Amber Heard: Being out in Hollywood takes bravery
December 15th, 2011

Amber Heard: Being out in Hollywood takes bravery

Former “Playboy Club” star Amber Heard says in the December issue of Women’s Health that she never thought of attempting to hide her true self from the public, including potential employers in the entertainment industry.

“You can’t respect yourself if you’re afraid to be who you are,” says the “Rum Diary” actress, 25.  “It requires bravery to do something no one else around you is doing. But the risk was outweighed by the possibility of playing into this horribly detrimental lie that some in Hollywood perpetuate.”

Heard, who stepped out with girlfriend Tasya van Ree at a recent GLAAD event, spoke to AfterEllen.com about her decision: "I think when I became aware of my role in the media, I had to ask myself an important question; 'Am I part of the problem?'"

"I personally think that if you deny something or if you hide something you're inadvertently admitting it's wrong,” the actress added. “I don't feel like I'm wrong."

In February, Heard spoke about her sexuality to U.K. paper the Metro, saying, "I don't label myself one way or another – I have had successful relationships with men and now a woman. I love who I love; it's the person that matters."

1. wwaish

Bold putting it out there and saying take it or leave it. while good for her on a personal level as a career move the result is unknown

December 18, 2011 at 5:12 am | Report abuse |
  2. Merry Christmas everyone!

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrNcD34KFhM&w=640&h=390]

December 16, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  3. TEBOW

Man. could I TEBOW her!!!!!

December 16, 2011 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  4. Rachel

This world, as we have known it for centuries, is clearly on its last leg. Dysfunction and perversion at its core, right here.

I suppose the devil has to continue to exist in this world, so this is how it happens. On Judgement Day, these people will never make it through the pearly gates.

December 16, 2011 at 7:48 am | Report abuse |
  5. Mr. E

If she is gay then I wasted a few loads for nothing.

December 16, 2011 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  6. Vanessa

Angelina is not gay, she is nutz.

December 15, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rock

Just because the woman had a vial of blood necklace, it doesn't mean she's nutz. Ok, maybe it does.

December 15, 2011 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. couleecactus

At least she's a damn fine-looking lesbian. Rosie O'Donnell and Ellen Degenerate are mutts!

December 15, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Playjojo

Funny, when it's a gay guy, or the woman is unattractive, the comments couldn't be ruder. Men are so insecure. Of course, there are some piggish woman out there when it comes to the unattractive women.

December 15, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Don

"It's always better when lesbians go lipstick rather than lumberjack."
      - Charlie Sheen

December 15, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. DeeNYC

jeez another dumb blonde making stupid statements. Being out in Hollywood being called brave is like calling OWS hippies heros.

December 15, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Saturn830

With all do respect to the lovely and talented Ms. Heard there's nothing particularly brave about being openly gay in 2011, especially not in Hollywood. Same with being an atheist.

December 15, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Eddie O.

What? Lesbians in Hollywood? Holy Breaking News Batman... Call TMZ... Call ET... bla bla bla. Will it be in vogue in 2012?

December 15, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. tyler

Angelina (Angie) also made out with her brother... she's not much to use as a guide or example really.

December 15, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  13. statcat

At least she isn't in a fauxmance like the rest of the Hollywood gays.

December 15, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. lojenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk3yTXFkyiY&w=640&h=390]

December 15, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Rock

She's so brave that she had to remind us 10 months later that in February she outed herself. Outing yourself these days is like actresses that have seen their best days behind them pose for Playboy. It's for the publicity. Now, you can live as you want and people can talk about you or not. So what! But if you announce you are out, then it's just self promotion. The only question: Is she Rosie gay or Anne Heche gay? Permanent or temporary.

December 15, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Shannon

Can spmeone please make a love story starring Angelina Jolie and Amber Heard? I would give my right arm for that one! 2 of the hottest women on the planet!

December 15, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  17. deanna stubbs

U go girl! I feel the same way love has no color, race, n luv who ever u want! I luv men n women!!! Who cares what the world thinks! Girl live ur life with a open heart!!! Many blessings.

December 15, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Film_Shark

Women are salivating over the news.

December 15, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  19. @GossipGal

Dont u ever have anything nice to say about anyone? Regarless of a celeb in the article or a blogger? It doesn't matter what name u go under, one can always tell who u are. Enough with the hate lady.

December 15, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Tony Dijamco

It does take courage to come out, to be who you are, and not hide behind a false name...MadCityBabe.

December 15, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  21. kingharoldbbluetooth

Yawn.... Hmm.... Trying to think of a snappy comment... Guess I just don't care.....

December 15, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Casual

Oh come on!! If one is a llesbian, they are gay....she said herself she has had relationships with men too....so which is it? Most gay people who are so proud...say it out loud and live it. Sorry, but, I think this one is a trendy lesbian. I bet we see her with a man soon.
    Ya had me at first, Ellen you ain't...more Ellen's ex...the other fake trendy lesbian.

December 15, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Dannielle

lmao at the comment about "gay for attention". You definitely have Hollywood "lesbians" figured out. She's as gay as Angelina Jolie. Oh yea, remember that? Like 15 yrs ago when she supposedly dated a girl? Yeah, didn't think so.

December 15, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  24. DaveDiego

I just told my wife and a coworker they said, "Who?"

December 15, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  25. ccbsecu

so...what if firemen and policemen came "out"...then they are uber Brave!

December 15, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  26. minigirl

Is it just me or is Hollywood wacked to say its brave...they shove gays in every show i love then call it brave to come out in real life? i dont mind gays but for real who cares anymore? its so part of everyday life that to me even in a small town in the south east part of the U.S. im not shocked or dismayed really dont give a snit anymore whos gay or not anymore than thay care if im straight married and poor as snit.

December 15, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  27. JackFids

Amber just made a "Lickety-Split" decision that left some people flaccid, I see no reason to treat her stiffly or hard, I think she has the situation well in hand .

December 15, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  28. heard much

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq7mye984rU&w=640&h=390]

December 15, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  29. VegasGirl

Congrats, Amber – here's your medal!

December 15, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  30. MadCityBabe

To Derp...............let's say for second you had a job.......................and that job entailed putting your life at risk everyday for smucks like you .....I would say that policemen are brave sweetheart........now go back to your X box, hand lotion and kleenex!

December 15, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yvette

Awesome!!!

December 15, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cookie

@MadCity- uhhh there's different ways to be "brave" and not just by putting your life on the line. As a FEMALE firefighter myself I can say good for her. Anything that puts you in the line of fire, physically or metaphorically should be commended. I'm sorry but whether its the 1950s or 2011 you still run the risk of danger by coming out.

Real bravery is admitting who you are despite others trying to keep it closeted.

Bravery has several definitions but close-mindedness does not.

December 15, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob t builder

Hate to break it to you, but you take a risk every day you step out of the door, regardless of your profession. And a good chunk of the pigs out there are just doughnut munching speed trap operators that do nothing that actually makes a difference. I'll be fair though, there are good cops out there. It's just that 99.999999999% of them give the rest a bad name.

December 15, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Hey what's wrong with Xbox, lotion and kleenex. I'm a gamer with dry hands and a runny nose. LOL.....funny how far off base these comments end up getting.

December 16, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  31. JL

I am sure none of this is pretend gayness for attention. I am sure her next relationship won't be with a man.

December 15, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  32. GossipGal

Oh Amber, you are sooo brave to walk out in Hollywood with your perfect body and face... I am just not sure how you do it.. Your AMAZING!!!!
    ** Eye Roll** Get you head out of your a$$

December 15, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  33. erich2112xe

I'm lactose intolerant.

December 15, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  34. Greg

I think I speak for most men when I say.....Can I Watch?

Seriously though, Ms. Heard....coming out to a bunch of like minded Hollywood Types is not exactly "bravery".

December 15, 2011 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  35. MadCityBabe

My dear.......firefighters are brave....policemen are brave.....soldiers are brave.............you simply came out!

December 15, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Tim

It's bravery due to the potential of not working in Hollywood for being openly gay, moron!

December 15, 2011 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • derp

.policemen are brave..

Yeah, the donut munchers are really the heroes around here.

December 15, 2011 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • MadCityBabe

To Tim – what I'm stating is that to use the word "brave" simply because you came out and are worried about the next paycheck is ridiculous! You're not brave, you're simply being honest with who you are.

you dooooosh!

December 15, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marie

I couldn't agree more although I don't care for policemen or firemen but bravery for coming out it isn't!

December 15, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • JL

Marie, who the eff doesn't care for firemen? You sound obnoxious.

December 15, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Casual

UUummm, it's not brave when you are not a real deal gay person. Sorry, but, this one is not gay woman. I bet she has a man on the side. 'I love who I love' yeah......and it just so happens to be a woman right now. Not brave, just confused clearly.

December 15, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • inga

It really would be brave if you were a policeman or a fireman and you came out.

December 15, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Facerippermonkey

Firefighters and policeman are not brave and their not heroes. They are employees getting paid. I'm so tired of people saying that.

December 15, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  36. bob

Amber u are so brave amazing talent and u should be horse playing at Penn St

December 15, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • lynne

While I have no disagreements with Ms. Heard or her lifestyle....

It would have been BRAVE if this were the 1970s or 80s and you come out as a gay public figure. Today, it's barely news enough to qualify for an internet blog. So again, while I otherwise basically agree with her sentiments, this is not enough to qualify bravery for me.

December 15, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  37. derp

That is one smokin' fish muncher. I'd be happy just watching and rubbin' one out.

December 15, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  38. Lewis

Half of Hollywood is gay. Bravery?

December 15, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
    • D Palmer

Seriously. In 1950 it took bravery, in 2011 nobody cares. Now if she came out as a conservative Republican, THAT would be courageous.

December 15, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thom

Half of hollywood is gay but most are still in the closet. I think it is brave for these people to come out.

December 15, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

Exactly
      Id bet coming out in Georgia or Alabama is way tougher
      Dirty south

December 15, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stuart

Not true

December 15, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Ben Roethlisberger

Does she have room in there for a Big Ben?

December 15, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |