Tom Cruise takes the stage in 'Rock of Ages' trailer
December 14th, 2011

Tom Cruise takes the stage in 'Rock of Ages' trailer

Tom Cruise is ready to rock out with his...shirt off, if the trailer for summer song-and-dance movie "Rock of Ages" is any indication.

The 49-year-old actor stars in Adam Shankman's adaptation of the Broadway musical as the tattooed, ripped rocker Stacee Jaxx. The story's set in 1987 at  L.A. club the Bourbon Room, owned by Dennis Dupree (a blond Alec Baldwin) and managed by Lonnie (Russell Brand).

According to the clip, the Bourbon Room's "whole existence is riding on" Jaxx, and it catches heat from Catherine Zeta Jones' skirt-suit-wearing Patricia Whitmore, a woman who tries to put a stop to Jaxx and the club by singing Twisted Sister's "We're Not Gonna Take It."

"Rock of Ages" also stars Julianne Hough as aspiring star Sherrie, who falls in love with Drew (Diego Boneta) before catching the eye of Jaxx. (The disrobed blonde toward the end of the trailer isn't Hough, but Malin Akerman, who plays Constance Sack.)

The movie opens June 1 - think you'll go see it?

Filed under: Celebrities • Tom Cruise

1. j-son

A) The cast is TWICE the age of the people who lived that lifestyle in the 80s
    B) The music comes across like a Glee episode, which is just absolutely awful, like high school show choir.
    C) Cringe-inducing in every respect...

December 21, 2011 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  2. Luckygrrlz86

Would a 49 year old ever been able to hit the stage as a frontman in circa 1986ish Hollywood? Nah. This cast is far too old to play the roles. Back then the guys (and girls) were in their late teens to early twenties and smokin' hot.

December 20, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  3. Anita

This movie just holds NO appeal for me at all and I LOVE 80's music. First off... Julianne Hough CANNOT ACT, I wish she'd just stick to dancing. Cruise can be ok in movies, I thought he was actually pretty fun in Night & Day and did really well in Vanilla Sky etc, but I don't see people flocking to this flick just to see if he can rock out...I really don't.

December 19, 2011 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  4. jebb

cruise sux!
    he is g a y!
    i know a guy who sucked cruise off in vancouver several months ago when they were filming here

December 19, 2011 at 2:34 am | Report abuse |
  5. MGrant

A completely lame-*ss rip off of "The is Spinal Tap"...sh'yeah nice try guys...NOT!

December 18, 2011 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  6. MGrant

The music sucks.
    The comedy sucks.
    This film is a loser...

December 18, 2011 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  7. MGrant

Oh, please no!!!
    Tom Cruise is no rocker!!!
    He looks like a fool with long hair...and he couldn't find
    rhythm in a paper sack!

December 18, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  8. smorbrod

I remember everyone ripping on Tom Cruise when he was announced for Interview With a Vampire and I think many agree he did quite well as Lestat. I may not be a fan of his religion or his precociousness but the guy has proven he is a darn good actor over the years and can play almost any role. My girls have been listening to the soundtrack for the last year and love it and I am looking forward to this as it is music I grew up with at their age. Anyone expecting West Side Story is fooling themselves but rocking out and taking the satire for what it is worth, maybe this thing will actually be good.

December 17, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  9. DillyRat

I hope this is a joke because it looks like one...

December 17, 2011 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
  10. D francis

youve got to be kidding me. Theres 3 minutes i'll never get back

December 17, 2011 at 5:46 am | Report abuse |
  11. Mike

Cruise is one of my favourite actors with movies like The Firm, Top Gun, A Few Good Men, Days of Thunder, Samurai, Born on the Fourth of July. But, he has this other side to him (which we don't see all that often) that gets attached to dreck like Interview With The Vampire, Eyes Wide Shut, Magnolia, and his cameo stint as Les Grossman. Unsure where this latest flick is going to stand. The trailer is pretty poor, and maybe it doesn't give a very good representation of the movie? But, on the face of what we see here, it doesn't look like something I want to invest any big bucks in at the movies. Even if the reviews turn out to be okay, I think I'll wait for this one to hit the rental market.

December 17, 2011 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  12. gina

i'm on line already waiting for him already

December 16, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Merry Christmas everyone!

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrNcD34KFhM&w=640&h=390]

December 16, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  14. Jason

I don't like musicals but this one is my era of music. I suspect I will leave the theatre and think..."it was alright" but probably wont highly recommend. Could be a fun bit of time to kill a couple of hours with. Besides, doesn't look any worse than anything else coming out. I will give it a go.

December 16, 2011 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  15. Ro

Well .. THERE's a movie i wouldnt walk across the street to see... Give it up Cruise, your not important anymore

December 16, 2011 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  16. Michel

What's not to love about rock music and weird characters.

December 15, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  17. John

All this hateful noise about Tom Cruise. It's weird to me how people can so despise another person whom they've never even met. It's like seeing people at the zoo where they're standing in front of the polar bear exhibit and shouting, "I hate polar bears!" and "Get rid of them, they're gay!" What is it with you people who hate strangers that have never done anything to you? Do you also hate the mailman and the kid bagging your groceries at the supermarket, too? Why do you get your kicks being so cruel? Why are you all so miserable and hateful?

December 15, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Janine

I'm intrigued because I can't quite wrap my head around a ripped, tatted up Tom Cruise with longer hair than me! Five dollar Brew&View here I come..

December 15, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Shawne

I saw the previews and Tom Cruise look so fake HELLO there is someone who already plays the role on broadway who looks the part. plus his acting is crappy in the previews doesnt even make me want to go see it. There were so many more men in the acting business that could do this part so much more. He just ruins it.

December 15, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Feelin Old

One of the greatest times of my life growing up, with some of the best music, has turned into a musical and a musical movie. God I feel old...

December 15, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Eddie O.

S I C K of Tom Cruise.

December 15, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Carrie

Wow, this looks like the worst movie musical since "Absolute Beginners."

December 14, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  23. wayleene

I saw this movie last weekend. IT STUNK. Best to wait until the dvd comes out. It is just a remake of Eddie and the Cruisers using all g@y actors.

December 14, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  24. michelle

It sounds like a juuuuish movie to me. One about mormons.

December 14, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  25. MadCityBabe

I'm rather intrigued....may have to check it out

December 14, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  26. who is

"he" josie?

December 14, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  27. tracie

SIT ON MY FACE FAT BLACK WOMAN!

December 14, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  28. lol

@sc um talk. I'm not who u think I am. Yer comments are not funny. 'He' does not seem to post no more. Sheesh

December 14, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  29. ProperVillain

The stage play was AWESOME! However, this looks like a terrible interpretation of the play. It looks as if they took something fun and edgy and watered it down by trying to turn it into a rock and roll Footloose. Terrible. I even like the cast and casting choice of Cruise as Jaxx but this just looks awful...

December 14, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |