Musician claims credit for starting Bon Jovi death hoax
December 28th, 2011

Musician claims credit for starting Bon Jovi death hoax

A Pennsylvania man claims he's the reason the Interwebs thought Jon Bon Jovi had died last week.

As Entertainment Weekly reports, musician Jeffrey Goho says in an interview with New Jersey's Asbury Park Press that it was a tweet he sent from his friend's account that launched the widespread Web concern that Bon Jovi had passed on.

(The interview doesn't mention the blog item, which appears to have since been removed, that asserted details for the purported death of the 49-year-old rocker.)

Goho says he started the rumor because he was frustrated that Bon Jovi didn't seem to be focusing his time on music.

"All I heard was 'Bon Jovi this,' 'Bon Jovi's starting a restaurant.' What was the latest one? The Advil commercial? It was like, 'Jeez, [Bon Jovi] was a household name due to music, not business," Goho tells the Asbury Park Press.

Goho is in a band himself, and he says that he got so worked up during a conversation with fellow band members about the state of the music industry, he says, "I just kind of took the liberty and started [the rumor], because I was so irritated."

The rumor spread widely on December 19, and Bon Jovi ended up providing photographic evidence that he was alive and well, joking with a handwritten sign that "Heaven looks a lot like New Jersey."

"Ultimately," Goho says, "I realized that his endeavors, his business endeavors, have actually made the tri-state area prosper, hence more musicians having more available places to go, more people to play to, and I was quite wrong."

It seems he's also experiencing some backlash from those who say he was seeking attention for his own band.

"It wasn't initially the case. Now, I'm not going to lie, either, I've also gotten some fans out of this," Goho says. "None of this was expected, so I'm not going to sit here and complain about it...but it wasn't my initial intention. I never really thought it would get out of the state of Pennsylvania."

Filed under: Music

1. AGuest9

What, exactly, are "Interwebs"???

_______________________
    I route, therefore, you exist.

December 30, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  2. madhater

@strat4jazz I was calling Goho a butt hole, for getting my hopes up. Now you're a butt hole too.

December 29, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. VirgilCole

Bon Jovi is a little presumptuous isn't he?

If I died and the place I went to looked like N.J., Heaven isn't where I would think I was at.

December 29, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Where's Philly's free concert???

Hey Jon, remember that promise you made? Typical democrat.

December 29, 2011 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
  5. Elitetech007

I'm 39 and grew up on Bon Jovi. I was Shocked to say the least when I heard the rumor he was dead. All you haters don't need to be here or post comments. JBJ has done more good for this world than all you people combined! He is a superstar in the world of rock , like it or not...and will be for years to come! JBJ rollin'....people hatin'....just to be heard that they hate. We live in a sad sad world!!

December 28, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. original nunya

wow what a captivating story..and im sure that its hell that actually looks a lot like jersey

December 28, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sceptical Dog

Interesting. Couldn't tell from the music.

December 28, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Slash

Guy nobody's ever heard of makes things up about one of the most successful musical artists of all time.

Hey Goho, u mad?

December 28, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Pete

GEFFLATO

December 28, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. GodFails

What an idiot! Think about what would happen if someone told people you love that are close to you that you were dead. Putting people through something like that is horrible. This should be a crime!! Loser!!!

December 28, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Virgil Cole

If the people who claimed to be "close" to him thought this was real then they must not be as close as they think right?

The people who believed this for more than the 10 seconds it took to look it up on the internet are morons.

December 29, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  11. eh

I think he needs to be skinned alived

December 28, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  12. rs

So, ahhh, this Bon guy not working on music and what exactly would humanity be missing? More pop schlock music?!?

December 28, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  13. mike

What a dumba$$.Jon should send some goodfellas to see this idiot.Blackballing this creep in any venue would be nice.
    I'm not really a big fan.

December 28, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  14. John Lennon

Paul is dead.
    I buried paul.
    I am the walrus.
    Goo Goo gajoob.

December 28, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Michael J.

One day, someone will say Jeffrey Goho is dead. Except, it will true.

December 28, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  16. lagtat

But what of Jon Bovi?

December 28, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Grateful Dead Fool

Does this mean Jerry didn't die?

December 28, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Kevin Roberts

In other words he was jealous of Bon Jovi.

December 28, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  19. bob

That's gay.

December 28, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  20. JackBauerCTU

Bon Jovi uncovered evidence of this plan. When he started asking questions he was assassinated. Other people were killed to cover that murder up. Men and women who served this country with distinction. People that I worked with. Friends of mine.

December 28, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Meeper

I love Meli Ann

December 28, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Matt

I just can't believe anyone cares about Bon Jovi. Who knew the 80's made such an impression...maybe Al Queso was right, we should all be killed...just for being so lame as to care about Reagan-era hair farmers 2 decades after the rest of humanity quit caring.

December 28, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  23. @

Goho should be taken out in the town's town square and be stoned to death.

December 28, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Rod c. Venger

I didn't know that you could tweet just within a state! Wow, who woulda thunk?

The idea that the guy didn't think it would get out of Pennsylvania is just a lame claim. You tweet and it just goes where it goes.

December 28, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  25. ChrisW

Anyone who gets that upset about Bon Jovi not making music is a flaming sissy and so is anyone who thought the rumor was true.

December 28, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Fred

The Advil Commercial really went over the edge for me too

December 28, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  27. kjb

We can always dream and hope.

December 28, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  28. jimzcarz

I've seen Bon Jovi a couple of times,and even if it isn't my kind of music you have to appreciate his workmanship in his craft.
    Glad to hear it was a hoax.Hey Jon you should book dudes band at one of your restaurants just for fun..
    Happy Holidays everybody
    jimmy
    San Jose

December 28, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Lokust

People pay attention to twitter?

December 28, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Troll Me baby

Whats a twitter ?
      Is it like a stutter ?
      Or is it more like a mumble ?
      If i twitter, should i see a doctor ?
      So many questions.

December 28, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  30. the_dude

Too bad because I was really hoping bon govi was dead.

December 28, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Dave

I would post a comment but, I'm hysterically laughing at the mere thought of Jon Bon Jovi...

December 28, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Joseph M. Mills

He should go to jail.

December 28, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  33. jovisgotme

He didn't think it would get out of the state of Pennsylvania....REALLY? Guess he doesn't know that much about Jon after all – stupid idiot.

December 28, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • dan

Yeah, because when Al Gore invented the Internet, he limited it to the state of Pennsylvania.

December 28, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Roger Ogilvy Thornhill

Who started the hoax that Jon Bon Jovi is a musician?

December 28, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  35. 15 minuets of fame

I blame the internet. It pulled back the curtains of how many idiots have access to computers.

December 28, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Eric of Reseda

I actually like this guy! He did something impulsively out of frustration – who doesn't – saw the rror of his ways, and genuinely accepts that it was wrongheaded. So all you Christ-like people out there who NEVER screw up like this can kiss it.

December 28, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • jaintn

No Eric, you can kiss it. I've NEVER screwed up like that. Besides, he didn't mess with himself, he messed with someone else and spread a rumor that I'm sure upset more than a few people who personally know and care about Jon Bon Jovi, and all because the little turdlet decided HE didn't like how someone else was conducting their OWN business. He's admitting it probably he was going to get caught and the best defense is a good offense. Oh, and nice way to represent your friend. Coming on the comment board saying how great he is while you're acting like a tool. Birds of a feather.....

December 28, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Tracy

I don't know what's sadder – starting this rumor or admitting that you started it .

December 28, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Leucadia Bob

Wow-this guy comes out of nowhere, claims HE tweeted it on his friends twitter account. and subsequently the post has been removed. No way to verify this, but he still gets national press for it. Unbelievable. We all know I was the one that tweeted it. Check out my latest video:
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E3eY94Gu0k&w=640&h=390]

December 28, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  39. JackBauerCTU

Bon Jovi was a great man, and he was a great musician. But he was also my friend. He tried to warn me about you, and now he is dead. Other people tried to help me, and they are dead too.

December 28, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Denis Leary

Stevie Ray Vaughn is dead, and we can't get Jon Bon Jovi into a helicopter?

December 28, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Me

Does he wonder why he has trouble keeping friends?

December 28, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  42. JackBauerCTU

I used to be in the military. Used to do field work for the CIA. I've been to some horrible places. I've seen some pretty terrible things. I don't think I've ever been this scared in my whole life.

December 28, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Me

You've posted to the wrong story dude, put the bong down.

December 28, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • JackBauerCTU

Son, part of getting a second chance is taking responsibility for what you did wrong in the first place.

December 28, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • ME

You should be scared. Imagine if Bon Jovi were really dead; how much more dangerous this world would be.

December 28, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • BoBo

Timmy have you ever seen a grown man naked?

December 28, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  43. rocnrol

the last time I heard any of bon jovi's recent music, I, too was sure he had passed on!!!

December 28, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Jennifer

Uhh...did it not occur to him that it might be slander to spread something like that JUST for being "irritated"?

December 28, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • J.C.

Look up the definition of "slander". In order to be slanderous, a hoax needs to not only be untrue, but must "defame the character". So, a hoax claiming that JBJ died after a vigorous bout of sodomy with a pony would be slanderous, but merely claiming him dead wouldn't.

December 28, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Tina

This guy is a loser! Why on earth would you start any type of rumor about someone? So what if Bon Jovi is starting a restaurant, that is great! Did it ever occur to this idiot that maybe Bon Jovi is taking a break from music for awhile, and wanting to do something else that is totally different from music? They have that right. It is not like they won't be back singing again someday but everyone needs a break once in awhile! Bon Jovi has been around for along time and I don't see them going away anytime soon ( thank goodness because I am a fan :)

December 28, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • jonbon

Thanks for having such faith and for being such a great fan.
      JBJ

December 28, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leucadia Bob

I think this guy was full of it. Probably had nothing to do with it. Just mooching attention and played it right-just like me posting my video below-check it out if you like bacon :)

December 28, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Fern Glifnauouuch

Jeffrey Goho – quite the moron

December 28, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  47. greta518

Hi....this was a sick prank. To let thousands of his fans believe he is dead, albeit briefly, is the sign of a troubled mind.

December 28, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  48. jurby

a nobody musician who can't get his foot "in the door" has become a green-eyed-monster and is jealous of Jon Bon Jovi's success. not only is this guy an idiot, he's a nobody who will always be a nobody. the result of his idiotic behavior is his only 1 second of fame...

December 28, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  49. madhater

I was disapointed to find out it was a rumor. That guy is a butt hole.

December 28, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • rickroll

These three words I swear to you..................

December 28, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • jonbon

I AM NOT!!
      JBJ

December 28, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • strat4jazz

@ Madhatter, well obviously you don't know Jon, he has his moments of difficulty (just like any human) but he's as far away from a butt hole as you are from having a life.

December 28, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Dee

Enjoy it dude,cuz this was the only way you would have ever saw your name mentioned in the same sentence as Bon Jovi, he who can't play/sing start rumours....

December 28, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  51. SmarterthanU

New rumor – Goho is a h o m o

December 28, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Pointless1

pssst... I'm sure you can contact him through facebook later..

December 28, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Rex

cuz he is a panty wearing f@g

December 28, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  53. Ted

Idiot

December 28, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Jon

This is a hoax.

December 28, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • zombie kid

I like turtles.

December 28, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • ctbeckyw

Jon, I am sure, has a lawyer or two. I'd sue. At least the guy might learn to mind his own business.

December 28, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • J.C.

ctbeckyw, what grounds would you sue under? Unwanted free publicity?

December 28, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amg

J.C., the first thing that comes to mind is Libel, spreading false information in print. Not sure that Bon Jovi could prove that this idiot's lies caused damage, but if people actually believed the idiot...

December 28, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alec John Such

I remember something about a "free" concert you promised Philly when the Philadelphia Soul won the championship a few years ago. Oh, what's that Jon, you're not the owner anymore, so that promise doesn't count? Fame surely has gone to that empty head of yours. The only thing it's good for is stopping the rain from getting in your neck.

December 28, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • El.

This guy is a loser. Does he know how many people he upset? I'll boycott every single one of this bands songs cos of this idiots hoax. I hope his band fail miserably and this guy ends up working in a fast food place.

December 31, 2011 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |