Actors to McDonald's: 'Stop torturing hens for McMuffins'
December 20th, 2011

Actors to McDonald's: 'Stop torturing hens for McMuffins'

Apparently on a mission to make himself even more adorable, Ryan Gosling is coming to the aid of egg-laying hens. According to Change.org, the actor is petitioning McDonald's on behalf of the animals that help make the chain's breakfast sandwiches.

The “Drive” star has joined celebs like Zooey Deschanel, Steve-O and Alicia Silverstone in the campaign to convince McDonald's to stop using “battery cage” hens to obtain their eggs and other products.

Ryan and his fellow animal-loving actors have partnered with Mercy For Animals to write McDonald’s CEO Jim Skinner about the issue.

According to the Washington Post, the fast food chain recently cut ties with a supplier that was found to display cruelty against chickens (thanks to a video released by MFA), but Gosling wants Mickey D’s to do more.

The petition urges McDonald’s to “stop torturing hens for McMuffins" and asks for comprehensive changes across the board, including switching to a cage-free system it says are better for birds.

At the time of this post, the petition had 32,680 supporters.

McDonald's says in a statement to the Post that the company is currently purchasing a million eggs per month from "traditional, cage-free and enriched laying hen housing systems" as part of a three-year study comparing the various systems on a commercial scale.

1. 24-Volts Battery

You recognize thus considerably in terms of this subject, produced me in my opinion believe it from a lot of numerous angles. Its like men and women are not interested except it is one thing to accomplish with Lady gaga! Your individual stuffs nice. At all times deal with it up!

May 8, 2012 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jb2817

McDonalds to Ryan,,, Go McEff yourself

December 22, 2011 at 7:19 am | Report abuse |
  3. The Måd Råp3r

Just did a presentation about factory farming, it's totally disgusting across the board. Everythings covered in sh¡t and booted full of antibiotics. It's completely warped. I'd never go vegan or vegetarian but I at least try and get my meat from Whole Foods or Trader Joes now.

December 21, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  4. Heather

First of all, do you really think those are real eggs? And really, an egg is an egg is an egg! Chickens were put on this earth to lay eggs...who the hell cares!

December 21, 2011 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
  5. Yay and Nay

Factory farming is not the same as "animals eating each other." It's insanely tortuous, shortsighted and wasteful. Also, carnivores eat only meat. Humans are not carnivores: we can be omnivores but are even more healthy as herbivores.

December 21, 2011 at 4:28 am | Report abuse |
  6. Dan

Right, these people do have TOO much time on their hands. There are much better causes to seek out. GO VEGAN!! Get serious! Animals eat each other! We are carnivorous creatures, we need meat for our bodies to fuction properly. FACT. Also, a human life IS more important. GOT IT.

December 21, 2011 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
  7. Dan

December 21, 2011 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  8. meh

dont care, i love me some mcmuffins

December 20, 2011 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Anomic Office Drone

I believe livestock should be treated humanely. The problem with campaigns like these is that they are not about humane treatment of livestock. It all comes down to the fact that they think everyone should be a vegan.

December 20, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • pam

The world would be a better place if people were vegan. That is not going to happen-at least not in this life. Campaigns for better treatment of animals are just that-I fight for better treatment of all animals-dogs, cats, elephants, tigers, cows, chickens, turkeys, monkeys, even mice. It is not to make you a vegan. I am not a vegan. I am a vegetarian however, and I gave up meat because of the way animals are treated. I have guilt daily when I eat cheese because of how dairy cows are treated and what happens to their baby male calves. However, I am human and I do the best I can. I would rather pay my taxes to help the poor or help improve the lives of animals then pay for prisoners-unfortunately, only government can make that happen. What is wrong with animals enjoying their lives before the die? We get to.

December 20, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Anone

You sir are perfect.

December 20, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. matt

nothing prevents you from helping people in need and buying cage free eggs instead of battery cage. or go vegan and prevent heart disease.

December 20, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. be quiet

Gary, you stay away from my woman.

December 20, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Gary

Hahahaha .. I don't know who you are, but when I see you on multiple posts always talking about eating buttholes, i laugh every time lol

December 20, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Lonnie

That's the best these people have got? Jumping on McDonalds? Please, do something worthwhile with all that money. Help a kid, feed a kid, but find something worthwhile. How can you defend a chicken when human beings are in such need at this time of year?

December 20, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anone

All suffering is connected. Him helping is a lot already. Most celebrities don't do much. His passion for animal's welfare shouldn't be considered unimportant.

December 20, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • pam

Suffering is not discriminatory. It shouldn't happen to any living creature. We are living creatures, just like animals. Thank you, Ryan, and others for helping to put a larger bullseye on restaurants who don't support a cruelty free life for the food they ultimately serve.

December 20, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Boof

I had an Egg McMuffin for breakfast this morning and you know what? I think I'll have one tomorrow too.

December 20, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  16. cew

No, this is Ryan Gosling of "The Notebook". Maybe thinking of Jon? Lol

December 20, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  17. ProperVillain

Meanwhile in America: People still live in poverty, people still go hungry to bed at night, we have no jobs, we have no leadership, our government is a hopeless mess and we are still engaged in pointless wars overseas that leave hundreds dead every year. But, by all means, let's use our time, influence and resources making sure a bunch of hens are ok. Proof that most celebrities have far more money and time on their hands than brains...

December 20, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anone

"Life is life – whether in a cat, or dog or man. There is no difference there between a cat or a man. The idea of difference is a human conception for man's own advantage." -Sri Aurobindo

December 20, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  18. jen

Isnt Ryan the guy that was married to Kate. As in Ryan and Kate Plus 8? He needs to be worried about his 8 kids instead of some chickens.

December 20, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • some people are clueless

Umm no, that's Jon Gosselin and he's about 10 years older than this hottie, Ryan Gosling.

December 20, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • pam

do you live in a box??

December 20, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • wait a second

people are considered clueless if they don't know about that waste-of-intelligence tv show?? sorry we can't all be so hip and in-the-know by watching jersey shore, the kardash-stupid idiots, etc., etc.

December 20, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  19. plungie

I dont know. Egg McMuffins are mighty tasty. They shouldnt hurt the birds but they are mighty yummy in our tummies.

December 20, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  20. LOL

I'll support this only because Ryan does. He is one tasty treat.

December 20, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |