Mia Farrow: I don't buy the Kim Jong Il mourning
December 19th, 2011

Mia Farrow: I don't buy the Kim Jong Il mourning

According to Jezebel, Mia Farrow is skeptical of North Korean reports depicting citizens sobbing in the streets over the death of the communist country's leader, Kim Jong Il.

Farrow, 66, is known for her political awareness and activism. On Sunday, she expressed doubt over the authenticity of emotions shown in footage of North Korea's mourning citizens.

"N Korea: Ppl sobbing, wailing & thrashing about – as an actor I can say, they would never get hired," she tweeted with a link to footage.

Kim is believed to have been 69 at the time of his death, and is said to have died of a heart attack Saturday due to "overwork" after "dedicating his life to the people."

1. Cantrellz Shannaho

Hi there, this weekend is pleasant in support of me, because this point in time i am reading this impressive educational post here at my house.

July 11, 2012 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mock Draft

I enjoy, result in I found exactly what I was taking a look for. You have ended my 4 day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

April 27, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bradenton Foreclosures

January 29, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  4. craig

Actors should just stick with acting, models with modeling, and singers with singing. Nothing bothers me more than when celebrities, with too much money and time, and feeling like they are just shells that act out scripts that they had no part in writing, try to make themselves feel like more than what they are (which is just someone who pretends to be someone else), and abuses their fame by commenting upon things that have nothing to do with them. Things like animal rights or famine I would understand, because they are things that do not require an expert to understand, but commenting upon the public reaction in North Korea as if she were a political scientist just shows what a bimbo she is.

December 26, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  5. james

Mia, I like, sort think like that they were like,,,faking it or something. Yeah, and pretending and stuff too...

December 21, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Average Joe

Dedicating his life to the people? Really?? There must be a typo, it should say "Dedicating his life to OPPRESSING the people."

December 21, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. J-Man

Who the F cares what this woman has to say?

December 21, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ronh

Mia Farrow is an outstanding individual and humanitarian. Her list of accomplishments and international recognition from the U.S. government, foreign governments and the U.N. is impressive. She has spent years of her life in some of the most devastated and hopeless areas of the world always working to help out. I couldn't be more impressed with an individual and wish I could meet her one day. With all of her experience dealing with refugees and oppressed people, I do take very seriously what she has to say.

December 21, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Citizen

Yet Hollywood embraces a dictator called Castro. No difference between the two, but one is fashionable the other is not.

December 21, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  10. sag coopersmith

nude hats are unattractive on anyone, let alone any already washed out 66 year old

December 21, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  11. Goldstein Is Watching You

Watching those videos, my mind can't help but conjure images of Orwell's "Two Minutes of Hate".

December 21, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  12. Brandon

@ Tonga, why don't you just move ur butt to North Korea if you think that life is better there then the good ole USA. your education is awful and you need to learn to spell correctly.

December 21, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  13. Lynn

Let me tell you the true , I came from the communist country too, everytime our "dear leader" died, we all have to cry very hard, the harder we cry, the more they leave us a lone, I remember exactly how we had to put some hot chili pepper near our eyes, so we can produce some faked tears, we cried days and nights and my parents have to pretend they were so suffered , they get sick because they couldn't bear the loss of our "dear leader ", they cried for our safety, my uncle who is a brave man, he just refused to cry and the next day, the very next day after "our dear leader" died, he just disappeared ! and that make my parents even more nervous . After run from North to South, then to America, my parents were still so afraid of communist, my dad use to watch the CNN and told us: what if America become communists , where else should we go ? I love you Dad, I am in a safe place now . Please rest in peace .

December 21, 2011 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  14. Demi Moore's B00bs

Let me motorboat you

December 21, 2011 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  15. Meh

Mia is really in character: she's playing the role of someone she believes to be relevant

December 21, 2011 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  16. Wood Ye

I like arm-n-hammer baking soda because I love yellow boxes

December 21, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  17. DemiHuman

I don't believe its geniune either – but just b/c Mia Farrow said so? Psh...hardly.

December 21, 2011 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  18. sowhat

so who gives a rats as- what this nobody "thinks".

December 21, 2011 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  19. PoBoy

Mia Farrow is an actor, not Psychiatrist. Besides, who the hell cares what she thinks about the NK people, and why is this even posted as news?

December 21, 2011 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  20. Franny

That's it folks trash the messenger, and not the message. Pathetic, and people wonder why we're in such trouble?

December 21, 2011 at 7:09 am | Report abuse |
  21. barker

Why is CNN so afraid of our success? We can't get the answer. Maybe you can.
    .p a p a r a z z i n c dot c o m

December 21, 2011 at 6:25 am | Report abuse |
  22. D.Smithee

Oh, shut up, Mia–you haven't been relevant in decades.

December 21, 2011 at 4:44 am | Report abuse |
  23. frank

THIS IS HORRIBLY SAD NOT BECAUSE OF THE DEATH OF KIM. BUT BECAUSE IF YOU ARE NORTH KOREAN AND YOU DO NOT DISPLAY THE PROPER AMOUNT OF SORROW YOU WILL BE SENT TO THE MOST HORRIFIC UNIMAGINABLE SLAVE LABOR CAMPS. GO TO AMAZON NOW AND BUY "AQUARIUMS OF PYONGYANG" AND "EYES OF THE TAILLESS ANIMAL".

YODOK IS ONE CAMP AND IT IS LITERALLY HELL ON EARTH. WHOEVER BELIEVES IN A LOVING GOD IS AN IDIOT. NO LOVING GOD WOULD ALLOW THE HORRIBLE TORTURE AND SUFFERING THAT GOES ON IN NORTH KOREAN PRISON CAMPS.

CHINA SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES FOR LETTING THIS REGIME CONTINUE ITS RELENTLESS OPPRESSION. THE WORLD SHOULD BE ASHAMED THAT THEY'VE LET THIS LEVEL OF SUFFERING OCCCUR IN MODERN DAY. I WOULD VENTURE TO SAY THAT THE TORTURES THE NORTH KOREANS ARE PROPOGATING ON THEIR PEOPLE ARE STILL NOT AS BAD AS THE HORRIFIC DEVICES THE LOVELY CATHOLIC CHURCH USED ON "HERETICS"AND POLITICAL DISSIDENTS IN THE DARK AGES.

December 21, 2011 at 2:02 am | Report abuse |
  24. Jon

Great "political awareness," Captain Obvious.

December 21, 2011 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  25. Sandra

maybe they are crying but with relief, in hopes that now the food the farmers grow will start going to feed the populace instead of just fattening up the leaders. That clean water, a working electrical grid will be a reality instead of a fairy tale.

December 21, 2011 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  26. Rob

Its like this people if you are not crying and you are in North Korea you are going to a prison camp, but hold on a moment. Not just you but your mom, dad, sister or brother aunt uncle etc. not for a while but for the rest of your life. That's what it's like in NK. Now understand these folks seen crying are from Pyongyang. You will not see another soul but those in that Capitol. The have miners who follow you every where. They take all possessions from you on entrance to this country. Where you will not get them back until you are crossing back over.
    I know this because my Uncle has guard the border from The SK side. These folks don't have freedom plain and simple. They don't know any better don't be harsh on people from NK. Hate the government there sure. But don't hate a child that puts its hand on the stove unknowingly that it will burn. Godless the people of North Korea.

December 20, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  27. achepotle

She is still bitter that she couldn't control her own Korean.

December 20, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  28. james

She doesn't know a thing about NK! she's an expert now?

December 20, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  29. jdurand

Apparently, Mia Farrow and everyone at CNN failed to realize that the hyperlink labeled "footage" shows a video of Kim Il Sung's funeral.

Derp!

December 20, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  30. homer

On a completely shallow note, she looks more like 36 than 66! Impressive.

December 20, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Larry Pooface

Did she come up with that all on her own? Famous people always think they have to point the obvious out to everyone else. Eat turds.

December 20, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  32. erich2112x

I don't believe chocolate mouse can make you conceive a devil child.

December 20, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Kim Jong Un

All loyal and loving citizens of the paradise of the People's Republic of Korea come and show your grief in Pyongyang central square. Show your love and and mourning of our Dear Leader who has dedicated his life so that our country could be the utopia it is today.

P.S. everyone who shows up gets a free week's rations for their family. If you shed tears, you get 10 days rations. Thank you, that is all.

December 20, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Drew

Too bad Kim Jong Il is rotting in hell. He must think he's on vacation compared to the state of North Korea the way he left it.

December 20, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Coriolana

Those tears are certainly real-real as the cash that paid for them. *yawn* The Egyptians and Romans did this too-they're called 'professional mourners'. So what?

December 20, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Sandy

This video is from 2008. So while her point may be valid, this video doesn't support it.

December 20, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Sokka1

So of all the issues going on in the world right now, we find this to be newsworthy to the extent of spending this much time and so many reports on it???? Yeah, ignore prostrate cancer and worry to death about going bald!

You people sicken me!

December 20, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Drew

I'm pretty sure that worrying about North Korea in the hands of terrorists is kind of a big deal.

December 20, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  38. SixDegrees

Why are we supposed to care what Mia Farrow thinks about anything?

December 20, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Scott

On behalf of millions of mourning North Koreans I say to Mia why don't you mind your own business? Better yet, Why don't you spend some time with your duaghter and teach her about whats appropriate with daddy.

December 20, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  40. HRPufnstuf

Heck, I thought they were all laughing!

December 20, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Barry G.

In the Ancient Near East people earned a living as paid mourners.

Perhaps this is another paid mourner.

It takes a certain skill to summon such tears, and there was a price required, for such professional mourners.

The good news is the one who tormented his own people–the one who feasted and drank sumptuously, while millions starved, will do this no more.

December 20, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Barry G.

Perhaps they were tears of joy. After all the reign of terror of one who starved millions, while he lived in comfort and wealth, is over.

Deliverance!

December 20, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Jenny

This video isn't even about Kim Jong Il - it's Kim Il Sung. What?

December 20, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Caroline

Mourn like the communist...." Cry or you die " "Cry harder you are not convincing"....This stupid site should have thumbs up/down.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 20, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  45. J.C.

You can't fool old Mia, she's much smarter than the rest of us.

December 20, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  46. MalcmXcremnt

I don't buy the crocodile tears with the North Koreans anymore than I did back when we were expected to accept that crock when everyone boo hoo'ed over Kennedy's death.

December 20, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • boocat

Unless you were around when Kennedy was ASSASSINATED (big difference than some guy dropping dead of a heart attack), you should talk about something you know something about.

December 20, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Blue 19

"dedicated his life to the people"? The regime's spind doctors must expect their people will eat up that line of BS, after all they can't provide them any food. If this murderer was so concerned about his people, maybe he shouldn't have been the biggest client of Hennesy Cognac, at $800K per year. He son doen't looked like he's missed many meals either. Those two ate more in one day than an entire family would get in a year.

December 20, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Kyle H. Davis

Just another ignorant celebrity activist who knows nothing about their "Cause of the moment". Spend some time in a Communist dictatorship, where every minute of the day is filled with indoctrination, and you would clearly understand that the sobbing is real. JUSTIFIED? That's a different matter. However, in the people's minds, he was nearly a God on earth. – It does not take a lot of effort once you control everything the people see, hear, read, know.

The people of the DPRK are not aware that the US was the largest food donator during their famine, or that US aid to the DPRK since 1995 is well over a billion dollars – In their minds, it is the "Imperialist Americans" who caused the famine, and that it was the greatness of their leader that "brought them out of it".

She really needs to take some time to understand the mentality of people living under this type of rule. It was the same in China (and still is, to some extent). -

December 20, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  49. humtake

Of course she doesn't. That's the era we live in now. As soon as the media reports something, the first thing you are supposed to do is say how the media is lying. I'm no fan of most journalism but I know to take the news with a grain of salt, but that doesn't mean I need to go spreading my own propaganda around because I don't believe something.

December 20, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Don't quit your day job, honey

Just like most Hollywood political know-it-all's who open their lap, you are clueless on this subject.

December 20, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Tara

Shuck my corn! Now I feel so much more informed. I wasn't sure at first...

December 20, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Sheila

I was waiting her opinion with bated breath.

December 20, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  53. Stick to the script

Why is it that some actors/entertainers... think that their celebrity buys them an opinion? But whats even more sad..... is me sitting here typing a response to what CNN and this has-been thinks.

December 20, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  54. mikebo

What a great guy

December 20, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  55. Enoch100

Mia Farrow – who?

December 20, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  56. reggie

She has no clue what brainwashing is, since she herself is. When Stalin died it was much worse in Soviet Union, and Stalin was called the same way father etc. Mia...just get on playing and stay out of politics, all Hollywood actors think that if they have money and fame, they can be good at everythig else, while some can, others will never be...if you have no idea how brainwashed YOU COULD BE...(we all are to some degree, however the very DEGREE is the most important distinction

December 20, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  57. Alex

Why, why, why, why, oh why in the world should we give a flying you know what about what MIA FARROW thinks?

December 20, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  58. Woody Allen

Mia is just mad that yet another Korean is being showed more love than she got.

December 20, 2011 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  59. GonzoG

I 100% believe it.

I've seen videos from the few outreach programs that go into NK. One was an outreach that did cataract surgery under positivily medieval conditions. After the surgery, the patients did not thank their surgeons, but bowed and profusely thanked a picture of Kim. The docs were advised this would happen but were shocked by it none the less. Kim Jong-Il WORSHIPED in NK.

He has to be–it's the only way he could allow his people to starve and still maintain power.

December 20, 2011 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  60. BAB

I agree with Mia. It looks like professional mourners, fake from the word go. A case of bad acting.

December 20, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  61. musings

Mia Farrow, having so many adopted children, may have some experience of Korea (tho. not the North). She attributes the outpouring to acting, and she is probably right that this is "ceremonial crying" . There used to be hired mourners in funeral processions in the West (read your Charles Dickens about London).

December 20, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  62. marcia

If they don't visibly mourn...they are shot. Mandatory mourning! I'm glad that Mia brought this up. She's only thinking what we are all thinking.

December 20, 2011 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  63. Padraig

It's like rethuglican'ts extolling the virtues of b-movie actor turned class-warrior against working Americans, Ronnie Rayguns. Except the Koreans are being forced to engage in this maudlin display, rethugs actually believe their own BS.

December 20, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  64. sigbin

WHY IS THIS IN THE NEWS?, DEP'T.

December 20, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  65. Dean

Is CNN serious? Am I really supposed to care what Mia Farrow thinks about what goes on in the world?

December 20, 2011 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  66. Steve

Who gives a damn what Mia Farrow thinks about anything?

December 20, 2011 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  67. jj

A kid could of told u it was fake..althouh north koreans are brainwashed slaves...

December 20, 2011 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  68. mike

My B.A. is in Psych with an M.A. in Sociology, I can state it is my professional opinion that I clearly do not possess sufficient data to form a professional opinion. I can however state with a reasonable sense of accuracy that CNN is rapidly losing any journalistic integrity.

December 20, 2011 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  69. That video is from 1994, further proof of a non-story

like I said

December 20, 2011 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  70. JustNanci

I don't buy Mia Farrow.

December 20, 2011 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  71. Baffled

I'm a little confused, I clicked on this link thinking that they had actually posted Mia Farrows opinion on the mourning,...and I guess they really did. I'm really curious as to what her credentials are regarding studies in Sociology, Mass Psychology, Foreign Affairs, etc? I guess I'm just baffled as to why CNN would link this garbage journalistic piece.

December 20, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Mike

December 20, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
    • m

I'm baffled that you are baffled, Baffled!

December 20, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  72. Rich1955

Seriously CNN! I respect Mia Farrow for all that she has done however this is major international event with potential nuclear consequences. Your reporting should be based on responses from world leaders and true experts on the situation. Why not ask Britney Spears what she thinks?

December 20, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  73. Nessiria

Who is Mia Farrow?! And.,, why do we care what some hollywood actress has to say.

December 20, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  74. arrec barrwin

So rong, Earfrings!

December 20, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  75. Pablo

The Footage linked to is 17 years old, 1994's death of Kim Il Sung!! The broadcast reactions to Kim Jong Il's death, who in the video is walking about, saddened by the death of his father, seem restrained and thoughtful in comparison.

December 20, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  76. David

1. Who gives a da@n what Mia Farrow thinks?
    2. So what if they are acting out pain and suffering? We call it reality TV and it seems just fine to witness Housewives & suicides, Kardashian gator tears, and fist-pumping goombahs.
    3. We have more important issues to focus on. This is nothing but diversionary journalism.

December 20, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  77. Kathie

milford, I'm guessing you're probably about 15. Anyway, while all Americans may not care whether their grief is real, Korea is important and you should pay attention to what's going on there. We have 28,000 troops there for a reason. And I agree with the others who mentioned that the video link in the story is about Kim Il Sung and NOT Kim Jong Il. There will be plenty of videos forthcoming of the wailing and carrying on for Kim Jong Il. The sad thing is that the top North Korean party members seem to have no idea just how ridiculous it looks to the rest of the world.

December 20, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  78. MW

I too am a non-believer!

December 20, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  79. milford

Mia wat does it matter to any american wat koreans do? I know frankly i dont care what they do or if they get shot for not doing. Dont you have real news so people wont be focused on wether or not youre a credible journalist?

December 20, 2011 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  80. Diane

Gee Mia, ya think?????

December 20, 2011 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  81. Thinker

We can send boehner to cry on our behalf =)

December 20, 2011 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  82. rad666

well thank god she pointed out that this was probably staged, the restof the world never would have figured out that if the people of North Korea didn't mourn properly they would probably get a bullet to the head.

December 20, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  83. Mike

Mia – dear one, you don't understand American culture let alone that of North Korea!

December 20, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  84. TC

She didn't tell anyone how to mourn, she stated she didn't believe it; and the fact that people are responding to her cooment makes her relevant.

December 20, 2011 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  85. grayweeks

OK, it wasn't CNN- I just looked at Mia's tweet, and sure enough it is video from 1994. I don't have a twitter account and probably never will, but will someone kindly tell her to make a correction? (80% of the internet = misinformation...and then let's repost it!)

December 20, 2011 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  86. sean

I don't blame them for faking that they care or being upset.. if they don't I'm sure they will be imprisoned or killed.. its ashamed that so many people had to live this repressed life under this horrible dictator.

December 20, 2011 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  87. grayweeks

THE VIDEO LINKED IN THE ARTICLE IS NOT CORRECT, IT IS FROM 1994!! Did anyone watch any of the video said to have been linked by Mia? Either CNN got it wrong, or Mia did, because that is video from 1994 when *Kim Il Sung*, NOT the recent *Kim Jong Il* I have not seen any current video of people weeping and thrashing over Kim Jong Il, nor do I care, but this whole story seems to be based on a WRONG video Mia has seen.

December 20, 2011 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  88. Jim

Cry or die.

December 20, 2011 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
  89. Beautiful Vixen

Lol

December 20, 2011 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
  90. Denise

I don't believe it either. I think "mourning" like that is a political necessity to show allegiance to the nation and those who don't may suffer in a number of ways. Besides, it is a closed nation. We don't know what goes on there. I also think his son bumped him off so he could rise quicker to power. His face just looks so cool, and his eyes have a wicked sort of fire to them. We will have to wait and see what he does.

December 20, 2011 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
  91. Name*Ohh_yeah

Wasn't Kim Jung ll the actor in Team America: World Police? He was great.

December 20, 2011 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
  92. YouCare

Obviously you people cared enough to click the link and comment.

December 20, 2011 at 6:58 am | Report abuse |
  93. MiaWho?

An unimportant opinion from an unimportant person. She doesn't even qualify to be on an entertainment section. Kim K is more relevant than Mia now and that ain't sayin' much.

December 20, 2011 at 6:50 am | Report abuse |
  94. crybaby

I cried when Michael Jackson died. I even tried to do the moon walk but failed. Two take away points: 1. People cry for different reasons; 2. No one can do it like The Kim but life goes on an hopefully there is progress!

December 20, 2011 at 6:45 am | Report abuse |
  95. kindly Old person

Kindly old person is absolutly right as always. I've seen those funeral actors on a leaked episode of Mike and Molly where they were both killed tragically bowel cancer.

December 20, 2011 at 6:29 am | Report abuse |
  96. kindly Old person

I've heard that swedish scab labour took short cuts when refurbishing the leaders train. Bloody sweds.

December 20, 2011 at 6:11 am | Report abuse |
  97. kindly Old person

These people work cheap. I'd have a minibus full for my wifes funeral only she died in 1973.

December 20, 2011 at 6:08 am | Report abuse |
  98. kindly Old person

Mia is absolutley right as usual. Young people these days don't watch the news or listen to the wireless.

December 20, 2011 at 6:04 am | Report abuse |
  99. Robert

and Kim Jong Un looks exactly like Porky Pig!

December 20, 2011 at 5:16 am | Report abuse |
  100. the cat

Why don't you let Ms.Farrow express her opinion as you express yours? We are all in America after all!!!

December 20, 2011 at 4:57 am | Report abuse |
  101. Loriann Azbell

One has to wonder how evil his son will be when he takes over. Could things get better?? COULD HE BE MORE EVIL THAN HIS FATHER??

December 20, 2011 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
    • KimJongPill

Yes, yes he can. Thanks for asking. He can actually be 10x more evil than his father, because he has SOMETHING TO PROVE, which his father did not, and HE HAS NUKES, which his father only got in the last decade. So yes, sir, yes indeed.

December 20, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  102. Chris

Superb comment, Steve.

December 20, 2011 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  103. Steve

Unlike most of the posts here, I do believe they are not acting. I have lived in South Korea for 15 years, working at a univeristy, and I can tell you that North Koreans are totally brainwashed into believing everything their governemnt tells them, especially those who live in Pyongyang, which is where most of the elite live. There is a strong personality cult surrounding Kim Jong Il and his father Kim Il Sung. They are venerated by the people, almost worshipped one could say. The people know things are bad, they know people disappear into labor camps, but they often do not blame the leaders, but "subversive elements" or foreigners. One just has to look at Soviet Union during the Great Terror of the 1930s, MIllions of people disappeared, as they were arrested, sent to labor camps, or executed. But Stalin was stilled loved. When he died in 1953, hundreds of peopel were killed in the crush of a mob trying to get in to see his dead body as it lay in state in Moscow. No, I do believe the North Koreans sincerely loved their leader, and the weeping is real. HOwever, the cynic in me can't help but think that even though the weeping is real, the weepers might be the more priveleged classes in the capital, not the starving masses in the countryside, who are most likely secretly glad the Dear Leader is gone.

December 19, 2011 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • PERSON

Thats right Steve, The People are brainwashed and the upper classes goes along with it as millions are locked in work camp prisons. Are you talking about North Korea or America?

How many stupid Americans believe "muslim extremists" did 911 instead of US, British and Israeli intelligence?

December 20, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Kimmy Cakes Il

I have one set of drab, quasi-peasant, semi-military clothes and one pair of woman's glasses. Lady Gaga was my fashion adviser. Could never really get used to the haircut, though... How old am I?

December 19, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  105. The Flamingo Kid

YOU TRIPPING MORONS DO NOT KNOW JACK ABOUT WHAT IS GOING ON IN KOREA! I am sure that there were people wailing in the streets. This was their political leader and many of them looked up to him.

December 19, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  106. bannister

Well, OF COURSE the crying is fake! These people are living in fear under a TOTALITARIAN REGIME. They have been psychologically conditioned – and perhaps ordered – to perform these public acts of mourning. What we are seeing in these videos is people living under slavery.

America has it's problems to be sure – but this is one reminder of how good we really have it.

December 19, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  107. izzys bunny

None of us will know the truth since we live in a country saturated by the media, so easily accessed even if by the tips of our fingers. If they are sincerely traumatized I feel awful they believed his BS & if they are being forced to appear traumatized I feel awful they cant be allowed to rejoice his passing. Either way they're living lives none of us can relate to. Lets consider ourselves lucky.

December 19, 2011 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Johnmc

Who cares?? Who cares about what Mia Farrow thinks?

December 19, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Frank!

I think Rosemary's baby killed him.

December 19, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Benjamin D'Over

Who is that ghost in the picture? Could use a bit of beach time.

December 19, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  111. fezz

herro woo u rike pesi or is coke arright

December 19, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Ruth

It is sad that a smple comment by a strong activist has turned into a bashing of her by some uneducated fools.

December 19, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mr. Allen

Thats the problem nowadays, too many activists, not enough real people.

December 20, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  113. Jim34

The people in North Korea have been isolated from the rest of the world. They believe everything the authorities tell them.

December 19, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  114. K

Considering that people were punished for not mourning enough when his father died in '94, it doesn't surprise me that so many North Koreans are so "emotional" now that Kim Jong Il has died...

December 19, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Dick Jones

Don't hate the actor, hate the stage.

December 19, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Cartman

Go get it, South Park.

December 19, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  117. quinn

If every day of your life you were told he was great by the tv radio and everything else, then you would believe it, regardless.

December 19, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Anomic Office Drone

I've seen video of the North Koreans mourning. Frankly, it looks staged.

December 19, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  119. man behind the curtain

Waah waah, or was it yeah yeah ! I can't remember what was ordered by the party leaders!

December 19, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Jesus C.

The people of North Korea are heart broken. Their GREAT leader who led them to victory and worked so hard for the people of North Korea has died. The people are sad and it's quite natural that they would mourn. Let us keep them in our prayers.

December 19, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • sam

Yeah, best crazy ass dictator EVER!! lol

December 19, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack Nickolous

hmm, so right he was a great leader and that time he shot 38 under Par on that round of golf. An incrediblely gifted man.

December 20, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
    • SamboPete

From which turnip truck did you fall?

December 20, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Diana

He also invented the hamburger, and states that he never poops.

December 20, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Crownman

I'm sensing...or at least hoping that is sarcasm? If not, get help. That man and his regime are pure evil who had brain washed his people into believing he is a great leader and if that didn't work and you spoke out against him...god help you cause no one else would. He's where he belongs...in hell! Read up on anyone who has defected from N. Korea. Those people are starved and kept isolated...it's a hellish existence. Fu!@ Kim Jung II...

December 20, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  121. North Korean

I find it very saddening that all of you have bought into the imperialist propaganda. There is the no famine, no repression. Juche has given us all we need. The reality is that we just want nothing to do with the rest of the world. We're allowed to contact the outside, but we don't since the North truly is a workers paradise. The US just can't accept that we made communism work. Look at how they treat Cuba. If we didn't have China backing us we'd ne in the same boat. All glory to the Dear Leader! May his son reign a hundred years! North Korea is best Korea!

December 19, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • lolwat

Totes more convincing...if they had electricity and computers. If you're North K, you're not there now!

December 19, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • genia

I hope what you say is true. And we are glad as citizens that you are happy in the system of government that you have. We love America, but we are not always proud of the way the government treats it's people.

December 20, 2011 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
    • America

Nice writing! Now go study for the midterm.

December 20, 2011 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Reader

Dear North Korea,

What our readers do not understand is not how big a worker's paradise North Korea is, but the reality that if you do not start showing some emotion about the great leader being dead, your families can end up imprisoned. the more emotional you are acting, the better off you will be. that is why you will see the north koreans with no tears, because they really can not make it up for so long.

For those of you Americans that have no clue about north Korea, you need to read two books: Aquariums of Pyongyang and Nothing to Envy. I would simply not post anything in this blog if you have not at least read the two books.

December 20, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  122. ProperVillain

You'd be sobbing too if you had a platoon full of soldiers aiming their rifles at you off camera....

December 19, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Felicidad

In a country with no freedom, one has to be carefull that the finger of people are not pointing at me for not show enough sorrow for the Dictator passing.
    The eyes of the goverment are on the people.

December 19, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  124. yeah

Plus Mia is a dumb name. I bet she is some old fat troll. Seems like she could have thought up a better name to use on blogs and twitter than Mia.

December 19, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Superhiro

What a stupid assumption for her to make. He wasn't just their leader, he was basically their god for like 4 decades. I think a few people would be weeping if god died.

December 19, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  126. bes

In the past is you don's show that you are upset (chances are the average N. Korean is happy) they have to put up a show or they will be targeted. I know I lived in a Communist country, you get paranoid and trust no one.

December 19, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  127. yuck

In general entertainment news is bad, but the Marquee Blog is by far the worst of it. I'm so glad they're keeping us informed on Mia Farrow's twitter account.

December 19, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  128. AmyDD

They aren't uspet – they are overjoyed to the point of tears of happiness.

December 19, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  129. rly

'69' is a nice position, I mean age.

December 19, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  130. Boof

What? Kim Kardasian wasn't available for comment so they dug dug this old prune up to utter these words of wisdom? Hell lady, you didn't even know your husband was banging your adopted teen so how the hell do you know what these people are feeling!

December 19, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Erik

She and Woody were never married or lived together....it would have been easy to conceal the affair.

December 19, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Fabio

Yeah, I don't buy it either. I also don't buy the fact that it's not butter! Still in disbelief.

December 19, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  132. Mx

How sad that CNN is quoting a has-been actress on political beliefs. What, Lindsey or Paris, weren't available to comment?

December 19, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • comeon

How about you do a little research on Mia Farrow and her activism and humanitarianism before you say something. She has done more in her lifetime for others than you probably could with 3 lifetimes.

December 19, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Erik

@comeon...couldn't agree more...its sad when people who have likely never lifted a finger to help people in need bash a celebrity who donates time and money and is willing to put themselves in harms way to stand up for what they believe.

Mx...what have you done?

She may not be an A list celebrity, but she is known and respected for the work she does

December 19, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

If my parents were an actress and a director and I had an easy way into a well paying career Id be a humanitarian activist too

December 19, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jesus C

... and Kim KarTrashian was unavailable for comment. She and Kourtney were taking New York!!!

December 19, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • nelg

If Ms. Farrow was that knowledgeable of foreign affairs she wouldn't have made that comment. I'm puzzled why so many come to her defense. She didn't display much wisdom worthy of comment.

December 19, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • NooYawkah

How true. In fact she even found a wife for Woody Allen.

December 20, 2011 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
    • carolae

Was thinking the same thing "has been actress". Why is it that we do not hear from these down and out celebrities unless it is for a cause? I personally thought she had died. Who cares what her thoughts are......guess she has to find something to fill up her time since no one is pounding at her door for a role either in a movie or on TV.

December 21, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  133. Callia

They have to sob (or at least pretend to) because they might just be shot for not weeping over the death of this evil little man .

December 19, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  134. *Captain Obvious*

Of course it's BS! We don't need Mia Farrow to tell us that!

December 19, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vera Waitress

We do need Mia Farrow to tell us that because you're a nobody, and nobody listens to you.

December 20, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
    • ME

Only nobodies have to obtain their opinion from members of the Entertainment Industry, Vera.

December 20, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Gigi

Ok, so Vera needs Mia to tell her how to think. There's one.

December 20, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Snoot

I listen to Mia. She is awesome. I mean, c'mon, like she was smoking Sinatra's sausage when she was like 1/3 his age. Dooby, dooby.....*splort!*

December 20, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  135. xdougx

Who cares what she thinks.

December 19, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Erik

Unlike many "politically active" celebrities Mia Farrow actually does know what she is talking about when she comments on an issue and she has demonstrated a willingness to walk the walk and not just talk.

I have greater respect for what she has to say about suffering then any other famous person or politician.

December 19, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • nelg

IIndeed. Who cares what she thinks?

December 19, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • JPX

I care what she thinks and I agree with her. Mia Farrow is has been politically active for decades and knows what she is talking about. Rather than make snarky comments about things you know nothing about perhaps you should crack a newspaper once in a while.

December 20, 2011 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Maureen

I care what she thinks and I care what you think. Bottom line: I care. Do you?

December 20, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
    • What me Worry !

I always take seriously any comment from a woman that married a 50 year old Frank Sinatra at the age of 21. Oh and to have slept with Woody Allen too and let him bugger my little ! Can you say Gold Digger ?

December 20, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
    • really

really, erik? she is just an actress who happened to adopt one or two korean children. sure, she probably knows a bit more about their culture than we do. but does that make her an expert? or does it make her comment salient, wise, or profound? nope. it's just the opinion of a FORMER actress and activist.

December 20, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
    • MRose

According to Jezebel Mia Farrow....etc., etc. What the heck is "Jezebel" and what idiot reporter decided he/she should ask Mia Farrow what she thinks of this? And then CNN makes a headline of it. LOL.

December 20, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
    • MRose

I must say, Mia Farrow's profound comment about this really has shed light on why these people are sobbing hysterically. I would not have known how to interpret it if not for her profound wisdom on North Korean mourners and their acting skills. I think perhaps we should also ask Nancy Grace what she thinks too.

December 20, 2011 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Choad

Mia should never have left Frank. Never. It's been all down hill since.

December 20, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  136. Kim Jong Il

I'm so ronery here in herr gais.

December 19, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Ruth from Ohio

I do not believe it either......people are starving in this country ....the leaders and the people that they stage are great ,but go behind this and it is death!

December 19, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • rashid

Mia Farrow – grief consultant?? What next, econometric modeling for growth, sustainable development, cardiac thorasic surgery? Hollywood savants are the chosen ones. They know everything.

December 20, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
    • ComSenseWiz

98% of the North Koreans are mourning Kim's death like 98% of the world mourned Bin Laden's death. NK is replacing one stooge with an even worse stooge chunk off the rotten block. Do NOT give NK anything, food or otherwise. Just keep them in their box until the inevitable implosion. If they need food, call their buddies in China. If they launch a nuke, incinerate the place in 10 minutes.

December 20, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
    • John

I don't think we can generalize the whole population like that... true, there is an incredible amount of pressure on these citizens to project an appearance of sorrow, but some of them are actually genuine. As a matter of fact, many of the North Koreans are so indoctrinated that they don't know a world without KJI exists, it'd be like God dying. I agree that you can say some of them might be acting, but we're talking about a nation of millions.

December 20, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Tonga

This girl is a phycopath and can know anyting from thousand of miles apart. We have more poverty and hunger in US than NK. They are just 20 milolion there and we are 300M and 10% are job less.

December 20, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
    • So Serious?

Tonga = Clueless Moron. Suggest you move to NK to see what REAL poverty & hunger are all about. Please, do it now. Enjoy your new found police state. Thank God we'll never hear from you again, since they're not allowed Internet freedom either.

December 20, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Gregg

Mia Farrow has dedicated a large chunk of her life bringing famine and starvation to the attention of the Kim Kardashian and Paris Hilton loving media. It isn't easy to sway the medias attention away from such superficial exploitations of the super rich but Mia has given it her best shot for over 30 years. Her home is filled with adopted children from all over the world. She walks the walk and talks the talk like few others who have had the good fortune to become highly famous. Any disparaging remarks about her today are from a place of ignorance regarding her life and dedicated work around the globe. Thank you Mia for your continued efforts to draw support from the world body regarding hunger and poverty. Thank you for drawing attention to the government forced crying and wailing in North Korea. You won't find the crying in the rural parts of the country. The citizens in the city are being watched at all times by thought police and cameras. If they don't cry, the slave camps await them.

December 20, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Gigi

Gregg--
      Maybe she should have spent a large chunk of her life taking acting lessons or watching her adopted daughter & stepfather.

December 20, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • ajk68

@Tonga: 5-10% of NK's population died of starvation in the 90's.

December 20, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • angela.white128

I am a 35 years old CEO, ri;ch and strong but still sin;gle ... now Christmas is coming!!! You wanna find your lover to have this wonderful time together? I am see;king a good woman who can give me a real love, so I joined BillionaireFriends.COMit's the first and best club for wealthy people and their adm;irers. Well, you do not have to be rich ,but you can meet one there.

December 20, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Gigi, maybe you should marry Tonga. But please don't reproduce there are enough morons in the world.

December 20, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marcus Moore

Their grief is not real. They are all brainwashed. If you will notice they are all in the room and standing as they grieve. There were very FEW tears and Mia Farrow is correct–they're not very good actors. You don't have to be a grief counselor to know when somebody is faking it. In North Korea, you do what you're told or you 'disappear' for 15 years and your family 'disappears' too! Sadly, the son will be just as bad, if not worse, than Kim Jong Il.

December 21, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |