What's the verdict on ABC's 'Work It'?
January 4th, 2012

What's the verdict on ABC's 'Work It'?

Given the advance critiques that ABC's cross-dressing comedy "Work It" was not only offensive but also a seeming knock-off of the '80s show' "Bosom Buddies," it's fair to say expectations weren't high when the half-hour sitcom premiered Tuesday night.

The midseason ABC show stars Benjamin Koldyke as Lee Standish, a salesman who's been hunting for another job after his old one with Pontiac went under. As the Chicago Tribune points out, "Money is so tight at home that his daughter has to give up her cell phone, but not so tight that Lee can't buy a few cold ones every night with his pals."

When he overhears a pharmaceutical sales rep say that her company is hiring, he jumps at it - except they don't really hire men. (Doctors want to "nail them" less, the rep says.)

And so Lee hops into women's wear to land the job, eventually bringing his friend Angel (Amaury Nolasco) into the scheme.

Critics have been unwaveringly unimpressed. "My conclusion is sadly as predictable as the sitcom," says Time's James Poniewozik. "'Work It' is...the kind of bad dumb show you will use in years to come as a benchmark for other bad sitcoms."

Both USA Today and the New York Daily News found that the show's resistance to having the two men dress believably as women blocked whatever wit or commentary on gender issues the show could have had.

"With its references to a 'man-cession' and its contrast between 'manly men' and 'sensitive women,' there are times when 'Work It' seems to be trying to comment on gender issues," says USA Today. "But for those times to register, the show has to make you believe someone could actually mistake these two men for women, a step 'Work It' is too inept or cowardly to take."

It was bad enough to almost inspire a little pity from Entertainment Weekly's Ken Tucker. "There's no denying this one lousy sitcom," he says. "The kindest interpretation to give 'Work It' is that its premise is also operating in the real world that surrounds it: That in our poor economy, even good actors have to take the work that they can get...I say this without sarcasm: Good luck to the 'Work It' cast."

Meanwhile, star Amaury Nolasco is asking viewers to give the show another chance. "Thank you all for watching "Work It" last night. Meant the world to me. Trust me, when I say it gets even better. I promise!" he tweeted Wednesday.

Did you catch the "Work It" premiere? What did you think?

Filed under: television

1. Wendy

This is a very funny show. It entertained me. I am sick of those "reality"shows with their fake vulgar "stars".

January 14, 2012 at 3:08 am | Report abuse |
  2. lala

Well. Trying to search for a single wealthy educated man or beautiful woman for a date, fun or marriage? Go to __W ea lth y cha t s . c o m_____ to figure it out?

January 6, 2012 at 3:02 am | Report abuse |
  3. Rena

Show is VERY funny. I don't care if it is a remake. It is VERY funny. If you don' t like it, don't watch it. Bosom Buddies
    was not this funny. Good, fun. No screaming Housewives or Kardashians. A perfectly entertaining show.

January 5, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. The Mattson 2

Best twin brother act EVER
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBnVbC00Is0&w=640&h=390]

January 5, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mac

It's not great, but it's a thousand times better than that Whitney crap.

January 5, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. jnine

I actually liked it – but that's the best thing about variety on T.V. and freedom in America....for those of us who DID like the show can watch and enjoy it....those who do not like it, can find something else to watch on one of the other hundred channels to choose from. Let's face it, no network, channel or T.V. sitcom is going to be watched or liked by ALL.....leave it on. Most normal people who work all day and then go home to watch T.V. do not have the time to notify the networks of their opinions of a show. Those who hate seem to have all the time in the world to make sure the negative is heard.

January 5, 2012 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  7. TV Fan

With ABC airing garbage like this, CBS will continue to dominate Tuesday night in the ratings. NCIS, NCIS LA, and Unforgettable have nothing to worry about for the forseeable future. NBC and FOX aren't going to top CBS on Tuesday night either.

January 5, 2012 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  8. lucy

January 5, 2012 at 3:27 am | Report abuse |
  9. Shad

Complete Crap.
    For a minute or two I was mesmerized by its idiocy. Then I woke up and decided to stare at the cat clean herself.

January 4, 2012 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  10. FredErick Montreal

By the time all the comments are posted on the CNN forum, this show will be cancelled.

What IDIOT executive at ABC gave this lame show the green light?
    They should be out seeking new employement along with all the cast members & production staff involved with this horribly bad so called comedy.

January 4, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Hollywood Rob

I watched the show last night and found it to be pretty decent. I think it has potential to get better it was better than sitting there watching Celebrity Wife Swap they was down right dreadful.

January 4, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jeff

Actually, and I seem to be in the minority here, I enjoyed the show. I found myself laughing through a good majority of it. People just need to lighten up – it is a comedy for crying out loud. And for the most part, I found it comedic. I'll have no problem watching it...

January 4, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Greg

It was OK at best....I'd be willing to give it another couple watches before making up my mind completely. It wasn't as painful to watch as "How to Act Like A Gentleman" or whatever that worthless show was this past fall. I'm hoping it works though, loved seeing John Caparulo on a TV Show!

January 4, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Captain Slapaho

If I had to choose between watching another episode or being physically beaten for thirty minutes, I would have to sit down and think it over.

January 4, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  15. freddy

I was expecting a real Bad show due to the previews, but I was not all that disappointed. If the writing gets better this may survive the rest of the season, but the writing has to be better. We also have to get used to new actors that we are not familiar with as well. on a scale of 1-10, I would give it a 5

January 4, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Observer

Liberal.
    Garbage.

January 4, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Carla

I agree with Darcy. Why can't we just have a little fun and stop analyzing everything to death?

January 4, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Osama Bin Hidin

What a waste of time and tv money...might as well have real life gladiator fights...MAXIMUS..MAXIMUS...MAXIMUS!!

January 4, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Darcy

I ended up watching the show and hoping for a train wreck, however I was pleasantly surprised. It was light, slapstick humor that could mindlessly be enjoyed and sometimes that is all we need.

January 4, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Willie Wonka

well..well...something tells me that you and Ron Paul smoke doobies behind the school gym after recess...

January 4, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Diana

I agree with Darcy. I had no intention of watching, but happened to come across it while channel surfing. While it is absolutely unrealistic, it actually was funny. I understand that some Puerto Ricans were offended by Angel's comment about selling drugs, but hopefully most of us are educated and intelligent enough to know that Puerto Rican does not equal drug dealer.

January 5, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  20. BBBaby

What I am wondering is what I have even before the show came on: "Who lost a bet to who" or "What kind of blackmail pictures has someone got of what executive" to force the greenlighting of this show? Those are the only scenarios I can think of that would have possibly have allowed this show to hit the airwaves at all because no TV executive in the world is that dumb.

January 4, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Marie

Bosom Buddies was funny and great in it's time but this is just BAD and needs to be cancelled immediately!!!

January 4, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

Bosom Buddies did have a young Tom Hanks and Holland Taylor in its favor! One thing about Bosom Buddies is that they revealed that they were men dressed as women at the beginning of the second season. Long story short, it didn't get a third.

January 14, 2012 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  22. shopping cart

Them lesbeans are odd folks. Look like guys in ladies clothes to me. Maybe they are gay lesbeans. Thats the worst kind. They are scary and are sometimes mean. I guess them eating dooo doooo makes em that way.

January 4, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  23. shopping cart

I think it is a doooodoooo show. A doo doo show. For lesbeans.

January 4, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  24. ohbrother123

Sorry I just could not bring myself to watch this piece of dribble...........the original wasn't all that great either.

January 4, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  25. kevinnyc

I felt like I had taken a crazy pill. The idea that the men were being taken seriously as women was so absurd I kept looking around my room for the hidden camera. Where is Ashton Kutcher? Clearly I'm being Punked?!

January 4, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  26. Sly Sadie

It seems to me that Hollywood is just plain out of ideas for new concepts for shows or movies. How many remakes does it take to prove that fact. I have to admit that I did not watch the show, so I can't comment on that. Just really getting sick of all the remakes, because they usually aren't as good as the original.

January 4, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |