Lady Gaga to help drop New Year's ball
December 29th, 2011

Lady Gaga to help drop New Year's ball

Lady Gaga has been inescapable for 2011, so it makes sense that she'll also be on hand to help us draw this year to a close.

The New Yorker will be back in town on New Year's Eve as Mayor Bloomberg's special guest, a spokesperson for the mayor tells CNN.

Although he's never met the "Born This Way" singer, Bloomberg said at a press conference Wednesday that he's seen Gaga in action and found her to be "a great entertainer," the New York Daily News reports.

Gaga is expected to perform, but she's also been tasked with another duty: Pushing the button to signal the ball drop in Times Square at 11:59 p.m. ET.

"I saw her once perform at the museum, the Metropolitan Museum, " Bloomberg said. "I do not know her personally, and I'm looking forward to it."

Filed under: Celebrities • Lady Gaga • Music

1. Ken

Hi Cnn, first off i really love your broadcasting for the 2012 new years eve coverage also Anderson Cooper is a great guy BUT what i really don't really like about the show is where i have to feel uncomfortable whenever Kathy griffin makes a random remarks and her lame jokes it is not funny! Sometimes i feel really awkward and want to change the channel but I love Anderson Cooper and so i have to sit there and bare the Kathy griffin pain. So for my sake and everyones next year can you get a better co-host. Thanks Ken

January 1, 2012 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. DON

Of all the people in NEW YORK why couldnt they find a street walker to do this,WAIT they did!

December 31, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  3. Rahul

The most beautiful woman on earth is Paris Hilton.

December 30, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. The Måd Råp3r

I would still bend her over and do it in the butt while i play with her balls. a hole is a hole after all. just call me a ss man

December 30, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. david joel

Awesome love GAGA ! Can't wait to watch now !

December 30, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  6. Johnny 5

The new year is already off to a bad start. Bloomberg will be stricken with the dry heaves on national television. Lady..HUghhh...Gaga...HUghh...HUghh....cut please.

December 30, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  7. Rochelle B.101

oooookkkkkkkkaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy lol

December 30, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  8. joy owhor

Gaga is off d hook..sum1 responsible shud do it...shez so irresponsible..gosh can't they see that she sucks?

December 30, 2011 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  9. xav

hope her head could burst!

December 30, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  10. mkenya

And also please, spelling spelling...what is metal of honor? Even me a foreigner can tell a Medal of Honor from a metal!

December 30, 2011 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  11. mkenya

I won't miss it for the world! Lady G, surprise me with your outfit pls.

December 30, 2011 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  12. mkenya

Also, don't forget this is the world we live in, the more weird, intriguing the better. Normal is no longer interesting.

December 30, 2011 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  13. mkenya

Oh dear, why are people so hateful? It's not like you would drop the ball if Gaga wasn't doing it. Geeeez!

December 30, 2011 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  14. santaybrown

Woooooooo
    I love dis

December 30, 2011 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  15. Down, down, down she goes

I'll watch if she goes down on the ball. It won't be the first thing she goes down on this NY Eve.

December 30, 2011 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  16. AnnieCee

After seeing her on American Idol, I don't think she has an ounce of talent for singing or dancing. Her costumes are cunning and she's almost photogenic. She has a flair for being outrageous, but it's not the kind of outrageous flair that I would want my kids to see or admire. I really don't understand why she's popular.

December 30, 2011 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  17. saftgek

Genuine cultural justice would be served if "the ball" drops on the head of this exploitive, sorry soul. She is a cancer on the entertainment world – along w/rappers and hip-hoppers! Even country is more passable than the aforementioned, and country is absolute crap!

December 30, 2011 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |
  18. nini

why not AISHA KHAN the girl who was missing , she deserves not lady gaga

December 30, 2011 at 7:06 am | Report abuse |
  19. Alfredo Adriano Bautista

thanks to cnn and happy new year and sorry i forget something ln my last txt.
    no coment 4now atleas i know whats going on again??? thats why im not feeling good to express my coment 4now . mahalo and God Bless...

December 30, 2011 at 5:53 am | Report abuse |
  20. Michael Brooks

This Lady GaGa character is demonic. It is the Satanic Illuminati's spokesman and cheerleader.
    Look at all the Illuminati and New World Order Symbolism. Listen to her backwards lyrics.
    Pure Satanism!

December 30, 2011 at 5:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Doomsday is upon us

ARRRGGGHH! – King's X – Quick Maude, get the garlic cloves – [in other words, "Pftttt"]

December 30, 2011 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  21. 雪人

She is young!but now she is famous all over the world!good choice!

December 30, 2011 at 5:10 am | Report abuse |
  22. I agree..@4:40

..it's not as though one is writing a book report or what have you. I guess some people would nit-pick at anything when you don't agree with they point of view.

December 30, 2011 at 4:51 am | Report abuse |
  23. michele

In a blog i dont think it matters if you spell correctly or not. people come on here and read articles just for something to do. i know i do it just to pass the time

December 30, 2011 at 4:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Eat Mor Chik'n

Spelling doesn't matter? You're just one more sign of our decaying society.

December 30, 2011 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  24. Qu£€n ¤₹ §w@g ¿

Dumba** commentz:-D

December 30, 2011 at 3:41 am | Report abuse |
  25. @David

Why is that? lmao

December 30, 2011 at 3:07 am | Report abuse |
  26. David

Instead of saying "Happy New Year!", I'm going to say "We're all going to die!"

December 30, 2011 at 2:46 am | Report abuse |
  27. carolee kunz

People need to grow up you are just mad because your not the ones that are famous when you make the amount of money she does the open your big mouths til then get over your self.

December 30, 2011 at 2:23 am | Report abuse |
  28. carolee kunz

I find her kinda weird but thats what we all love about her you go gaga.

December 30, 2011 at 2:12 am | Report abuse |
  29. Beefburger

At exactly midnight she will raise her skirt and show you that there are 2 balls to drop.

December 30, 2011 at 2:07 am | Report abuse |
  30. Rahul

I'm not thrusting my morals on you. Just read this forum. Most 'Americans' hate her. I think I'm the only immigrant here. By the way, I attended medical school, shower every day, and live in a big house. What are you smoking?

December 30, 2011 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
  31. Veeee

@Art about Terry... HaHa "metal" that's funny. And so is "Afganastan" and "Cheata". LOL!

December 30, 2011 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Art

It's hilarious! You hit it right on the head when you said learn to spell and use proper grammar if you're going to say anything on here. I see a pattern here – all the people that dont have anything good to say cant spell or use proper grammar. LOL!

December 30, 2011 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
  32. KingV

I want just one New Years without seeing the Black Eyed Peas, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, etc..........NOOOOOOOOOOO MORE!

December 30, 2011 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  33. Rahul

@ Art I think you're wrong. We Indians (and Asians in general) are taking away all the white collar jobs you fat idiots can't do. We make more money, we pay more taxes and this is our country.

December 30, 2011 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Art

Indians and Asians in general are good people that dont thrust their so-called "morals and ethics" on other people. You on the other hand are not one of them...LOL, I bet you stink too, dont you. LOL! Keep coding my sweatshop immigrant – we have you exactly where we want your narrow minded self. HAHA!

December 30, 2011 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
  34. Veeee

Geez, I wish you folks would learn to spell and express yourselves with proper grammar...especially those of you that don't have anything nice to say. Why do you even bother to read the articles (let alone make a comment) about subject matter and people you don't like?? It makes no sense. Anyway...everyone have a very Happy New Year! :-)

December 30, 2011 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
  35. Erin

She's a weird one

December 30, 2011 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  36. terry

Why not let some one like a metal of Honor holder, some on who served in Iraq or Afganastan, or a more deserving person have that honor. Lady Gaga? give me a break. To bad Cheata died , he could have had done it.

December 30, 2011 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Art

METAL?? of Honor...? LOL. Dude, where'd you go to school?? LOL – bet you were HOME SCHOOLED weren't you! LOL

December 30, 2011 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  37. donna

WOW LADY GAGA,can't wait till 2011 is over! Hope we have someone to really admire in 2012!

December 29, 2011 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  38. the grind

i'm guessing this will be on dick clark show... who cares to ring in the new year watchin this on tv? get out and celebrate!

December 29, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  39. ang

The correct phrase is if u don't have anything nice to say come sit next to me lmao

December 29, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  40. infamous C

Maybe, just maybe when she pushes the button she'll explode into a dusty cloud of avon and chicken nuggets.

December 29, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  41. laon

That was stupid.. -_-

December 29, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  42. laon

woowww..... :P

December 29, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Kamranraps

Check out the RAP taking you through the events of 2011: http://youtu.be/E7DOIBTAvHE

December 29, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  44. sound

Well happy new year to the rest of you.

December 29, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Steve-O

TL;DR
    So...by "ball" in the context of this article, and with regards to person in question, we're talking testicle, correct?

December 29, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  46. janedoe

guess I wont be watching. cant stand him/her/it

December 29, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Rahul

If Gaga is dropping the ball, you can kiss goodbye to American morals and ethics.

December 29, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Art

Hey @Rahul, go back to India where they still burn widows alive in the name of tradition – are those the morals and ethics you speak of?

December 30, 2011 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
  48. 2012

@Randall Rodd: Makes me wonder why you would even read and comment on this article in which you claim she is "sick", "dog ugly" and has "zero talent". What's the old saying? If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all.

December 29, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Randall Rodd

THis woman is sick and shame on those who let her get away with this silliness. In her case, I can see why she dresses up...she is dog ugly and has zero talent, so she diverts away from what makes a star a star. What a waste of time to even cover her.

December 29, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • AMcCaffrey

But she's raking it in – which I guess makes her pretty darn talented in the brains department.

December 29, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

@AMcCaffrey...The fact that she's raking it in doesn't make her talented...It just means there are lots of morons out there willing to shell out their money to this loonatic.

December 29, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lindsi

Its just because she makes more money than you gives to charities and isnt hurting anyone wow she seems like the worst person on our earth but there are criminels out there and you comment about her im sorry but she is nothing but a girl nothing more who deserves to be.thanked once in a while for what.she.does

December 29, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Art

The most talented performer of our times that isn't caught doing drugs and actually gives more to charity than most of her peers – and yet some people dont have anything good to say about her. What a dumb a**!

December 30, 2011 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
  50. GhostColin

Her music isn't my style, but she actually does a whole lot of charity work with kids and really, I can't slag off someone who does good by the little ones.

December 29, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  51. jim

LADY BARFBAG LMAO

December 29, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Jimmy Crack Corn

Every time I see a picture of Lady Gaga she makes me want to punch a baby. She looks ridiculous and the media shoves her down our throat. Our species is flushing itself down a toilet.

December 29, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Colin in Florida

What has she ever done to you? She is a talented musician and performer. Tony Bennett recently said that he expects her to become as important as Elvis to music. I suspect he knows more about music and musical talent than you.

December 29, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Art

Hey CrackMan, if we flush you down the toilet, we will average-UP the human gene pool significantly. LOL

December 30, 2011 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
  53. ba ba booie

Bring it on baby. Marry the night

December 29, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Mad Rap3er

To bad I don't have any balls to drop.

December 29, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  55. LDS lady

gosh

December 29, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Mqyor

Yea ha ha ha right.

December 29, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Sly Sadie

@Mad- now, that was funny!

December 29, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  58. The Måd Råp3r

I hope he drops both balls.

December 29, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  59. portalpunk

i'm gaga over being FIRSTY!!!!!

December 29, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |