AMC has 'Goodfellas' series in development
January 11th, 2012

AMC has 'Goodfellas' series in development

Fans of AMC's mob movie marathons can rejoice: The network has a TV version of "Goodfellas" in the works, Deadline Hollywood reports.

AMC is developing a series based on Martin Scorsese's classic "Goodfellas," with writer Nicholas Pileggi, who adapted the screenplay from his book "Wiseguy," on hand to co-write the TV adaptation. (Good sign, no?)

Along with fellow co-writer Jorge Zamacona, Pileggi and "Goodfellas" producer Irwin Winkler will executive produce the developing project.

Released in 1990, "Goodfellas" starred Robert De Niro, Joe Pesci and Ray Liotta, and focused on the rise and fall of mobster Henry Hill (Liotta) from 1955 to 1980. Nominated for six Oscars, including best picture, Pesci walked away with the Academy Award for best supporting actor.

Filed under: television

1. jo pearce

Can't see this being any good (but there's always a small chance lol)

September 26, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  2. MissJinx

I think this is a wonderful idea... I mean, I will admit that Goodfellas is my favorite movie and all, but this could turn into a great program. The book that the film was based on is awesome and there was a lot about Henry Hill's life that was left out of the movie due to time, budget, flow, etc. But if the show were to tell the entire story with marginal fictionalization I think it would be a great period piece drama. If viewers can separate themselves from their beloved film and embrace a new interpretation it will be rad. I just don't want the producers to try too hard and muck it all up.

June 14, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. thong leotard

Hello! I just want to offer you a big thumbs up for the great info you have here on this post. I'll be coming back to your site for more soon.

April 2, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Wow...damn

"multiculturalism = terrorism".............wow, seriously? wow. You should maybe just go outside and take in some fresh air.....Or maybe a cyanide pill or two.

January 12, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mimi

Hi Girls and Boys. If you ever feel like you need to talk to some1, need advice or just need to vent. Relationship issues, family issues, work, school ... Whatever bother you tell Mimi on Facebook "ONE LOVE" request to be added and you will. There will be girls and boys from all over the world. No matter what is your gender, skin color, or religion you are welcome. As long as you do not insult each other. This project was just created, it is 100% free and I do it to help people who sometimes struggle with life and even the ones who struggle in silence.
    Mimi is here.

January 12, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Clete

This is an idea that needs to sleep with the fishes.

January 12, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  7. The Måd Råp3r

@Darth,
    Its not a troll, just a deranged east european. Check out his youtube channel. There's hours of gibberish.

January 12, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  8. guitarharry

They already made this show: The Sopranos. Seems like a bad idea. Messing with people's favorite movies is risky...

January 12, 2012 at 3:12 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jane

Great! I just saw the news that http://www.seniorssingledating.com/ is the best and most effective senior dating site for senior singles over 50! Many of our members are well-educated, successful, and fresh in mind.

January 12, 2012 at 3:05 am | Report abuse |
  10. Sokman

Zombies would beat gangsters in an undead/mob war.

January 11, 2012 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Ed

I hope they use the same music that was played when all those bodies was turning up. Remember the body in the meat freezer and garbage despenser.

January 11, 2012 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Karen Hill

Get your God-d*mn man!!

January 11, 2012 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Leucadia Bob

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS4XouXr3AQ&w=640&h=390]

January 11, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Nathan

Well Ray Liotta needs a gig

January 11, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Anomic Office Drone

I don't mind the idea, but Goodfellas was based on actual events. That was part of what made it so fascinating and one of my all-time favorite movies. A series would have to be pure fiction, and I doubt it would bring anything new or worth watching to the table.

January 11, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  16. emtpjill

I don't think your elevator goes all the way to the top floor but then again....just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you!! Please get some meds or help!!

January 11, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Kidsmoke

HBO already did it, they just set it in modern day and called it: "The Sopranos"

January 11, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  18. TheMovieFan

This series sounds like it could be funny.

January 11, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Jeff

This isn't trolling. It's just funny. Simple, but funny. Well done sir.

January 11, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  20. theStugatz

HA!!!!! thanks for the laugh.. I"ll do it....long as you haven't eaten tacos in the last 12 hrs...

January 11, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Dave

Just when we thought we had gotten rid of Joe Pesci!!!!!

January 11, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Jeremy

If this were on HBO than maybe there would be a little reason to be excited (at least the adult content wouldn't be butchered) being on AMC – not so much. Is it really that hard for studios to invest in new IP's? We have become the society of sequels, rehashes, remakes and re-runs.

January 11, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  23. fodd

this is bad news.... honestly, they need to be working on more original material like breaking bad, not more re-sourced material like the walking dead and the stranger.
    bb is only gonna be around one more year and a new original drama (hell on wheels isnt it) that can take its place.

January 11, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  24. SteveG

KAREN!!!! KAREN!!! WHY DID YOU DO THAT KARENNNNNNNNNN

January 11, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  25. MikeSA

Come on already – Gangster movies have gotten to the point of being as tired & overdone as westerns. How many times can people watch the same old retardo mug east coast stereotypes and still be entertained?

January 11, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Chad

YOU TELL 'EM. YOU TELL 'EM, MKULTRA. RIGHT ON, BROTHER!!! BRING DOWN THE MAN.

January 11, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Jake

What the heck does Sarah Palin have to do with Goodfellas??? Every chance people take to denounce her proves their own smallness. People really aren't listening to Sarah anymore, and more so you.

January 11, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  28. John B

I liked this idea better when it was called The Sopranos...fuget about it.

January 11, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Jake

What the hell does Sarah Palin have to do with Goodfellas??? Every chance people take to denounce her proves their own smallness. People really aren't listening to Sarah anymore, and more so you.

January 11, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  30. pua

Maybe that Obama care can get you some Xanax, lord knows you seem to need it.

January 11, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Ed

Whoa. Get meds.

January 11, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  32. jay

A Goodfella's Series??? What a laugh. The original actors are old men now, and we ALL know who they are. It will turn into "Goodfella's 90210." It always does.

January 11, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Oh MAN!

No kidding, my heartbeat increased when I just read this!! AMC does it again! CAN'T WAIT! And I cant wait for Mad Men either! Oh and Breaking Bad!... Twigs, people with short attention spans usually can't get passed the commercials. Watch them on Netflix or DVD sweetheart..

January 11, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  34. daddyisback

If Scorsese isn't directing, De Niro isn't in it, WHY on earth would I watch it?!?!?!

January 11, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  35. twigs44

WHO ON EARTH WOULD WATCH AMC WITH ALL THEIR COMMERICIALS, ETC.?

January 11, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  36. OMG

DICK CHANEY MADE ME SAY THIS

January 11, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  37. John

AMC needs to push Hell on Wheels ... amazing plot and extremely historically accurate.

January 11, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Sean

The real Henry Hill got roofied and ass-raped. Gangster indeed.

January 11, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Jeff

At least Nicholas Pileggi and others from the original movie are working on it. If it has a decent storyline with good writing, It will survive. if it's just a pale imitation of Goodfellas, it won't.

January 11, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  40. The King

I was an extra in "Goodfellas" I played a detective that handed a search warrant to Lorraine Bracco (Karen Hill), and proceeded to search her home. I also played the detective that arrested the young "Henry Hill" as he was selling boot leg cigarettes. That movie was a lot of fun to work on, filmed around NYC, my scenes were in Queens. Look forward to the series.

January 11, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dnice

I'm very proud of ya.

January 11, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • P!sstank Pete

And I played the drag-queen who went down on Joe Pesci and Robert DeNiro. Unfortunately, my scenes were cut – I wouldn't do Morrie.

January 11, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Pittsburgh Connection

I'll get the papers, the papers!

I'll check it out, but it will never live upto the movie!

January 11, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Michael

Wow cant wait. AMC rocks Breaking Bad , Hell on WHeels , Walking Dead great show's and now the Goodfellow's.
    Cant wait !!!!

January 11, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hubert

'Jersey Shore' kicks the living crap out of those collective wastes of time. Get some taste.

January 11, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Mike

Brilliant movie, script and cast. No way they can replicate this on TV. So, why bother? Let's see something original for a change.

January 11, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  44. CybrSez

Seriously, I think this is machine generated (aka. "Artificial Troll"). I heard those are being tested.

January 11, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  45. IllinoisBob

PATHETIC / AMC STICK WITH WHAT YOU DO BEST / 30 COMMERCIALS AN HOUR CHOPPING UP CLASSIC FILMS

January 11, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chad

How an outfit like this ever came up with 'Mad Men' and 'Breaking Bad' is beyond me.

January 11, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  46. liberalnewz2

Please kill the case of Jersey Shore.

January 11, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Kate

As if television needs yet ANOTHER violence-infused series.

January 11, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • P!sstank Pete

America doesn't run on Dunkin' – America runs on violence.

January 11, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Mr_Hawker

Now go home & get your shine box...

January 11, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  49. angryersmell

Dear AMC,

Walking Dead was all set to be your 100% owned billion dollar baby. It was a no-brainer (heh heh); a timeless golden goose series people would have watched for years, gracing childrens lunch boxes for generations and synonymous with the letters "A", "M" and "C" until the end of time. Instead you short sighted suits torpedoed it by slashing it's budget, hacking on the production choices and firing the creative genius behind the show after it was barely out of the blocks. I'd say I hope you hacking on Goodfellas bombs in flames, but hoping for something that is inevitable is redundant. Choke and rot, zombie killers.

Sincerely,

- Lick it, you stupid, shortsighted clowns

January 11, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chad

We need another zombie show like we need another vampire/werewolf show like we need another war.

January 11, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  50. jem0276

"NO i though...I thought you said you was alright Spider."

January 11, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Alec

Gross.

January 11, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Jennifer Morris

That is hilarious! I couldn't agree more about that bag of wind with fancy glasses....YUCK!

January 11, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  53. charles napier

a tv series out of goodfellas sure just kill the legacy of the film

January 11, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Pliny

traci is a dude.

a very boring dude who thinks that telling the same poop-joke a million times, is funny.

tracie has all the creative talents of a small soap-dish.

January 11, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Jay

What a LOSER your are!!!!

January 11, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  56. jon

Good one! I like it.

January 11, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Lige

To the Producers: Go home and get your f'in shinebox!

January 11, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  58. shotti

THIS IS STUPID!!

January 11, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  59. jake1969

Man, I am sooooo over the saturation of gangster movies and series. Same formula over and over and over, just with different characters and actors. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED Goodfellas the movie and The Godfather (Parts I and II) and Scarface are some of my favorite movies of all time.

But by now it's been done so many times. I'm over the excessive machismo stuff by now. How many more retreads can there be?

January 11, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chad

Oh, I don't know – perhaps we could get another show about zombies and vampires.

January 11, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Darth Cheney

I'd call you a troll, but you don't even seem to get out as much as someone who lives under a bridge. You need serious mental help.

January 11, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Alec

Thanks for the laugh. I've been laughing for about 10 mins.

January 11, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Vic Vega

Wow... you live in a very small world.

January 11, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  63. jt_flyer

Only HBO can do good mob stories. How many freeking times can you hear someone say the word freeking?

January 11, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  64. GAW

Troll Face anyone?

January 11, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Ben

Didn't HBO already made a tv version of goodfellas?? It was called the Sopranos! Heck, most of the supporting cast from the movie Goodfellas was *in* Sopranos!

To me, Christopher Moltisanti will always be "Spider", and Paulie Walnuts will always be "Unnamed Italian guy #6 from the first 30 seconds of Goodfellas"

January 11, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aztrazolo

Except that you're referring to them as Chris Moltisanti and Paul Walnuts. Rather than Michael Imperioli and Tony Sirico. Seems the brand stuck.

January 11, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ben

Astra, you're treatin' me like im half a f*g here!

January 11, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • DNice

Don't forget Doctah Melfi and Philly Leotards. Now go home get your shinebox.

January 11, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • DeeNYC

also big p****y pushing the coat rack full of fur coats into the restaurant.

January 11, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  66. truth-teller

Time to see your priest. These God's own know exactly what to do to you. 'Good Fellas' indeed.

January 11, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Joe

Please dont do this. Why cant they find some good book that hasnt been touched yet to make a new show?

January 11, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Neal

Not that you're being judgmental or anything.

January 11, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  69. BILL pulk

I THINK A GOOD WARN ENEMA WILL SOOTHE YOUR PASSIONS.

January 11, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Scottinca

Inapropriate, yes, but I'd rather see this than the typical trolls you see on comment threads. Nice morning laff ...

January 11, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Rowan

Hmmm. I wonder if they are gonna look at Michael Pitt for this show-he is now gone from Boardwalk Empire, and he did a photoshoot recreation of a GoodFellas scene for Vanity Fair, I think, just this past fall. It was remarked about that picture that he might make a good Henry Hill for a GoodFellas remake.....he's unemployed now so this might work out well for the show and for Pitt!

January 11, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Rick

No, what you need is someone to whip your boy ass till you can't walk for a week.

January 11, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Pablo

The best Hollywood can do is to recycle 20- and 40-year older gangster material (Goodfellas and Godfather, of course)??? We already know what happened, decades ago, to the entire Goodfellas crew. Instead of wasting time and effort doing essentially "prequels" in that vein week-to-week, give us something new! (MadMen was/is great; Empire Boardwalk excellent (a vastly different gangsta take).

January 11, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • George

Yep. Just another example of the fact that Hollywood is completely bankrupt for a new or fresh idea. They just throw the same crap at us again and again and hope we don't notice.

January 11, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  74. doc

are you serious Tracie?

January 11, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  75. emily

Not me. Im tired of all the gangster sopranos crap. ILL stick with zombies and American Horror.

January 11, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • sockpuppet

American Horror started out awesome and sucked ass by the time it was over. Not too hopeful about next season.

January 11, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • DeeNYC

soooo sick of zombies. I wonder where American Horror story will go from here. supposedly they're going to have a different family every season. I don't think that's going to work.

January 11, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • P!ss-Tank Pete

You're right emily – zombies make me ILL. Idiot.

January 11, 2012 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Sokman

Wont be as good as the movie, but I'll check it out. The series that is, not your hole ^

January 11, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |