Friday's Top Five: Funniest parenting movies
January 13th, 2012

Friday's Top Five: Funniest parenting movies

Now that the initial media blitz over their daughter Blue Ivy has begun to subside, the reality of parenthood should be sinking in for Mr. and Mrs. Carter (a.k.a., Jay-Z and Beyonce). These realities may include sleepless nights, lactation 101, and perhaps even poop that squirts.

But as much of an adjustment as parenthood is, it also offers plenty of comedy - as evidenced by this week's list. These funny parenting films are reminders that coaching little league, carrying around a copy of  Dr. Spock and making homemade applesauce are all part of the wondrous adventure of having kids - even when you're a celebrity.

Hopefully, the latest pair of famous parents can find some time to sit down and enjoy one of the films in this week’s round-up and have a good laugh. What movies would you recommend?

"Parenthood" (1989): “I’m waiting for her head to spin around.” – Gil Buckman

"Mr. Mom" (1983): “Honey if you call and I'm not home, I'll be at the gym or the gun club.” – Jack Butler

"Baby Boom" (1987): “I can't have a baby because I have a 12:30 lunch meeting!” – J.C. Wiatt

"Raising Arizona" (1987): “Well... it ain't ‘Ozzie and Harriet.’” – H.I. McDonnough

"Knocked Up" (2007): “If it grows from the ground, it's probably okay.” – Ben’s Dad

1. Jelle

Have you noticed the news has cgnahed its approach recently? What once seemed like a never discussed issue has become more prevelant. Frankly it is about time we see a change.

March 14, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. alumette

I remember watching an interview with Beyonce about a year ago where she said having kids was not going to be for her. She was afraid of it and would not feel comfortable going through it. Now, she says, it is what nature means, after all, to have children is our duty to the world.....huh ? what ? what made her change her mind ? did she really get pregnant or did she use a surrogate ? when it is not conceivable to hide such secrets for ever, no matter how much money is exchanged....I guess the truth will come up sooner or later. No big deal using a surrogate, big deal to fool people.......like...we care anyway....

January 24, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  3. wickedwillie72

C'mon yall there has never been a family movie that has protrayed life lessons better than VACATION... When Clark and Rusty share a beer and Clark tells Rusty hes a man know ... of course not knowing Rusty was already taught by his cousin hoe to ..."bop the bologna" ...CLASSIC!

January 17, 2012 at 6:19 am | Report abuse |
  4. Buxxy

I loved both Baby Boom and Mr. Mom! Really...funny and just well done. Of course, I don't have any kids of my own but I thought these movies were delightful...

January 16, 2012 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  5. nerp

Dude the Addams Family is one of the best movies ever. Wednesday was my hero. Also Nanny McPhee actually was pretty cute.

January 15, 2012 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  6. Smack-it-up-Flip-It-Rub-it-down

1. Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (!989)
    2. Honey, I Blew Up the Kid (1992)

January 14, 2012 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. OhmeOhmy

I love both versions of the move "The Parent Trap" although it wasnt as much about the parents parenting as it was about the parents getting played by their kids. :) I did enjoy "Knocked Up" and the newest Tyler Perry movie "Madea's Big Happy Family".

January 14, 2012 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  8. Boocat

You need therapy....

January 13, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  9. @tracie

Were u abused as a child ?

January 13, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Peace

Bummer, thought I was firsty! HaHa!

January 13, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Peace

I just,recently, watched this movie called, "Nanny McPhee". It was cute & those kids def needed some parenting! What about "Denis the Menace"? Oh, firsty!

January 13, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Boo

Let's see. The Addams Family movies with Angelica Houston and Raul Julia. Remember when Wednesday grabbed small knife to go play and Morticia handed her a much bigger knife? There's Big Girls Don't Cry...They Get Even where all the grown ups are married to each other and there's like 8 parents (due to all the marriages) searching for one girl. Nine Months, even though Hugh Grant and Julianne Moore are parents for only the last 6 minutes of the movie. Father of the Bride – original and remake.

January 13, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |