'X Factor': Will Melanie Amaro take it all?
December 22nd, 2011

'X Factor': Will Melanie Amaro take it all?

I only have one word to sum up “X Factor’s” season finale performance show, and it's "amazing." (OK, and one other word: Surprising!)

First up was Josh Krajcik. He took the stage and sang Alanis Morissette's “Uninvited.” But seconds into singing he stops and invites Alanis on stage to perform it with him.

At first it sounded a bit awkward, because both voices are so uniquely different, but toward the end it worked. And it worked well, with L.A. Reid calling Josh’s performance “surreal.”

Then it was Chris Rene’s turn, and he performed a song that surprised me. For some reason, I never thought of his style to be similar to Avril Lavigne’s, but that was the artist he was placed with.

He starts out singing Lavigne’s hit “Complicated,” adding his signature style and soul to it. When Avril shows up, I notice right off the bat that they have chemistry. I don’t know if it’s Chris' personality or what, but both were like high school kids having fun playing instruments in their garage. Loved it.

Nicole Scherzinger was up first with her critiques, saying “it was a little shaky in the takeoff, but you came out on top.” Paula heaped lots of praise on Chris, just as she did with Josh. Simon weighed in to say he thought it was well done, and L.A. told Chris that he looked “really at home” with Avril.

And then they saved the best for last: Miss Melanie Amaro! Immediately, when I heard her sing the first few words of the R. Kelly hit “I Believe I Can Fly,” I knew she’d picked a song that best reflects her vocal strength.

She then welcomed R. Kelly to join her on stage to finish singing his hit. Can you believe he sounded just as great as he did years ago when the song was first released? Their performance was just refreshing. Simon Cowell even stood up in the middle of the song in approval.

You would think L.A. would be a slam-dunk when it came to Amaro’s pairing with Kelly, but not so fast. He told her he thought R. Kelly overshadowed her on the song. But Nicole and Paula thought Melanie “soared” and that her conviction was great. Simon, of course loved it.

With the duets out of the way, we lined up the solo performances. First up, Josh: The unofficial Joe Cocker performed Etta James’ “At Last” again, and he nailed it. He was in his element with this song. Just when I thought Josh would be a close second, I now feel he might actually win this thing.

Next up was Chris Rene, who went back to basics with a song he wrote, "Young Homie." He owned it, and made me understand why people keep downloading it on iTunes. Both Paula and Nicole ate it up!

And then Amaro took the stage to sing Beyonce’s “Listen." It was heart-wrenching and sounded better than the original artist, if I can be honest. I mean, Amaro certainly SOUNDS like a professional already.

Amaro, Krajcik and Rene all chose the perfect songs for their solo performances last night. They showed why they should have a $5 million contract! But after tonight's show, only one will win. iReporter Al Mealey is putting his money on Melanie Amaro - as does Simon Cowell, in the video below from iReporter Chris Morrow:

Who do you think SHOULD win "The X Factor"?

1. ursostupid

*extremely.

December 23, 2011 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  2. ursostupid

I am appalled at the lack of intelligence in some of these replies. Chris is a very talented young man, but has a few more steps he needs to take before he will explode into being a great entertainer. Josh is an ok artist, he is not a great singer and is very complacent. He needs to expand his horizons and move outside of his comfort zone. Melanie was the most talented artist through out the entire show. Just because she may act like a diva doesnt mean she isnt an extremelt good singer and very talented.

December 23, 2011 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  3. bob

If she bends over she'll take it all, right? I guess7?

December 22, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Nancy

Before I make my pick for who should win......I must correct K J Matthews, as there is an error in this story. The song "Listen" is NOT a Beeitchsay song. It is from "Dreamgirls"....it's NOT her song – it belongs to the show. Now back to the topic at hand.

Josh should win, but probably won't.

The American public – for some unknown reason to me (a Canadian) – just keep wanting more African American Divas. We have had to suffer through Whitney, Mariah and B-Say........why do we need one more?

The X Factor is about finding someone new and fresh....not done before and stale.

My only hope is that the American public took smart pills last night and voted for Josh.......or even Chris.

Just not Melanie.

December 22, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • gurlygurl

I agree Nancy! I wish Josh would win! I love his sound! Melanie is already acting like a Diva! Chris is ok, he just hasnt been in recovery long enough for all this yet. Booooo Melanie!!

December 22, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

It's sad that you have to mention race in your comment. This is all about talent and Melanie is by far the most talented and deserves to win X-Factor.

December 23, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Tree

Richard Fore
    CHEEFSFURY and tracie you both are sick sick sick..........shame on you. You both need to looked in the mirror and what you see a SICK person that needs help. Just because your life is no going your way , you want to knock someone else down. But here is the thing we fall down but we get back up. CHEEFSFURY and tracie fell down and can't get back up because you are to busy in someone else head. Much love for you.........

Shame on you all

December 22, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Tree

December 22, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  7. CHEEFSFURY

THE FAT GUY HAS A FACE FOR RADIO AND A VOICE ONLY DEAF PPL CAN APPRECIATE.

December 22, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. CHEEFSFURY

I WANT THE ADDICT TO WIN SO HE CAN SPEND 5 MILLION DOLLARS ON DRUGS AND OD HE IS SO TERRABLE

December 22, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

CHEEFSFURY-You know I am not sure what your problem is, but it's immense. To say such horrendous things is only a reflection on YOUR POOR character and your mean spirit. to wish other's ill is only pointing a finger at how little you think of who you are. Only someone filled with self hatered would say such a thing. When you have to knock others down to be able to stand up yourself you're in serious trouble and should get help. Life will give you back exactly what you give to it- so I caution you about doing so again. You have my pity. Give those who love you an early Christmas gift and book a therapy appointment !!

December 22, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard Fore

@Lisa. I'll bet your va j-j smell like rotten tuna fish pickeled with horseradish. Quit being such a nagging byt-ch

December 22, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

@Richard Fore.... You are right, I am a nasty little tart and love it when tracie poos on my face while i'm licking his bung-hole.

December 22, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chanie

Why would you say such a thing about Chris Rene – he's a wonderful talent! True talent! You must be really unhappy with yourselves to make bad comments like that. In his past, for whatever reason, he went through a tough time..... like everyone else. Some people drink, do crime and others take the substance abuse approach. He knows what he has done to himself and promised himself he wouldn't go back to that – the skies the limit for this guy and Canada is routing for him!!!!!!!! You must not judge people – you wouldn't like it if it was you who was the one being judged on your life choices! CHRIS RENE!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 23, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |