'The Martha Stewart Show' to end this year
January 6th, 2012

'The Martha Stewart Show' to end this year

The Hallmark Channel is singing Martha Stewart's praises...as they prepare to say farewell to her daytime show this year.

Reports have surfaced that Hallmark is canceling "The Martha Stewart Show," and a rep for the network says in a statement on behalf of Crown Media Family Networks and Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia that the show will stick around through the end of the summer.

"The daytime block on Hallmark Channel demonstrated year over year ratings growth and earned 'The Martha Stewart Show' two Daytime Emmy Awards in its first season on Hallmark," the statement congratulates. It then adds, "That show will continue to air through the end of summer 2012."

A source familiar with the situation tells The Wrap that the lifestyle show will cease taping new episodes in the spring, with reruns to air over the summer before its cleared from the calendar. The show, which has run for seven seasons, is said to have suffered from a slide in ratings.

Hallmark is nonetheless hopeful for its future with 70-year-old Stewart, as the network says in its statement, "MSLO and Hallmark Channel are in discussions about potential new show formats and concepts for daytime.”

Filed under: Celebrities • television

1. Jennifer Peterson

Martha is about the only show I look forward to watching. She brought variety to the show everyday. It was relaxing to watch her show as it wasn't a hodge podge of unorganized collaboration. Their were crafts, plants, food, everything you could imagine. Why can't she go to Channel 3. Right now I'm not sure what to watch. All the other shows are all the same. If you watch the news early in the morning, you here the same thing on every show all the rest of the morning. I just turn off the T.V. now. Without Martha, there is nothing to look forward to watching except Criminal Minds on Wednesday nights and Sunday Footbal and Golf. What will we do with the Martha Show. Katie is giving it her all but Martha should have that spot on Channel 3. Anderson is on at 11 on 3 but he came over from the 3 o'clock showing that Katie is on now. How many talk shows are we going to have all in a row. Martha took us all over the world in all of her travels and gave us a review of the countries she visited. She had a lot to share with the world and alot to give in her shows. What is she doing now? She really doesn't have to work. She has her products in a lot of stores. I buy them every chance I get. So, really, she doesn't have to work but she was there for us every day to tell us about something. These other talk shows just say the same thing over and over again and have the same people from one show to the next. I guess there must be a lot of money in it or they wouldn't do this but really, can we have something better with all the money we pay out to the cable companies and now we can't have the Martha Show. Well, I guess there really isn't much any of us can do but hope she comes back.

October 2, 2012 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Judy

Martha Stewart show is better than any cooking and entertainment show on during daytime TV. Even if the ratings are less her program is better than the others.

I objected to all the product placement for the shows.

The head of this network needs to get over themselves. Hallmark is full of repeats. I'm guessing Martha's show will join the repeat line up.

April 20, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Melissa

I have always loved Martha Stewart and it is painful to hear that her show is being canceled, it truly was a highlight of my day.

February 8, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. gchu

Hallmark is saying no "farewell to her daytime show this year." The Martha Stewart Show has not been cancelled by Hallmark, a media hoax started by the New York Post. Collusion among the propagandist media, including USA Today and CNN, is perpetuating this hoax .

Martha, the Martha Show, and Hallmark are collaborating in transforming a channel of reruns with Martha's Emmy Award-winning how-to lifestyle show on everyday living and the American way of life.

Contrary to The Wrap bogus source, this season the Martha Show will go on summer hiatus in May, like previous seasons, airing repeats and no new episodes until the new season starts for the show's seventh season and its third season on Hallmark in September 2012. Then it's another season of Emmy nominations for Martha and the Martha Show.

January 12, 2012 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. George

I loved watching the Martha Stewart show. I taped it daily and watched later in the day. To me it was real
    comfort food. I know Martha will be back on TV. How about the OWN network? Oprah and Martha
    on the same network would be great! Do the Hallmark ratings reflect just the immediate audience or does it include those who tape it and watch later?

January 8, 2012 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  6. bob

That old washed up polock can now finally kick back and make me some kielbasi. Iam her boyfriend and she does squat for me

January 8, 2012 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  7. gchu

MSLO should cut all "discussions" with Hallmark and move on from the Hallmark Channel. From the get go, Hallmark sabotaged the Martha Stewart programming, and Hallmark will sabotage any "new show formats and concepts." Hallmark is a total fraud, caring nothing about excellence in programming.

Hallmark is a backwater of reruns with an audience of the living dead that advertisers disdain. Lacking future viability, Hallmark is singing "praises" of its own demise saying "farewell to her daytime show this year."

AT&T U-verse viewers have been denied the Martha Stewart Show only because of Hallmark's greed in its hold-out with AT&T. Any "slide in ratings" has nothing to do with the Martha Show; it is Nielsen's fiction which doesn't count all of the people who watch the show. The Nielsen ratings system is cloaked in secrecy with no transparency; it is a hocus pocus system whicht has a stranglehold on quality programming that must end.

Certainly, it is un-American of Hallmark for the "Martha Stewart Show to end this year" on Hallmark only because Hallmark cares nothing about the American family and the American way of life, In contrast, Martha is committed to the American family and the American way of life, and the Martha Stewart Show will not end.

January 8, 2012 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
  8. Shill

Martha remains elegant, classy and smart. Her show is the only thing I watch on the Hallmark channel.

January 7, 2012 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Rockdog12

I Hope this is just a bad dream. I love the Martha show. I agree, without Martha at the helm of her company is has gone down in quality. Look what happened to Kmart after she left. They have nothing and are closing stores right and left. The only time I watch the Hallmark channel is when she is on or at Christmas. I cant believe that old reruns of Little house, Waltons or I Love Lucy are getting better ratings than her show.

January 7, 2012 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Emily

We can sit and fault her from afar, but, part of her sentencing included NOT being able to lead her own company after her imprisonment ended. She was reinstated October 1. She has been a dynamo trying to rejuvenate her company after its disastrous mismanagement when she was not at the helm for five years, so I would not be surprised if she does manage a comeback. However in this economy realistically, that doesn't appear likely. I loved "Blueprint" magazine and it would have been the answer to undo all elitist bubble problems with her brand, but it was cancelled after one year. What goes around...

January 7, 2012 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rockdog12

OMG I loved Blueprint. The Weddings was not a good replacement. I sure will be sorry to see her go

January 7, 2012 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Marcus S.

Martha is irrelevant, old, and too elitist. martha has reached her expiration date but this woman lives in such a bubble that she doesn't even realize it. nobody wants a show with 200,000 viewers, not even Oprah. it's kinda sad that martha is so out of touch.

January 7, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. renee logan

so sorry to hear this news...Martha is a wonderful teacher, and is so knowledgeable about so many things..I have admired her for years. best to you and yours.. She employes so many talented people..hope something can be worked out..I always learn something while watching her show.

January 7, 2012 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  13. drummergirl

I agree it got really boring. Now, maybe she will focus on real issues and get her stock price to go up, so that I can recoup some of my losses.
    Am retired and invested when she was in 'legal' trouble figure that would show support. Boy, did I miscalculate! Good luck Martha in getting your buisness 'mojo' back!

January 7, 2012 at 2:59 am | Report abuse |
  14. Nanci

My friends and I have enjoyed this show everyday for years....we tape the shows on our DVR's when we are not home. We will miss seeing her show daily. She has great celebrities on the show, the cooking segments are fantastic. I hope Hallmark will do something to keep her on T.V. In some way.

January 7, 2012 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  15. TeeTee

Martha Stewart's show was dry and boring. She was boring and every guess she had on the show was boring. I couldn't stand that my remote would default to her channel in the mornings. She's an old crabby patty.

January 6, 2012 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  16. cynthia

I wish Martha nothing but the best, I have enjoyed her for years,,,Good Luck in all you do!!!!

January 6, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Vicki Holt

Maybe she is just ready to retire. I would if I had her money. But please....no Alexis Steart show....what a nightmare that would be, LOL!

January 6, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Mary E. Yerby

Just a note to let The Hallmark Channel know that when The Martha Stewart Show and her produced shows go off my Direct TV, So will The Hallmark Channel in my home. I am handicapped due to diabetes and Martha Stewart is a positive part of my daily life.

January 6, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Louise

I agree that she should retire and enjoy her money. Her persona is getting old and that wicked witch of a daughter is just sickening. The baby is cute.

January 6, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  20. TimSul

Ending? That's a good thing.

January 6, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  21. jurby

all can say is "yay!" and "good riddance!".

January 6, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |