Rob Schneider turns life into a sitcom with 'Rob'
January 13th, 2012

Rob Schneider turns life into a sitcom with 'Rob'

For the last couple of seasons, CBS has been searching for the right show to air after its massive hit "The Big Bang Theory." They've tried "$#*! My Dad Says," "How to Be a Gentleman" and "Rules of Engagement" (twice). So far, nothing has seemed to be able to hold the audience.

"Rob" is probably not going to be the one to break the streak.

Thursday night's premiere wasn't exactly expected to be "Downton Abbey" (as CBS entertainment president Nina Tassler put it). I didn't go in with particularly high expectations, which is the same way I approached watching "Work It."

Here's what I can say (and there already seems to be something of a debate on this point): "Rob" is not as bad as "Work It."

For one thing, Rob the character is kind of a lovable bumbler. Star Rob Schneider has made a career of playing characters like "Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo." In the case of "Work It" – try as it might to make the two leads sympathetic with their employment problems, they just aren't.

That's not to say that "Rob" isn't bad. For example, Rob accidentally coming across to his new wife's family as though he "humped her grandmother" is a joke you could see coming a mile away, and the payoff isn't funny.

At first, a lot of the humor comes from the dimwitted control freak, Rob, accidentally offending his wife Maggie's Mexican family. (By the way, Schneider based the show on his own life.)

The character Rob seems to know less about Mexican culture than your average American preschooler. By his own admission, "I took three years of Spanish and retained none of it!"

The show is also trying to sell Maggie's uncle, Hector, as a breakout character, and one of his lines to Rob about how much the family hates him was pretty funny. We'll see how successful they are with that.

Cheech Marin plays Maggie's dad, Fernando, who surprises Rob by espousing his view that there needs to be a big wall across the Mexican border, "and patrol it with cannons." That's the only moment of surprise for anyone (well, aside from the "humping" scene) in this by-the-numbers show.

When it comes down to it, "Rob" is very lucky that it premiered in the same two-week-period as "Work It."

Did you like the show more (or even less) than I did? Share your view on iReport or comment below.

1. richard gutierrez

i thought it was a great and fuuny show it is better than the new gayish two & half men put rob back on i would really like to see it come back weekly

April 4, 2012 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Steve

I liked it. Let's give this a chance people. I hate how these days shows get cancelled after a couple episodes. I like seeing a show shot like a traditional sitcom. Rob was great with Men Behaving Badly and this has as much potential Go Rob!

January 16, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  3. MadCityBabe

it's really difficult to watch anything after Seinfeld and Friends..........everything else is a very poor knockoff

January 16, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Tonya

Was the worst 15 minutes of TV I've seen in a loooong time. Had to stop watching half way through.

January 16, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Don

Anyone who thinks this show is funny needs to get a life. Another CBS 'comedy' for retards.

January 16, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Rob

I thought it was funnier than you did, but not as funny as I was expecting. I am a Rob Schneider fan, and will give this show another shot. I think if it has enough time, it can be a really funny show.

January 16, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  7. GC

This show should be removed immediately. The best new comedy is 2 Broke Girls and keeps CBS up. This one drops them back 2 or 3 steps

January 16, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. JB

It was funny, I will give it another shot.

January 16, 2012 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  9. CClark

I thought it was pretty funny and I will make a point to try and watch it. Generally I like Rob Schneider, I think he is funny and not offensive or gross (like so many other comedians). Cheech Marin was wonderful as always and a real asset to the show. However, lose the brother character- he was just annoying. lol

January 16, 2012 at 3:00 am | Report abuse |
  10. cacmacac

I was looking forward to it but was seriously disappointed. It was flat, it was stale, it was not funny. Darn! I wanted it to be. I love good comedy, e.g. The Big Bang, Two and a Half men, the political pundits...

January 15, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Bazinga!

I thought it was better then I expected. Some funny jokes, scenes. Esp with the mother bent over the bed, that was hilarious! What are the critics expecting, M*A*S*H?

January 15, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. GS

We watched because of Cheech, not Rob and like many others want to give the show a chance to develope the characters. It's nice that the lead characters are married and not just in a living together relationship. It'll be interesting to see the lead character in a setting where being Caucasian is the minority. But in comedy, that's pretty safe as the white, Anglo male is just about the last socio-economic group that can be made fun of without a major hissy fit. I hope the show makes it.

January 15, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  13. JT

I thought this show was funny. I hope it makes it. I thought it was refreshing to see the lead characters married instead of shacking up like most newer shows portray. I hope this show makes it.

January 15, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  14. Señorita

I am spanish speaking person and enjoyed the first episode. The writers could have tried a little harder; even any rehash of an "I love Lucy" episode reverted could have been better, but Rod and the rest of the cast did a great job with what little they had. I too could see the abuela rape coming from a mile away – classic Rob Schnider situation – yet that didn't make it less funny; I still thought it was hilarious – the abuala and Rod made it hilarious and although the story was rather stale, from that point on I was hooked and I am now willing to give it a chance because the actors are really trying and for that, they deserve the chance.

January 14, 2012 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Flakeywhiteboy

I thought the show was great!

January 14, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Dustin

We had high hopes for this show and I'm a big fan of Rob's, but was really disappointed. Didn't even finish the episode before switching channels.

January 14, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  17. bat0ng-buh4y

Isn't it Rob is half Filipino?

January 14, 2012 at 3:49 am | Report abuse |
  18. sue moral

i love it, i thinck its funny, looking fprward to watch it again.

January 14, 2012 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  19. mikrik13

Nothing new here. I'm passing on "Rob".

January 13, 2012 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Buddy

I thought it was pretty funny. The supporting cast is really funny and I want to see how they grow together. I'll be watching next week.

January 13, 2012 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Observer

As a general rule, anything with SNL alums in it generally blows. And this fits that rule.

January 13, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Joe Johnson

LOVED this show and plan on watching EVERY week !!! We belly laughed several times. Good job CBS !!!

January 13, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  23. deb

I thought it was fairly good, am married to a latino, and could feel his pain. lol

January 13, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Max

It was sore–but I will give it some time-Loved seeing Cheech, one of my kid-hood idols–and if they develop some of the characters –C'mon Rob, you can do it.

January 13, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • excuse me?

Cheech? one of your kid hood idols? Oh yeah, i'm sure you went far in life....loser

January 15, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  25. bg_fla

I really like Rob Schneider and was hoping this show would be really funny. I do not think it was great but it was not bad. I did laugh several times. I am going to give it a chance. Yeaa Cheech!

January 13, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  26. LDS II

We dont like this show here in Utah The Beautiful. It is a bad anti mormon show. Im going to report this show to our elders when I go to tabernacle.

January 13, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |