Etta James terminally ill
December 16th, 2011

Etta James terminally ill

Etta James has been battling health issues, but the "At Last" singer's manager and friend Lupe De Leon tells CNN that she's now terminally ill.

“Etta James is at the last stages of her terminal illness," De Leon says.

The singer, 73, was diagnosed with leukemia along with hepatitis C over a year ago, and with Alzheimer's disease in 2009. The singer is currently residing at her home in Riverside, California, under the care of her doctor and husband.

According to De Leon, who was at James' home on December 10, she's on oxygen and resting, mostly. Her sons do live close by and visit often, De Leon says.

James was previously hospitalized in January of 2010 as she battled a serious infection, and was hospitalized in May of this year due to a urinary tract infection that led to sepsis.

1. Garricke Piccuillob

Thank you for the sensible critique. Me and my neighbor were just preparing to do a little research on this. We got a grab a book from our local library but I think I learned more from this post. I'm very glad to see such excellent info being shared freely out there.

July 6, 2012 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
  2. chirurgie laser yeux

Heya i am for the primary time here. I came across this board and I to find It really useful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give something back and help others like you aided me.

May 9, 2012 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  3. this blog

I cherished up to you'll obtain performed right here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored subject matter stylish. however, you command get got an nervousness over that you wish be delivering the following. sick definitely come more before once more since precisely the same nearly a lot incessantly inside case you defend this increase.

April 2, 2012 at 4:53 am | Report abuse |
  4. lestine jones

mrs etta James may God bless and keep your heart and mind in perfect peace through Jesus Christ amen
    iam praying for you i belive in the power of prayer where two or three are gathered Jesus said he would be in the mist of it he touch you amen

January 6, 2012 at 2:59 am | Report abuse |
  5. George Washington

Cheers to you and yours for all the great music.

December 23, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Miss S

She is brought such great music with alot of soul. If only we still had singers like that now a days instead of hearing about how they want to drop or shake their booty. Take some advice Rihanna/Beyonne it's classy not be so trashy!!

December 22, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  7. Ms Taylor P Collins

You have been an inspiration to me as an artist and will continue to be the rest of my life...thank you for sharing your enormous talent with us..something we will cherish always...you are excellence...

December 19, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. rudolph williams

You have made some wonderful songs keep on singing my dear.

December 19, 2011 at 7:29 am | Report abuse |
  9. Derek

One of the best singers period.The legend you leave behind will live forever! Prayers to the entire family.

December 19, 2011 at 4:16 am | Report abuse |
  10. jr

OH DEAR I DONT EVEN KNOW WHO YOU ARE BUT THE I ASK THAT YOU CAN BE TOUCHED RIGHT NOW BY JESUS THE HOLY SPIRIT AND THAT YOU CAN BE COMPLETELY CURED SO THE NAME OF JESUS CAN BE GLORIFIED HALELUIAS MY SON WAS CURED FROM GLAUCOMA AND HE CAN SEE AGAIN WE SERVE THE GOD OF IMPOSSIBLE TOUCH HER NOW GOD PUT UR HANDAS AROUND HER FAMILY..AND WE THANK YOU FOR THIS MIRACLE AMEM

December 19, 2011 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  11. SOMETIMES I GET A GOOD FEELING

YEAH!!!

December 18, 2011 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Rudy54

Now, at last, Gabriel will have a voice to go with his trumphet...

December 18, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Rudy54

Now, at last, Gabriel will have a voice to go with his horn...

December 18, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  14. renee culpepper

MRS JAMES IM SORRY THAT YOU ARE AILING NOW BUT I WOULD JUST LIKE TO SAY YOU ARE IN A CLASS ALL BY YOURSELF AT LAST YOUR SONG HAS COME ALONG GET WELL SOON MRS ETTA. MUCH LOVE TO YOU

December 18, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  15. LadiBugg777

Miracles can happen, Ms. James!!!

December 18, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  16. LadiBugg777

Why r you all talking as if God can't miricles happen? She is not dead yet, ppl! Mrs. Etta, U r in my prayers.

December 18, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  17. diane beckham

To one of my favorite song tresses,I love you and wish that all the angels that are over you realize how presious and dear that you are to us may God bless you with our prayers.

December 18, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  18. leslie jones in lcla.

I am lifting u and ur family up in prayer i wish u well god bless each and every one of u.

December 18, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Cathy Jaggard

Been a fan of Etta James for many many years. I had the opportunity to see her at the Silverado in Reno when she was 70. Great entertainer – loved seeing her in person and share my moments freely. Our prayers are with Etta and her family to be able to maintain strength during this time.

December 18, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  20. GO GO GO

shes not dead people so much negative energy people align your chakras and say positive affirmations "i can't wait to see your next show"

December 18, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  21. Leslie Jones

May God bless you and your family i wish you well.

December 18, 2011 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
  22. *goatroper

Mrs . James . You have the most beautiful voice of any lady I have ever listen to . I love your music and you . I will never forget you .ever.

December 17, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  23. gwats

Etta, the World will be a little colder without you here.

December 17, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  24. LindaN

Hooray to those who rembered "Take It To the Limit" and "Sugar on the Floor," two great songs from that wonderful album she made with ex-Atlantic Records producer Jerry Wexler (RIP), She'd always wanted to work with him, and he gave her some very interesting songs. "At Last" might be her popular classic, but i saw Etta during her blues-rocker days, and that's the Etta I love. Come to think of it, "Piece of My Heart" on that album was fantastic. Etta's maybe the only singer other than Janis who should be allowed to sing that anthem. And BTW, one of the writers of "Piece" died a month ago, Jerry Ragovoy, another great contributor to some classic blues-rock.

December 17, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Debra Banks Mills

I seriously pray Ms James makes it she bought a unique style to music long live Etta James

December 17, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  26. HeIsGod

Never heard of her, but I wish her the best.

December 17, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  27. ed Bailey

The cold calloused remark that was made is literally a sick mind at work. I am not happy with either party but to use affiliation to anything at a time like this will put you in Hades. Don't have children and if that's too late find them a good home.

December 17, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  28. SLinn

Why is everyone acting like she's died? I have Leukemia and have been on my death bed 4 times and I'm still here. Etta – mind over matter. Stop saying "you will be missed" and say "can't wait for your next concert."

December 17, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Chris

Lord have mercy. This is one truly wonderful performer. Her song "At last" is riviting. All the best to you Etta. When the illness passes, may you travel well.

December 17, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Anita

Blessings to Ms. Etta, her family and all her fans. My favorite song by her is I'd Rather Go Blind. Her singing it with Dr. John is just something every fan should see. Pray for the trolls on here. Realize that they lead such boring and sad lives, that they get pleasure from being told off.

December 17, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Sue

"At Last" has always been a favorite. God bless you, Etta.

December 17, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  32. lol

I have loved "at last" from the moment i heard it. It will be my wedding song. The most real, true love song of all time

December 17, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  33. vanya joyner

I pray you feel better, and to know that God be with you.

December 17, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Serge Crespy

"HOPE FOR LEUKEMIA AND CANCER PATIENTS" / Best Wishes, Etta!

I publicly submit (propose) my unique procedure. For optimal results, such is to be conducted prior to a lleukemia patient having been medicated or introduced to chemotherapy / radiation-therapy.

PROCEDURE: (To stabilize DNA) A narrow, gold filament approximately 10 inches in length is inserted within the femurs' marrow and connected externally to sizeable, "well-grounded" leads. This procedure is to continue (without interruption), for an extended period (at least 30 days). The patient's blood is to be analyzed on a daily basis, for positive results...... GOD Bless!

Serge Crespy
    Collingwood, Ontario

December 17, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Mike

I will always love Etta James. She has made a difference in my life :)

Thank you Etta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 17, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  36. sadie456

God bless you, Etta, for being yourself and for giving us the pleasure of your voice.

December 17, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Donald in CA

At Last will always be in my top ten of favorite song. Etta, you were the best.

December 17, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  38. mizh

Bless you, Miss James. Thank you for your contribution in music, and your magnificent voice will be remembered always.

And, to all the idiots posting their usual ignorance: you'll never amount to anything. So keep up the good work, losers.

December 17, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  39. shy

thank for telling our story etta, I love ur heart, and willingness to show it to the world

December 17, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Donkey Party

Freedom of Speech is one thing, to come on here and spout your bile when someone is fighting for their life is something entirely different. You commentors that spew such hate are just like the Westboro Baptist Church minions. CNN, where are your moderators? Cancel the accounts of individuals like these. These sub-humans don't deserve to dwell in society, and I wish the worst upon them.

December 17, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  41. marvin f

i am praying for you wanting you to overcome this illness! im sure the world wants hear that voice of yours again!!

December 17, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  42. ryan

Isn't being 73 years old essentially Terminal anyway?

December 17, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  43. jason83

my condolonces to her and her entire family. at least she will be in a better place. Thank You for everything that you have done over the years!

December 17, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  44. dokte

Wow. U r all so ridiculous. Its people like u who make such a big deal about something so minscule as a comment someone makes tha makes them make those comments that u hate! Ms. Etta james fare well and RIP when the time comes. Thank u fo ur time in this world. Which is wat this is really about. not dudes comment. Who cares?!

December 17, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Jane

I thought Etta James was black.

December 17, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryan

she has a black mother and a white father, which is why she is somewhat attractive

December 17, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gonzo

The human race goes from albino white,
      to a dark black chocolate, and every shade in between.
      Should it matter ?
      nope.

December 17, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  46. 6degrees

i wasn't aware she was related to Rick James..or for that matter to these other people...Craig James, Lebron James, Jesse James (imagine...she and Sandra Bullock were related for a short time!!)

December 17, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  47. deanna stubbs

Awww may u not suffer too long. Many blessings to u n urs! God loves u n is holding u in his arms!b

December 17, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  48. Etta Fan

This is so sad. I wished she could have sang her own song at President Obama's Inauguration. When I saw Beyonce singing it, I said out loud why didn't he let Etta sing her own song? Etta you are, and always will be. one of the Best Blues & Jazz singers of all time. That voice of yours is so beautiful and original. We love you!!!

December 17, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • GetAGrip

You don't really think the president decides who is going to be doing what at his own ceremonies...do you? Oh yes, and he plans the menus each week for the white house dining room, decides what the flower arrangements will be throughout the white house, and by the way – if he's in town during the week – he typically mows the white house lawn and sweeps the street in front of the white house!!

December 17, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  49. ted

One of my all time fave songs is Sunday Kind Of Love....What a great singer she is!

December 17, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  50. oliver

one of the great pioneers will soon be gone, god bless you etta!

December 17, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  51. Jozett

I pray for her a peaceful and painless passing. She was an amazing talent and her music will surely live on into eternity. God be with her family and friends during this time of great sorrow. Thank you Ms. Etta for all you did here. God rest you dear lady.

December 17, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  52. BradC

On behalf of my wife and I and every couple who have danced to your "legendary, iconic" song....... thank you Etta!! Now kick go blow everyone away at the great big gig in the sky with that special voice!!! You will never be forgotten.

December 17, 2011 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  53. Nancy M. B.

Is she black? Or white? In that picture, she looks like Hillary Clinton.

December 17, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  54. Ike Monday Detroit

May the true and living bless you and keep you in his unchanging right hand I love your songs and music.I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Peace and love always my queen.I'll never forget you.

December 17, 2011 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  55. skywest

this will be a great loss.

December 17, 2011 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  56. lily

Etta, you will always be a timeless treasure...
    Your "At Last" was chosen by my daughter as the first dance with her new husband at their wedding...the same song that I danced with my late husband at our own wedding!

"and life is like a song..."

December 17, 2011 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  57. Julie May

I have never been a fan of female singers. However, Etta James is an exception. I purchased her records! Her voice has so much feeling! VERY EXCEPTIONAL! She has touched me deep within with her voice. Oh, if only I could sing like her, what joy! Thank goodness she was sent to us!

December 17, 2011 at 5:41 am | Report abuse |
  58. Ed Walsh

Ms. James...may God hold you in the palm of his hand... every time my wife and I hear "At Last" we realize how lucky we are to be married to each other, with all due respect: your version is the only version.

December 17, 2011 at 4:57 am | Report abuse |
  59. Miriam

Dear Etta, thank you for just being you and sharing your voice with all of us. God be with you.

December 17, 2011 at 4:13 am | Report abuse |
  60. gerald flores

Go play At Last on your jukeboxes. This classic is the most popular song at Julius Bar in Greenwich Village, NYC (Jerry)

December 17, 2011 at 3:39 am | Report abuse |
  61. Tony Camaro

I LOVE Etta!!!! I have seen her live a few times throughout the years and she was ALWAYS AWESOME!!!. But as much as I love her rendition of " At least", she's was NOT the first person to sing it, and the first recording is big band great!!!(if you're into the old and original 40's recordings of a lot of songs!).
    Anyway, she was looking very good lately and this is just sad!
    Go buy one of her first live concerts to know why she was so good...and have a glass of wine to celebrate her life!
    Think about how great JANIS was at singing "Tell mama" while you're at it, too!

December 17, 2011 at 2:58 am | Report abuse |
  62. Mtnmedic

Etta, thank you so much for your works of art. You are truly a national treasure and an unforgettable, classy lady. Rest easy. I hope you will continue to sing on the other side.

December 17, 2011 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
  63. ma & pa

Etta, your music sooths our soul, and your name bears that mellowness even into the crossword puzzle.

December 17, 2011 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
  64. Jeff

Etta

Many have tried to remake their versions of "At Last" but I hate to say they
    failed on the song that you put your into.

God Bless You and your family in this hard time. Peace be with all of you in this
    tragic heart breaking time.

December 17, 2011 at 2:09 am | Report abuse |
  65. leslie

Such beautiful music, and incredible performances. So full of grace, peace be with you. It's been a much brighter world with you in it, thank you.

December 17, 2011 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
  66. Beth

I had the great pleasure of seeing Etta many times, once in New Orleans. I have loved her music and voice for a very long time. Her rendition of "At Last" is my absolute favorite and is the song that plays when my husband calls me. If you don't have Seven Year Itch in your collection, go out and get it – hands down her best album. We will miss you Etta, but you live on through your great treasury of songs!

December 17, 2011 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
  67. Lightsrange

I used to work for Etta and for Lupe. I'm saddened to hear that she will no longer be with us shortly. She is a remarkable woman and brought amazing talent to music. Thank you, Etta. Rest in peace, I shall never forget watching you be you.

December 17, 2011 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
  68. billie

Back n the day every girl i knew wanted to look like etta james n the 50's_70's i found my future husband listening to etta we stayed togather 37 years until he pass away there is no singer that can ever replace your voice love u etta james "misty blue" was my favorite n "stop the wedding," praying 4 u

December 17, 2011 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  69. Ruby M. Fletcher

Its so sad that people can be so cruel when someone is dying. What is this world coming to? I love her music/songs, I listen to them on the web quiet a bit. She has a great voice. I am keeping her in my prayers. It would be nice if people are going to be negative that they don't comment. Being positive take little effort, being negative takes a great deal of effort. Please leave politics out of this. Everything is not about politics. God Bless!!!!

December 17, 2011 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  70. Oyster

Thank you Etta, as long as we love beauty you will live forever.

December 17, 2011 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
  71. james

I say youre leaving too early.

December 17, 2011 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
  72. Angail Bryant

To Mrs.James and family keep the Faith!My prayers are with you!God is still on the throne.satan's kids are known by what rotten words that roll off their tongues.THank GOD for your great voice and songs you sang.God will take care of you and your family.only GOD' children will be here at Last!On that great getting up morning.AT LAST!

December 17, 2011 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
  73. Dee

She ain't dead yet y'all!!!!

December 17, 2011 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
  74. thanks

Thank you Etta, yours is one of the most beautiful voices to grace the airwaves. "At Last" will always be your signature song. Any other version will be second. May God's love embrace you and your family in this difficult time.

December 17, 2011 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  75. foo man

I WISH I COULD HAVE MET YOU.

December 17, 2011 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  76. Javajoe

"At Last"-what a song! It made me live in the heart of the person that benefited from this imagined scenario.
    Etta James! What an artist!

December 17, 2011 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  77. Bruce F.

Thank you and god bless you for the years of perserverence, strength and beautiful, hot & sassy songs that you gave us.Loved you in Phoenix in 2009 ish with your sons . A concert that I still talk about and will always remember. Happy journeys into the next life, may you be a blessing once again to the next generation! More Sugar on the Floor! :)

December 17, 2011 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  78. Doc

Etta was one of the most amazing voices in one of the most amazing eras in American music. And that's saying something. I hope she is comfortable and at peace. Everyone will go through the process Etta is experiencing right now, but very few will leave a legacy and a body of work anywhere close to that of hers. She is one of the greats, and she and her family should be very proud of her contributions. God speed, Etta.

December 16, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Euprax

This is very sad news for me. I just discovered her music last year a was wowed by her fantastic singing skills. May her last days be gentle and full of love.

December 16, 2011 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  80. AngelBandComeAndAroundMeStandCarryMeAWayonYourSnowWhiteWingsToMyImortalHome

everyone is terminal, its just we know one of the possibilities of how Etta will exit this world, sooner.
    This planet will miss this voice,
    Just keep singing into the next one, I'll be listening for you like I always do. til next time mon ami.

December 16, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Audrey DuPuy

I know you will not see this comment, but I needed to put this message out in the Universe: Etta James, your voice touched millions & this world will not be the same when U put on immortality!

December 16, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  82. sandy

I loved every song ms etta james ever song but at last the most. Sons love and be with your mother, she's not gone yet she may be around a long time to come only god knows that. Love you ms James.

December 16, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Emilio Dumphuque

Thanks for the best version of Newman's "God's Song (That's why I love mankind)" Killer stuff!

December 16, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Locode

A truly great singer and performer. I hope her last days are pain free and that she is surrounded by friends and family.

December 16, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Maria

Miss Etta......you are a treasure in my ...... and so many hearts <3

December 16, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Quami

Etta you are superb!

December 16, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  87. x/x

Lol

December 16, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  88. dizzyblonde

Truly one of the great voices of days gone by.... Love you Etta!

December 16, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  89. bondevitch

May..god.bless...all...the...idiots...of...this...world..

December 16, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Jehsea

Dearest Etta, when all the world still counted out women, and blacks, and particularly black women, you stood up in the shadow of the dying Billie Holiday and staked your claim to the heart of blues and jazz fans everywhere with "At Last" when you were just a teen! May God and his Angels fly you where your music always flies me, doll – straight to heaven. Rest In Well Deserved Peace, I Love You!

December 16, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  91. karina

great voice, God bless this child!

December 16, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Joapuck

She must have heard Flo Rida's rendition of her song... xP

December 16, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  93. debroq

That picture doesn't look like her at all.

December 16, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  94. bondevitch

Etta..god...bless.you...on..your...journey...into...the...arms..of...the...lord

December 16, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  95. hoofleau

Etta, I truly love you. Bless you. You are so wonderful and beautiful.

December 16, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Bunzl

Who is the white lady in the picture?

December 16, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jesus

That's Etta James immediately after a chlorine bath. She didn't know that exposure to chlorine causes cancer. Too bad! So sad!

December 17, 2011 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • DeTamble

Hillary Clinton.

December 17, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  97. msredbone

U are in my heart mrs etta james and forever will be. U will go in peace and be free (at last).

December 16, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  98. ginger

monrob... got you all to respond to him.... just what he set out to do..
    ignore any posts by him/her... you keep falling into his web of stupidity this should be in honor of HER

keep Ms Etta in our prayers

December 16, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  99. tracy

I had the pleasure of seeing this woman in concert in early 90's when I was a teenager. My father was a blues fan and the whole family went to the Philly waterfront blues festival in penns landing. Etta James was the headliner and she made me a fan . I thought the concert was boring but when she took the stage she killed it . Ridiculous. what and american treasure . May God Bless you Ms. james !!

December 16, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  100. lorraine rodriguez

Your the best etta.your songs are from the heart. And have a true meanning of reality for everyone.im so sad to here of your illness.your voice and songs will never die.and you will relive a beautiful life in heaven with the angels your voice will still be heard for eternity good bless you.love you forever.you will be leaving us with the bigest everlasting gift anyone could give."your love for music the songs you sing with ypur beautiful voice and from yoour wonderful heart.take care.lorraine rodriguez from la puente calif.

December 16, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  101. sarah

God speed Etta

December 16, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  102. SUCH A PIECE OF HEAVEN

THIS MUSICAL LEGEND WILL BE REMEMBERED FOR MANY GENERATIONS! I SALUTE YOU ETTA & MY CONDOLENCES TO YOUR FAMILY. YOU WILL BE MISSED SADLEY.

December 16, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Barrie

I would rather go blind girl, than to see you walk away from me.

December 16, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  104. JD

I'll always love her song At Last as one of my favorites. It was sung at my wedding. She is so talented.

December 16, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Joshua Ludd

Yet her being terminally ill is more important to CNN than the actual death of Christopher Hitchens today? The story on Hitchens was gone from the top stories.. and from the whole front pages links section before noon today.

December 16, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Kr8tive

God speed. Peace & blessings

December 16, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Barb

Thank you, Etta, for sharing your talents with us. Bless you......

December 16, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Old School

So sorry to hear this news. God bless Ms James and her family/friends.

No you cannot compare Beyonce to Etta James...that's like comparing the Motel 6 to The Waldorf Astoria. NOT EVEN CLOSE pal.

December 16, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  109. SBJ

Thanks for sharing your strength. Love you, lady.

December 16, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Mary Cordova

Etta God Bless You I really enjoy your music it is so beautiful YOUR MUSIC WILL LIVE ON AND ON

December 16, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Thomas

She is an intricate part of our History and qq must make certain that our children know this.

December 16, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  112. sean hicks

What Beyonce have to do with it ...kandid.grow up

December 16, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mtnmedic

Only one of the greatest female vocalists in modern history. What have YOU done? Who are YOU?

December 17, 2011 at 2:51 am | Report abuse |
  113. Bubblepuppy

Etta who?

December 16, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Sunny Murchison

Beloved Ms. Etta James,
    Over the years, folks shared with me, that I remind them of and/or look like the great Etta James! Ms. James, a distinct honor for me. Blessings and Love to you.

December 16, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  115. landon

Dear Etta, thank you so much for sharing your gift and talent with us. May God bless your soul.

December 16, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Kat

Etta James is a real treasure. She has a beautiful voice and her recordings are purely timeless. God bless you Etta.

December 16, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  117. donnybravo

i never heard a singer with more perfect timing and flawless pitch."CRY LIKE A RAINY DAY"is the ultimate blues song.she cannot be duplicated.

December 16, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  118. pigpig

Music never dies. Etta James, you'll always be with us. God's peace.

December 16, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  119. JOE in LOS ANGELES

Etta James I'd would rather go blind then to see you walk away from me. Only because you are my Dearest Darling. At last I can now tell you How much your music has meant to me. Etta you will always be in my heart and soul. God Bless You.

December 16, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Prozac For Toothless Trailer Park Dwellers

Why is everybody trying to leave this World? Hang on baby!
    Drink a lot of Green Tea it will make you will feel better. Wish you well.

December 16, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  121. punamick

I had the wonderful opportunity to see her at the Monterey Jazz more than 20 years ago. Truly an amazing entertainer.

December 16, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Music fan

Etta, you're a living legend, and your music will surely last forever, past the fads and the silly, insipid noise that masquerades as music today. Your contribution to humanity is immeasurable, and those of who respect what you've done with your art, and to ours, will always have you with us in our hearts. Bless you, Etta!

December 16, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Tubbs

God bless the first black Catwomen

December 16, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Ears

Greatest female singing voice of the pop/blues/soul genre.
    She sang a lot more songs than the one most know her for and they are all 'at least' as good.

December 16, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  125. dawn

I know where all sad but ms james is going to a better place she will b with jesus she wont b in any more pain we loved u and appreciated u while u were here but know its time to be with god all my love and respect

December 16, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  126. goku1374

Usually I just read the comments but I must say that At Last was her most notable song but not the best buy an album or 2 and get the full effect of her beauty they don't makem like her anymore she's one of the best ever and Byonce is not of the same cloth whatsoever.

December 16, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • JOE in LOS ANGELES

You got that right. She didn't even want Beyonce to do her song or even play her..

December 16, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Rick

Go listen to an Etta James record and then you'll know who Janice Joplin was trying to be but fell far short.

December 16, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  128. big Al of KC

Hey you idiots and your politic agenda. This post is about an Icon that has inspired a generation of artist and you want to behave childish. Grow up or go back to the sandbox.

December 16, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  129. av_dss

Miss Etta, Thank you for all the joyful hours I spent in front of my stereo listening to your voice.

December 16, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  130. GREG AND STEVE

THANK YOU FOR YOUR GIVING HEART AND WONDERFUL VOICE. MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND KEEP YOU IN HIS ARMS.

December 16, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  131. hope120

Dear Etta- May god bless you and your family. You have always been my favortie singer and I listen
    to your music all the time. NOT A Person can do your song "At Last" any justice the way you do ...

December 16, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  132. della prevele

I hope this question isn't one I shouldn't ask, but someone recently said Anderson Cooper of CNN was gay. I had never heard that and if he is openly gay, it certainly is okay with me but wanted to be able to accept or deny this allegation. Thank you.

December 16, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Prozac For Toothless Trailer Park Dwellers

Mind your own F**********G business. You pervert! Grow up and get a life.

December 16, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • DeTamble

Della, you should see Andersons boyfriend.
      HOT !

December 17, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Etta is an American treasure

She don't age .. how she do that

December 16, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grog Says

As daffy duck would scream........................

M A K E U P !!!

December 17, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  134. Jaynicia

I have tears in my eyes as I read this. Miss Etta, I hope you're as comfortable as humanly possible and thank you for the wonderful songs and beautiful, timeless voice.

December 16, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  135. Herditall

I'm just confused about the photo on this story,looks more like Ms. Clinton.

December 16, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Prozac For Toothless Trailer Park Dwellers

Yeb, I thought so too.
      For a minute; I thought Hillary doing her own THING.

December 16, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  136. mockingbird2

Etta, when I really want to listen to someone properly sing R & B, I spin up your version of "Something's Got A Hold On Me... Whoa, it must be love!" We love you - and may God bless you, always.

December 16, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  137. GIUK

Etta is a class act, and a wonderful talent. God be with you Etta.

December 16, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  138. Mikeboy

Trollface: What is the point in broadcasting your ignorance and lack of humility? If you don't know who she is, go to Wikipedia. Then, type in your own name and make a comparison.

December 16, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Charlie

Whi is pictured at the top of this story? It is not Etta. Why not use a picture of Etta?

December 16, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  140. elvis costanza

My band opened a show for her back in about 1980 and she was just incredible. Her version of The Eagles' "Take It To The Limit" brought the house down. She will be missed.

December 16, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  141. Nancy

In the movie "Cadillac Records" it was made reference that Minnesota Fats was her dad but don't know if that is true. Any way, "At Last" is a beautiful song and sung equally beautiful by Ms. James. May God bless her family.

December 16, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  142. M, Upjohn

Go in peace Etta, you are loved

December 16, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  143. Deadra

Diva sass..soul sista class, songs full of heart and soul,personal triumps and tragedies, these things seasoned every song she sung. NO other little wannabe can touch that! Why try? RIP dear Lady of song:'(

December 16, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  144. abby

Hearts with and prayers for Etta. God bless you, Etta.

December 16, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  145. NT

May the Lord bless you and your family.Why do some people have to say bad things about other people when they dont even know them.They need Jesus some people have no repect.At Last Mrs Etta i wish you could sing it one more time.

December 16, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mikeyboy

Sorry to remind you, but some people are simply mean and evil with very low self esteem. Putting down others artificially elevates their small egos but it doesn't help the fact that they're miserable.

December 16, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  146. MaynardKrebs

Like Eva Cassidy, another of the great ones gone too soon.

December 16, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  147. Not Fat

I want a Sunday kind of love. We love you, Etta!

"In the Basement" is one of my favorite all time songs!

December 16, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  148. Cupil Schroeder

A heartfelt THANK YOU for all your beautiful music. You are much loved.

December 16, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  149. charles johnson

To: papa Lazarou. You should speak what you know. I do know her and have worked with her in Las Vegas back in the day. Go read a book. Oh thats right, you don't know what a book is.

December 16, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  150. Cam

I'm young and hadn't heard of her until Josh Krajcik performed "At Last" on X Factor USA. His beautiful rendition lead me to discover her original beautiful rendition and all of her other work. I'm not a fan and am sad to hear of her illness. Thanks for your great music!

December 16, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  151. griff griff

One of the all-time greats. "At Last," will always be her signature song. No one, not even Beyonce', can do it like Etta did it. She sang it from her experiences with no computer voice enhancements. Even after she's gone, she'll still be singing for a long time. God bless her!!

December 16, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  152. Papa Lazarou

What a bunch of fake goody two shoes – going on, moaning about someone you never met because their famous – do u really think she would have spit on u if u were on fire!

December 16, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • my2cntsworth

No. Just someone paying my respects to a human being that brought a lttle sunshine to my life with some very beautiful music. You are a bitter little person.

December 16, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cam

Oh right...I forgot that in order to care about individuals you have to personally know them. Aren't we allowed to feel compassion for others regardless of whether or not we have personal relationships with them?

December 16, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheGoat

Guys, the internet troll strives for attention and to instigate emotionally charged responses from those who otherwise have better things to do. Best thing to do with these morons is ignore them and don't let their stupidity ruin your day.

December 16, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ Papa Lazarou (WHAT KINDA LAME NAME IS THAT?)

People can show their compassion towards people even if it is not returned... it's called unconditional love. Maybe you were disappointed in your life because you probably felt like you deserved other people's love and got nothing to show for it. Go hug yourself in the mirror. It's okay.

December 16, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grog Says

**** What a bunch of fake goody two shoes .......

Its ok folks, he just turned six years old today, and his mom is turning off the computer.
      Gotta watch your kids every moment.

December 17, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  153. Missualreadt

At Last was one of many. A Sunday Kind of Love. Tell Mama. Good Rockin Daddy. The Blues Is My Business. Sweet lady, there will never be another as soulful!.

December 16, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  154. charles johnson

Not only "At Last" But her very first hit "Wallflower (Roll with me Henry), "Stop the wedding", "trust in me", "blind girl"(recently performed by Rachel Crowe on x-factor),"fool that I am" ,"all I could do was cry" and many others. I grew up with her music. My prayers are with Miss Etta. Beyonce who????????

December 16, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  155. my2cntsworth

Etta, your song "At Last", was one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. There are times in which the artist and the song come together to create magic. This was one of those rare times. Thank you.

December 16, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  156. Pk miller

The gop party is trying to rid of pbs tv if they that we will never hear sweet voices like etta james again

December 16, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  157. Bobby

Thank you for all the great songs over the years.

December 16, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  158. Yvonne

Ms.Etta James, im praying for your healing. I just love your music. MAY GOD CONTINUE TO BLESS AND EASE YOUR PAIN. <3 U MS. ETTA, GET WELL SOON!

December 16, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  159. quacknduck

One time in my office around 1980 the delivery man came in when her song “I’d Rather Go Blind” was playing and he asked me “Who is the woman imitating Janis Joplin?” and I explained it was the other way around. I wish the best for her.

December 16, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  160. Pk miller

Menrow i know some nice friends that are from the gop party you are the kind of person that makes the dems look bad get to know soul music you might like it fight edda for your life

December 16, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  161. Gcollins73

Now this is sad!

December 16, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  162. ZipYourLips

Wow...... this is really sad news. I heard about her being hospitalized at some point but had no clue that she was this ill. We will once again lose another legendary person who has touched so many hearts with their voice. Mrs. Etta James, you've touched us all, you will never be forgotten, and 'At Last' will continue to be the #1 all time favorite love song. Thank you for helping many of us create such beautiful memories with your unforgettable music.

December 16, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  163. charlie

She is a great singer. She has done some great songs. She will be missed. I hope she is resting confortably? Hopefully she goes nice and quiet, and without pain.

December 16, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  164. sher

Etta was the inspiration for women soul and blues singers including Janice Joplin. Beautiful voices will sing with the angels in heaven.

December 16, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  165. Mark H.

She made so much great music in a career that spanned decades. Her talent was timeless. I guess every artist has a "signature" song, but I'll remember Miss Etta James for much more than just "At Last."

December 16, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  166. Erin

This is terrible news. I hope she knows how much fans around the world appreciate her, especially considering the trash that's on the radio these days. Whether she only has a few months, weeks, or days left, I hope they are without pain and filled with love, happiness, friends, family, and a satisfaction for the life she'd led. She should be proud of her accomplishments.

December 16, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  167. GuestColin

Why does ms. James not have top billing over that idiot Kardashian? CNN, you make me nuts. This woman is a legend. Give her some respect, not a barely legible line of font.

December 16, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  168. sher

Alzheimer's sucks. Mama has it. Etta, I hope your passing is as beautiful as you are. You are an earth angel. Now go "Tell Mama" "All I Could Do Was Cry" !

December 16, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  169. JAG0419

Best wishes lovely, talented lady. You are in our prayers.

Yours was one of the classic love songs of all time!

December 16, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  170. RLR

We pray that Miss Etta passes on peacefully and without any pain. One of the great soul singers!

December 16, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  171. Pk miller

James etta was in the prime of her life geting old is not so bad i saw etta on a oldes shop on pbs she was wonderful james enjoy life

December 16, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  172. dan

There's no one who can sing Sugar on the Floor and Damn Your Eyes like this woman can, man what a legend. Keep the faith Etta, love you....

December 16, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  173. Mz Bratt

Ms James may God Bess you......

December 16, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  174. mZ bRATT

gET BETTER mS jAES i LOVE YOUR MUSIC.....

December 16, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  175. Trollface

lol wut? Who is this old crone

December 16, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  176. donald

The song Is classic. She has passed the baton to Beyonce! another great one. Beyonce song that song very well during the presidents inauguration.

December 16, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • cdgfla

LOL. Now that is the best one I've heard today. Beyonce in the same breath with Etta James. You must be on crack. That's like saying Ryan Leaf took over for Joe Montana.

December 16, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • GEM217

I REALLY don't think Beyonce can hold a candle to Etta. That's like comparing Da Vinci to Jackson Pollack.

December 16, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Of course Beyonce can't hold a candle to Etta yet... but you really should find Beyonce's rendition of "At Last" that she sang at Obama's inaugural ball... it WAS incredible. Maybe not on the order of Etta's version – but pretty damned good.

December 16, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Going In Circles

Beyonce ?
      Oh My God !!!
      How do we rescue the younger generation from complete ignorance ?
      Donald must think Justin Boober has talent.
      Shame.

December 17, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  177. riceroni

I'm a professional musician and you Mrs. James was a huge inspiration. Though your body may leave us your spirit will remain among us forever.

December 16, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  178. zekepepe

Thx for the music Etta...calling you a legend would be an understatement...

December 16, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  179. Tha Chikin

Oh no... it is very sad that one of the most beautiful voices ever recorded is going to be lost. She is going to be missed for sure. Etta will however always be immortal.

December 16, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  180. RonaldJenkins

Etta,

Please call me. I am more than willing to give you some anal poundage before you pass.

God Bless,
    Ronald

December 16, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • GEM217

Are you serious??!!!! You sick creep!

December 16, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheGoat

Stop feeding the internet trolls with attention. It's the best thing you can do. Some people delibaretly post crap like this just to illicit an emotional response.

December 16, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tired of trolls

You are worse than Monrob. Who are you, his clone?

December 16, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leslie

only replying to tell you I'm reporting your totally inappropriate disgusting comment.

December 16, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • SIckPatrol

Everyone, please just report abuse on this idiot's comment and we'll soon be rid of him.

December 16, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • DeTamble

I have just emailed CNN and reported you, and ask that you be permanently blocked from
      posting on this site.

**** RonaldJenkins

December 17, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  181. Cincinnati Bengal

Thanks Etta for a timeless classic

December 16, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  182. Linda

Etta James is an all time great singer. She has performned many times at the Playboy Jazz Festival over the years and hearing her sing "at Last" live is something to remember always. Thanks Etta for all you have given us. We will never forget you or your amazing voice. You made the world a better place.

December 16, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  183. Linda Rivera

Etta you are more than just that one sone "At Last" but what a beautiful song it is and the person is right no one can sing it like you.

December 16, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  184. Thank you

Thank you so much for what you have done for the world. God Bless

December 16, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  185. Claxton

Never cared for the song "At Last", even though I think Etta James has a beautiful voice...She's definitely left a lasting impression on all those who've listened to her...May the Lord rest her soul...

December 16, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • cdgfla

Saying you don't like the song "At Last" is like saying you don't like Kittens, Puppies, or breathing. Its a f'ing beautiful timeless composition that is a classic piece of Americana. Its one of those perfect melodies that stays with you for generations. Like "Let it Be" or "Gimme Shelter".

December 16, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • 21ccb

Actually Etta never cared much for "At Last" either. In fact, she once said she hated it when people asked her to sing it. She much preferred to sing songs like "I'd Rather Go Blind" which she felt were much more "natural" to her. Myself, I love every single note the dear Lady ever sang!

December 16, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  186. bad ct

you traveled all over and changed alot of peoples lives and now god you to come and get your reward

December 16, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  187. mr buckeye

No need for politics. Its our free speech to not like your off topic comment.

December 16, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  188. Losh

God Bless you sweetheart, One of the greatest voices to ever grace this planet.x

December 16, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  189. sortakinda

Etta: Your name and music will live on in the entertainment world, and the crossword puzzle.

December 16, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  190. TheBiz

Etta, seeing you perform live was one of the best musical experiences of my life.

December 16, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  191. james

bless you. getting old sucks

December 16, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  192. rustandsun

Another great voice is being silenced.

December 16, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  193. Smarie

My thoughts and prayers go out to Ms. James and her family. She is such a wonderful talent! No one can sing "At Last," like Etta James.

December 16, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  194. mr buckeye

Thankyou for the beautiful song. god speed

December 16, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  195. Frank

This is indeed sad news, but know that your music will last forever.

December 16, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  196. Diana

Whether she was republican or democrat . . . we can all agree that she is awesome!!!!!

December 16, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jesus

The Grand Canyon is "AWESOME". Etta was a an accomplished singer.

December 17, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  197. LM

Political statements on a post of this nature are inappropriate.

December 16, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  198. Monrob

@TMoney & Liz:

Screw you both if you can't take a joke and freedom of Speech.

December 16, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Smarie

Your comment was not funny. And freedom of speech also means the freedom to know when to keep your nasty comments to yourself. Go away.

December 16, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • cdhall

Monrob – Again, you prove your ignorance. You are guilty of exactly what you are condemning. Two individuals who are expressing their opinions about your ignorant post (it was ignorant) and yet you tell them they shouldn't be able to express their opinions about what you've said ?! They did it politely and correctly, and yet you throw it back at them by using a vulgar attack and telling them that they shouldn't express their opinion. You need to realize why people are condeming what you said. It's not that you shouldn't be "allowed" to say it, but it's inconceivable that in a discussion about a woman and her terminal illness, you chose to post a "joke" ? I will fight for your right to express your free speech, however I will shake my head in astonishment at the degree of ignorance and heartlessness that you've expressed. Grow up.

December 16, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maine Liberal

genius "free speech" is from the government not your own stupidity

December 16, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sistaa

Actually MonRob (or MorRon),

It isnt about your free speech... it is about your utter lack of respect or common decency. We all realize you were being sacrastic, however this isn't a time to make a joke.

You have every right to act like an a hole and we have every right to tell you you are one.

December 16, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Playjojo

You need to learn the time, and place for a "Joke." (You also need to learn the meaning of the word) Most children are taught early about respect. Go to the political page and rag them, your immaturity will fit right in.

December 16, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leslie

Monrob – I don't think anyone was questioning your freedom of speech; it was your lack of decorum. By your latest comment, I can see you still don't get it.

December 16, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • donnybravo

it's not about freedom of speech or a joke.you're simply an idiot.

December 16, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ground Zero

With freedom of speech comes the responsibilty how to use it.
      You have abused it.
      To everyone posting, he is just a little troll looking for attention.
      STOP giving it to him.
      When he is ignored, he will get bored and go away.
      Better yet, report abuse.

December 17, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  199. Stephen

One of the greatest voices to ever grace this planet. Prayers for peace for her family and friends. May her suffering be as minimal as her impact is lasting...

December 16, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steven

I hope Etta and her family knows how much she is loved by so many. I will que some Etta music and pray for her peace.

December 16, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • C

AMEN!!!

December 16, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Playjojo

Well put, and and from your mouth to gods ear. At last your time has come to grace those above. Thank you for sharing your great gift with us.

December 16, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  200. Mr EE

At Last.

December 16, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jesus

That's cold!! Would you say to your Mom, "At Last" when she came to you with news that she was terminal?

December 17, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  201. Frank Jimenez

Ditto! Thank you for your music! And may God Bless you and your family.

December 16, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  202. Inowei

The world has been a better place with your music God bless you Etta.

December 16, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  203. Louise

We love you and your music.

December 16, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  204. Pamela

At Last was our wedding song. Our guests made the band sing it twice. Thank you Etta. God Bless.

December 16, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • MindYourOwn

Didnt know you, wouldn't wanna be you.....but may you rest in peace. As for the 'blessed' people that must resort to names calling toward those you disagree with... you would do well to be more 'Etta like'..rather than your usual ignorant self of only seeing your own point of view.

December 17, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Jesus

My wedding song was "Beat Me Daddy Eight To The Bar'....it was a short lkived S & M based marriage.

December 17, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Nadia

I think you may have posted to the wrong thread because you just came off as very rude to the nice lady that left the sweet message. I think what you said was very sweet Pamela.

December 17, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  205. Monrob

She can ask god for forgiveness for being a republican.

December 16, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • TMoney

and you can ask for forgiveness for being a moron after he gave you a brain...

December 16, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Liz

Its idiots like you that make the rest of us democrats ashamed

December 16, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank Jimenez

How disgusting Monrob! Must everything be politicized? Etta is loved by everyone else for who she is, not for what YOU want her to be.

December 16, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Smarie

What a totally stupid, tasteless, tacky comment to make about someone who is terminally ill! You should be ashamed of yourself. What is wrong with you anyway?

December 16, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mr. Tibbs

Monrob seems like an idiot, but we don't know for sure...he could be just an immature highschool kid who doesn;t know any better or something. I'm sure he learn to take the feelings of others into consdieration, when commenting about people experiencing serious health issues as he matures.

December 16, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Golden God

Real Classy. Typical llibtard.

December 16, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Dude

I forgive her for being a republican. She does have Alzheimer's. She probably thinks Eisenhower is still President.

December 16, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Monrob's Mother

Sorry guys, he got loose from the basement again.

December 16, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rapier

Golden God,

Don't lump the rest of the left in with this jerk. We may have differing views on somethings but I think we can both agree that this waste of space is an affront to anything that walks on two legs.

Sincerely,
      The Loyal Opposition

December 16, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • RWM

What a sad thing, that you can't hold in mind two things at once, that a person can have views that we disagree with and may still give great gifts. Miss Etta has done much for the world and at the end of life we are neither Republican nor Democrat, but fragile beings facing a Great Unknown, all the same. I hope you someday can see that, long before you're the one who needs the rest of us, D and R alike.

December 16, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • scranton

Monrob you must have a really crappy life. Enjoy it.

December 16, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Ask god for forgiveness of being a republican?!? Unfortunately with the freedom of speech in this great country of ours we have to hear from mindless, welfare receiving horrible lazy people like you. You should be ashamed.

December 16, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • riceroni

I'm as liberal/progressive as they come and I find your statement is tacky, tasteless, disrespectful, and very out of line. This is neither the time nor place.

December 16, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bubsy

Was that necessary? At this moment, if you can't say anything nice......

December 16, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard T

STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES...HAPPY HOLIDAYS YOU FOOL

December 16, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • whoshouldbeashamed?

Steve – I think you have it backwards. It is you who should be ashamed. Why would you jump to the conclusion that just because someone does not hold to your beliefs, they are a "mindless, horrible, lazy welfare recipient? Your words are not only hateful but it shows your ignorance. I feel sorry for people who feel the need to be so mean. I would take a good hard look inward buddy.

December 16, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Liz

Your taking up space

December 16, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sagebrush Shorty

If brains were dynamite you couldn't blow your nose.

December 16, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • buck cameron

,I don't know where you place yourself politically but I am sure that the rest of us here, of whatever stripe, think you have been entirely inappropriate.

December 16, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • LW

Doesn't take long to scroll down to find a comment like this to spoil it. You must be a very sad, depressed person.

December 16, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • frsi

Someday, when you grow up and gain some maturity, you will realize that politics isn't all that important. For now and until you gain that wisdom, you remain an ignorant, child-like, nitwit.

December 16, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • pat carr

Shut up and leave politics out of this. I don't want to hear it from either side

December 16, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jerry

Liz: As if just being a Democrat weren't shameful enough......

Goodbye, Etta, and thanks for the beautiful songs.

December 16, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Angie Johnson

Well said TMoney. Also like Monrob's Mother comment. It's sad when individuals can't respond with gracious comments.

December 16, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • SBJ

ETTA JAMES IS NOT A REPUBLICAN. She's a long-time Democrat who frequently poked fun of the right wing. She sang at Clinton's inauguration. Where were you?

December 16, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryan R

Monrob, you're such an idiot.

One of the reasons why I hate this country is because people like you judge people for being who they want to be. It is called a "free country", but it seems to die off with more and more people like you.

Does your boss agree with you for being against him? No.

Now leave.

December 16, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • JomoDaMusicMan

Where in the hell did u get your information. some of u just make up stories about celebrities political parties. like Dr King was a republican which was another lie. He supported Johnson's re election and also supported Kennedy both John & Bobby. Oh, by the way AT LAST was great but that's not Etta's only great song how about LOVIN U MORE EVERYDAY

December 16, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • ThinkAgain

I think "Monrob" is a Republican posing as a Dem ... it's the kind of thing they often stoop to, you know.

Ms. James, thank you for all your wonderful music. Maybe your transition to the next life be peaceful and loving. My thoughts are with your family and friends.

December 17, 2011 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
    • michael fellow brit

damn you to hell.

December 17, 2011 at 7:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Jesus

Gawd will never forgive her for being a Republican. Some sins just can't be erased.

December 17, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • joey.s

we all know your a republican trying to make democrats look bad. Maybe better for you to show some respect for your fellow republicans who you have disrespected in the process.

December 17, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • s.brown

I did not see any humor in ANY of your remarks. Hopefully you are not a stand -up comic or you might well starve to death sir. I will pray for you, AFTER praying for the soul of Ms. James. A lady as well as a great talent who touch millions in a POSITIVE way.

December 17, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • quackerducks

YHBT. YHL. HAND.

December 17, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  206. TMoney

simply the best....her music will endure the test of all time

December 16, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  207. lpr1422

Thank you for the music, God Bless.

December 16, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thanks and good riddance.....

Don't let the door hit you on the way out lady! NEXT!

December 16, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  208. David

Etta... may Godd bless you. And thanks for recording one of the most beautiful songs of all time.

December 16, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jamie

Well said.

December 16, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kandid

Diddo. She has more recording treasures, but will always be remembered for "At Last." Hope Beyonce took notes.

December 16, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • buckcameron

If there is a more beautiful song than Etta's rendition of "At Last" I would dearly love to hear it.

December 16, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gladys

Ms. James: You will never be forgotten. Tears come to my eyes everytime I hear your beautiful song. God Bless You.

December 16, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Amen. "At Last" still brings tears to my eyes and raises the hair on my neck every time I hear it!

December 16, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Johnnieg

All the good ones from the fifties are leaving us ........A beautiful song.

December 16, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobB

While this beautiful Lady will live on forever in Song we must continue to sing the beautiful melody to those who have never heard it. My wife who is a Jazz and Blues singer does sing "At Last' quite frequently in her performances and from now on it will have an even more special meaning to us. We cannot let this type of music go by the wayside. God Bless Etta James and thanks for all you have given use.

December 16, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sad, sad, so sad.....Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

NEXT!

December 16, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pat in il

Ditto.

December 16, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stephanie

Not only will she be remembered for her rendition of a beautiful song, "At Last," but she was one of the greatest blues singers of all time with an incredible range. That she lived to be in her 70's is an achievement in itself.

December 16, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • getagrip

Agree. No one sings that song like her.

December 16, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scarf

She's toast.

December 16, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scarf's mom

Yes, Scarf, but you're trash.

December 16, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • thequeenbee

Etta maintained in her autobiography that she believed Minnosota fats was her dad, though she never knew him as her dad. She said a lot of white men used to come into the hood for nookie and on more than one occasion he came in to see her mom. don't know if it is true–but it would have been nice if she could have been reconciled with both sides of her family before she goes.

December 16, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marlye

I had the great pleasure of meeting her after one of her concerts in my home town. Wonderful person.

December 16, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • dennis f.

God bless you....etta and "at last you shall have peace" thank you for the lovely songs.

December 16, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julie K.

Thank you Miss James. We have lov\ed your music

December 16, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • abe

YES SHE RECOREDED ONE OF MY FAVORITE ALL TIME SONGS. I HEARD IT ONCE AND SEARCHED FOR MONTHS TO FIND OUT WHO AND WHAT THE SONG WAS. BLEES HER IN HER TIME OF NEED.

December 17, 2011 at 6:00 am | Report abuse |
    • lch@bellsouth.netBasil

God bless you and all people facing a long road home. Thank you sooooo kindly for your beautiful voice and the beautiful woman you are, God bless Ms Etta over and over.

December 17, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jessica

Yes, I agree, thank you Etta.

December 17, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • HollywoodSurF

Let's hope she's in peace. The Boycotting of NBC and it's sponsors! Boycotting NBC and their sponsors.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS4Y52lqmg4&w=640&h=390]

December 19, 2011 at 2:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Hot Carl

Jeff says,

Hey Jeff, what does it do for the hair on your palms?

December 19, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |