Swift releases 'Hunger Games' song: 'Safe and Sound'
December 23rd, 2011

Swift releases 'Hunger Games' song: 'Safe and Sound'

When she's not busy winning awards or working on her upcoming album, Taylor Swift has been lending her talents to the soundtrack for "The Hunger Games."

The 22-year-old country star tweeted a link to the single, titled "Safe and Sound," on Thursday, teasing, "Something I've been VERY excited about for a VERY long time is going to be happening VERY soon (and I'm not referring to Christmas)."

She crafted the song with The Civil Wars, and by Friday afternoon the folk group tweeted that "Safe and Sound" was No. 1 on iTunes.

Billboard describes "Safe and Sound" as "a melancholy, acoustic ballad," and as Rolling Stone notes, the lyrics reference "Hunger Games'" themes of "struggle and survival." The chorus' lyrics include, "Just close your eyes/The sun is going down/You'll be alright/No one can hurt you now."

Take a listen to the song below - how do you think it fits with the movie's dystopian tale of forced teenage battles?

Adapted from the novel written by Suzanne Collins, "The Hunger Games," starring Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth, opens March 23.

Filed under: Celebrities • Music • Taylor Swift

1. cursos a distancia gratis

Undeniably imagine that which you stated. Your favourite reason seemed to be at the web the easiest factor to bear in mind of. I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while other folks consider issues that they plainly do not recognize about. You controlled to hit the nail upon the highest and also defined out the whole thing without having side effect , folks can take a signal. Will probably be again to get more. Thank you

April 1, 2012 at 6:08 am | Report abuse |
  2. Byrd

Over-rated Barbie doll being handled by fools. Someone should take her down to the creek and wash all of that crap off her face.

December 29, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Noxious.Sunshine

Dear me... They better not play this during Rue's death.. Unless it's -after- Katniss sings the lullaby to her. That's a major plot point in the storyline.

Anyway, not a big fan of T-Swizzle, but this song is absolutely amazing and fits in very well with the novel.

I'm also scratching my head over the B. Spears song... What's it called? I've found nothing other than a spoof of "I Wanna Go" ...

December 25, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. kondoe

better than this:
    youtube.com/watch?v=idbejBA4wPU

December 25, 2011 at 5:46 am | Report abuse |
  5. ALien

All I see is that Universal Music Group has blocked the content of the video. Why put up a story without any content or was written without proper permissions in the first place. The writer of this story should be fired! This is just another cheap PR trick.

December 24, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

Or maybe UMG should get what they deserve for blocking a CNN review of their video: no sales.

December 26, 2011 at 3:03 am | Report abuse |
  6. Patrick

"Hunger Games" sounds a lot like Battle Royale....and by a lot I mean A LOT! might want to look that up might have a copyright story to write about.

December 24, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Esteban

You are correct. This has been a hot debate and has merit. A quick google will yield hundreds of topics on this.

December 24, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Superhiro

Wow, I've never even heard of Hunger Games before, but now that I wiki'd it... Yea TOTAL rip-off of Battle Royale. Just with a smaller whiter cast.

December 24, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. @Guest

I don't know guest. You always seem to get me laughing

December 24, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ducky mo mo

Actually britney has a higher percentage than taylor swift look on google or look at britneys population or find out with math how many songs britney has and then add it all or multiply. Also find out with math how many songs taylor has and then add it up or multiply

December 24, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  9. Tay

Probably too soon to say. But this song is bound to get some oscar buzz. And what song did SPEARS do for the movie?

December 24, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  10. Andy Volz

yinz forgetting that Pop Princess SPEARs did a song for this movie the hunger game. talk about that one two and compare with SWIFT song.

December 24, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  11. Bill

This video contains content from UMG, who has blocked iron copyright grounds.

December 24, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  12. andrew

I think that taylors music will evolve, and good on her for showing courage.

December 24, 2011 at 4:21 am | Report abuse |
  13. marissa oliveras

I think that they should play that one song fire to the rain for the entrance of the 74th hunger games.

December 24, 2011 at 3:06 am | Report abuse |
  14. Ralee

If it's Taylor, then it's real. She's the heart in the Country this generation listens to.

December 24, 2011 at 2:40 am | Report abuse |
  15. cris

Hollywood and the music industry are controlled by jews. Thezog.wordpress.com start paying more attention to politics. The new world order is going to take over soon – not a good thing.

December 24, 2011 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  16. Me

I'm not a big Swift fan, but I've loved The Civil Wars since day one. I do like this song, however. It isn't overproduced, bubblegum music. It much more real, and I think it actually does fit well with this novel and will fit right in with the movie as well.

December 23, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Booo

Thanks for ruining the storyline for those of us who haven't been inclined to read the books before seeing the movie!

December 23, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Akira

Oh, don't worry. I'm pretty sure that like all the other movies "based" on a book, it'll turn out to be completely different from the book. So, no worries, you can enjoy the movie when it comes out without it bein spoiled for you.

December 25, 2011 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Akira

*being

December 25, 2011 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  18. haymitch

at first, I thought it was the wrong choice, but then I listened to the song and realized how much it relates to events in the book. It fits when Rue's dying.

December 23, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  19. >> Like

Yup, I'll be buying the soundtrack like I did for all the Twilight movies. Same sort of guilty pleasure.

December 23, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  20. mockingjay

At first I was worried about Taylor making a song for such an amazing series. But then I listened to it. It is soft and beautiful and would really fit either the cave scene with Katniss and Peeta or when Rue was dying. Even though I don't like Taylor that much I have to say: Great job!!! :D

December 23, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  21. bob

T swift, she have pubs yet?

December 23, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  22. guilable

Does kanye west like fishsticks?

December 23, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Steve-O

I had a lot of respect for The Civil Wars. Now that Swift entered the scene, not so much now. Swift is the Beiber of country music.

December 23, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Andy Volz

ok so we got two songs so far for this movie. We got a song from SPEARS and now SWIFT. thats coolio.

December 23, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  25. ZoZo

Love it. Very much a departure for Swift and that's a good thing. The song fits in very nicely with the story of The Hunger Games...can't wait for the film!!.

December 23, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • troller

Yes, I agree it fits perfectly. Both story and soundtrack are terrible.

December 23, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Priya86

Agreed! I totally expected it to be awful since it's a Taylor Swift song but it was actually really perfect. Color me shocked.

December 24, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  26. Hunger Games Reader

Perfect.

December 23, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Joanna

Taylor Swift for 'The Hunger Games'? Kill it with fire, Katniss.

December 23, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Margaret

Oh dear.

December 23, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

Her eyes are always slanty,like shes doing a racist asian stereotype.

Id like to make her eyes pop wide open(wink wink wink)

(I mean with my penus)

December 24, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • billionairefriends.com

You can see. My dear frie;nds. That is very nice! Christmas Eve is coming!!! You wanna find your lover to enjoy this wonderful time together? And if you desire to live the billi;onaire lifestyle, you may try BillionaireFriends.COMit's where for dating a billion;aire. The best cl;ub for seeking the ric;h in the world.....It's for rich and wealthy people who are seek;ing long last and enduring relati;onships!

December 24, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Troll

@Guest
      You do know that penus means bread in Latin, right?

December 25, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

Guest, you don't need a "penus" to be a complete Richard.

December 26, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |