David Cross hated making new 'Chipmunks' movie
December 16th, 2011

David Cross hated making new 'Chipmunks' movie

Once upon a time, back in 2007, "Arrested Development" actor David Cross – one of the mainstays of the wildly successful "Alvin and the Chipmunks" movie franchise – defended his work in the first movie after receiving criticism that he'd sold out. (It was later dismissed as a "private in-joke" by fellow comic actor Patton Oswalt).

Well, the days of Cross defending "Chipmunks" are long gone.

David Cross isn't the only one: Nine other stars who talked trash about their own films

In an interview with Indiewire, Cross said that his experience on "Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked" was "literally, without question, the most unpleasant experience I’ve ever had in my professional life."

Now that Cross is "contractually done" with the three films, which star Jason Lee as Dave Seville, he is speaking his mind about the third movie of the series, released in theaters today.

"It’s safe to say I won’t be working with some of those people ever again," he said. "Not the actors. And the director was great. We got along. There were a couple of people, though... it was just a really awful, unpleasant experience."

On the other hand, Cross still found something positive to say about making the three movies, if only because he was recognized in places like China.

"I got recognized in a teeny tiny town in Mozambique," he said. "In Zimbabwe. Botswana. It’s crazy."

Cross, whose current series, "The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret," returns to IFC in January, said that every "Arrested Development" actor has verbally agreed to appear in the new season of shows, coming to Netflix.

"No one wants to be the a–hole who ruins it for everyone else. But no one doesn't want to do it, everyone’s excited."

1. bcx

I bet he didn't have a problem collecting the checks! Annoying to read or hear actors complain about their job. Don't like the millions or the fame? Then go work at a dead-end job for $8 per hour!

December 23, 2011 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  2. StanleyBing

Soon as the check cleared the sell-out wanted to unsell himself.

December 22, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. lisa

How are Mozambique, Zimbabwe and Botswana anything like China??

December 21, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • dabeansdad

They are only slightly more developed ethically

December 22, 2011 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
    • loupgarous

Because of all the Chinese "military advisors" in those countries in full uniform and combat kit. My guess is that Cross' bus was stopped next to a Chinese military convoy in Zimbabwe and figured "Hey, they're all foreigners, what the hell?"

January 1, 2012 at 2:12 am | Report abuse |
  4. sockpuppet

why is it always "selling out" to do something that pays your bills? It's not like he changed his stand up to kid-friendly material to sell seats–that would be selling out. I guess my husband sells out every day when he goes to that sh1tty job every day that he hates. The b@st@rd only cares about bringing home a paycheck and not about his artistic soul.

December 20, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. buffalo

People that think "Arrested Development" is funny suffer from Arrested Development.

December 19, 2011 at 2:15 am | Report abuse |
    • me

And you sir, obviously suffer from a pair of panties wound waaaaayyyyy to tight... it's okay to laugh, and regardless of what your mother told you, women to pass gas... My guess is that the plethora of layed jokes in that show were missed by you... it was, perhaps, the best writing for a show EVER... but, you enjoy your Friends reruns, okay?

December 19, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jennifer

Seeing his face on the big screen is unpleasant.....

December 18, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sharon O

I'm sure he didn't mind cashing the check after they paid him for making such an awful movie.

December 18, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Elisa Jordana

Tobias Funke, Analrapist

December 18, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Name (required)

Some lesbean should maybe slap him. He seems anti american.

December 17, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Name (required)

Maybe Dave is a hooomeer. A fuuuudjepacking one. He sure sounds like it. I bet he is also a muuslim. A total P.O.S.

December 17, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meestor Yay

No, he's not Muslim. You're pretty close... He's Jewish. Almost the same thing...

December 19, 2011 at 7:12 am | Report abuse |
  11. annmarie

Too bad David Cross is showing such hate for Chipwrecked. Took my daughter and her friend to see it, and they loved it. Every kid in the theater seemed to feel the same way. Sorry DC had a bad experience. If he could see how much the children enjoyed the movie, maybe he could lighten up. I'm not sure there is a job on the planet that guarantees you will not encounter co-workers who make life miserable. At least when the movie wrapped, his misery ended. The rest of us are not always so fortunate.

December 17, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  12. er

would much rather watch the chimpmunks WITHOUT you..So good, glad youre not going to do it anymore.
    How bout retiring.....?

December 17, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  13. P Ness

What a Jerk. Keep things like this to yourself. Such a tough life you live.

December 17, 2011 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
    • John

He lives in a world of which someone like you (or me) has no understanding. Have you ever complained about anything you've ever had to do in your humble little job? But did it anyway because it was your job and they were paying you? Have you ever complained about a past employer? That's what he's doing here. That's what's happening here, but on a much grander stage than you'll ever inhabit.

December 18, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Milf Biggenson

Ah, I can't wait to possibly hear Cross' foibles from that movie set in another book or stand up routine. I don't begrudge him doing Alvin to make some money. Mr. Show should have made him a rich man as it is the funniest sketch comedy show since Monty Python. It elevated comedy to absurd new levels that no other ensemble has come close to doing since Python in the 60's and 70s. Don't believe me? Go and buy the DVDs and prepare for an onslaught of hilarity. Arrested Development wouldn't be the same without him and Todd Margaret is equally brilliant. He's one of the funniest comedians of this generation. My kids love him (13 and 15) and so does my wife and that's because they appreciate hilarity. No Big Bang Theory, 2 and A Half Men BS in my household. I can barely be civil to those who enjoy that nonsense. I only wish Cross would come to Canada and do stand up, We'd be there in a second to get tickets for that. Come on Cross, do some stand up shows here!!

December 17, 2011 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
  15. Guest

Just bring back Arrested Development before Micheal Cera hits puberty
    I also want to see if George Micheal ever bangs his cousin

December 16, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  16. turdmiester 7

I mailed off crimmas cards today. That sure was nice of me. Now it is weekend time so I get to go home and listen to my idiot family complain. WAHOOO. Merry crimmas.

December 16, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  17. jenna talia

I hope that tuurd muncher LoJenk doesnt post more of those horrible videos. She seems to be a tuuurd wrangling fuuudjepacker that munches on doooodooo.

December 16, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  18. marlene

He is just jealous because the chipmunks are far more tallented than him. Plus they are getting a bigger royalty check.

December 16, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Um. the chipmonks are computer generated fictions. He is a brilliant comedian with a years long track record to prove it. And you must be twelve.

December 18, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Really?

@John..I believe her response was sarcasm? maybe? or at least a joke...

December 19, 2011 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
    • AW

Glad John could chime in and give us some insight into the type of demographic who supports this obnoxious hack.

December 23, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • jules

Get a life, Marlene, you humorless moron.

December 27, 2011 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
    • bob bobbenson

Hahaha you noob, horrible name as well

December 31, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |