'Mars Needs Moms' tops list of 2011 box office flops
December 27th, 2011

'Mars Needs Moms' tops list of 2011 box office flops

Overall, 2011 wasn’t a good year for Hollywood studios, but a couple of big flicks lost serious money.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, "Mars Needs Moms" was the top flop on their list of the year's biggest box office failures. Disney’s animated feature had a $150 million budget, but only grossed $39 million worldwide.

Warner Bros.’ “Sucker Punch” was an action flick failure, grossing $89.8 million after being made on a $82 million budget.

Russell Brand's vehicle “Arthur” cost around $40 million to make, but the comedy remake only earned $45.7 million.

Ryan Reynolds’ turn as a superhero ended up being a superflop; “Green Lantern” brought in $219.9 million, but its budget was $200 million.

Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford teamed up for “Cowboys & Aliens,” but even those big names couldn’t make moviegoers love it. With a budget of $163 million, the action title grossed $178.8 million.

Other flops include “Glee: The 3-D Concert Movie"; “I Don’t Know How She Does It”; “Rum Diary”; and “Tower Heist.” Check out HollywoodReporter.com for the full list.

1. MattyZ

I realize these listed movies underperformed expectations – but if Green Lantern made a $20 million profit, Cowboys & Aliens a $15 million profit, and Sucker Punch a $6 million profit – is it fair to call these movies flops and supeflops. If this is flopping, a studio should make a series of flops and make some serious $$.

January 3, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  2. andew

I got all my Elder scrolls V: Skyrim mods from a legit site:

Skyrim save editor, Skyrim Nude Females ...etc

Thanks!

December 29, 2011 at 5:47 am | Report abuse |
  3. sam

This is amazing stuff, I got a working Xbox Live Point Generator For the First time from :

Many thanks to their team !

December 29, 2011 at 5:47 am | Report abuse |
  4. Booo

The only one I saw was tower heist. Since I wasn't expecting a nominee for best picture, I thought it was entertaining enough. It was good to see Eddie on the big screen. Hugo actually made a top 10 films of the year list. I wonder why since the vast majority of comments I've read says it was horrible.

December 28, 2011 at 7:03 am | Report abuse |
  5. NYCMovieFan

It is not fair to predict "Shame" as a flop – it's currently in few theaters,and carries an NC-17 rating (very unnecessary) – so it's actually doing very well and will make money on DVD. On the other hand, "Hugo" is disappointing on all fronts, and will not sell well on DVD, so it will be a huge money loser, along with "J. Edgar", "The Sitter" and "My Week with Marilyn" which has strong performances from the men in the cast, but very weak from the women (with the exception of Judi Dench). It is too early to name the top 10 flops of the year until the year is out and all the final totals are in, but having seen some real bombs this year, like "Mars needs Moms," "Cowboys and Aliens," "Sucker punch" and "Arthur," I really hope that Hollywood screenwriters and producers found some "Moviemaking for DUMMIES" books in their holiday gifts this year!f

December 27, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. daddy justin bieber

J Edgar is good movie to take a nap during...zzzz. Tower Heist was just awful-Eddie Murphy should go back to SNL.

December 27, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Lea

Actually, with DVD, Green Lantern grossed about 240M USD. Plus, there are books, toys, etc. Wait until beginning of next year to issue such a list, which might include J. Edgar, Young Adult, Shame, My week with Marilyn, and, probably, We Bought a Zoo and Girl with a Dragon Tattoo as well as several others.

December 27, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |