Ben Flajnik hopes to keep it real on 'The Bachelor'
December 15th, 2011

Ben Flajnik hopes to keep it real on 'The Bachelor'

The last time viewers saw Ben Flajnik, he was feeling the sting of Ashley Hebert turning down his proposal on this summer's edition of "The Bachelorette."

But Flajnik overcame the rejection, returning to California to work on his winery, hang out with friends and family, and even spend time with actress Jennifer Love Hewitt.

Now, Flajnik is stepping back into the spotlight, this time as the newest "Bachelor."  The 16th season of the ABC series, premiering January 2, features 25 women competing for Flajnik's hand in marriage.

"When I got home from taping 'The Bachelorette,'" I threw myself back into work, friends and family," Flajnik said. "When I got the call asking me to be the next 'Bachelor,' I thought about it long and hard before I agreed to do it."

Flajnik completed production on the show last month, and can't reveal what happens when all is said and done. But he did say he's pleased with how things turned out.

"I'm happy with my decision [to do] the show. It was a therapeutic adventure," he said. "I have no regrets with anything I did, and I believe all of my decisions were well thought out."

Flajnik also praised the show's producers for this year's contestant pool, saying he wanted "The Bachelor" to seek professional, working women who are "experienced" and "worldly" for his tastes.

"It's important for me to be with someone who's well-rounded, cultured and flexible," Flajnik noted. "No two days are the same for me in the wine industry, and I hope my partner can accept that."

Flajnik also took a jab at critics who say he's using the "Bachelor" franchise to boost his business, Evolve Winery.  "I really try to differentiate between business and show-related things, as I do take my business seriously."

As for his time with Jennifer Love Hewitt, Flajnik would prefer to take the high road.

"She reached out to me and wanted to visit the winery with friends. We went out to dinner and chatted about life and experience. She was a nice girl, but I couldn't imagine being with a Hollywood celebrity."

1. RamblinRosie

Is it just me, or does Ben remind anyone else of the Geico cavemen? Our household members are loyal Bachelor/BEtte watchers, but even our obviously low standards are getting strained by this franchise's refusal to cast anything other than white bread, boring people recycled from prior seasons. This is the best you can do?

December 19, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Monrob

Just like the Miami Housewife, Cristy. Keeping it real. oh brother.

December 16, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Anita

Why would anyone choose to be a participant on this show?! Every single participant on these shows pander themselves for publicity or to do something they wouldn't ordinarily get to do (live a glamorous life temporarily)...it's that plain and simple. They aren't looking for "true love", if they were they wouldn't be willing to COMPETE with so many other men or women. I honestly cannot believe people waste an hour of their lives each week on these shows...I won't, and never will.

December 16, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  4. swohio

I used to be hooked on this show (including Bachelorette), until I woke up and really thought about what is going on. Aside from knowing that very few of the couples have actually made it long-term as a result of being on the show, I personally would NOT want to be part of a group of guys from among whom a lady needed to choose in order to pare us down into a final 6, then final 5, then final 4, etc...all the way down to the final 2 – and yet still be competing with another guy for the love and affection of that woman (or man, as it pertains to the Bachelor). If I'm dating a woman, I want to be exclusive. (Call me selfish...??) If she can't know beyond a shadow of a doubt that she wants me and me alone, then I don't want her in return....and thus I would walk away. I just can't see anyone doing that to themselves. Ben, to me anyway, appeared to be heartbroken at the end of Ashley's season, and in the same manner you could see Chris Lampton was hurt when Ali turned him down in favor of Roberto in her season. Did Ben and Chris get over those ladies THAT quickly? I'd be devastated for quite a long time if I knew I was in love with a woman who then turned me down in favor of another guy. I just don't get it, and I don't respect the show...and thus I won't be watching anymore.

December 16, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  5. Andreea

Hello James Dinan! I hope you are back to writing about the bachelor series!! It wouldn't be the same watching the 'Bachelor' series without your witty comments! I hope you will get to do it, and Happy Holidays to you and family.

December 16, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  6. Merry Christmas everyone!

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrNcD34KFhM&w=640&h=390]

December 16, 2011 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  7. caroline

why is this show still on?..When are the reality going off the air?...I wish they would bring back some good entertainment...Enough already with ALL the realtiy crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 16, 2011 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  8. tim sam

Ben Flajnik Cream Dreams http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr5-bJs2TU0

December 16, 2011 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  9. TIa

I THINK HE IS A REALLY sweet guy from the last show? Hope he finds a good match for him and even if they brake up that it remains respectful and not like the train wreck that was horse face vienna and that pilot guy. Good luck to the wine maker. Btw been to Napa many times as we live pretty close. The elite are pretty snooty but a great place to visit for any occasion at all. The commoners are lovely people and don't forget to drink lots and lots of wine...lol. Why else would you go there right?

December 16, 2011 at 4:02 am | Report abuse |
  10. BIG E

Man come on people he seems like a REAL good person i hope he has a great life with who ever he picked

December 16, 2011 at 2:44 am | Report abuse |
  11. knobby

Downloading here.

December 16, 2011 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
  12. Bobaroo

Can someone please edit these monsters who come on here. Excuse me now, gotta go poopoo.

December 16, 2011 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |
  13. Loose Endz

Smellsky: Have you eaten corn lately?

December 16, 2011 at 1:59 am | Report abuse |
  14. Smellsky

Tracie,

Call me immeidately. I can do yoga and a deep downward dog.

December 16, 2011 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
  15. funny

these comments r too entertaining haha

December 16, 2011 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
  16. marquese

I honestly think the bachelor is so stupid

December 15, 2011 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Barbara

CNN are you serious! You actually screened the comments prior to posting. Someone just lost a job! Hey CNN is hiring !

December 15, 2011 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  18. bamamom

What is up with the last comment – how gross!!!

December 15, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  19. tyler

You are a pig, what I would imagine a fat pig. Jenny Craig, Lady...

December 15, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  20. @Ben Flajnik

Dude, it's Jennifer Love Hewitt for Christ's sake. You can't see yourself with a celebrity yet you'll expose yourself to the idiocy that is a reality show. Moron!

December 15, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  21. moon627

Firsty ! This guy is a good catch – not only good looking but he owns a winery in Napa which should make any girl happy. Its beautiful there and the weather is perfect. :)

December 15, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |