Ryan Seacrest 'can't imagine life' without 'Idol'
January 9th, 2012

Ryan Seacrest 'can't imagine life' without 'Idol'

The "Today" show may be considering Ryan Seacrest as a potential successor to Matt Lauer should the position become available, but the Hollywood heavyweight is still devoted to "American Idol."

He said as much at during the Television Critics Association's winter tour, explaining to press, “I can tell you I can’t imagine life without 'American Idol.' I have a deal with NBC Universal already…but I can’t comment on that.”

Talk then turned to "Idol's" competition, “The X-Factor” and “The Voice,” and that's when the gloves came off!

Executive Producer Ken Warwick said that "Idol" “is the show that produces the stars…I mean, Leona Lewis was a one-and-a-half hit star, not like Carrie Underwood.”

Executive Producer Cecile Fort-Coutaz was a little kinder, saying that "competition is good for everybody, and what the viewers choose to do is not in our control.”

Randy Jackson, on the other hand, found humor in comparisons of "Idol" and "The Voice."

“We will never rip off 'Star Trek' with the spinning chairs like 'The Voice' did," he joked. Ouch!

But what about the other shows on Fox, like "Fringe," "House," "Terra Nova," "Breaking In," and that reported "Glee" spin-off?

According to Fox exec Kevin Reilly, “House," “Terra Nova” and “Fringe” may or may not return. "Right now we are looking at everything and we will decide very soon," he said at the panel.

But, Reilly added that there are two things you won’t see on Fox: No more of Jonah Hill's "Allen Gregory," and definitely no "Glee" spin-off show. Reilly says the characters on "Glee" will graduate but they will not get their own series.

And Fox also wants to beef up its comedy schedule with a comedy block. It’s bringing back the on-again, off-again show “Breaking In,” but this time with “Will & Grace” alum Megan Mullally as a boss. And to go along with "Breaking In," they are also putting the super successful shows "New Girl" and "Raising Hope" along with it for a 3-2-1 punch.

Keifer Sutherland is also back with a new program on Fox called “Touch," which he'll star in and executive produce. In the show, Sutherland has an autistic son who has special powers to forecast what will happen before it occurs.

But that wasn’t the best news regarding Sutherland. The best news is that yes, there will be a “24” movie that will begin shooting this year! That update seriously made my day.

What do you think of Fox's announcements?

1. imo

Ryan should stay on Idol...he's a modern version of Dick Clark/AB. I couldn't take him seriously doing anything serious.

January 31, 2012 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Sticky Ricky

Simon!! Podemos usar las palabras muy mal

January 10, 2012 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Sticky Ricky

Habla espanol? Quiere chupar el pene? Me gusta chingar tu madre. Todas las personas van a ser feliz y seguridad cuando podemos poner el pene in el culo! Vamos a jugar con su beetches....yaaaaa quien es estas personas locos?? Porque les gustan "pound da poop chute?". Adios y buen noche!!

January 10, 2012 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  4. r

hola...vivo en una ciudad al norte de España...Pamplona...donde una secta religiosa llamada el Opus Day...Hace y deshace..Donde esta Secta dicta su propia ley...,, persigue desalmadamente a quien no es de su agrado...utilizando todo su poder para intimidar, para amedrentar...para desterrar a quien no esta de acuerdo con su forma de pensar y de actuar.
    Su poder es tan grande que se apoya en la policia..en los estamentos gubernamentales......para corruptamente..acosar a la persona que no quieren tener como vecino.....a la persona que no es de su agrado...
    Quiero que sepan a nivel mundial....que aca y en pleno siglo 21 esta pasando esto..y nadie lo sabe....y el que lo sabe lo calla..por temor a represalias....alguien tiene que investigar esos procedimientos corruptos.....algun dia la opinion tiene que conocer este hecho tan importante.
    Gracias...

January 10, 2012 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Ricky

You are all sick pervs. What a bunch of loser puds!! Go take your fairy games and go behind closed doors. No reason to torture us with your butt lickin comments!!

January 10, 2012 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. getagrip

I wanna get a grip on your rod and pull it, stretch it, tug it, slug it...fling it, bring it, yank it and flank it! Lik it, stick it, slob it and flick it! I love big ol knobs!!

January 10, 2012 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Bros rule!!

Hey! My name is blak cuz I like dem coooons! I dropped da chiks and gave up chasin the pooooon! Now I'm lookin for da jig-a-boos...I find them and take em in da loos! There we whip it out and schlob da knob...I keep it clean cuz I'm no slob! Dem bros got big ol disco sticks...I pale in comparison to my tiny prik! Now I gotta go cuz its time to pump, my buddy is ready to take it in da rump!

January 10, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Bookenz

I iz gonna have madhater and Snarky on either side of me...my lil gay bookenz. They can fill my holes with their tiny peters and we will rock and roll...smoke a pole. I be ready for a good ol fashioned slammin.

January 10, 2012 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Snarky

Yeah!! I be ready to hook up with madhater. We iz closet butt pirates and I iz wanting to pump his plump rump with my little stump!! Fairies unite!!

January 10, 2012 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  10. madhater

I agree 100 percent with butt lick and butt slammin. I should know cuz I be pounding my buddy in da pooper right now! He be schlobin my knob when I am done.

January 10, 2012 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Snarky

Random Fact: Ryan Seacrest is the gayest man on Earth.

January 10, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  12. madhater

Beibs and Seacrest should 69 each others butt holes.

January 10, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Carole

Oh please, please, please keep Terra Nova. Love that show!

January 10, 2012 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  14. getagrip

I knew I liked bricks.

January 10, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jack

Hey bblue. Let's meet up since we be fairies and my gaydar says you is a rump ranger! I will get down on my knees and bob your knob and you can do da same! We be big time freaks in da bedroom!!

January 10, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  16. bblue

I aint into dem kardashian chicks but I do want to slam da poop chute of Seacrest! He would be walkin bowlegged for a week after I bend him over a table! Let's pump each other silly!!

January 10, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  17. bblue

Kris k jenner had no control or in put with her children they were wild and very spoiled kids. kris k jenner approached ryan to create the show the kardashians because the best defense is a good offense to cover kimmeys little video .

January 10, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mariec

I lived alongside the Kardashians and they are a bunch of ho's and hooligans. The mother is queen biotch.

January 10, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  18. bblue

I too lived in brentwood near the kardashian though. i dont care if seacrest is straight or gay. he is not a journalist.if nbc brings him in to take lauers place i will go to cbs morning show.

January 10, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  19. hogh

it'a time to pay me some more money if you want me to your gf

January 10, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  20. LoJenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVdV4X2M2AI&w=640&h=390]

January 10, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  21. humtake

I'm still confused about shows on all of the major networks. According to their commercials, every series a major network has is the #1 new show, #1 rated show, #1 best show, etc....why would they need to add and remove shows? As far as I can tell from the commercials, every show on every network is #1...

January 10, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Jack

Ryan stinks as a journalist. What a complete copout NBC to stick him on The Today Show! He was terrible sitting in Larry King's seat. He'll be horrific as a morning host. He's NO journalist! What an insult to the news industry.

January 10, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Jack

Ryan seems very gay to me. My gaydar has always been pinging him. Someday the truth will come out and he'll look like a fool for all the lies he told to keep American Idol and his career on the upward trend. My friends lived next door to him in Brentwood years ago, before he was famous and he had his boyfriend over and it was common knowledge they were together.I just wish he'd be honest like Anderson Cooper and come out and be proud role models.

January 10, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  24. CNN moderator

This be some messed up schtick! You need to stop being to rude or I will tell your mommy that you are using her computer!!

January 10, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Disgusting

There are some real perverts on this web page. Where do you come up with crap like this?? We really need to scrub down these comments. Where is the moderator on this site?? I mean, I can say stuff like "jig-a-boo jig-a-boo" or "I love big on dongs in my pooper"! Why why is everyone so messed up??

January 10, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Ryan Seacrest

OK. You are all onto my tricks! I know u think I am a butt pirate...which is true. It doesn't mean you need to spread nasty comments on this CNN blog. Just cuz I like monster jig-a-boo schlongs in my keister, doesn't make me any different from you. If there are any nubile young boyz out there....drop me your digits. I would like to taste your salty spoo!!

January 10, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  27. j

I liked Christian Slater on Breaking In but can't imagine Megal Mullaly in the role...

January 10, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  28. Zbob

I will put my fingers right up dat poop hole! I am just waiting for the chance to meet this fairy, Seacrest. He can pump me silly anytime.

January 10, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  29. Zombie2

I hate ppl but I love flamin fruits! I just wanna schlob a knob! Any of you gayboyz wanna party down? Let's get bizzy and pump each other in da poop chute! I will introduce you to my friend, Ben....Ben Dover!

January 10, 2012 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  30. CB

I really wanna pump Seacrest in da pooper!! He is my dream fairy! I would luv to pack dat fudge!!

January 10, 2012 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  31. louie in las vegas

"Can't imagine life without AI"? Americans seriously have their priorities out of line.

January 10, 2012 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  32. Sharon

Hey, don't cancel Fringe and Terra Nova, they bring some life to everytday dulldrums

January 10, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  33. Rod in Dallas TX

For what they are paying him, he better be devoted.

January 10, 2012 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  34. &trisha98

Terra Nova was silly.

January 10, 2012 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
    • SharonR

Yes, Terra Nova was silly, but I still enjoyed it. I thought the special effects were amazing, and the characters were well done enough that I was invested in knowing what happened to them. I hope it comes back.

January 10, 2012 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
    • too late for Nova

Terra Nova is about 15 years too late, the dinosaur thing is over...

January 10, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  35. CB

CNN – Was this a slow news day? You have one blurb about Seacrack and Idull but then spin off into notes about shows that will or will not air? GET TO THE POINT AND STICK WITH IT. If Fox is mulling their schedule, then write another article and waste more online space.

P.S. Fringe is one of the best shows out there. If they do cancel it, they will have a lot of seriously invested and upset fans that will beg for it to be on the air (just hoping it won't go to SyFy or some other channel).

January 10, 2012 at 6:32 am | Report abuse |
  36. jan

the successor to matt lauer should be lester holt.he is more deserving of the job! ryan is just an entertainer.

January 9, 2012 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  37. mogwai

ryan is happy as long as there's a weiner in his mouth!

January 9, 2012 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Sly Sadie

I more upset that Fringe & Terra Nova might be cancelled. I'm looking forward to the 24 movie, and Keifer Sutherland's new show.

January 9, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  39. bob

Can he image life without his fingers in a male buttox

January 9, 2012 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  40. SKY

FACT: HE WANTS HIS LAST CHECK FOR THIS SEASON....WHICH IS REALLY "BIG"
    YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE A BRAIN SURGEON TO
    KNOW THAT. BUT "AMERICA IDOL IS ALMOST OVER"
    FACT!

January 9, 2012 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  41. @observer

I know what u mean, it's like ppl who use the same line over and over-gets super old, eh?

January 9, 2012 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Observer

Does this guy do anything except stand around grinning like an idiot?

January 9, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  43. fake

Zombie 2. Here we go again ppl. Troll away.

January 9, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  44. red

well duh hes getting money. dont take it personal guys

January 9, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Ellie

Seriously Ryan? Really, the other six jobs you have are not enough eh? LOL.

January 9, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  46. nancine

Ryan is right. A-I cant be replaced. Even with its voting flaws, it is still the best ! : )

January 9, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Zombie 2

Lisa Respers France should have done this article. She is the good CNN American Idol blog lady. But im almost like Ryan. It is TOOOOOO FUN to watch ! Me and my 2 cats LOVE IT !

January 9, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |