A new chapter for 'American Horror Story'
December 22nd, 2011

A new chapter for 'American Horror Story'

I was not the biggest fan of "American Horror Story's" first episode back in October, but the show has shown gradual improvement over this first season.

For one thing, characters' motivations are more or less understandable, so that's a big step forward. The writers (especially "Angel" and "X-Files" vet Tim Minear), for the most part, didn't sacrifice the story for straight-up scares. (Though the payoff, if you can call it that, of the Eric Stonestreet episode is still one of the big "WTH" moments of the year.)

Wednesday night's finale brought closure in the most literal way possible for the Harmon family. In recent weeks, you didn't ask which character was killed in the latest episode, but rather which character was still alive. For the Harmons, the last three episodes have been pretty deadly.

Once Dylan McDermott's still-irritating character Ben (the man only has two modes – angry, and less angry) was hanged by the ghost of his mistress, he joined his late wife and daughter, doomed to stay in the "murder house" for all of eternity. But it didn't end there.

A new family moved in, and it wasn't long before the Harmon spouses decided to get some help from some of the more innocent spirits in the house to drive them out - and then the couple took the cathartic measure of gruesomely "murdering" each other in front of the new homeowners. (You've gotta feel for that poor realtor.)

But it didn't end there.

There was still the matter of what became of the twin babies, only one of whom was assumed to have lived. It turns out both were alive, and it looked like Vivien was going to be able to raise her and Ben's child after all.

But it didn't end there.

As for the child that Vivien had with "Rubber Man" Tate, probably the biggest villain of this season, his mother Constance was raising him. Cut to three years later, where the scenery-chewing Jessica Lange made an excellent case for her Golden Globe nomination with a great monologue in a hair salon about the "greatness" for which Constance was destined before so many people started dying around her.

The deaths weren't quite done, though, as she returned home to find the body of her adopted son's nanny and the three-year-old with a beyond-creepy grin on his face.

Needless to say, Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk have more than laid the groundwork for season 2 (and what becomes of the potential ghost baby/three-year-old kid raised in the "murder house," by the way?). The question is, will viewers tune in?

Did the finale leave you wanting more, or was this year's wild ride, and the apparent end to the Harmons' story, enough for you?

Share your view on iReport or comment below.

1. lisadee

I LOVED the show.. it had so many characters and stories.....looked forward to it every week. Can't wait til they begin next season with a whole new story. I'm gonna miss Jessica Lang, she was excellent.

January 4, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. loveshow

Now that everyone is dead, I was worried this would become a lame drama serious. I LOVE the idea of a new horror story!

January 3, 2012 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  3. Debie

Loved this show. Hated to see this season end. Can't wait to buy it on DVD. Loved the speed of the show, it never dragged. Looking forward to next season.

January 1, 2012 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  4. Mac

Does anybody here know that that was IT for this story??? The writers have said, this story will NOT continue, there will be a whole NEW story and the house will NOT be part of it....People this is not news! are you really fans??

December 29, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  5. JLee

Thorbeck – that's EXACTLY how I feel!

December 28, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  6. non haunted occupant

I read if there is a season 2 (hopeful) the writhers want each new season's to have different "hauntings" "murder house" and stories... If so thats weak... You cant tell me "Paula Deen" says the unholy child will cause the end of the world then skip on to a totally different haunting... That's what paranormal cable shows are for!

December 27, 2011 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Robert Abrami

When I first watched the show I had mixed feelings but I liked Jessica Lang very much and kept watching and really got into it and loved the last installment of the season. Well done.

December 23, 2011 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Julzrael

EXCELLENT SHOW, well-written, artistic, frightening, dramatic, *everything about it* is Quality. Not to mention it's total architecture-p r * n. The acting is formidable. Jessica Lange is the only actor that could ever pull off looking a hanging, dead neighbor in the eyes – smiling, smoking a cigarette – and saying in a cool, southern-drawl, "You...stupid, son-of-a b*t%h". :-) What a pleasure she is, and Evan Peters is the New Threat. Watch out! He is some FANTASTIC waiting to take HWood by storm. Ooh! THis is the top of "Addictions R Us" most desired new show. HOT!!! LOVE IT, MORE MORE MORE!!!!

December 23, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Julzrael

@Pliny I would vote for teenage boy. Showing his intellect (and by intellect, I meant teenage-boy stupidity)

December 23, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Pliny

Sarah,

traci is a man.

A sad, fat, lonely man.

A boring and uncreative man.

And .... he's a virgin.

December 23, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. You

I LOVE THE SHOW I can't wait for the next season! It is awesome! oy

December 23, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  12. Henry Hanks

Good eye on the 'ghost baby' theory. And it appears any lingering questions may not be answered as the murder house set is gone.

December 23, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  13. Thorbecke

I've watched every episode and I'm still not sure if I like it. I also find it increasingly difficult to explain to people who haven't seen the show what the show is about, or why I watch it. I do think the writers will have quite a challenge on their hands in either continuing the storyline, or explaining what happened pre-Harmon.

December 23, 2011 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
  14. lmao

This show got my attention from the start. Looking forward to season two. Btw, thx for lol at the comments !

December 22, 2011 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  15. $

I saw only the first two but caught it last night. Am I correct to say that the whole family is dead that moved in when the show started?

December 22, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  16. sarah

@tracie......Really? I see you as a underager who giggles with her other loser frinds as you post. You probably had to go to bed before this show was on.Please go to any MTV website

December 22, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  17. sarah

The show was GREAT,The end was wonderful, and Jessica Lange was an award winner. There is no reason the season 2 not to go to another haunted house......except that Constance won't be living next door

December 22, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Annie Sisk

Correction: The other child - the one Ben fathered - did in fact die. That was a "ghost baby" Moira and Vivien were cuddling.

December 22, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Annie Sisk

It's a sophisticated show, not to everyone's taste, to be sure. It demands much more than your "Bones" or your "CSI"s or even "Castle" – and yes I enjoy all three from time to time - but the payoff is so much richer than other shows in general. And Lange should just be given the Emmy right now.

December 22, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  20. jem

Would you like my mouth if I was a MORMON?

December 22, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  21. tracie

i like dooooodooo

December 22, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  22. SMMORE

@Scott- Can you please find another page to waste your time on, so you will stop wasting ours. Your comments are not funny. Move on.

December 22, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  23. barb

where the hell was the spoiler alert....love this show and not happy that the finale was giving away with no warning! Would def not have read this article

December 22, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

I know, right Barb? I stopped really reading after the first or second paragraph when I realized that this article was just a summary of the episode? Anyways, wow. I never realized CNN comments would be so fun to read.

December 23, 2011 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  24. emily

I heard this really is one of the best shows on TV. Ive already missed 2 seasons though. Too bad for me.

December 22, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • KZ

Emily...just season so you can catch up. I have been catching up watching On Demand and its a great show. You still have time to give it a try.

December 22, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mac

Watch them on Hulu.com ;-)

December 29, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  25. jem

Tracie, you are a peach. Dont let those dirty mean old people bother you. They are all just creepy prune eaters. I bet they watch this lame show too.

December 22, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Scott

I know all about shows like this. Someone talks to someone else. Something happens. Then they talk some more. It is sooooo lame.

December 22, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Leo

He must be. Anyone that likes this show must be an embicile. A short school bus rider.

December 22, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Claire

So, you're watching a TV show that you don't like? What a waste of time! If you're not watching the show then how can you have an opinion about something you know nothing about? Did the little yellow bus hit you?

December 22, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eno

My son is developmentally disabled, and rides the "short bus" to school. He does not like this show. Therefore, your logic is retarded.

December 22, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julzrael

At least we are smart enough to know how to spell "imbecile". :-) You should spell-check your big words. *eyeroll*

December 23, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  28. ermine

I really dont understand the shows concept. They can go back in time to this odd place called terra nova but cant travel forward to the present. If they cant travel forward through the time portal then how to they get the golden tablets to the mormons? It just seems odd to me.

December 22, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  29. D

Love Love Love this show. I am thoroughly amused by the "creepiness" of it all. Can't wait for season 2.

December 22, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • JLS

I am addicted to the show. It is creepy and morbid. For me it has been a good distraction from all the sappy holiday programs. It is original, well acted and directed. Can't wait for season 2.

December 22, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Scott

I hope they vote Ben off the island. He cant sing worth a flip. Plus none of the girls like him. I really think he will be the next to go.

December 22, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  31. jean hall

I loved the show and am looking forward to next season. It will be interesting to see how they can top this season. Its a great change from the boring reality shows, which i quit watching. Thank heavens for PBS.

December 22, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Boo

I loved the finale!!!! Never saw it coming. And Jessica Lange is the best neighbor from hell!!! She rocks!!!

December 22, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Catty

I have LOVED this show from start to finish. How fantastic – a combination of ghost hunters, paranormal activity, the sixth sense and the shining all rolled into one fantastically creepy show. I love how it didn't just "end there". I can't wait for next season. I have no idea what they are going to do, but I have no doubt it will be the same creepy yet compelling story as this season.

December 22, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • teree

i agree with everything you said, i love this show, disappointed that we have to wait til next season! looked forward to wed nites...People who dont get this show are jus plain ignorant! its not real people, although it probably could be someones reality.... makes you think... i love any thing metaphysical or paranormal...

December 29, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  34. JENNY

I thought the FINALE was great! I love this show and look forward to watching it every week. It is very exciting and scary. I can not wait until next season to see what happens with the babies...I think they should have the coach from Friday Night Lights on the show as a possible love triangle for Vivian – they had the best chemistry!!!!

December 22, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  35. xjdavid

Great show, but I was a bit disappointed in the finale as well. The whole "scare the new family" bit was silly and not even necessary. I read that the finale was supposed to be much longer, but they didn't have time to finish it. I hope it's better on the dvds, but I thought the finale was the worst episode of the season.

December 22, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Scott

Whoever writes for this show knows nothing about our religion. It seems they are just making it up as they go along. I saw no mwntion of either Joseph Smith or Brigham Young this season. It was an utter disappointment.

December 22, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Scott

I really dislike this show. It portrays our LDS brotherhood in a negative light. The Golden Tablets did not come from Xenu. Joseph Smith found them.

December 22, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Fan

Did you actually watch the show? Both babies didn't live...the "stillborn" took 1 breath in the house then died, therefore spending eternity as a newborn ghost in the house. And the 3-yr-old isn't being raised in murder house (yet)...he lives next door with Constance...

December 22, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  39. mormon

Just more garbage made by outsiders and unbelievers.

December 22, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • You'reAnIdiot

mormon god loves this show. he told me. Also, read my name....

December 22, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cap'n

Anyone who believes in Mormonism, or any other religion for that matter, is a weak-minded sheep.

December 22, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Avis

I will put this simply so that even you too may understand... you do know this is a work of make-believe, like Tinker Bell and the Easter Bunny, don't you sweetie pie?

December 22, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julzrael

Oh we believe all right. And we can "pray" too...MHUAHAHAHAHAH!!! You better pray, or little Michael won't be too happy with you... :-) "It's all for you, Damien!!"

December 23, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Observer

Liberal garbage. No other way to describe this.

December 22, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Boo

Did your mother have any children that lived?

December 22, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer@Boo

What are you, twelve?

December 22, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maddie

WHAT? You're a weirdo

December 22, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • paul

Ha! You sound like the church lady

December 22, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Avis

I am sure there are other more succinct, more intelligent ways to describe a show – or anything – other than 'Liberal Garbage' . What the hell does that even mean?? Conservatives don't believe in the artistic structure of the 'horror' genre?

December 22, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pliny

It is really nice to read your 'liberal garbage' posts.

Mainly because it proves that conservatives are total and complete morons.

I often wonder how tards like you live on a day-to-day basis.
      How does it feel to know that you are on the wrong side of every issue in the universe?

Better still. When you come here and write your 2nd-grade-reading-level idiocy....do you ever wonder why the internet is so FILLED with things that you must criticize, and so DEVOID of things that you agree with? Doesn't it seem funny to you that the entire world seems to hold views that are the opposite of yours?

Oh sure, you could goto the conservative blogs and read. But they fall into two catagories: 1) pseudo-intellectual facism...which is a short description of everyone in the republican party....or 2) the political equivalent of a Hagar-the-Horrible cartoon (this catagory is reserved for George W Bush, the idiot who reads kiddie-books while the nation is under attack).

Bottom line. I want you to continue to post your 'liberal stooge' messages. Your words are a constant reminder to us all that a conservative-mind is both closed and small.

December 23, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julzrael

Why don't you go watch some Waltons, or some Andy Griffith? Or something with some nice rightie-style hate on it, like something about the GOP? Gingrich is always good for saying something hateful about others that aren't him! That should make you feel all *riled* up!

December 23, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Too bad

Gotta luv how a conservative would politicize a fictional cable drama!

December 27, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jan

I am a conservative and I loved the show. Please don't group all of us together.

December 30, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Dee

What?

January 5, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Ha Ha Trolls

Amazing show...disappointing finale. :-( I psyched myself up too much for it...though it was REALLY hard to top last weeks episode. (Birth)

December 22, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • pam

I enjoyed this show. It kept you guessing and I loved the last two episodes. I was disappointed that Vivien died, as I am a big fan of Connie Britton. I like the idea of a different house, different ghosts, but what becomes of psycho boy?? Maybe mama Lange kills him, knowing she can't protect him, and let's him loose in the ghost house. I will miss Connie Britton. Hope she turns up in something new, soon!

December 25, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • vanillla+chocolate

They said that story's done, so a whole new story with some of the same faces are coming back in the fall. Trippy.

January 1, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |