'How to Make It' star Luis Guzman on cancellation
December 21st, 2011

'How to Make It' star Luis Guzman on cancellation

Three of HBO’s shows got the ax on Tuesday, and heartbroken fans are speaking out. (HBO is owned by the same parent company as CNN.)

The network canceled “Hung,” “How to Make It In America” and “Bored to Death," and to say fans of the canceled series are shocked would be an understatement.

“Bored to Death” creator Jonathan Ames has even offered to console fans with a round of drinks in Brooklyn (at the Brooklyn Inn at 10 p.m. tonight, if you're interested!).

"Fans of @boredtodeath: thank you for watching us these last three years!" Ames wrote Tuesday following the news. "[I] had some beautiful ideas for a new season of @boredtodeath which i can tell you about at the bk inn."

In the case of “How to Make It In America,” the response via Twitter and Facebook has been overwhelming. An update about the cancellation on the show’s Facebook page has accumulated over 1,400 comments.

The short-lived series, which recently concluded its second season, followed the lives of New Yorkers as they tried to pursue their versions of the American dream with varied success. The show, though not a ratings juggernaut, seemed to resonate with younger audiences, hip-hop culture and folks who saw it as one of the more timely stories being told on the tube.

Another fan who has been very vocal about the show’s demise is one of its own stars, Luis Guzman, who portrayed everyone’s favorite ex-con turned entrepreneur, Rene.

The actor is using his Twitter account to engage with upset followers of the series, some of whom have also started a petition to revive the show. While Guzman's not angry about the news, he understands the audience’s reaction.

“Every once in a while a show comes along that people can really relate to because it’s a part of their dreams, and I feel that this show did that for a lot of people,” he said. “I would suspect people would be angry.”

He also admits he got a little ahead of himself when it came to a possible season 3. “I don’t get cocky about anything because I know how my industry works, and this was like, the first time I was telling people ‘We’ll be back for a third season!’ I feel like we had all of the pieces in place. I don’t know if HBO would do a reversal.”

As for the rest of the cast and crew, Guzman says that while there are a few folks feeling blindsided, they're also thankful for the opportunity to work on the show.

“I don’t think it was an easy decision for HBO to let go of this show, because I know there are people there that really loved and believed in [it],” he says. “If we don’t land back on HBO maybe we’ll land back somewhere else.”

What do you guys think of HBO’s cancellations?

1. Brandon

How to make it in America was my favorite show behind entourage, with my brother having a clothing line we could totally relate to the show and wanted to see the characters succeed

November 2, 2013 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
  2. Ray briggs

This show was everything to me me being a owner of my clothing line and the trials and tribulations I go threw with it it was more of an inspiration it almost felt real I love this show and hbo cinemax show time whoever please!!!!!! Bring how to make it in America back

October 28, 2013 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
  3. Dillon Creten

Most people typically work from their company's central location, a physical space where everyone from that organization gathers to exchange ideas and organize their efforts. But a few lucky souls have found ways to make money within the comfort of their own home. With the Internet, an ever-changing arena for businesses, some people looking to earn money are finding ways to do so. Some forms are best for part-time endeavors for those looking to make a little extra money on the side, while others can lead to full-time jobs and Internet success stories.:",-

http://www.calaguastourpackage.comNewest post coming from our blog

May 20, 2013 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  4. jerome lucas

to be honest i held on to HBO only to see 'how to make it in america"pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee bring it back

March 20, 2013 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
  5. Marky D

2nd season just finished in the UK (Although sure it has been played before).

Gutted – it started slow but the second series was very good. Like most I agree this woud have gone the way of Entourage success wise. Most people did not watch Entourage from the start but season 3 went big everyone went back and caught up.

I only use Entourage as an example as I see alot of similarities between the two shoes.

A shame,

March 18, 2013 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  6. jonnytanna

What bothered me was that these shows were all cancelled in favour of shows like 'Life's Too Short' which is terrible. These aren't the most amazing shows ever made, but they aren't as bad as Ricky Gervais' current output.

February 28, 2013 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  7. Jamaal

What a shame. This was the best show HBO has put out in some time. Truly engaging and always left me wanting to see what was next. I keep checking to see if they changed their minds and I'm disappointed every time. We need inspiring shows like this that relate to people who are struggling to make their dreams happen. HBO you need to bring this show back pronto! We need more uplifting shows.

February 9, 2013 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. hatred will be kaboshed.

done.

February 1, 2013 at 5:52 am | Report abuse |
  9. Krispy

This show has the setup to be at the same level as entourage and by canceling it, there missing out on how a show starts slow and blows up suddenly to make the story line crazy intertaining...plus the show had Siemens great actors such as the guy form American pie, kid cuddi and Luis Guzman...the show can easily become a show that returns on HBO, but they need I to budget it more for the type of adduience it's attracting at that time. Once the three or fourth season hits off, the number of viewers would rise tremendously and then they can start spending big bucks on it. I personally just found the show 3 days ago and love it. The fact that I know it's cancelled is a serious heartbreak to me and I'm seriously disappointed in HBO to let a show like that get cancelled and replace it with some more girly shows that every straight guy would never watch willingly. It doesn't make scenes to me.

February 1, 2013 at 5:48 am | Report abuse |
  10. Zayna

Bring back How to Make It in America!!!!

January 22, 2013 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  11. tylthomas

I was so looking forward to more seasons! I am really disappointed. I thought this show had so much potential. It was smartly written and the characters were so expandable and attractive. The show Girls that everyone is so crazy over is boring and sloppy looking if that makes sense. I watched one episode and was not engaged at all. Yet for some odd reason this is still on? Please bring back How To Make It In America!

January 12, 2013 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Champ

It's ironic they cancel a show, that doesn't show or promote violence but continue with boardwalk, thrones etc....just watched the entire series on hbo go.....I want more

January 9, 2013 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Drew

Best new show since Breaking Bad. Shame they cancelled this, would've been huge in the end.

January 6, 2013 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Neil D.

Wow, I kept thinking, when is the new season going to start? I guess the answer is never. It's too bad, I really enjoyed this show, for me it filled the void left by Entourage. There really isn't any hip shows on HBO, this one was it. Now are options are "Bored" Walk Empire, or Game of Thrones........(Old Time Sopranos or Revamped Rome), yawn!!!

January 1, 2013 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  15. imp255

lets see gold emp 20 and 5 for silver...not bad this year. fun day ahead.

December 13, 2012 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  16. Ifyou lookig forautomated income streamlook no more.

Hello there, I discovered your site by the use of Google while searching for a comparable matter, your website got here up, it appears to be like great. I've bookmarked to my favourites|added to my bookmarks.

December 13, 2012 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  17. pully

damn! i was just checking, because i thought the new season might start this month or next...
    i really liked the pace and feel of it. in that it was very similar to entourage, and made for good fast entertainment.
    i hope hbo instead makes another show like this.
    i didn't really care for bored to death or hung, anymore though.

November 7, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  18. anthony

its a damn shame this show was cancelled. im not a tipical american who makes sure they catch their daily show each night at the same time, never had time. but when i seen this show hit HBO and i seen my self with something that has to really do with real struggle caught my attention , and yes i made sure i caught the show and if not i went on my cable company that offered the last episode to replay. point being this show was damn good. and need to let it continue on with the next episodes and give americans that are into the urban,hip hop, life style.

November 3, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Tyler Fulton

This is horrible. I wasn't expecting them to just give up, it just show how that they(HBO) don't have any faith in the work they invest. There were great actors, even though second season was a little dry,like any season, which doesn't mean to just drop them like that! I'm upset.
    That's all.

November 1, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Amanda

here I am almost one year after it got cancelled....i just watched the second season and it was awesome...i rlly hope that how to make it, come back, wether in HBO or other network....i seriously love this show...this is the first time i saw a series telling about how to build a brand from scratch and its rlly interesting and inspiring
    i was shocked when I know this show got cancelled..it was a really good show

October 26, 2012 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  21. how can make money,money from internet,money with internet,how can earn money,money from the internet,money and internet,money by internet,how to own a business,on line money,internet marketing website,website internet marketing,how earn money online,earn

Great and meaningful article to read,learn and it’s really great

October 14, 2012 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  22. TeRence

Its time to bring back how to make it in America. They didn't replace it with anything, and outside treme and boardwalk empire, there is no reason to keep HBO.

October 13, 2012 at 2:35 am | Report abuse |
  23. CEO of Fly P.A.C clothing: LaSean B

This show stood alone in its on lane, gave alot of people hope. It gave people a dream or a thought of what if.HBO should bring da show back just to finish the story of ben and kam. This show is the reason why I started my clothing lind..and dats why its selling rihht now because everything they eent through I went through. So I can say I learned alot from da show so if you want more kis to learn something from this da show they need to look at HBO MAKE IT HAPPEN

September 1, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Concrete Jungle

JOIN US AND BUY A $20 TEE TO SUPPORT. ALL PROCEEDS TO CHARITY THAT SUPPORTS INNER-CITY YOUTH ENTREPRENEURSHIP PROGRAMS.

We are Concrete Jungle Clothing and we are launching a grassroots campaign to bring this show back to life and we can use all the help we can get to achieve this goal!!!!!!!

We are donating proceeds to a charity that supports inner-city youth entrepreneurship programs.

You can get all the info on this from the dedicated website at http://www.bringbackhtmia.com.

You can learn more about Concrete Jungle at http://www.ConcreteJungleClothing.com

August 24, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Mike

Pls bring back HTMIIA HBO....

August 13, 2012 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  26. Amy

WHAT I can't believe they canceled How to Make it In America. I loved that show! They really should reconsider and bring it back. They don't have anything else good on HBO.

August 13, 2012 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
  27. Rolando

What??? they cacelled the show... noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! this show is a big source of inspiration, for me and my bro, we're also entrepreneurs, when we're feeling down this show picks us up to move forward, HBO you gotta bring it back! you just gotta.

August 1, 2012 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Free Web Traffic System

I simply couldn't leave your website prior to suggesting that I actually enjoyed the usual information a person supply for your guests? Is going to be again continuously to check out new posts

June 6, 2012 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  29. Instant Traffic System

Somebody necessarily assist to make critically posts I'd state. This is the first time I frequented your web page and thus far? I surprised with the analysis you made to make this particular publish extraordinary. Wonderful process!

June 3, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Empower Network Scam

I used to be recommended this website via my cousin. I am no longer certain whether or not this submit is written via him as nobody else understand such precise approximately my difficulty. You are amazing! Thanks!

May 27, 2012 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Alex L

an how could they do this!

May 27, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Jim

PLEse bring this show back!

May 22, 2012 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Jim

PLEse bring this show back! Its my favorite show. I will pay so much money to see this again.

May 22, 2012 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Jordan Richardson

The cancellation of this series was a huge oversight on HBOs part. It has the potential to be as big or bigger than entourage by appealing to both male and female demographics. Personally I had never heard abut the show until post season 2. Maybe it just needed some time and press. This is also one of the problems with piracy, as many viewers probably downloaded and streamed the show, a problem for shows watched mostly by young people like How to Make it.. and Bored to Death.

May 15, 2012 at 3:33 am | Report abuse |
  35. how to generate income

Great blog right here! Additionally your site a lot up fast! What host are you using? Can I get your affiliate link for your host? I desire my web site loaded up as fast as yours lol

May 12, 2012 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  36. writing online job

Thanks , I have just been searching for info approximately this subject for a while and yours is the best I have came upon so far. But, what concerning the bottom line? Are you positive concerning the source?|What i don't understood is in truth how you are now not really much more neatly-favored than you might be now. You're so intelligent.

May 9, 2012 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Jason C.

HBO...subscription cancelled. No, really...this is so stupid and not worth my money. When they wake up and start creating good shows again that last for awhile I'll then consider getting the channel again.

May 8, 2012 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Crea sito gratis

Great website. Lots of useful info here. I am sending it to a few pals ans additionally sharing in delicious. And of course, thanks to your sweat!

May 8, 2012 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  39. cash money machine vault

Nice blog here! Also your website so much up very fast! What web host are you the use of? Can I get your associate hyperlink for your host? I wish my web site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

April 28, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  40. jilly j

I can't believe they cancelled this show it was really good HBO what were you thinking I have been waiting for it to come back on. So I am shocked!!!! and very disappointed. HBO YOU SUCK!!!!!!

April 21, 2012 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Harry

This Sucks; I think I'm going to cancel my HBO. I quess the show didn't play into their Boring played out movies repeating line-up!!

March 17, 2012 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  42. Mykel

I love this show, I'm trying to start a business with my best friend too and the show really motivated me. not to mention it was the best show in your line up in my opinion. PLEASE bring it back, and give it a chance to catch on.

February 10, 2012 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |
  43. Bee

Disappointed! How to Make it in America was a really good show. For me it was like – sit back and relax with friends & enjoy the show...

February 2, 2012 at 5:16 am | Report abuse |
  44. Cody grove

HBO, you really have lost it. Sopranoes Hung, and rome. the list could go on. I had a subscription with you guys since the start. Because of no commercial and GREAT shows. you have lost your talent. im sorry to say ths but, im watching as you die...............But back to the reason to why i like this show because with all the talk of america falling and we where nothing. this show shows that with work your able to still have the american dream. After watching every episode i wanna get up and do something. Why this show failed was because you let it (ZERO! advertising). So why dont you take a lesson from te show and get motivated to bring back good shows and quit messing with dumb shows like enlighted luck etc.

December 28, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  45. JP

"CANCELLED by YOSI"

@AllureJG

December 23, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Kara Young

As an actor and an artist, this show gave me that extra boost of hope...

December 23, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Manny

This shoe was like the older brother of all up and coming entrepreneurs and designers. We will miss it and hope it comes back. Can't knock the hustle!

December 23, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  48. K-Ram

These were three good shows! SInce the finale's of Entourage, Bill Maher being done for the season, HBO is lacking quality shows. True Blood just doesnt fill the void!

December 22, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  49. C

My wife and I watched season 1 and it was alright. Season 2 was several episodes in before we realized it had even started so we never got into this season. TBH we really didn't care because it really wasn't that great to begin with. The real lose is Hung but with how bad the season finale was we weren't surprised it got canned too.

December 22, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Paul Noumir

Are you guys nuts trying to get rid of this show. I love this show it's even getting more of my attention as it goes on.

December 22, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Tami

I am shocked. I loved How to Make it In America. I loved all the characters..... I'm seriously bummed out.

December 22, 2011 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  52. Elizabeth

I am so sad.. How to make it in America was an awesome show. BRING IT BACK HBO. I NEED A REAL ENDING!.

December 22, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  53. david fried

Who cares about How to Make it In America. That show was a lame excuse for hip hop culture, and selling ugly ass shorts and hoodies. I think 1 in ever 3 people started a clothing line in 2010-2011.

Hung is AWESOME, AND SO IS BORED TO DEATH! You will see, a cult following will hit bored to death once it gets on regualr cable for re-runs.

December 22, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  54. flowiz

December 22, 2011 at 5:30 am | Report abuse |
  55. Uncle Fishbits

283,924 like the fb page, and 1619 people, so far, have commented. That is, precisely, .5% of the entire population of people that "liked", and care about, the show. I think if less than a half of percent of people are engaged in the cancellation, you can either say the show is a failure, or Facebook is. It's my assumption it's the latter.

December 22, 2011 at 3:58 am | Report abuse |
  56. Scott

Cable TV's a dying beast. If HBO would let people subscribe to HBOGO without having to have a cable subscription, I'd pay for it. I'm not gonna waste my money on 150 other channels that I'll never watch just to get access to HBO. TIll then, it's torrent time, and if a show doesn't make it, well, that's too bad. Change your subscription model HBO and more people would pay you to keep these shows going.

December 21, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Tiffany

Ah. Luis Guzman off TV...damn!!!! Oh well!!!! BYE!!!!!!!!!

December 21, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  58. lizzi

i don't know the show "how to make it..." but i LOVE luis guzman... he's a wonderful character actor and a good human being.. :)

December 21, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Who Cares

Never heard of 'How to Make It' and who the heck is Luis Guzman. Must be a figment of some jerks imagination because it is evident he isn't a star and will never make it.

December 21, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • lmao

And yet you sit there reading this and commenting on it. Who cares indeed.

January 8, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Liqmaticus

I was p1ss3d that Man Up was cancelled. ABC can sh0v3 it where the sun don't sh1n3.

December 21, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Dissappointed

I can understand Hung being cancelled. It was a good show but semed to have lost any real direction.

How to Make it in America was a really good show that could have been great if it had been given a chance to succeed. 6 short episodes per season does not allow for much character and story depth and the 18 month delay between seasons prevents any momentum in viewer growth.

Poor form HBO

December 21, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  62. John K

"only about money and ratings:? How the heck do you think shows get paid for?

December 21, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • MarkA

HBO doesn't get money from the actual viewers of their shows. They get their money from people subscribing to the network. HBO isn't like regular networks thats why you see no advertisement on HBO programming they get their money from subscriptions. So the move to knock off shows due to ratings isn't the issue its just if the producers feel like pulling it for other reasons. Enlightened had worse ratings that How to Make it in America yet it got renewed.

December 21, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Anomic Office Drone

And now I suddenly don't mind that I don't get HBO.

December 21, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  64. jshah

Basing tv on ratings just really sucks... They screw up great shows over and over. Worst

December 21, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  65. missy

It is sad that TV has become only about the money and ratings. If a show does not have a large audience then it is doomed. Those were great shows that got cancelled. Something good had to take the place since Entourage is gone. Freaking execs!!!!!!!!!!

December 21, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • stuart

Yeah! They run their business like a business! Isn't that crazy missy! I also don't get why when nobody buys something that company has to go away even if you really really like it! Wahhhhh!

December 21, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roosevelt

I'm not sure how else TV is supposed to be run - other than by ratings and money. On the other hand, it is true that sometimes what some consider "good" shows do not initially have great ratings (e.g., Seinfeld, Star Trek).

December 21, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Colvin

missy I couldn't have said it better , Long Live Entourage ! and Long Live How to make it in America !
      2 greatest shows ever made

January 15, 2012 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  66. bert

i guess they dont have streaming websites in utah

December 21, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Adam

I concur

December 21, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  68. B=Dog

Dammit! 'Bored' and 'How to make it' were great shows.

December 21, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  69. abraham

We didnt allow them to show those programs here in Utah. Thankfully we have a good clean state with no need for such rubbish.

December 21, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • be quiet

Utah sucks.

December 21, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charles

this^

December 21, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charles Martel

Huh? Abraham, do you realize you have to subscribe to HBO in order to watch shows produced and broadcast by HBO. They don't just magically appear for free on your TV. I live in Utah and my HBO is the same as HBO in California or Florida.

December 21, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • chris

LMAO "We have a good clean State" ... what does that have ANYTHING to do with what is aired on Television??? and you have to pay more to get HBO. Do you know how things work in this century? I'm flabbergasted that you figured out how to get on the internet.

December 21, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • abrahammy

Hey Abraham; how do you separate the men from the boys in UT? With a crowbar. A really REALLY strong crowbar.

December 21, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guheek

I notice you troll quite a bit Abraham. spreading nonsense as u go...

December 21, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • lizzi

you are kidding, right? !!

December 21, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tiffany

That isn't true.

December 21, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Really Abraham? Sensorship is never a good thing. Do you sensor the internet? Where does it stop?

December 22, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Tina

What is a good, clean state made up of?

Does it have something to do with 'god'? Because if so, who cares?

December 22, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • LOLZ

yes keeping five women and twenty kids happy takes to much time up to watch trash tv...

December 24, 2011 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Clean state? Last time I checked ya'll are heroin crazy over there.... No alcohol really, but China Gold crazy for sure.

December 28, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lenny.Nice

It sucks! The best show!

January 22, 2012 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • George G.

I just moved back to NY from UT Nov. 2011, and I certainly was able to watch the series. There are a ton of misconceptions about Utah, which were cleared up for me when I moved out there...except for that fact that it sucks.

February 22, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |