke was about Kim K,.

January 16, 2012 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  16. citizenUSA

Ricky is a funny guy. The GG's have never been so good. He's the Don Rickles of England. I hate that he had to "tone" himself down. He can take as good as he gives too.

January 16, 2012 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  17. Ron

Yo,
    LETFREEDOMRING2, I agrees with you.

January 16, 2012 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  18. LETFREEDOMRING2

No wonder out enemies think we are a society of disgusting hedonistic fools. We show that side of our character by allowing people like Ricky run the show up front.

Bob Hope and Johnny Carson we miss you terribly.

January 16, 2012 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
    • moses

your sense of humor is pittiful – bet you didn't like Don Rickles either .... don't take it so seriously

January 16, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • citizenUSA

I miss Hope and Carson too but they only did The Oscars.

January 16, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  19. LETFREEDOMRING2

The young people watching the clown Gerbel or whatever see him being praised by the crowd as he drinks booze on camera.
    They hear Clooney say that he must give Pitt back his cane or Pitt cannot make it to the bar.

These folks extol as virtues getting boozed up.

They set a rotten example for the youth of the world and America in particular.

They are to be condemned for that but the lame stream media will not do that.

Parents should be careful about letting their children be polluted by these overdressed overpaid talented devils.

January 16, 2012 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Mr. Butters

Meanwhile Brad is still working on rebuild New Orleans. Quite shameful that. To suggest that an award show that also doubles as a party shouldn't have drinking or suggests someone lifestyle is a joke. Honestly, your worried about influencing kids, why don't you go out and ban superbowl ads for beer. Yeah, that's what I thought.

January 16, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tlo

Pitt was recently injured and is walking with a cane. That wasn't a comment on his sobriety. Do five seconds of research before getting so snide, please.

January 16, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Ron

Man I don't even CARE anymore but show was definitly racialist because no black presenters just some token tom awards. The brothers not respected.

January 16, 2012 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
    • WEW

What

Sidney Potier, Paula Paxson, Idris Elba( Winner), Octavia Spencer (winner), Morgan Freeman (Special Award). These to nane a few.

January 16, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • sockpuppet

Your list is terrible at best. Elba is a foreigner. Sidney Poitier is from years ago, and the only real artist in the lot. Morgan Freeman makes his living playing the "magical n_ g ro" (google it) and Octavia won for playing the black maid. and just who is Paula Paxson?

January 16, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  21. jane muuse

ricky gervais is so funny. i watch the show because of him not jolie, or brad. however, some of the jokes got cut off. grrr...

January 16, 2012 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  22. m

Hey jan have u ever heard of sarcasm

January 16, 2012 at 7:05 am | Report abuse |
  23. sockpuppet

They call me sockpuppet cuz I cover my dong. It sticks straight up and bring it along! My buddy pulls it off and starts to yank, next thing you know I be pumpin Hank! We be gay and we be freaks, we iz just some fruity geeks!

January 16, 2012 at 4:54 am | Report abuse |
  24. Reba555

Jig-a-boo. Jig-a-boo. Jig-a-boo. I luv u!! Pump me full of your manboy spoo. Salty and thick...it makes me crazy. Now I just sit home and get crammed....dam lazy!!

January 16, 2012 at 4:04 am | Report abuse |
  25. sockpuppet

total fail o Ricky's part, and I am a fan of his. Kim Kardashian, Justin Bieber jokes, really? I hope he didn't get paid for his 10 minutes of non-work. He didn't even try.

January 16, 2012 at 3:50 am | Report abuse |
  26. Nancy

Ricky be a big ol fruit. Dat fairy just wants to pound your pooper! He will pack your fudge so tight, u be walkin bowleggd for a week!! Ricky will schlob your knob and polish it up. Jig-a-boos got da monster-sized peters and they be rockin my world!!

January 16, 2012 at 3:24 am | Report abuse |
  27. LGLK

I hit da blunt and get all blazed and when I'm done my buddy gets razed! I pump his rump and rock dat coq...I just wanna play with them pocket rocks! Bring it you fairies!!

January 16, 2012 at 2:54 am | Report abuse |
  28. Reba555

Madonna and Ricky had the best banter.

January 16, 2012 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Jan

Hey, genius, "banter"? They never spoke two words to each other. One said his thing when he was on stage and the other said her stuff when she was on stage (and he was off). You might want to look up the word 'cus communication is everything.

January 16, 2012 at 6:59 am | Report abuse |
  29. juan escobar

Mila!!!oh my

January 15, 2012 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  30. LGLK

Too tame but Ricky rocks. He's so funny. Love the blunt, in your face British humor.

January 15, 2012 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  31. John

Love how Ricky keeps it real, saying things that make the "stars" cringe in their little world.

January 15, 2012 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

A lot of his "jokes" last year would have made anyone of any class cringe in horror. He picked on old people for being old and recovering drug addicts for being losers. Hilarious! He wasn't funny, just cruel. He was amusing this year.

January 16, 2012 at 6:57 am | Report abuse |
  32. Nancy

He was WAY to tame.......I have watched the entire show, hoping he would start blasting the stars.....and nothing.

And where is the "In Memoriam"........for those who have passed.

Very tacky HFPA....VERY Tacky

January 15, 2012 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Dew H

Please Bring back last year's Ricky Gervais. Boring very sad that they were able to control him like this.

January 15, 2012 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

You mean control him for making the most obvious-and-so-unfunny jokes of last year, crushing the easy targets (old people and recovering recovering drug addicts)? That's not humor, that's just rude cruelty. When you were a kid (now?), I'll bet you found amusement out of setting cats on fire and throwing rocks at dogs.

January 16, 2012 at 6:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Kat

I agree Dew H. I guess people like John are more appreciative of those who would dole out sycophantic praise to all of these smug, self-congratulatory "artists."

January 16, 2012 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
    • PETER

I so agree!!!! He whimped out – he was hardly ever on. What a big scam!!

January 16, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • jpip

did John really mean to say "recovering recovering adicts"? If so, that was REALLY funny and very appropriate...

January 16, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • no one cares

Kat, you're an ignorant wh0re.

January 16, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  34. lol

I like the kim k comparision to kate m! Lol

January 15, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Alice M

It was a short monologue, funny but seemed quite tame compared to previous years. Overall the globes are a yawn fest so far, bring Ricky back before I fall asleep!

January 15, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Sokman

Johnny Depp looked like a cleaned up pirate... or did that cleaned up pirate look like Johnny Depp?

January 15, 2012 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Bob Sacamano

It was fine...but it didn't make me laugh out loud like it did last year. Definitely tamed.

January 15, 2012 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Art Vandolay

Ricky rocked the house agan this year! -Art

January 15, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |