'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition' to end in January
December 16th, 2011

'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition' to end in January

More changes are on the way for ABC. The network has announced that "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition's" ninth season finale will also be the end of the series.

On January 13, the show will attempt its biggest build ever, according to ABC, by constructing seven homes in seven days in Joplin, Missouri. The area was devastated by a tornado in May of this year.

The week preceding, on January 6, "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" will touch down in Iowa to build a new home for the Gibbs family.

But after the January 13 finale, "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" will live on only in the form of specials.

Perhaps ABC is clearing out the old to make way for the new: The network is also parting ways with "Desperate Housewives" and "One Life to Live" in 2012. Are you surprised to see "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" come to an end as a series?

Filed under: television

1. games store

Magnificent goods from you, man. I've understand your stuff previous to and you are just too fantastic. I really like what you've acquired here, certainly like what you're stating and the way during which you say it. You are making it entertaining and you continue to care for to keep it smart. I can't wait to learn far more from you. This is actually a great web site.

September 13, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. alexandermac89

Wow, I didn't realize the show is done until now. I just began working for an online custom wallpaper & canvas printing company – LifeWall, http://www.yourlifewall.com – a while back, and until then I had no idea what this sort of design culture was like. . . or how addictive it is. I hope something else like this is on the air soon; I'll definitely be there to enjoy.

August 30, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  3. elaine norrie

cant beleive one of the best programmes is being axed, try axing cheaters who wants to watch couples cheating on each other its not entertainment

May 4, 2012 at 4:18 am | Report abuse |
  4. Belinda

I was in hopes the "end" was temporary. The group did so much for not only the families, but look how it brought so many communities together, working (albeit under pressure of time) together to do something RIGHT and dare I say it, 'constructive' for someone. We are all so fast paced, and yet, a bit too selfish, and overlook so many in REAL NEED. I wish they were still doing the show, I know a family that's a perfect example of 'need', and very deserving, and would never ask for anything. I'm sorry they can't be helped, they deserve it.!!! Maybe the show could find another big sponsor since obviously they did alot through Sears, and that Co. is not doing well. If that be the case, I hope someone else can step forward and commit to this well deserving group, and the show can continue.

January 22, 2012 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  5. Liz

I just found out today that one of my favorite shows. Extreme Makover is cancelled. I just love that show. I hope ABC will change there minds & bring it back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

January 18, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Linn

I can't beleive it is ending, one of our favorite instead of crap reality shows

January 14, 2012 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  7. joser

this show was the one good show on television. It was a show about people helping people. compasion and frieindship,love these are the things that get people through life. god put us on this earth to help each other. People who look for the bad in other people will surley find it. If you want to find bad in this show then I'm sure you can. Most people who speak badly of others is because they don't have the courage to look at there own faults and so by speaking badly of others it makes them fell better about themselves. the bottom line is it doesn't matter wheather you think god is the reason that people do stuff like this, or that these people do it to make themselves feel better, or wheather they just want to help people, this is a good thing, and if we all spent more time thinking about how we could help others instead of critiscing people who do, then this world would become a better place and you're own life would change in such away that the person who used to shot people down would be gone, and the person who took the old ones place would be a person who others would love and respect.

January 14, 2012 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
  8. Carol Halenar

I am sorry to see this program end. I think the abc network is making a big mistake. The show is still extremely popular and much better and uplifting to watch than the CSI series which give people weird ideas or the extreme"ly" stupid reality shows.

January 13, 2012 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  9. home depot

they built and designed some of the ugliest, most useless, most unsustainable rooms for kids on this show. I felt sorry for the kids who were stuck with their circus rooms when they grow up.

January 13, 2012 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jc

I will miss this show! I just watched the season finally this is a real down to earth, up lifting, and motivational show that makes me cry and laugh with everyone on the show.

January 13, 2012 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Connie

I just watched the finale as well. I guess the TV and the media just don't want to have any "feel good" stories any more. Or maybe the series upstaged Obummer's lame attempt to "rebuild America." so they cancelled it. After all, you don't want to compete with the High and Almighty POS, ooops POtuS, you know!

January 13, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Fran

Is the reason this great show if going off due to Sears Backing the Kartrashidins & their commercials?Their are 2 shows that really help people.Extreme Makeover & Americas most wanted.Both have been cancelled.The puplic prefers reality crap..

January 8, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • KLynn

Look for America's Most Wanted on the Lifetime channel... it's all new shows!

January 9, 2012 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Linda

I really hate to see an uplifting show being taken off the air. I saw for myself, what a great job they did for a family in Ct. The father and son drowned while trying to save the sister and daughter and than the family had to live in a house that had had a fire in it. They had no where to go. The children were involved in there community to help others but could not help themselves. The show has helped me get involved and helping other people in need. Thank god we do have a roof over our heads, where we have one of the highest unemployment in the country. Some of you need to get off your butts and maybe help others. Bring back the show.

January 6, 2012 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Don

We love watching Extreme makeover. There are so few shows on televison that uplift you. Most show the cruelty of man but Extreme Makeover showed that people can be good love one another and help each other. People who had no where to turn were given a wonderful gift. My only complaint was that they could help more people if they did not go so over the top for a few people. I wish they would change their mind and bring it back.

December 24, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Louise

I for one will surely miss this show it has helped so many deserving families. I was so surprised to see that the show was ending but i guess that i should not have been . But because this show was so helpful to so many deserving families it caught me off guard. Just to turn on my tv and see so many real people being so compasionate, thoughtful, so loving , so caring about some one that you don't know to take time out of your lives to help someone else to have a better quality of life and to make sure that the children is living in a safe new home. that you cared enough to come from all walks of life to do good for some one else so un selfish of you all when reading the post it just took me back to when i was a child and remembering what my mom taught me she said if you can't say something nice then we should not say anyting. and there was another saying i heard as a child people are like crabs in a barrel if they think that you might get out they will pull you back down. i think that abc will be boring with all the reality shows that are not realty who are concerned with no one but them selves and their problems and who will that be helping there will be no help for the many many more deserving families out there. i actually cryed to so how much this show did help so many people who would not been helped if it was not for extreme make over home edition. May god continue to bless ty pennington and his design team , contractors, the builders, sears, the lumber companies, the many volunteers who gave of them selves and their time to help someone else and a lot of talk is out there but if they had built those people a home it would be ok . There was a comment about the leader being drunk but if he was he did a hell of a job because they built some beautiful homes and made this world a better place and if we all went out and actually helped some one in need we would not have time to criticize what good someone is doing . MAY GOD CONTINUE TO BLESS YOU ALL WHO HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH EXTREME MAKE OVER HOME EDITION.

December 23, 2011 at 4:42 am | Report abuse |
  15. Terri

I have always like Extreme Makeover Home Edition and will miss watching every week. My only complaint about the show is the money spent on one house could have been used to build two houses (not as big obviously) but still very nice for two families as opposed to one.

December 18, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  16. ABC is DOA

Good, considering that they build houses that the people who own them can afford to live in. Lets say goodbye to all the "reality" shows out there and bring back some real entertainment. I'd start with Bravo and E!

December 17, 2011 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  17. Mike

ABC is going to be one hell of a boring station now that they're taking away all their good shows and replacing it with crap copycats of talk shows.

December 17, 2011 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
  18. Elizabeth

I am truly sad that extreme make over home edition is coming to an end!!! Why??? The news, the economy, and so much more can make a person depressed, but when you see someones home that was unlivable turn livable makes you forget about all the negativity out there and especiallly paying off morgages!!! Bring it back please!!!

December 17, 2011 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
  19. Tex

They need to do one where they build the blacks a new apartment project.

December 16, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Anita

I watched this show for a long time, and enjoyed it for the most part...but it got to the point that the novelty of it wore off. What they did for families was nice (don't get me wrong), but as far as a TV show goes...the novely has worn off.

December 16, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jables19

Yeah, Anita's right. We should only take care of people as long as it can be edited and entertaining.

December 16, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Tex

No Indians. They animals.Only soldiers deserve free mansions.

December 16, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Bob

No...have that drunk take his lame show to places I mentioned. They have the money and power...not me. It is up to people like me to do what I am doing. The more people there are like me. The more the chance ABC might notice us and listen. Unfortunately, most of you are sheep who just buy into the show.

December 16, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  23. chimchim

Native American Indians are just creeps with silly names. Why do they put those stupid dots on their foreheads? Plus they live in teepees. They are dumb.

December 16, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Sarah

I agree, but I don't think Belinda has to open her eyes. Some people just believe in what they see and all people are in right of their opinion, and if I was her I would have slapped you for trying to take that right away. If you're worried about the kids in Africa, get off the computer and do something. You can't just talk the talk, gotta take those words and make them into actions. Some of these families are paying for their houses, not all of the houses are 100% free.

December 16, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Bob

What about the reservations full of Native Americans in this country. You know....the 99.9‰ of them that don't have a casino. The ones starving in tar paper shacks in the middle of the desert. Where is there free house? Screw that
    show.

December 16, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Bob

Open your eyes Belinda.

December 16, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  27. aSHlEy

@Bob – Then you haven't seen the show enough. I will admit there are some who I think trashed their houses just to get a new one, and then probably trashed those too. But there are some who bend over backwards helping every one in the community and are more than deserving. And the ones with our Military Heroes who make sacrifices every day... there's no question that they aren't deserving.

I know that they just filmed one in the area here last week... so what's going to happen to that show? We'll never get to see it?!

December 16, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jables19@hotmail.com

Being in the military doesn't qualify you for a house. Just because you SIGNED UP for a job that you knew could get you killed and then went overseas to kill other people that were in their own country doesn't earn you a new house over any of the other people in this country that need a home.
      Knock it off with the hero worship.

December 16, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Bob

The host is a known drunk. He is a phony, loathsome individual. There are kids starving in Africa, and many in our own country, that deserve a home more than anyone who has ever been on that show.

December 16, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • phil

You can help people in africa but I for one could care less about them they take space away from the animals, help america first

January 6, 2012 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Belinda

All the families on that show deserve a new home. I am greatly sadden to see this show go away. Although, you might not think this show is good or the people deserve it, the stories are great and touch your heart.

December 16, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Bob

Actually, I've yet to see one deserving person on that show.

December 16, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kat

Try turning the TV on!

December 16, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

Bob – Sounds like you're trying to be sarcastic or perhaps you only caught 1 or 2 shows? There were a significant number of episodes about families who did a ton for others despite their rundown living conditions. It was extremely impressive and uplifting, no matter how facetious a person you might be, it was extremely cool to see people doing great things get that kind of support. And a useful way for advertisers to market their stuff! I now go to CVS for all of my drugs!

ABC – hope this is just a publicity ploy. I'm pretty tired of the other "crap reality" shows. Modern Family and Extreme Home Makeover are the ONLY shows my family watches together. Come on! Come up with a new crew–we need positive shows that help real people. Maybe instead of replacing everything, you could just come in and make structural improvements and design the interiors. Most common folks like us don't use designers and it's so fun to see the big changes, and it does make a difference when your space is well-planned and designed (not that I know the feeling....!). Thanks for a great 9 years and hope you decide to continue. I will not be watching Shark Tank btw.

January 22, 2012 at 2:45 am | Report abuse |
  31. qwertysd01

Of course ABC is cancelling Extreme Makeover. It's a show people actually want to watch...

December 16, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kat

Amen! I get inspired each week to help others and it has been a great service in inspiring others to help – it must be the helping others that ABC objects to!

December 16, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Connie

crap!!!! not much left on TV that's worth watching. Thanks for nothing, ABC. It was one of the FEW shows we ever watched.

January 13, 2012 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  32. chimchim

People walking up on top of the bridge are always dropping money. Lots of it. I use that to go get McNuggets and pepsi.

December 16, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  33. chimchim

I love it up unnerneath my bridge. It is nice and cozy. Ivy hangs down from it giving me privacy, plus there is a small creek here with fresh clean water.

December 16, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  34. @audrey

That is y all the trolls live under bridges and trailer parks.

December 16, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  35. audrey

not surprised thought it had run its course especially when alot of the families actually lost their homes to not being able to up keep them when your home is fancy and bigger so are your taxes

December 16, 2011 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  36. marie

I love this show and there are so many deserving families out there. This show is very uplifting so much better than crap like the bachelor and bachelorette or dancing with the stars. Who cares if Rob Kardashian can rumba.?

December 16, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |