The egg and 'Modern Family'
January 12th, 2012

The egg and 'Modern Family'

When Jay and Claire agreed – then almost immediately broke that agreement – not to work on their kids' egg project for school, what followed was another great argument for Emmy nominations for Ed O'Neill and Julie Bowen.

This was one of the best episodes the actors have had, playing off of each other with Jay confronted Claire about her hyper-competitiveness: "You came out of the womb like that. I'm not entirely sure there wasn't a twin in there that you bumped off."

Claire pointed out that, she learned from watching him. And Alex, who basically accomplished the egg project by herself, is heading down the same path as Claire. (The assignment was to build a vessel that would protect an egg from a one-story drop.)

Despite these strong performances, I have to give Cam the MVP award this week. He won over, and then lost, a prospective surrogate for his and Mitchell's next child.

He and Mitchell performed "Don't Go Breaking My Heart." This made my year (so far). Cam had to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, though, by performing "If You Leave Me Now," by Chicago, bringing the poor pregnant woman to tears.

Of course, the ever-positive Cam's response was, "What I took from this was: I can sing!"

The Gloria/Phil plotline was quite good as well, with his planned real estate presentation going off the rails when Gloria and Haley (who were supposed to help) ended up going to the salon and didn't show up on time.

(I really like the fact that we're seeing Phil doing his job more this season.)

We also had a textbook example of a "Modern Family" joke when Gloria told Phil that he places her on a pedestal, when she was standing on an actual pedestal.

Overall, a fine episode, and I think it will indeed be sent to the Emmy voters at the end of the season.

What did you think about Wednesday night's show? Post your iReport or comment below.

1. how to market your business

Great goods from you, man. I've understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely fantastic. I actually like what you've received right here, really like what you are saying and the way through which you say it. You are making it entertaining and you still care for to stay it smart. I can not wait to read much more from you. That is actually a great website.

July 29, 2012 at 3:28 am | Report abuse |
  2. Jane

Great! Join http://www.seniorssingledating.com/. I'm sure you can make more friends on it. Unlike other sites, SeniorsSingleDating assists you to connect with millions of senior singles for friendship, dating, serious relationship, activity partner and more.

January 15, 2012 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. LoJenk

January 13, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. BubJoe

Congrats jammal for joining tracie to be some of the dumbest people I've ever seen. I'm surprised you even know how to type...well at least you can type like a 7 year old. I bet your families are proud. Congrats on being the biggest pansies on comment boards. Ive wasted enough time on your losers. I'm headed to work, which Im sure you tools know now about.

January 13, 2012 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  5. Observer

Liberal.
    Garbage.

January 13, 2012 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  6. cooper

Loved this episode! some amazing lines. Plus The cam baby song was awesome. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGy9Kmd-Puo

January 12, 2012 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. JAMMAL

I bet you are a dang mormon.

January 12, 2012 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. trix are for kids

Modern Family continues to be one of the funniest shows on TV today. Too bad the comments here aren't even close to that level yet... nor will they ever be...

January 12, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. pathetic

JAMMAL? Really? I've never seen anyone with that name... or do you mean JAMAL? You're dumber than the people you're trying to insult.

Nothing tracie says is funny. It's one thing to make a joke here and there... it's another to put the same crap on every article. Pliny was right... but he probably knew better and left this blog.

January 12, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. JAMMAL

See BubJoe. We like tracie. Tracie makes funny post. In the US we dont make jokes about goats and giraffes like you do over there in Africastan.

January 12, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  11. JAMMAL

BubJoe sounds like a n!ggraboo. Im a black guy so I can say that. Its not bad if I say it. I bet BubJoe is fresh off the boat from Somaila and doesnt know funny post when he reads them. He is still an Africanized N!ggraboo.

January 12, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  12. big dog

hey tracie i will shove it so far up your butt they will hear you scream on mars

January 12, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  13. BubJoe

Are those comments supposed to be funny? 2 great examples of stupid people that take up a lot of space in this country. Idiots.

January 12, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |