Simon Cowell: I'm cocky by nature
December 20th, 2011

Simon Cowell: I'm cocky by nature

With the first season of "The X Factor" scheduled to wrap this week, Simon Cowell says he's keeping a level-headed perspective on how well the series has launched in the States.

"Never finish a season thinking it's the best you've ever done, because you have to feel that you can get better," Cowell, who serves as one of "X Factor's" judges/mentors, told CNN Monday. "I think I probably came here a bit too cocky, but I'm cocky by nature."

He recalls that he was coming off a "massive" run overseas, and with the adrenaline pumping, he couldn't wait to bring "X Factor" to America. "One of these artists is going to be the legacy of this year...and it's going to be better next year."

He can not only predict that "X Factor" will improve with time, but he can also envision the type of winner we'll come to see.

"Within two years a group will win this show because I think I know the kind of group that could win a show like this," Cowell said.

What do you think? How did the first season of the U.S. version of "The X Factor" do?

1. Donna

X Factor certainly needs a lot of improvement. Both in format and in judging personalities. Get rid of Nicole for one, she is beyond annoying.
    Still, compared to last season's Idol though, it was still more interesting and gritty to watch. Simon and LA are very honest compared to the Candy Coated Producer Scripted judging and commenting By Steve Tyler and J Lo. Also Randy has been co-opted. He was so much better when Simon was around.

December 21, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  2. citizenUSA

That's just another way of saying, "I'm a dick".

December 21, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ward Whittaker

Compared to last seasons Idol, it was crap. We did not get to know very much about the contestants. There was no cohesion between the contestants. The concept of the judges mentoring them was a fiasco because judges were biased towards their own charges and the very obvious pi$$ing contest between LA and Simon prejudiced their decisions. I enjoyed the contestants but I am looking forward to Idol and The Voice and will not watch US X-Factor next season. Simon is an obnoxious twerp. The overlit stage was nothing but a distraction.

December 21, 2011 at 3:42 am | Report abuse |
  4. Evel Knievel

What he really said was, "I like c0ck, by nature."

December 20, 2011 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • rj

Evel

I always LOVE how gay people can spot each other miles away....congrats

December 21, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Shabaz

It started going downhill when they replaced Cheryl Cole with Nicole Somethingzinger. I would watch the show just to see Cheryl and her accent and her personality. Nicole comes across as a self promoting, annoying, fake person with no real judging instincts.
    Still, much better than Am Idol with the scripted fake judges. J Lo and Steven Tyler have got to be the worst mistake ever.

December 20, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. LoJenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVdV4X2M2AI&w=640&h=390]

December 20, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  7. AJGG

I was addicted to the show until the judging fiasco. A judge with a conflict of interest recuses himself or herself for a reason. I hope the judging for X Factor is restructured next year. If the judging is fake, at least allow me - the viewer - the perception that it's real. Otherwise, the show isn't a competion as the producers label it. Even worse - it's just not fun to watch, unless there's nothing else on. For me, that was a big drop from the appointment-TV the show started out to be. I'll give the show anoher try next year, but won't hang in as long if the judging component still doesn't work.

December 20, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Devon Taylor

I agree that the judges quibbling was very distracting, but when I just ignored it, i found that the show had high quality contestants. That's what's important. Any one of the three finalists deserve the prize, and I suspect that #2 and #3 will have good contracts of their own shortly after the curtains close.

December 21, 2011 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. lesswe4get

simon is very happy (gay, joyful.) lol

December 20, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  9. No Fan

@November,it's probably more like Simon,no member.

December 20, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. really!!

9inch, give it to simon

December 20, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. boocat

I wish this no talent moron would stop polluting our airwaves with this crap.

December 20, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  12. November

I have an 9 inch one.

December 20, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Bob 351

I seriously hope that they can tone down the bickering between the judges and make the show about the singers next year, if not then you might as well call it a day after the two years run.

December 20, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Kim Smith

A major disappointment. Looking forward to American Idol.

December 20, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |