Friday's Top Five: New holiday classics
December 23rd, 2011

Friday's Top Five: New holiday classics

For most of you, it's not the holidays until you've indulged in a seasonal movie marathon.

Films like "It’s a Wonderful Life," "Miracle on 34th Street" and "White Christmas" are obvious choices, but this week’s list celebrates new holiday classics.

To distinguish between old and new, let’s say that "new" refers to memorable films that have been made in the last 30 years. Without them, our collective imagination would be missing the tales of Red Ryder and his BB gun, instances of excessive exterior illumination, juvenile lessons in home security, and holiday parties gone awry.

Tell us what you think are the greatest new holiday classics and feel free to share your favorite older films as well. Have a happy holiday, and please don’t shoot your eye out.

1. "A Christmas Story" (1983): “You’ll shoot your eye out, kid.” – Santa Claus

2. "Christmas Vacation" (1989): “You serious, Clark?” – Cousin Eddie

3. "Home Alone" (1990): “This is my house, I have to defend it.” – Kevin McCallister

4. "Die Hard" (1988): “Now I have a machine gun. Ho Ho Ho!” –Hans Gruber reading note from John McClane

5. "Elf" (2003): “This place reminds me of Santa's Workshop! Except it smells like mushrooms and everyone looks like they want to hurt me.” – Buddy the Elf

Honorable Mention:

"Scrooged" (1988): “No, you are a hallucination brought on by alcohol... Russian vodka poisoned by Chernobyl!” - Frank Cross

"Four Christmases" (2008): “My childhood was like the Shawshank Redemption, except I didn't have some old, warm, black man to share my story with!” – Brad

"Bad Santa" (2003): “He doesn't care if you're naughty or nice.” – tagline

« Previous entry
  1. color along with length of the dresses5

Running count – I have seen 36/60. color along with length of the dresses5 http://law1949.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=14598976

May 24, 2013 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Nike Sko

Dame 2012 Nike Free Trainer, Billige Kvinder Dame 2012 Nike Free Trainer Salg, Great Price, Kampe Rabat, gode anmeldelser, hoj kvalitet, sikker levering, intet salg Skat og betaling med kreditkort.
    Nike Sko http://www.vnikefree.com/

November 18, 2012 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  3. New classics?

I have been watching Christmas Story and Scrooged and Die Hard every Christmas for the past 22 years. Whoever writes for this blog is really clueless! Why don't you get someone to write who actually can do research, in stead of just searching youtube for Christmas movie trailers that are not black and white.

January 8, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  4. T

Ok, maybe "Bad Santa" isn't a good choice now that I think about it.
    I would like to erase that one from my X-Mas movies list and apologize to everyone for that choice and replace it with "A Christmas Vacation" w/ Chevy "Community – Sixseasonsandamovie" Chase.

January 4, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  5. Gustavo Bastos

"Bad Santa"????? You're kidding!

It's one of the most awfull, bad-taste, gross movies for Christmas.

January 3, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. T

"A Christmas Story" tops the list with "A Wonderful Life" in second place, and "Love Actually" in third place.......
    As for the rest, I guess it's "Four Christmases" (K. Chenowith is hot !), "Scrooged", "A Christmas Carol" (w/ Alstair Sims) and lastly "Bad Santa".

What about tv shows with Christmas episodes ? I remember the one from the '80s: "VOYAGERS !" w/ Hexum and Peluce and "Quantum Leap" from the '90s with Charles Rocket as a Scrooge like fellow which Sam Beckett has to save.

January 3, 2012 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
  7. Carolyn

What about Love Actually? I love that movie and the musical "Scrooge" with Albert Finney. Both are great Christmas movies.

December 29, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Darren

"The Ref" with Denis Leary. Incredible funny.

December 28, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Dave C.

I thought this was going to be a serious look at newer Christmas movies. I guess I was wrong. Die Hard? Home Alone? You're kidding, right? Just because a movie is set around Christmas time doesn't make it a Christmas movie. How about movies like The Santa Clause, The Polar Express, Christmas With The Kranks and quite a few others that actually ARE Christmas movies?

December 26, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. halston

happy holidays. enjoy this moment in time

--------/http://ratemusicart.blogspot.com---------

December 24, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  11. SS

Scrooged and Bad Santa in the top five, lose Home Alone and Elf. For tv shows, Emmett Otter's Jugband Christmas and the South Park Woodland Critter Christmas episode.

December 24, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  12. J Paige

Mr. Lubin, enjoyed your choices of top five new Christmas favs! We just enjoyed the "threshold of Hell" with Clark and got silly with Bad Santa a couple of nights ago. Elf is up there too but I must confess I haven't seen 4 Christmases and I don't care for Home Alone. Merry Christmas to you and the missus.

December 23, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  13. narcey

You can't beat 24 hours of a A Christmas Story followed by a Bad Santa marathon. The exchanges between Bernie Mac and Tony Cox is hysterical. Who doesn't love a foul-mouthed elf?

December 23, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jaymo

Can't argue with the top 5, although I would put Elf at #2 at least. Maybe even #1.

December 23, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Santa's helper

Bah Humbug, huh Richard Fore! Santa & the reindeer are not pleased with your comment! Somebody needs a heavy dose of holiday cheer. Up here at the north pole, we kind of like those Tim Allen Santa movies. They make us laugh! Happy Holidays everyone, even you Richard Fore.

December 23, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Richard Fore

Santa Sucks. Hope he crashes his sled into a mountain and he and all his stupid reindeer die.

December 23, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  17. Evelyn

What about Olive, The Other Reindeer?

December 23, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |