Taylor Swift, Amanda Seyfried offered 'Les Mis' roles?
January 4th, 2012

Taylor Swift, Amanda Seyfried offered 'Les Mis' roles?

Taylor Swift is said to have been among those in the running for the role of Eponine in director Tom Hooper's adaptation of "Les Miserables," and now reports say that she's been offered the part.

If earlier whispers were true, that would mean Swift edged out competition from Lea Michele, Scarlett Johansson and Evan Rachel Wood.

BroadwayWorld.com suggests that she's expected to sign on for the role, and that official cast announcements should arrive soon.

Another possible cast member is Amanda Seyfried, who is said to have been offered the role of Cosette. Anne Hathaway, Hugh Jackman, Helena Bonham Carter and Russell Crowe are already on board.

Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. Alyssa

as much as I love and adore Taylor, her voice is not powerful enough to sing On My Own.......she fits into pop country genre.

February 11, 2012 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
  2. Heidi

Amanda Seyfried is portraying Cosette, not Eponine. Samantha Barks got the role of Eponine. Taylor isn't in the cast.

February 6, 2012 at 3:36 am | Report abuse |
  3. CaseyB

Very happy with Tom Hooper's choice of Samantha Barks for Eponine. You may not have heard of her, but she's a great singer and far and away more fitting for the role than any of the (sorry to say, charmless) actresses/singers mentioned above. Apart from Russell Crowe (what WERE they thinking?) the rest of the casting is pretty good, and much more credible now they've got the right Eponine for what is one of the most important characters in the story. She needs to be played by someone with sensitivity, not a vacuous Hollywood starlet.

February 1, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  4. CaseyB

Very happy with Tom Hooper's choice of Brit Samantha Barks for Eponine. You may not have heard of her, but she's a great singer and far and away more fitting for the role than any of the (sorry to say, charmless) actresses/singers mentioned above. Apart from Russell Crowe (what WERE they thinking?) the rest of the casting is pretty good, and much more credible now they've got the right Eponine for what is one of the most important characters in the story. She needs to be played by someone with sensitivity, not a vacuous Hollywood starlet.

February 1, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  5. darryn

Taylor Swift is a horrible choice. The girl is a talented singer for what she does, but the role of Eponine requires much more strength in vocals as well as a strong presence. Eponine is not a "cute" role. Given that Swift butchered her past on screen performance in Valentine's Day (a dreadful movie) I truly can't expect that anything will be different. It's not too late to choose talent over popularity.

January 31, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Terry Sweeten

Taylor Swift's grandmother was an opera singer......She is a very talented young woman gets better with every album she puts out..She has done many good works.....already to be so very young...I say great...and I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised....She can do anything. I saw her singing with Def Leppard an 80's rock band and it was very good...She had done rap and country and pop and acting and everything she does is good. And what I like about her the most is she is a very hard worker and does not stop trying to learn new things and she has a fan base that follow her because she is so versatile in her career.....You might not like her singing but for each one of you that do not there are a million that do...It is the fans that count in entertainment and if a few don't like oh well....My only concern is that she stay true to herself...She is a good role model for young girls...

January 28, 2012 at 3:40 am | Report abuse |
  7. Kelly

Eu amo as musicas de Amanda!! I love u Amanda ♥

January 27, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. alli

I hope this is just a rumor and Taylor Swift is not really playing the part. What
    a let down this would be.

January 25, 2012 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  9. D WIZZY

OK IDC REALY CARE BUT THEY BOTH ARE HOT

January 25, 2012 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  10. bill

January 24, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jackie

Taylor Swift has no business being in any rendition of a broadway musical.

January 24, 2012 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  12. eponine is tough!

Taylor Swift does not have the presence for Eponine. Cosette...much better fit!!!! Put Amanda Seyfried as Eponine!!!!!

January 23, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. hunnicupp

I was excited about this movie until this news...Taylor Swift can't sing worth anything. It's a good things it's not a live performance she'd be off tune and pitchy. Oh well, another movie with bad casting. What else is new?

January 18, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  14. sergito74

This movie is headed for disaster. Its overloaded with "stars." This will be the Cleopatra of musicals.

January 11, 2012 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Soljagurl

I hope its just singing because Taylor was a HORRIBLE actress in Valentines Day.

January 11, 2012 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  16. Jo

Eponine with a twang, really???? My favorite show ruined.

January 10, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Jess

Lea Michele was born to play Eponine! Taylor could play Cosette, but not Eponine.

January 10, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Elisabeth Heartwrench

Elisabeth is ruined she comes on at eleven. Please somebody save the womb. Please please please.

January 9, 2012 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  19. lucy

Well. Trying to search for a single wealthy educated man or beautiful woman for a date, fun or marriage? Go to __W ea lth y cha t s . c o m_____ to figure it out?

January 6, 2012 at 3:00 am | Report abuse |
  20. The Mattson 2

Best Twin Brother Act Ever
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBnVbC00Is0&w=640&h=390]

January 5, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  21. tom

OMG...these Hollywood execs only pick people to make these musicals based on name and what they feel is an audience draw. Case in point...Natalie Wood in West Side Story (doesn't sing a note) and Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady. They were both dubbed by the wonderful Marnie Nixon who never received any mention of her voice or contribution. Taylor swift can't carry a tune in a bucket...but an extra million people will go to see this freaky eyed thing in the movie.

January 5, 2012 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  22. Jessica

Taylor swift is amazing at everything she does you are all a buncha haters

January 5, 2012 at 4:16 am | Report abuse |
    • kathy

Sorry Jessica...don't know if you're 13 or 14yrs old but everyone above are correct...she may be a talented songwriter but the girl cannot sing..it's painful to listen to her live.

January 5, 2012 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
    • SoljaGurl

is half and half with you. I like her singing but her acting SUCKS lol

January 11, 2012 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
  23. NO

Taylor Swift doesn't have the vocal training for that role. She can barely sing live as it is. If she seriously has the part you know it will be computerized and fake

January 5, 2012 at 2:13 am | Report abuse |
  24. cydonia

EPIC FAIL

January 4, 2012 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Jess

Looks like the fans of Les Mes are not happy with the casting decisions. Casting crew should really look at responses from fans because this movie really should be made for them and not Taylor Swift fans. Movie musicals should be cast with talent in mind, not popularity.

January 4, 2012 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Always

Lea Michele sang "On my Own" in the 1st episode of Glee. It was great! I wonder if they thought that she already did the Eponine part and was therefore passed over. I hope she still gets it though, because Taylor Swift's voice doesn't fit.

January 4, 2012 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  27. geo

Swift will ruin the whole movie!!! What a bad bad! choice! She can only sing monotone songs she writes. They all sound the same BAD!!!!!

January 4, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  28. claire march

Congrat to Taylor and Amanda!!!!! You guys must have rocked the auditions. Mr. Hooper knows how to cast a movie. Cant wait to see it.

January 4, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  29. xjdavid

@tracie: What Girlie said. Well, except that I've been coming here for a while and I KNOW you're a real pig.

January 4, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Girlie

Tracie – you sound like a real pig.

January 4, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Nancy

After the horrible casting for the film version of "Rock of Ages" nothing surprises me these days.

January 4, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Jordan

Taylor Swift is not a good singer. She can entertain, but she cannot sing. If she is offered this role these casters are nuts!!!

January 4, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  33. guess who?

It's bad enough she sings her own music (and not well). She really ought to butcher this. Besides, I didn't know that Les Mis was about how a boyfriend did you wrong. What a waste....

January 4, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  34. be quiet

I was very excited to see this movie, until now. Taylor Swift? Are you kidding me?!! I'll be skipping it now...I don't think I could handle hearing Eponine with auto tune.

January 4, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • B

I agree. I was really excited about this movie when Hugh Jackman signed on, a little less excited when Anne Hathaway signed up, a little less excited when Russel Crowe signed on, but now I'm not going to see it. Taylor Swift cannot sing without a lot of electronic help and manipulation (which I'm sure they will do in the movie), whereas Lea Michele has real singing talent. At most, Taylor can bring the waifish urchin look to the role.

January 5, 2012 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  35. Stephanie

Amanda Seyfried is an operatically trained singer so her playing Cosette isn't a stretch but the idea of Taylor Swift getting the role of Eponine makes me sick to my stomach (especially over Lea Michele, whom I saw on Broadway in Spring Awakening and was simply brilliant). That character requires the singer to vocally take charge and own it, something Taylor doesn't have the ability to do. I hope I will be pleasantly surprised otherwise the the whole movie will be ruined.

January 4, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thomas

Taylor has "owned" everything she's ever done, I can't imagine her sucking in a film. She is quite simply, an all-star human being. If she takes this role, she will put everything she has into it, and I could almost guarantee she would steal the show.

January 8, 2012 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sandy

I* agree 100% , I have never liked Taylor, Amanda was wonderful in Moma Mia, I know there is no comparison, but she the one. Great voice, and would carry the part beautifuly

January 15, 2012 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Amy

Maybe Taylor threatened to write a song about how mean the director was if he didn't give her the part.

January 21, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Gail

What a horrid choice the girl can't stay on pitch that long and does not have a strong voice or talen!!!!

January 4, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Max in RI

It's all about getting the biggest stars for the roles, not who is a better choice.

January 4, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Louie

They will be dubbing plenty for Taylor. She can't sing without some major tweeking.

January 4, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Koop

Lea Michelle is the obviously the right person for Eponine and not Taylor. As for Cosette, the role calls for someone with an almost operatic singing voice but I guess they can dub in the singing for Amanda.

January 4, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  40. carrieanne

This should be interesting

January 4, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Lynara

What a ridiculous choice! This is one of my favorite musicals and she does not have the voice for Eponine. I will definitely not pay to see this movie if she's signed. Russel Crowe being cast as Javert was about all I could take.

January 4, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Richard Fore

I'd like to see the two of them in Les-bian roles together, that would get my attention.

January 4, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

ditto
      I mean I wouldnt give them any money or anything but I would still watch

January 5, 2012 at 5:44 am | Report abuse |
  43. alicat

love taylor swift but i just can't picture her in the role of Eponine...dont know if she's got the pipes for on my own

January 4, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • les

You don't have to be a good singer to make a movie that is a musical. Some guy in a music studio will push some buttons and presto, you sound good. Taylor Swift sounds great in her vidoes, doesn't she? Problem solved....

January 10, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sandy

I think they should make remake of west side story with Emmy Rossum. Remember Phantam of the Opera? I was thinking when Les Mis was starting to talk that Emmy would be a sure thing.

January 15, 2012 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |