A double twist on 'Fringe'
January 14th, 2012

A double twist on 'Fringe'

The first episode of "Fringe" for 2012 on Friday night was also one of the best episodes of the season.

Now that Peter is back (but obviously a man in the wrong universe), things have really revved up on the show (and just in time, as the possibility of another season is looking bleak).

Peter and Lincoln jumped into the parallel world, with two very different goals. Lincoln wanted to stop the shapeshifters (and Olivia believed, for good reason, that Walternate is behind them), while Peter just wanted to figure out how to get home.

It was interesting to note that the parallel world's version of Broyles is still alive, since Peter's disappearance was something of a "reset" button.

I've spoken more than once about John Noble and Anna Torv's perennial snubbing at the Emmys and Golden Globes. With this episode, Joshua Jackson made an excellent case to be nominated himself, especially Peter's scenes with his mother, and Walternate.

Speaking of Walternate, it seems he's not behind the shapeshifters. We saw an old face, David Robert Jones (Jared Harris, fresh from "Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows"), and he looks to be the mastermind behind the attacks.

Back on "our side," Olivia got a visit from an Observer, who was shot in the chest. He delivered the news that in every possible future, she has to die. And then, he disappeared.

Did this week's episode make you more excited for the rest of the season? Do you think it deserves a fifth season? Share your view on iReport or comment below.

« Previous entry
  1. Arniea Yetskod

Fantastic items from you, man. I have take note your stuff previous to and you are just extremely fantastic. I actually like what you have acquired here, really like what you're stating and the way by which you assert it. You're making it entertaining and you still care for to keep it sensible. I can't wait to learn far more from you. That is actually a great website.

July 2, 2012 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Bob

I really like this show – sci-fi with depth, human elements, multiple subplots. So, of course, the show is dead meat and will not get another season.

January 15, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jane

anyone else gag at the blatant showing of the Nissan leaf in the show... normally shows don't make it that obvious who is funding it. And yes it deserves a 5th..6th 7th... etc.

January 15, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • fade

TOTALLY agree. it was WAY too obvious (so have the more recent episodes) I am glad I was not the only one to notice it.

February 18, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. FREEBRAINELECTRODEANDCANCERFORALL

IM CHARLIE CRACK AND MR. ED AND RICHARD FORE. TROLL OF THE VENUSIAN GODS. EMAIL ME AT CH_CRACK@YAHOO.COM FEEL THE POWER OF MY THROOBBING ASTRONAUTICAL PREDICTIONS.

January 15, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  5. FREEBRAINELECTRODEANDCANCERFORALL

TRULY AN INHUMAN GERMANIC KNEEGRROW SHOW BASED ON THE COMPLEX INHUMANITIES OF THE LIBERAL OCCUPY WALLSTREET MOVEMENT. PROTEST THIS SHOW BEFORE DEC 2012 TO RECIEVE THE ULTIMATE FORGIVENESS OF THE MASONIC PLUTARCHIAL VENUSIAN PLANETS AND RECIEVE THE BLESSINGS OF SATURNS ETERNAL RINGS OF HAPPINESS AND THE MONARCHY OF RIGELLIAN AWARENESS. CONTACT THE HIERARCHY AT CH_CRACK@YAHOO.COM

January 15, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Bazinga!

I I love smart, complex, well written shows. Huge fan of Lost, X-Files, the movie Inception, etc. Buuuuuut;
    I I cannot pick up this show. I missed the first two seasons, and am lost. And it hasn't hooked me enough to want to go bck and rent the first two seasons. Its just a jumbled mess? Sorry

January 15, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  7. k

This is a great show. It will be a pity if they shut it down. Come on Fox.

January 15, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  8. mindbird

This is a great show.Complicated plots, but they often stop and explain things and move on–no Ennnnddddllleesss mysteries.

January 15, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. ella

No reason for a 5th season. The first 4 were bad enough.

January 15, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. twyla in cali

Time rifts? Insaine scientist? This sounds like end times hogwash. I and my church family urge everyone to contact those who advertise on this show and boycott their products.

January 15, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bazinga!

another genius. How about you and your church hypocrites keep your nose out of our tv's?

January 15, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  11. jeff

Shows like this shouldnt be allowed to air. It makes people believe in witchcraft and false ideas. Hopefully this will be the final season.

January 15, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • mindbird

Are you ALL crazy?

January 15, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bazinga!

And you believe in what, God? Another ridiculous hocus-pocus act. Do you believe in the Leprechaun on the Lucky Charms Box, or that if you sail around the world, you'll fall off the edge? Pick up a real science book, and try to understand how things really work. You'd be amazed!

January 15, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cathy

Really? so you want more shows like bewitches,the secret circle,true blood,etc?????

January 17, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Canadiana

Excellent show! I would hate to see it go away because our minds are too fried to understand anything beyond mindles reality shows that display the worst in people. There is hardly anything to watch on TV. This show really stands out from the rest. A real treat.

January 15, 2012 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  13. tes

My teacher said for us to watch this show and write about how it made us feel. It is my 5th grade AP Social Studies class. Most of us said it made us feel bad and made us want to do bad stuff like take drugs and smoke cigarets. It is not a good show.

January 15, 2012 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  14. MAGGIE

We dont let our children watch nonsense like this. There are plenty of good shows on PBS you could be watching. Instead of waroing your young minds by watching unbelievable satanic shows you could be actually learning something. Hopefully when Mitt Romney is elected garbage like this will be banned. Young minds are to precious to waste. Remember-youth is the leaders of tomorrow.

January 15, 2012 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  15. jim

I liked the episode where they encountered the Borg best. Their version of the stargate is a cheap rippoff though. Very unrealistic.

January 15, 2012 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  16. potottoe

To me it just seems like a scifi version of CSI or CSI Miami. The time rift thing is just silly. Plus all of the charcters have those odd huge chins like Jay Leno. Does everyone having those funny looking chins supposed to mean it is in the future? On the female characters it is just plain silly and takes away from the show.

January 15, 2012 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  17. Mrs. M

The writers have certainly confused and confounded plot continuity. Remember, the only reason Olivia was able to return from the alternate universe was because Peter was her anchor to bring her back. Broyles only died because he was helping Olivia get back to Peter. If Peter's disappearance "reset" anything, then either Olivia wouldn't have gone to the alternate world in the first place, or been able to return. Hence, the current story line provides no explanation for the working relationship between worlds that exists only because of Peter. The only plausible explanation is that (at least) a 3rd parallel dimension exists. As much as I've enjoyed Fringe, the show almost lost me. I was bored out of my skull with this season, until the last episode.

January 15, 2012 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Alichat

Mrs. M – In the previous timeline, Peter wasn't Olivia's anchor to get her back to her universe. Peter was her anchor to her reality. Big difference. Olivia, believing she was Fauxlivia, could have still traveled back to her universe because of the Cortexifan. That's what Peter was alluding to in this episode...that she can travel between universes without the assistance of any machine. Now that this timeline is reset, there are lots of things that have happened differently and we don't know how or why they happened. I wouldn't say Peter's removal 'reset' anything, but instead altered the history of events to this point. We know from the season premiere that Fauxlivia did take Olivia's place and act as her for awhile, but we don't know how that came about, if Olivia was held over there or here, and how she got out. I'm assuming that is something we may learn as the season progresses. Just as I'm hoping that we will learn how the bridge was created since Peter needed the machine to create it in the previous timeline. A machine only he can use. Look at this new timeline as a game where you're trying to determine what stayed the same, and what is now different. And, as in the case of Atl-Broyles, what is the same but different. He's dead in both timelines, but just at the hands of different people. Something I am wondering.....speaking of resetting....is will Peter's sudden existence in this timeline slowly reset it back to what it was. Meaning, will we have, for lack of a better term, blink moments, where in a blink the history is altered, and people's memories are altered. Or is this a static timeline that Peter will now have to learn to live in and love?

January 16, 2012 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  18. Liz from Austtralia

My friends and I love Fringe. We are so sick of Police, Murder and Reality programs. Fringe is the only show we get excited about and actually discuss. Please ensure we get to see the.rest of the story unfold. It is one of the few programs that is not completely inane.

January 15, 2012 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
  19. michaelfury

Bring back "The Lone Gunmen".

January 15, 2012 at 7:25 am | Report abuse |
  20. M. Perovich

I've watched this show from the start. Last season wasn't what I expected, but the past few shows have been getting better. All characters are well acted, my favourite are Walter and Olivia. I like Joshua's work too, but since I'm a big fan of his, I like him anyway.
    This show definItely needs another season, or at least I do.

January 14, 2012 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Jilly444

I don't know why this show seems to always be on the chopping block. It is so well scripted and acted. People LOVE this show and are loyal. Why the threats? I can't imagine what effects that pressure has on the writers. Write to end it the way you want or keep going and risk and Heroes nose dive? This show has proven itself over and over. Let them do their job and keep entertaining us each week.

January 14, 2012 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  22. FringeBinge

Greatest television show ever created.... One of the only truly original shows ever created. Although season 4 has been pseudo lack luster in comparison to seasons 1-3, this latest episode shows that the writers obviously know what they are doing, and that there are good things to come. I'll be very very sad is fringe does not have a 5th season. :(

January 14, 2012 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Techmom2000

Please Fox...another season of Fringe, best show on tv. The one show I dvr. Reminds me of XFiles; great characters and so intelligently written. Couldn't imagine you'd let story end when producers said they have entire plot planned out for few more years.

January 14, 2012 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Rose Wilson

Bring back Fringe for a fifth season. Fringe is great Sci Fi with action, suspense plots that twist and turn. It has great characters with excellent actors to portray them. I'm bored with reality shows and canned laughter comedies. I repeat "Bring Fringe back"

January 14, 2012 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Henry Hanks

Great points all, Alichat!

January 14, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Fringy

bring back fringe for a fifth!! and stop threatening to pull it.....and go ahead with the yanking glee

January 14, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Oooo wow man

Im charlie crack. I will deny it though.

January 14, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Point

Anna Torv truly has the the multiple versions of Olivia and Faucxlivia to details, and with little backstory.
    And on top Nimoy within 3 days.
    Anna Torv really deserves to be recognized.
    John Noble is great as Walter, best written character on tv, Walternate is dull and flat.
    Your remark about Jackson must be a joke, that was mostly saying his lines, as he actually has been doing since the beginning. He did some effort in the begining, but the rest? The scenes with the mother were made by the guest actress.
    But hey according to US media he is the star, which means protection.

January 14, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Leo

N!ggers are good at smoking crack, robbing old ladies and lowering property values.

January 14, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leo

...and into every topic comes a rebellious little 14-year old with sociability and anger management issues... This article had a good run without them for a few hours at least.

January 14, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • fudge

i take it you must be black to come out with comments like that, if you are there can you explain what the hell you are going on about? black or white, are you talking about agent broyles?

January 14, 2012 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Alichat

You forgot one of the biggest twists in the episode.....that Alt-Broyles is working with David Robert Jones! That leads me to believe he isn't alive as we thought, but is a shapeshifter. There were some huge revelations in this episode, for the viewers and for the characters. Olivia discovering that she can travel, without assistance, from universe to universe; Peter, in the end, thinks Fauxlivia is a good person; Elizabeth from our universe apparently killed herself shortly after Peter's death; Walternate isn't the vengeful SOB he is in Peter's timeline; Olivia discovering that the Observers Peter spoke of do exist and they know who she is, it was a wounded September, who it could be argued started all of this by distracting Walternate during the synthesis of the cure 25 years ago, who revealed that no matter the timeline Olivia must die....(I'm still noodling that one since in the end we all die)..........there isn't another show on television that offers so many twists and makes you ponder so many outcomes. I really hope it gets a 5th season.

January 14, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Sly Sadie

I love this show. @Leo- I agree. Both your comments are spot on. Why is it when they actually have a good show, with good writing, a good plot, good acting, they are the first programs they want to get rid of. I guess there are just not enough reality shows & sitcoms on tv. Too bad for us, I guess. Question to the guys, which Olivia do you like the best, the blonde or the red head?

January 14, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank Stanton

They don't call TV the "idiot box" for no reason. Programmers generally put on tired sitcoms, police, medical and legal procedurals which are easy to digest for the zombies. I mean for heaven's sake, Charlie Sheen, of all people, became a star with that lame 2 and half men! Thoughtful shows are usually crushed by the second or third season. 'More's the pity' as Will Shakespeare once wrote.

January 18, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  32. 2 cents

easily one of the best shows and TV, and as such deserves another season. if this is cancelled, i will be very reluctant to watch any show Fox airs...

January 14, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  33. potottoe

Yep. It seems tres lame to me.

January 14, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Pedro'

I dont really care for it. It is just a remake of so many other shows from the past. We need some fresh new programs. Not this junk.

January 14, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leo

If they make ONE MORE show about a female FBI agent that can travel through dimensional rifts to stop a war between two brilliant but insane scientists who lost their sons at an early age that uses shapeshifting human clones that eventually leads to the end of the human timeline according to bald-headed Observers... I'm gonna puke! *Universal eye-roll sign!*

January 14, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • mindbird

I agree, Leo. If you've seen one show about a female FBI agent that can travel through dimensional rifts to stop a war between two brilliant but insane scientists who lost their sons at an early age that uses shapeshifting human clones that eventually leads to the end of the human timeline according to bald-headed Observers, you've seen them all.

January 15, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Carol

What an AWESOME show!!!!! Please give them another year!!!

January 14, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Leo

The actor who plays Walter and Anna Torv absolutely deserve recognition for their portrayal of "different" people. Their mannerisms, quirks, the way they speak, their facial expressions are all completely different for their other characters. Walter, even before Walternate, deserved an award just for his incredibly human and convincing insane acting!

January 14, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Frustrated

All you have to do is look at who/what was recognized at People's Choice awards and you will know why Fringe and other quality prime time sci fi is doomed. Intellegent viewers are out there but apparently we dont make enough noise to keep the great shows alive.

January 14, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Watson

IF this show doesn't get another Season the USA should be down graded to Third World Country status. One of the best shows on TV getting crushed in the ratings by garbage shows like Mike and Molly

January 14, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Javi

perfectly said!!

January 14, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cathy

I agree! I look forward to Friday night T.V. because of this show.Stop the reality crap!Enough is enough! Fringe is by far the best !

January 17, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank Stanton

I totally agree, but historically Fox and even the other networks use Friday as a graveyard for shows that don't have huge followings. Nonetheless, Fringe is one of the most thoughtful, well executed shows on TV and the acting ensemble is as good as it gets for TV.

January 18, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Mike

Best drama on TV. Sign them up for a 5th season.

January 14, 2012 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  40. Leo

Excellent show! DEFINITELY deserves a 5th season!

January 14, 2012 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Muggles Rule

John Noble is one of the best actors working anywhere. Anna Torv is above average and so is the show. 'Fringe' deserves a 5th season.

January 14, 2012 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |