Charlize Theron: Ditch the Hello Kitty, ladies
December 16th, 2011

Charlize Theron: Ditch the Hello Kitty, ladies

Charlize Theron seems to have a very particular pet peeve: Adults who rock Hello Kitty gear.

Us Weekly reports the “Young Adult” star discussed her latest role and the wardrobe required to play a developmentally stunted woman at the New York Times' TimesTalk panel in NYC Friday. "'Get me some Hello Kitty T-shirts.' Those were my demands," she told the audience.

The 36-year-old actress then explained her feelings on the adorable cartoon cat and her older fans:

"I'm pretty amazed by Hello Kitty. I see so many women in their 30s walking around in Hello Kitty s--- and nobody is concerned for them," she said. "It's the one iconic teenage symbol that seems okay for women in their 30s? The world seems to not have an issue with it."

(We’re guessing this means Charlize will never buddy up to known Hello Kitty aficionados Mariah Carey and Paris Hilton.)

Japanese animation expert Helen McCarthy has offered an explanation on the phenomenon to UK paper The Independent, saying that older female fans “hang onto Hello Kitty out of nostalgic longing – as if by keeping a symbolic object, they can somehow keep hold of a fragment of their childhood self."

« Previous entry
  1. *dragonfly5829

Uh I can't stand that stupid cat.

November 26, 2013 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  2. click here

I do accept as true with all of the ideas you've introduced for your post. They're really convincing and can definitely work. Nonetheless, the posts are very brief for novices. Could you please lengthen them a bit from subsequent time? Thank you for the post.

July 28, 2012 at 4:10 am | Report abuse |
  3. set up your own minecraft sever today

My brother recommended I might like this web site. He was once entirely right. This post actually made my day. You cann't consider just how much time I had spent for this info! Thanks!

April 18, 2012 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Betty boop merchandise cheap

Nice blog, lots of good reading here. Thought I would post this for all the Betty Boob lovers. I enjoyed this site so I think you all will to.Betty Boop Merchandise

January 17, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Shawn

I'm a 54 year old successful, financial stable and quite happy business woman and grandmother who has a Hello Kitty mouse for my laptop and Hello Kitty speakers for the PC in my home office. Ms. Theron is welcome to believe that I'm emotionally stunted or afraid to grow up, and I'm welcome believe that she projecting her own fears on others.

January 14, 2012 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  6. Aaron Gosnell

Charlize Theron,Hmmm now that's a paragon of intelligence.Of course most of that Hollyweird crowd wouldn't know class if it stared them in the face,

January 10, 2012 at 3:25 am | Report abuse |
  7. Steve

IIts completely harmless. Why should someone care? What shoudl we be wearing , a Dior tshirt?

January 9, 2012 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Aaron Gosnell

Hey Steve,Charlize Theron can buzz off and take the rest of the substance abuse crowd with her.

January 10, 2012 at 3:35 am | Report abuse |
  8. mojonaamdi

Charlize Theron is hot. She can say whatever she wants and she'll still be hot!

January 5, 2012 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jim J

Who cares. Wear what you want and be happy.

January 4, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  10. NightKitten

Hello Kitty was not made for kids or teens in mind . She was created to be a spokesanimal for Sanrio back in the late 60's-70's which then it was a silk company, then they started making sandles and the company slowly became what it is today. Also the person who owned the company realized that putting cute things on stuff made more profit.

I am 24 and wear Hello Kitty! So that makes me less of an adult? Sorry, i don't want to be like every other boring adult who wears boring clothing or overpriced ugly dresses. That is my personality, I love cute things and hate the boring.

I am married and have a full time job with Boeing, I also take care of my mom who is disabled. I think i am pretty mature and stable even though I love cute thing slike Hello Kitty.

I like what I like and will continue to like what I like, at least I am free and not controlled by society or afraid of society judging me,

January 4, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Bob Dole

Nothing wrong with what makes you happy. Being grown up means not caring if someone makes fun of you. I'm 29, male, and love My Little Pony. just do a google search for the word Brony, its a wonderful, and caring commmunity of people, couldn't be prouder to be a part of.

January 4, 2012 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
  12. dl

Like Dior is so appropriate? John Galliano – now THERE'S a hater role model.

January 3, 2012 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  13. dk

If I had her address I would send her a Hello Kitty merchandise and write a card that Hello Kitty loves you too.

January 2, 2012 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. dk

I'm rather date a woman wearing Hello Kitty PJ than a Christian Dior PJ, at least a woman fashioning Hello Kitty shows me that she's still young at heart. Not heartless wearing Christian Dior beach.

January 2, 2012 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  15. anOPINIONATEDsob

Neither of the women represented are in any way the equal in talent or intelligence with Ms. Theron. That is not to say they are inferior but to point out the vast difference in their lives and occupations that do not require the same level of thought to sustain success. Anyone who could portray Ailene Wornos to the degree that Ms. Theron accomplished has an ability that borders on frightening. I was involved in the Wornos case and Ms. Theron had her down pat to the point of a similarity of appearance that was intense. I'm not of the hello kitty group preferring my Cheetah and a Lynx Rufus that adopted me as surrogate "mom" recently. Perhaps I have no sense of humor either.

January 2, 2012 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  16. wyciwyg

i'm with Charleze - ladies dress age-appropriately! nothing sillier than an over30-something dressed like a teen or tween.
    accessories such as purses, keychains are one thing, Tshirts, dresses?, shorts etc belong on the under-20 crowd!

January 1, 2012 at 4:43 am | Report abuse |
  17. Acton

The US a free country: one can where what they want. I am a 51 year old hopeless Otaku who love hello Kitty. I carry a hello Kitty wallet and key chain a hello Kitty backpack and 35+ all over my aprtment. I am proponet of self expression and If I go against one's contrive notion of normalcy so be it. deal it it I not part of the society.
    I dare anybody to try to tell me I can not have any hello kitty item. I just laugh and walk away because I know there nothing they can do.

December 31, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • dk

kudos to you, there is nothing wrong with fashioning Hello Kitty. It's not like a fat woman wearing ultra tight spandex pants from the 80s or dressing up like a cheap street walker. Hello Kitty merchandise are all tasteful.

January 2, 2012 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Kate

Or they just actually like the stuff! Jeez it's not like anyone's forcing her to wear it! Some hello kitty stuff is cute! I'm 25 and have loved it since i was 10. Though I don't go around in the clothes or wear the purses, I love the pens and notebooks! They're cute, what's the big deal?

December 29, 2011 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Janie

I wonder if she's offended by graphic/character tees on women in their 30s, or specifically Hello Kitty? If I go to Disney World with my family, am I emotionally stunted if I bring back a shirt and wear it to the grocery? What a weird, mean generalization to make! Personally I find that blonde skullcap hairdo she's wearing in this picture pretty hideous and age inappropriate for her. Perhaps a nice 50s flipped bob would better suit her outlook on who should wear what.

December 29, 2011 at 6:47 am | Report abuse |
  20. Stupid Spoiled Ore

Have you ever seen this woman without her makeup on? Remember the movie monster? She was prettier in that movie, atleast she had a LITTLE makeup on then. Maybe if she wore some hello kitty she wouldn't be such a S S W (See name) and would realize people dont care what she thinks. Go play pretend in the mirror some more, maybe one day you can more shiny trinkets from your co-workers.

December 27, 2011 at 6:15 am | Report abuse |
  21. Tashady

lol! I wear Hello Kitty and I'm nearly 40. I also wear Betty Boop and Mickey Mouse. I wear it because I think it's cute, not because of some weird 'holding onto my childhood' thingie. ^_^ I find the entire article and discussion hilarious. I can wear whatever I want. What is anyone gonna do about it? Buy me new clothes? lol!

December 27, 2011 at 5:35 am | Report abuse |
  22. Catwoman

Her point is...grow up. It's not avant garde...it's pathetic.

December 26, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Ted Striker

People can wear whatever they want, who cares, Charlize Theron needs to butt out of other people's business. And what's up with CNN carrying her PR water ? There was an article recently about how she was picked on and boys wouldn't go out with her, trying to make the other girls feel less threatened by her and the guys make her think she's accessible to them.

December 26, 2011 at 3:37 am | Report abuse |
  24. meow

...Um...I couldn't find my favorite hello kitty t-shirt and was looking all over the house for it when my husband came in from cutting wood and took his jacket off...he was wearing my hello kitty shirt and claimed it was now his!

December 25, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Frannie

It's not just the Hello Kitty, but all the damnable cartoon character shirts that are being marketed to grown women. Even a bigger peeve is the idea that women over a certain clothing size all want to wear shirts covered with Tinkerbell or Mickey Mouse or Betty Boop or any other childhood icon. Even more appalling is the idea that a plus-size woman is only happy with shirts covered in tons of glitter and sequins.

For those of smaller proportions, it seems the only shirts available to fit are in the Juniors' Department.

After a certain age. it would be nice to find clothing that has found that happy medium between childhood cute and "old lady in a casino" preciousness.

December 25, 2011 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
  26. greenhorn1

I always loved Hello Kitty growing up but never got any. I don't buy it now but can understand the allure of it. Who cares if women want to wear a shirt with a cat on it?

December 24, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Lopaka

I'm pretty amazed by Hello Kitty. I see so many women in their 30s walking around in Hello Kitty s- and nobody is concerned for them," she said. " OH YEAH _ WE SHOULD BE CONCERNED .. ARE YOU ? WHY ? LOL This is hilarious. Mainlanders ! hahaha

December 23, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Q

next on her attack list: disney

December 23, 2011 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  29. jaydee

what about the people that wear the "beer helmet" or the baseball cap that has Goofy's face and ears on it?

December 23, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  30. Bren

Whateva...I wear what I want and don't care what Charlize or anyone else thinks!

December 22, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Darth Cheney

If Charlize is anti-HK and Paris and Maria are pro-HK, I think that pretty much wraps up what side to be on. And it ain't Paris Hilton's side...

December 22, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Joe Rioux

We like to criticize Congress for being unable to agree on anything, or make any rational, important decisions.

Meanwhile, we spend time blogging/arguing about Hello Kitty and hanging on every word said by some vapid celebrity.

Maybe we should admit that the childish, tantrum-throwing members of Congress really *do* represent the citizens of the U.S.

December 22, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frannie

In case you hadn't noticed, you are in the ENTERTAINMENT section where this is considered important. If you want to discuss Congressional stupidity, there is a Politics section waiting for you.

December 25, 2011 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  33. HARLEYXX

I would walk a mile in the wet weeds to smell her laundry. I don't even know what Hello Kitty is but if she hates it it must be evil.

December 22, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  34. nitrous

I wanna tattoo HK on Charlize's ass with my meat needle.

December 22, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  35. DeeNYC

Who cares what anyone from South Africa thinks.

December 22, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  36. music guy

does anyone else think Ms. Theron looks like she's been rode hard and put up wet compared to Grace Kelly in the current Dior commercials?

December 22, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Canopy

Gucci Gucci Louis Louis Fendi Fendi Prada...basic 8itches wear that isht so I don't even bother!

December 22, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  38. Jess

There is a time and a place for different types of clothes. When I'm running errands, relaxing, etc - I'll wear nostalgic shirts, which include Hello Kitty, Disney, etc. When I have more adult responsibilities to take care of (such as work, business transactions like signing a mortgage, going out to dinner with coworkers, etc) I wear more mature items. Maybe when I have kids, I'll leave the cartoon shirts and fun stuff like that up to them, but maybe I won't. I know what clothes are appropriate at what times, and if I want to rock a throwback shirt it makes me no less mature of an adult.

December 22, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  39. Tash

Ditch the chain smoking Charlize. Then we might consider your suggestion. Hello Kitty is way less stupid than sucking chimney soot into your body. Then, making us breath the sh** that just came out of your tar mucked lungs. Yeah right. You're so much smarter than HK rockers.

December 22, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  40. Nathan Newman

My daughters love HK but theyre 16 and 14. Women in their 40s who dress like teenagers are creepy.

December 21, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Craig

That Young Adult movie was absolutely terrible. I'd like to offer Theron a little bit of useful advice of my own...

December 21, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Tripe

It's all the same tripe, whether you sport Hello Kitty, Affliction, or any other brand. We must be dolts, paying for things to advertise a company's wares for them.

December 21, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Brenda

Why do people have to hate on everything? Even Hello Kitty is not off limits? I don't wear it to work or out on the town, but I still love this character at 40 and I have Hello Kitty jammies. So there!

December 21, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jess

Same here! I'm not going to wear it to someone's baptism or an interview, but I'll rock Hello Kitty when I'm relaxing or running errands and I'm not ashamed!

December 22, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  44. Daph1

Hello Kitty is embarrassing. The only adults with Hello Kitty are Asian.

December 20, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Mike P

I had an ex girlfriend that was into stuff like this. It made me feel weird when she wore little girl cloths, and talked like a little girl. Some guys might be into it, but I would call them Pedophiles.

December 20, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  46. PINK GIRL

Who is SHE to judge anyone!!?? Hollywood and the so called stars will sell out for anything or anyone that pays them enough!! STOP THE HATE AND JUDGEMENT OF OTHERS!!

December 20, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  47. James

Show me anywhere where it says that when you get older, you have to grow up?

The most stable, and creative, people in the world are those that hold on to their childhood favorites. Look at all of the things adults latch on to that were originally intended for kids: various Disney characters, Bugs Bunny, LEGO ... even the new My Little Pony infatuation, and the Bronies.

"No one should ever give up being who they are because someone else thinks they should."
    -Charles Shultz

December 20, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  48. nurserachet

Hey! I'm 68 and just discovered the bling thing–love it, and it's affordable and fun. Why not? I had to be conservative in suits and pumps thru my whole career, NOW, I can do the bling thing and enjoy every minute. I even have sparkles in my nail polish. Great for the hols.

December 20, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Kat W

I just became eligible for Medicare. The best thing is that while wearing HK in ones 20's – 40's might be considered lame, now it's eccentric! Just not too many matchy-matchy items at once. There's something about that little face....

January 6, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Truth

All you nasty people have inspired me to buy Hello Kitty. If you think I am crazy, then you want talk to me and keep your negativity to yourselves. You like what you like and that is it. No one says a word to adults who sit around all weekend watching sports. Why is that OK? Those people are not trying to hang on to their failed dreams? What about hunters who run around in the woods playing with bows and arrows? Not playing games are we?

December 20, 2011 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Sasquatch

Hunters playing around in the woods? Don't make me laugh. People watch T.V. for entertainment value, not that they are failed sport players. Believe it or not, hunting is still a way to get food for many people. Your ignorance is astounding, get your head out of your @ss.

December 20, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  50. Sasquatch

No such thing as an "inner child" just sad fools who cannot let go of their childhood.

December 20, 2011 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  51. Iknowthismakestoomuchsense

Here is a word of advice..don't alienate any part of your fan base...tsk tsk
    Her inner child must have flown the coop!!!!

December 20, 2011 at 4:45 am | Report abuse |
  52. janelane

she's the 40 something year old always pretending to be someone else. she lies for a living and women who like cute things are screwed up? mmmmkkay.

December 20, 2011 at 4:22 am | Report abuse |
    • johnbgood

I'll pretend to be somebody else 24/7/365 for the kind of money even a moderately successful actor takes home.

December 22, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Mom of Three

News flash, Lady. I am 45, love Hello Kitty, AND I am not hopping from bed to bed. I have a long-term stable marriage and am (very maturely) raising three great kids. I also work for law enforcement, and volunteer for the animal shelter. On the side, I have my own small business, and I also keep a tidy house and a nice yard. You vamp down a runway wearing a dress slit up to your naughty bits, or mug for a camera. And I'M the one who's immature? As if!

December 20, 2011 at 2:54 am | Report abuse |
    • dk

+1 Hello Kitty. I think stirred a hornet's nest with her stupid comment. Hello Kitty is for all ages. Maybe if she said men shouldn't wear them in public I would understand, lmao.

January 2, 2012 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Acton

I'm a 51 year old guy who like the Kitty deal with it.

December 20, 2011 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
  55. kathy

I think she can have her opinions about Hello Kitty and anybody who wants can wear Hello Kitty. Sometimes when I see somebody wearing Hello Kitty I think they are just dressing casual and having fun.
    I don't think her career is over she is in a new movie and in the Dior ads.

December 20, 2011 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  56. caffiene

I have to say, Hello Kitty is a lot less concerning than Tweety Bird.

December 19, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  57. The Flamingo Kid

Who cares what other people wear?! This is so stupid. If someone wants to wear Hello Kitty then let them. I collect Disney cars. Should I not do this because I am an adult? This article is so stupid.

December 19, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  58. binx

I'm a 30-something funky mommy of 2 little girls who are crazy over HK. I love them too, I just can't help it. I even have a tee...that doesn't make me immature! I know my place as a career woman, a wife and a mother. We all need time to let our hair down, slip on a HK tee and just have fun!

December 19, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Flamingo Kid

I have a pac-man shirt and I love to wear it, and I am in my thirties.

December 19, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  59. SensaBull

I would rather wear a hello kitty beach blanket than sit through that movie again- stab..........

December 19, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  60. truefax

who cares what's on a woman's panties what's more important is that the thing under it. But maybe age confirmation should be required when kitties are sighted, who knows.

December 19, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Kay

Yeah, I find it odd that a grown woman will wear winnie the pooh gear or any other cartoon gear. But some people may not like what I wear so "to each their own". Be happy, live life, and worry about how you feel about yourself.

December 19, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  62. bes

Hello Kitty is for woman who for whatever reason have arrested at a particular "Barbie-doll, all you have to be is pretty honey" stage. They are the ones that I see with 80's clothes and just haven't realized that they are now in their 40's. It's really sad.

December 19, 2011 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
  63. annie

i'm in my 30s and i love hello kitty. she symbolizes my childhood and it makes me smile when i see her. growing up, we didn't have much money, but every now and then, someone would get me something small, pretty, something hello kitty. people that have the time to hate loveable cartoon characters were probably never loved or never received anything to be grateful for when they were children ;-p

December 19, 2011 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
  64. WatsonNCrick

I guess the world is more concerned with real problems.

December 18, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  65. confused

Y do ppl feel the need to come on here and tell ppl everything? no need to tell ppl u bought it at target and clearance. @Guest should give you a pearl necklace to dress up that clearance tee

December 18, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Gracie

Haha as I read this I realize that I am wearing a Hello Kitty T-shirt and I am 29. Not that I love Hello Kitty but it was on clearance at target and it looks good on me. Sorry didn't know I was offending anyone.

December 18, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • blessedtowin

I buy them for my sister (t-shirt). I would wear them myself but I am not hot enough yet. I am pretty but not hot. Not yet. I agree they do look good. They also make me smile.

December 19, 2011 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer

*laughs* I'm wearing one as well. This one wasn't on clearance, but is part of Old Navy's holiday line this year. It says Hello Presents, instead of Hello Kitty, and it's black, with silver and red glitter outline of kitty. It's cute, and is perfectly fine on my 30 year old body. Charlize can kiss my a$$ :)

December 23, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  67. madhater

I would have thrown it in her, in that movie "Monster".

December 18, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  68. shawn

Here is some sound advice for Charlize... If you don't have something nice to say, keep yur stupid mouth shut!

December 18, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  69. sarah S

I love all the commenters bashing charlize theron and then say they don't judge others. um, you just judged her for expressing an opinion, DUH! and i personally prefer Peanuts over Hello Kitty.

December 18, 2011 at 3:18 am | Report abuse |
  70. tybo27

I have a friend who loves Hello Kitty. She's 28. I don't know why she loves it and I don't think she does either. In fact she spends alot of time watching ABC Family and disney channel. Her room is painted hot pink and black. Personally, i think she just doesn't want to grow up, but at some point you have to, because people WILL start laughing at you. There's comes a time when you just have to move on. Let the next generation have their time.

December 18, 2011 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
  71. Lee

Damn, Kiss my ass...

December 17, 2011 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  72. RCDC

I will be a gentleman if she is my girlfiend.

December 17, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  73. beth

Oh it must hurts to be you a beautiful,rich,leggy,blonde in California,I know everyone's got problems but I guess waiting for your last paycheck for the year to buy a few presents for two homeless kids is not one that you have.I think you need to grow up and keep your petty complaints out of the media and I also am thirty and love Hello Kitty.

December 17, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  74. mikrik13

This movie was the worst, especially for Christmas time. Patton Oswald was the only actor worth watching. Don't waste your entertainment dollars on this sad dog.

December 17, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  75. HKfan

Hello Kitty is very kind. It's not fashionable to be kind anymore?
    HK is about the kindness and HK fashion screams emotional health! Get on board tall, blonde, and not-doable-till-ya-rock-HK

December 17, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Sarah

Wow, Charlize, get your head out of butt. Who cares what you think about others' clothing? I don't wear Hello Kitty, but I'm also not pompous enough to judge people that do.

December 17, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

No, but you're unnecessarily mean and angry toward one who does.

December 17, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • blesedtowin

I agree. The world can be such a nasty place without adding to it. Being a whole person is embracing even the cute side of yourself.

December 19, 2011 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Booo

I'll repost this for you as well...

It sad you don't know how the media works. Theron probably made the statement in passing and didn't think much about it after it was said – much like Daniel Craig's dig at the Kardashians. She probably saw a woman in Hello Kitty not long before she made the statement, thus it being fresh in her mind. She is not holding kill "Hello Kitty" press conferences or starting an organization to do so. So why are you sitting up saying she said this for publicity because you think she's not a great actress? It's the media that took this one statement and turned it into a quick post. It's folks like you who take it and run and make more out of it than what it really is.

December 19, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Syue

Boo's post doesn't make any sense. When did Sarah mention anything about CT's acting skills?

December 27, 2011 at 2:18 am | Report abuse |
  77. @ppl.

This wh*re creeps me out.

December 17, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Pokey

How may I ask do you know she is a WH&&&? I'm betting you don't know anything of the sort, you just hate women.

December 18, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  78. John J.

I have a pet peeve for actresses who are over thirty five years and older and think that they're still relevant in the movies.You've got your Oscar now go do what your character did to herself in The Devil's Advocate when you were relevant in Hollywood.

December 17, 2011 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
    • sara

JohnJ __you are really out of touch. Theron is a great actress with true talent. I'm wondering if you are one of the hello kitty wearers who can't take criticism. I mean, it's awful on adult woman–it's worse on adult men.

December 18, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • WatsonNCrick

Agree with John. She's sinking fast, and trying to create a story by voicing her opinion and wondering why the world doesn't follow is kind of silly. It's sad how far she's fallen.

December 18, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Booo

December 19, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • pm

Thanks Boo. She's not on an anti hello kitty campaign trail. She probably just witnessed a fashion faux pax right before the interview and was trying to joke about it. I hate shopping, but I do like people watching when I'm out. People can make fun of me all they want. I am who I am, I just think people are funny...and since the thought police took everyone's sense of humor away over the past 20 years or so, you can't even have fun with each other. I do stupid things all of the time. Oh well. At least I don't wear children's clothes.

December 23, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  79. x/x

Lol

December 17, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  80. Joe

I'm jerking off to her picture right now...

December 17, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
    • gwats

I think you have to use more than your thumb and forefinger to qualify as doing that, shorty!

December 17, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  81. CHANA BANANA

I HATE HELLO KITTY!! GOD STUPID CAT!

December 17, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  82. Shannon

My older sister loves Hello Kitty comforter sets,curtains,dishes,hubcaps etc.For Christmas it's all she ever asks for and she's just turned 32 in September

December 17, 2011 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  83. Meo

Really who gives a crap what CT says.

December 17, 2011 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
  84. RS

I'm a nearly 34 yr old female who severely dislikes Hello Kitty. I never understood what the deal was. To me, it seemed like crap. But that's just me. If you like it, that's you, but I will never wear it.EVER !

December 17, 2011 at 6:44 am | Report abuse |
  85. Shakey

She's an elitist South African,she think she"s superior to American women.

December 17, 2011 at 4:47 am | Report abuse |
  86. Sharon

And THIS woman's opinion is important because...? Hmmm, just as I thought...

December 17, 2011 at 2:49 am | Report abuse |
  87. stereogirl

I love Charlize Theron. I love Hello Kitty. I'm turning 30 next year. I don't think there's anything wrong with any of those three things and I don't see any reason they can't go hand in hand. What I wear doesn't reflect my maturity level. In fact, to me, it seems far more immature to judge someone based on something they enjoy – especially something as silly and meaningless as a cartoon cat. Lighten the heck up, people. There is a lot of darkness in the world. Why not take time out to enjoy something that makes you smile?

December 17, 2011 at 2:24 am | Report abuse |
    • John

Of course what you wear reflects your maturity level. Denial, denial, denial.

December 17, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Elisa Jordana

So @John, you must wear HUGE dild0s then?

December 18, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • breezin'

I'm nearly 30, but sometimes when I'm not a work I'll wear a T-shirt with a picture from "Where the Wild Things Are." I get complements about it all the time, and it elicits even more smiles. A little nostalgia never hurt anyone, but like all things it can be overdone. There's a big difference between an adult who has a Mickey Mouse sweatshirt or a Hello Kitty charm, versus someone who surrounds themselves with such icons to remain fully immersed in their childhood.

December 21, 2011 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
    • pm

Elisa Jordana...get the strap-on off your mind. Sounds like you need a real warm blooded man for a change.

December 23, 2011 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  88. Reeny

I'm 24 and I have a $ 6,4OO Hello Kitty necklace,and what?

December 17, 2011 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Sherron

If you spent that kind of money on a Hello Kitty necklace, you should have saved it for psychiatric help....

December 17, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Guest

Ill give you a pearl necklace for free
      Ill even buy you some cheeseburgers
      Maybe even DOUBLE cheeseburgers

December 18, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • wendy

What are you nut's or something, grow up already!

December 19, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
    • DD

You are stupid to spend that kind of money on a Hello Kitty necklace, but it is your money to spend too!

December 19, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • tomi

If you are in your 30's and still holding onto Hello Kitty shows nostalgia....and a desire to hold onto childhood...I believe our taste change and some stuff better leave it for your 5 year old niece or daughter.

December 27, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Ozzi

Hello Kitty and all the Disney characters on "grownups" reflect immature adults. They can't seem to let go of childhood.

December 16, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chuck

Yeah, you're right about that hanging on to childhood thing. It's way better to dwell incessantly on bashing everyone you can find to bully, constantly dwell on nothing but how much you hate everyone and everything, and be all "grownup". I'm not a person who has a single "Hello Kitty" item, but I would never make fun of anyone else who did. If the worst thinf someone does is wear a Hello Kitty t-shirt, what the heck is the problem, and who in the world is Charlize Theron to even bring it up? Isn't there a thing or 2 more important to discuss?

December 17, 2011 at 2:19 am | Report abuse |
    • sara

Even though I bashed John J for his stupid comment, I don't think wearing Hello Kitty reflects anything. Each person who wears it has their own reason. I would prefer to see woman over 30 wearing something more stylish but that's my opinion–and although relevant to me, not relevant to people over 30 who like Hello Kitty.

December 18, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kam

I am 29, getting my Ph.D. and handle my own life. I have a Hello Kitty Ipod cover. No I am not immature. It reminds me of my childhood, just like the Muppets which many adults are a fan of. Bought it with my own money. If Ms. Theron doesn't like she is welcome to buy me a new Ipod case that will not offend her eye.

December 19, 2011 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Booo

You're on to something, Ozzi. Bill Maher once talked about how we're raising a nation of weak children because the grown ups are the ones lining up at midnight for the Harry Potter books and movies (I love that franchise by the way) and coffee has become a milkshake-type concoction at Starbucks (I also love Frappacinos – sp?) . I will say that the children of this nation certainly are weak. I could take public transportation by myself and be trusted to go to the store and buy household necessities by the time I was 10. Today's kids get lost walking to their own mailbox!

December 19, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • DD

Yeah...because you are such an adult yourself!!!

December 19, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • dionysius john

LOL @ Chuck:
      "Isn't there a thing or 2 more important to discuss?"
      You wouldn't be suggesting being "all grown up" would you?
      WAJ!

December 19, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zippy

If maturity means you have to worry constantly about what other people think of your clothes, I think I'll just continue being immature enough to wear whatever I feel like wearing.

December 26, 2011 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  90. @MOKOGO

Were grown ups!

December 16, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  91. MOKOGO

I adore Hello Kitty and will rock it as long as I like. Who are you to judge me or my taste in clothing?

December 16, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • shawn

right on! how insulting of her! to each their own. I was a fan but being as she has just insulted my wife and friends... No longer a fan of Charlize

December 18, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dionysius

When you are out, anywhere, people judge you and they are within THEIR rights to do so. If you insist on DRESSING like a 10 year old, they are liable to SEE you as one, and snicker up their sleeves accordingly. If you don't want to be judged, stay home... this is how it is in the adult world. This goes for the idiots w/ nose, cheek, and tongue piercings, purple hair, men in their 30's wearing "Me(n)tal Mullisha" T's, and 40 something women in miniskirts.... grow up already!

December 19, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • gtodt

Don't like it? Cool, I don't wake up every day to impress YOU.

December 19, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mom of Three

I know, right? Who died and made her the be-all and end-all? She's a SHOW PERSON, for crying out loud. Those people have zero judgment to begin with, and she's going to tell me that I can't like Hello Kitty at 45??? Oh, and my 37 yo neighbor across the street just put a Hello Kitty sticker on the back window of her new car. So there. You'd think there'd be more lofty things she could opine upon, but then again, maybe not.

December 20, 2011 at 2:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Barbra

....or cats

December 20, 2011 at 3:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Buzz Mann

@Mom of Three...Sounds like the whole trailer park is into Hello Kitty.

December 20, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe Rioux

Yes, keep wearing Hello Kitty.

You have every right to advertise yourself as emotionally-retarded and deathly afraid of growing old. In fact, you have an obligation; it is important that guys can see–at a glance, without having to date you–how screwed up you are.

Keep rocking Hello Kitty!

December 22, 2011 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  92. T.rex

Hello Kitty? More like, "goodbye Kitty". am i right?

December 16, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  93. mistletoe

Charlize is too classy of a lady for that "Hello Kitty" crap!

December 16, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • janelane

if you mean that expensive things are classy, okay then. she cusses like a sailor or any broad out of a trailer park. the only thing different about her is her expensive clothing.

December 20, 2011 at 4:19 am | Report abuse |
  94. Guest

As a 30 something Simpsons fan I wont judge
    As far as someone judging me for that,I was 10 when Bart Simpson was first 10.I was also 15 when Beavis and Butthead were first 15.

December 16, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • nancheska

Never liked Bart all that much, but loved B & B! I can understand someone wearing a Courage the Cowardly Dog shirt, but Scooby? Sorry....too mush-wad for me, like Laura Ashley dresses with them tiny flowers.

December 20, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Lewis

Katy Perry is going to beat you up.

December 16, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • nancheska

Doubt it. I weigh a lot more 'n she does, I have a black belt in taekwondo, and I wear black unapologetically. Hello Kitty stuff looked great on my 9 y/o daughter, but should be avoided by anyone who ain't young, innocent and cute.

December 20, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ted Striker

Weight doesn't mean anything and you could have bought your black belt. If you had said you knew some Muay Thai and Jiu Jitsu then I'd know you were down.

December 26, 2011 at 3:35 am | Report abuse |
  96. Shannon

I used to love Hello Kitty when I was in 3rd grade. As a 42 year old, I'm not into it.

December 16, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pokey

I love Hello Kitty and I'm 45 years old. I can be a fan without buying or wearing anything with Hello Kitty on it. Women in their 30's know they are too old for cartoon characters on their clothing.

December 18, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zippy

You know what? A t shirt's a t shirt. It's not "inappropriate" just because it has a cute cat on it. If I choose to buy something that's not revealing and wear it, it's my right whether I'm 5 or 50. Rather than being "immature" for wearing a t shirt with a cartoon on it, I'd worry more about the "maturity" of judging people by the kinds of t shirts they wear. As a woman, you can't win. Either you're "dowdy" or "trying to be a teenager." Get over it people, and judge folks by their behavior and their hearts rather than their clothes...or is that too deep for you?

December 26, 2011 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  97. jenna talia

Im sorry. Those arrows are way dangerous. Was it a pygmys arrow? They have poison on em sometimes.

December 16, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Adventurer

I used to collect Hello Kitty merchandise, but then i took an arrow in the knee..

December 16, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  99. stimey

LoJenk is the essence of putresence. An embicilic tuurd knocker.

December 16, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  100. mJenk

Thank goodness that complete and total tard LoJenk hasnt ruined this blog yet. LoJenks videos are the most boring cruddy things of all time. LoJenk must be a complete tard.

December 16, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ mJenk

Tracie is LoJenk's "gf."

December 16, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • janelane

she must hate gwen stefani or any other woman who supposedly doesn't act her age, whatever that means. it's enough we have men telling us how we should act and look. but, charlize is from a place used to oppressing people (south africa) so i'm not surprised.

December 20, 2011 at 4:24 am | Report abuse |
  101. Booo

I'm in my late 20s. I never understood the Hello Kitty thing either.

December 16, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Dior is for Wh0res

December 17, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • janelane

thank you, joe. she just wants to shame women into buying the expensive crap she's peddling (dior).

December 20, 2011 at 4:15 am | Report abuse |
    • macphail

Hardly, janelane. More likely that she wants women to act and dress their appropriate age.

Stop being a cynical cow.

December 20, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
    • daria

janelane is right on – really macphail? Namecalling? Grow the eff up jerk.

December 20, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • wise up people

I will do anything she says to look more like her.

December 21, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leda

@McPhail, you are right! 30 year old women need to dress and act like women, not teens. Hello Kitty is not acceptable for anyone old enough to drink...otherwise you are "developmentally stunted" and need help.

December 22, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • SKyle

I am a 35 year old male. I have a Hello Kitty toaster that leaves her visage on the toast. Am I a loser?

December 24, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
    • HistoryGeek

@SKyle ... just don't wear your toaster walking down the street and you're good...lol

December 25, 2011 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
    • jp

As an adult woman and mother, I think have earned the right to wear whatever the hell I want, whether this oh-so-perfect princess likes it or not.

December 27, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
    • gremlinus

That's the great thing about being a woman. You can wear hello kitty AND you can wear a $1000 dress (if you can afford it.) Who give a #&*( what I wear when I go grocery shopping or around a mall? Okay, 5 star restaurant maybe not, but there is nothing wrong with a cute t-shirt.

December 28, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • kompir

@SKyle I WANT THAT TOASTER WHERE DID YOU GET IT? :)

December 29, 2011 at 3:43 am | Report abuse |
    • tensor

Even my 9-year-old won't go near Hello Kitty anymore. It really is a little, little girl thing.
      The toaster can be found – where else – on Amazon.

December 31, 2011 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
    • UaintWise

If you're 30 and still have a thing for "Hello Kitty"... the only message you are sending to men is that you want to be surrounded by a bunch of cats.

Enjoy.

December 31, 2011 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
    • monolith

Perhaps next we'll see some Hello Kitty for the Plan-B pills?

January 2, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • dk

+1 Hello Kitty.. isn't this comment coming from a fouled mouth actress? she sounds really stupid for opening her mouth. Her lack of respect to other people as an American actress is of poor taste. I'm a middle-aged man and I respect a woman's taste in fashion by not saying anything if it's not nice.

January 2, 2012 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • mac

i always thought it to be a lame parrallel to her "kitty".. for real, pay attention to who actually wears that stuff , lol

January 4, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • MaryM

Since when does anyone care what anyone else wears, nor why they do it? Really? This all sounds to me like a convenient opportunity to cut down someone else, and it wouldn't much matter what the subject was. Really too schoolyard.

January 9, 2012 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |