'Celebrity Wife Swap': Ted Haggard and Gary Busey switch partners
January 4th, 2012

'Celebrity Wife Swap': Ted Haggard and Gary Busey switch partners

When I heard that Ted Haggard was doing ABC’s “Celebrity Wife Swap,” I thought two things: First, that it was a gimmick. And secondly, that it could get interesting. It turns out my second thought was right on the money.

On Monday, a celebrity version premiered, with stars taking the place of the average Joe. Monday's episode featured actress Tracey Gold and singer Carnie Wilson, and on Tuesday, perhaps the oddest switch in the reality show's history occurred: Disgraced pastor Ted Haggard and actor Gary Busey.

Ted Haggard’s wife Gayle went to live with Gary Busey and Busey’s baby boy, while Busey’s fiancée Steffanie went to live in the Haggard home with Ted and his older children.

Before we can even get to Ted Haggard’s wife, we get a flashback to his fall from grace amidst a scandal that destroyed him for a while, and we see the Haggards discuss what happened and why his wife stayed.

Then, flash-forward to the swap: Gayle Haggard starts out by entering the home and reading the instructions that Gary’s fiancée left behind about the family. As Gayle reads it and learns about the Busey household, Busey emerges and tells viewers: “I’m Gary Busey. Prepare for the worst. Prepare for the best! And expect the unexpected.”

I’m going to say that the moments where Gayle and Gary were together were probably the funniest moments of the show. At one point, Gary tried to convince Gayle that he's had many past lives, including being a Native American and fighting at the Alamo. Gayle patiently listens, but you can tell she is a little surprised. In most of the interactions, we learned that Gayle is kind and beyond patient, while Gary is unpredictable but loving.

When Steffanie entered the Haggard household, she learned about Ted’s previous scandal and almost instantly felt compassion. But the most important moment of the interaction we saw between Ted and Steffanie arrived when the topic turned to gay marriage.

Steffanie asked Ted if his church was welcoming to the gay community, to which Ted said, “We welcome everybody to our church.”

She followed up by asking him if he believed in gay marriage. Ted responded, “We are hesitant on gay marriage because of the semantics, but we are for civil unions!”

Then Steffanie replied, “I’m not going to dance around the words. I believe two people who love each other should have the right to be married. And have all the benefits that a married couple have.” Away from Ted, Steffanie admitted she believed that Ted couldn't speak freely because of his position, and that he has to say what he thinks the public wants to hear.

Another watershed moment in the Haggard household happened when Steffanie held a family meeting with Ted and three of his children. It was supposed to be a meeting with the family, but it turned into a major blowup between two of his older kids. They bickered over whether their father spends enough time with them individually, and it was refreshing to see them let their guard down and be real. An awkward moment, but that's what makes good reality TV.

At the end, the significant others reunited again. Ted Haggard talked religion with Gary Busey and his fiancée, and offered his services should they decide to marry in a church. (Can you imagine Haggard marrying Gary and Steffanie? That might bring in even more viewers than this edition of “Celebrity Wife Swap.”)

What did you think of last night's episode?

1. RadioEuforia

Thanks for any other informative web site. Where else could I get that kind of information written in such a perfect way? I've a venture that I am just now operating on, and I've been at the look out for such information.

March 2, 2013 at 3:19 am | Report abuse |
  2. wendy

Gosh, I liked the show. I thought the end part about resurrecting was significant and very cool. Can't the people in charge of the comments take out the offensive ones, like the first one? Makes me not take this article or the comments seriously.

January 9, 2012 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
  3. Diana

Worst Wife Swap Ever! (Busey – Haggard), maybe stick with the "non-actors"... it's a much better show without the so called "celebrities".

January 5, 2012 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Henry

When Steffanie was browsing the Haggard's home she came upon the Ten Commandments and said; "definately Christian". I thought Steffanie was of the Jewish faith and would know where we get the Ten Commandments from.

January 5, 2012 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  5. herry

Hello. Come to http://www.Wealthychats.com, to look for some rich guys or beautiful girls.

January 5, 2012 at 3:37 am | Report abuse |
  6. cathey

Dang. Gayle is an amazing woman. She is tough in a real sweet way.
    The others....meh.....interesting enough.
    Gayle though....wow.

January 4, 2012 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Temperance

What amazing souls! The humility and graciousness of all of them! A Healing took place!

January 4, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Gen. Patton

tracie...my dog just sent me a text and was wondering if you are available next week...he has invited Ron Paul to smoke some doobies behind the school gym....plus he just broke wind too....

January 4, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Sly Sadie

@Madtown- I'd watch that one, too! lol...

January 4, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Madtown

I would gladly and faithfully watch "Celebrity B!tch Slap", if such a show existed.

January 4, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Patty

"If you're not familiar with the "Wife Swap" of yore, it used to take normal, not-so-famous people and have them switch households."

Normal? Maybe the writer isn't familiar with the original Wife Swap. I once saw an episode where the family thought they were pirates.

January 4, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  12. carrieanne

I love Gary Busey! Hes such a nut case and sooo entertaining to watch but I missed it last night and would have loved to see it!

January 4, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Madtown

Busey should try and get on the ballot for the New Hampshire Republican primary. He'd fit right in with that crew, and be a natural.

January 4, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Sly Sadie

Hi Evel! lol.. I didn't watch the show, but the idea of Gary Busey & Ted Haggard in the same room talking about religion just seems so bizarre! That must have been some conversation.

January 4, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Evel Knievel

Did Haggard's wife turn Busey ghey, too?

January 4, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |