Wahlberg talks casting Bieber in basketball drama
December 28th, 2011

Wahlberg talks casting Bieber in basketball drama

As was mentioned in April, Justin Bieber is set to star opposite Mark Wahlberg in an as-yet-unnamed basketball drama.

But why did he cast the Biebs, who doesn’t have film acting experience? “Intuition,” Wahlberg tells MTV News.

Wahlberg, 40, made the amazing jump from fluffy hip-hop sensation to serious actor, and apparently he has faith that the 17-year-old entertainer can do the same.

"I see the guy and spent time with him, and you see what he does and how he does it, and then you actually have a conversation with him, and it's there,” Wahlberg said of the “Under the Mistletoe” singer. “And if not, I will extract it."

The sports movie centers on “an old guy and a young guy," and Wahlberg initially thought he was playing the younger role, even suggesting Robert De Niro as his co-star.

“And they go, 'What about Garrett Hedlund?'” he recalled of his conversation with Paramount. “I'm like, 'For what?' They're like, 'For the young guy.'"

Once he realized the casting criteria, Wahlberg opted for the baby-faced Canadian over the "Country Strong" star. "Wait till you see me and Bieber in the flick," the actor said. "Think of, like, 'The Color of Money.'"

« Previous entry
  1. Bryan

I love that 40-year-old Wahlberg thought he was supposed to be the young guy. He's a comically stereotypical idiot actor.

December 31, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. james

I like Mark – but he is not Paul Newman and Bieber is in no way Tom Cruise – maybe he didn't see "color of money"...

December 30, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  3. enricogetsschooled

Enrico you sound like either a very bitter and old in the closet gay man or a very young man who likes pretty men and cant stand himself for it. Otherwise why invest so much time bashing a young man that you do not know? Justin B has done more work with charity than many stars 3 times his age. WHAT DO YOU DO to make a difference? Other than sitting in judgement on your computer honey. . .

December 29, 2011 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Enrico

@enricogetsschooled, Really, I am getting schooled by you, please, grow up, shut up, and F off. I am not bitter, just can not stand this little creep Justine! I could care less about your gossip re: his cahritable works, it is all BS. He can not hold a candle to anyone. He is a spoiled little girly boy. And you need to stop pretending you somehow know him, worked with him, are his closeted boyfriend, whatever you are. It is you, Honey, sitting in judgement of me simply because I can not stand your hero! Get over your self.

December 30, 2011 at 6:34 am | Report abuse |
  4. DeShawn B.

@Enrico,OH! OkAy!..@Ben,I APOLOGIZE..But also @Enrico,JUSTIN Is Still filthy rich!He bought his Best friend A mustang for Christmas He does care what YOU think about him!! LOSER!. >:-(

December 29, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Enrico

@DeShawn B, Justine is your hero because he is rich and bought his best friend (probably his boy friend lover) a mustang. Wow, you are as simple as your name makes out you to be. Loser, perhaps you were talking of yourself!

December 30, 2011 at 6:38 am | Report abuse |
  5. derp

Whalberg must have lost his mind. Why on earth would you cast a prepubescent lesb ian Canadian as an American basketball player?

December 29, 2011 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  6. whatever

Not a bieb fan. But you people are just sad. He's a kid. Get over yourself.

December 29, 2011 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  7. Timme62

What is she going to play??? Head cheerleader?

December 29, 2011 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  8. BustinJieber

And it was Michael Jackson who was into little boys not Tupac.

December 29, 2011 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
  9. Aron P

Wow. I am in agreement. You guy are really something. Trashing that young man. Justin has work hard to get where he is. As someone who has worked with him the past 3 years he gets up everyday and puts in 15 hour days. Stop being so mean and disrespectful just because Justin is successful. As for those who say fan base will fade with time. Well take the time to look at Elvis and the Beatles whos fan base was mostly little girls. Same for muddy walters, same for 2 Pac who was adored by little boys. I mean I understand all those being hateful are just being jealous. But its the holidays. Just stop. Thank You. And I wish you all a very happy holiday season.

December 29, 2011 at 6:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Enrico

@AronP, yes dear, we believe you worked with her for three years, and yes, we believe she put in 15 hour days (child labor much), get real you simp! Would I like his/her money, sure, anyone would, but jealous of him/her, no sorry, can't stand the little talent less bint. And for you to compare him/her to Elvis and the Beatles, really, are you serious. Can you be any dumber? Come to think of it, yes you can if you think we believe any of your trash! Now go back to work with little Justine!

December 29, 2011 at 7:39 am | Report abuse |
    • BustinJieber

Comparing this gender confused teeny bopper to the Beatles and Elvis>? You can't be serious can you?

December 29, 2011 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
    • derp

Are f@#$%&g re tarded.

Tupac?

Seriously?

Yeah, I'm sure Beibers little suburbanite tween fan base was kickin it in the hood chugging 40's with Tupac.

Dumb as s

December 29, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  10. observation

The kid can actually play ball. Saw him in an "And One" street game...he was schooling those guys.

December 29, 2011 at 6:48 am | Report abuse |
  11. Leo

Mark is a smart man. He knows the movie will sell with Justin in it. It doesnt matter what the movie about its going to sell.

December 29, 2011 at 6:40 am | Report abuse |
  12. Luke

Monotoned Mark has to b one of the worst actors and singers. He was never hip hop. That was his only way to get into the entertainment biz.

December 29, 2011 at 6:33 am | Report abuse |
  13. DeShawn B.

WOW!,This is an interesting conversation,Here's my input:Justin IS a great entertainer,but I DON'T have "Beiber Fever" or nothing...But a movie would boost sales,True.As far as his girl,thats they business why she dating him or whatever.Finally,honestly im sure he worked hard an deserves everthing he has,and is blessed.*an for Ben or whoever that is saying weird comments please keep them to yourself that DISGUSTING! SHAME ON YOU!

December 29, 2011 at 5:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Enrico

@DeShawn, read much? Ben wasn't saying anything bad, actually he was protecting the little queen as a few posters here have called 'him' a 'her' which I am inclined to call her as well! As far as working hard and deserves his success, really, you think so? He is only successful due to young little girls who think (s)he is fantastic. As these girls grow up, they will see him/her for what (s)he is which is a two bit singer that is about as macho or male as a Barbie doll.

December 29, 2011 at 6:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Panthro

DeShawn B., everyone has their own opinions, and no we won't keep them to ourselves. You're probably just coming out of the closet and that's why you are defending this little p r – c k. I guess everything negative that is said about the Bieber also applies to you...LOL

December 29, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  14. Dee

Sounds like a must see movie to me :s

December 29, 2011 at 3:20 am | Report abuse |
  15. Enrico

I can understand the casting if the story is about a young feminine wannabe coming out of the closet to the basket ball team, but otherwise, no F_ _ _ ing way! That sissy boy only knows how to play with one kind of ball (s)

December 29, 2011 at 3:17 am | Report abuse |
  16. belieber

Mark Wahlberg knows what he is doing casting the biebs...that youngster makes millions cause he got it like that Haha

December 29, 2011 at 2:32 am | Report abuse |
  17. Dr Lulzington

Basketball? Isn't Bieber 4' 7"?

December 29, 2011 at 2:24 am | Report abuse |
  18. LoJenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlJz2ollrR8&w=640&h=390]

December 28, 2011 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Kami

yea I agree Mark wants that teen money from the Bieb fans.

December 28, 2011 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  20. tenneill

I'm sure no one wants bieber to actually die. His career, maybe, but not physically.

December 28, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  21. teri

I think his intuition is good Mark has alot of experience in life.

December 28, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Tina Ames

@nita,as you surely know there are a lot off mean jealous people in the world and they use the internet to vent.I don't think that person wants JB to die,well I hope not.

December 28, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Mrs_Mesha

Wahlberg and Beiber....Think this is goin to call for a good movie...

December 28, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  24. The Gangster Prankster

wait...dont forget leo

December 28, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  25. ladylove

wow..justin bieber? this will be interesting...

December 28, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  26. NyteShayde

This is a guarantee I'll never watch it.

December 28, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  27. nita

Wiw.......what has this kid done to get so many people to hate him? And if you hate him so much, why do you read articals about him? One commenter actually said he wished this kid would dir. That's amazing. You want someone you have never even met before would die. WHY?

December 28, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  28. shaun catron

when is bieber gonna just go away? i wish he would die

December 28, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  29. bob

His out latina gal pal is just using this geek for exposure. He and Wahlpuk outta make it a sixsome with the funky bunch in the Penn St shower with that idiot Sandusky

December 28, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  30. jack

both of those hunks, in the same movie at the same time. wow i cant wait. that will be a great movie.

December 28, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Argle Bargle

Is it a movie about girls basketball?

December 28, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Karen

She will make a great actress in this movie

December 28, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Beautiful Vixen

Mark Wahlberg is hot but I know someone hotter (R.K)..GRRRR!

December 28, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  34. doubleRocker

OK, thats it!! I'm through with Hollywood!!!!
    I will no longer download their movies!

December 28, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  35. itsmemario

They are gonna be playing with balls.

December 28, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  36. itsmemario

I think marky mark is just trying to pick him up.

December 28, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  37. elessaemma

Wow, your blog is so legit!
    I don't think Wahlberg chose Bieber solely because of "intuition": I think his multi-million fan base might also have something to do with it.

December 28, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Panthro

I used to respect Wahlberg and watched most of his movies. If he does this, I'll never watch another one of his movies. That little girl is so overrated and I think it's true that Wahlberg IS just trying to use the Bieb's popularity in his favor. How freaking sad....Oh, and by the way, I can't believe Wahlberg even compares his not yet released POS movie to Tha Color of Money!! Are you serious???

December 29, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  38. alter_ego

I'm not a fan of Bieber, but he actually does have acting experience. He was on an episode or two of one of the CSI shows.

December 28, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sharka Odinsdottir

What...playing a victim?

December 28, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • NyteShayde

No, a perp

December 28, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

I thought I saw beiber in that movie where a girl pretends to be a boy to date some other girl

December 28, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • HollywoodSurF

Oprah & Rosie O'Donnel Feuding?

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4U6AiuE_MY&w=640&h=390]

December 29, 2011 at 1:54 am | Report abuse |
    • alter_ego

I went ahead & looked it up on IMDB. It was CSI: Crime Scene Investigation. He played Jason McCann in two episodes. I remember reading about it when it happened (2010-2011) because he had a dying a scene. I think I remember him getting pretty decent reviews, which is surprising.

December 29, 2011 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |