The top 10 most-rented Netflix movies
December 14th, 2011

The top 10 most-rented Netflix movies

The Hollywood Reporter has revealed the top 10 most-rented Netflix movies of all time, and the No. 1 film may come as a surprise.

But first, coming in at No. 10 is the Coen brothers' 2007 adaptation of Cormac McCarthy’s Western thriller, “No Country for Old Men." Next up, Robert Downey Jr.’s turn as a superhero in the 2008 blockbuster “Iron Man.”

Number eight is last year’s mind-bending sci-fi action flick, “Inception.” Then we have RDJ again with the action-y “Sherlock Holmes” (2009), and coming in at No. 6 is the 2006 Leo DiCaprio/Scorsese crime thriller “The Departed.”

Now for the top five: 2009 Iraq war drama “The Hurt Locker” is the fifth most-rented Netflix title, and deservedly so; it won six Oscars. Above that we have Brad Pitt aging backwards in the 2008 film “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.” The third most popular flick is 2007 oldster comedy-drama “The Bucket List.”

The oldest film on the list, 2004’s Oscar-winning drama “Crash,” comes in at No. 2.

And the most popular Netflix rental of all time is … “The Blind Side”! The feel-good football/adoption tale is at the top of everyone’s queue. Sandra Bullock won an Oscar for her role in the 2009 movie.

How many of the top 10 have you seen?

1. top 10 lists| Top 10 list| Top ten| Top ten list

Simply desire to say your article is as astounding. The clearness in your submit is simply nice and i can assume you are knowledgeable in this subject. Fine along with your permission allow me to grab your feed to keep up to date with drawing close post. Thanks a million and please carry on the enjoyable work.

July 7, 2012 at 5:44 am | Report abuse |
  2. Netflix premium accoutns generator|Netflix premiums| Free Netflix Accounts| Free Netflix premium accounts generator| Free Netflix premium accounts

Normally I don't learn article on blogs, but I wish to say that this write-up very forced me to take a look at and do so! Your writing style has been amazed me. Thanks, very great post.

June 13, 2012 at 2:09 am | Report abuse |
  3. Annia

I checked out an older movie of Skeet Ulridge called NOBODY'S BABY and it was a hoot. I laughed & cried throughout the movie. The talented casts including Gary Oldman, Mary Steenburgen, Anna Gunn, Raddha Mitchell, and a few more I can't remember their names, made this movie a treasure. I recommended to friends & coworkers and they all loved this movie. Check it out, but I don't think Net Flix has it.

January 12, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  4. emma

I have only seen 'The Departed', the only Scorsese gangster film I could stand; likely because he himself said it was "plot-based and not character-based". Since his characters are generally violent thugs, I was hard to get into them.

January 9, 2012 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
    • emma

Sorry, the last line should have been "it was hard to get into them". Yipes, talk about a Freudian slip. Oh well, it did have a great male cast, LOL.

January 9, 2012 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  5. Screen Rental Miami

AV Trends- Sales and Rental of Audio Visual Equipment to the Corporate Meeting, Event and Hotel Industries.We have cost effective solutions at the best prices Guaranteed.We can deliver results within your budget in one hour in the Miami area 2 hour with in the tri-county area.We are open 365/24/7 For rental,sales and service.Call now at 786-426-0062.

January 5, 2012 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. View CNN News twice a day

Only saw the Hurt Locker.
    Don't viewers watch movies that deal with reality, and have characters that use logic, any more.
    In five years all of these listed films will be more forgotten than Academy Award Winers of the 1950's.

January 4, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Bribarian

these movies were horrible

January 1, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Blayd

This list does not show how many were only partially watched and then shut off because they were so boring you had to go buy more booze to try and forget them.

January 1, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Hot Cup

Sandra Bullock in the top two.....no surprise, both are really good movies...she is such a sweetheart. Both of Leo's movies are good. Brad's was crap. Robert Downey Jr's Iron Man good, Sherlock was just OK. Bucket list was OK, not great. Hurt Locker really good, No Counry for Old men was slow, boring and crappy.

December 30, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  10. mudo labudovski

haha @ asklepios

thanks for the heads up...i'm glad my time will not be wasted on such shenanigans.

December 29, 2011 at 2:40 am | Report abuse |
  11. Asklepios

The Blind Side ?

Don't waste your time on any movie that includes a scene of Sandra Bullock driving her fancy car into an inner city neighborhood and intimidating a drug gang by telling them she belongs to the NRA and has a gun at home.

Suspension of disbelief is one thing. Falling headfirst into Credibility Gap is another.

December 24, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • mandiemarie

I'm pretty sure she was implying that she was packing a weapon in her purse in that scene....

December 31, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Duck of Death

I wonder about TV series(es) lol...Like Lost, Californication, Sons of Anarchy..I wonder how they all rate in order.

December 22, 2011 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  13. bugzlife

mejazzbo – it's the most rented of all time, not best of all time. Cool screen name.

December 21, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  14. travhops

I have seen all of them. My favorites were Benjamin Button and The Bucket List.

December 19, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  15. San Jose

Yummy... Leo on the list twice! :p

December 14, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  16. moon627

i HATED “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
    Its gotta be one of the worst movies ever made !
    Brad stunk and the sepia tone throughout the film was horrible :(

December 14, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  17. jimbo

sheeew tracie. that would make the jelly all yucky.

December 14, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  18. tracie

OH GOD PLEASE SOMEONE SHOVE IT UP MY BUTT ALREADY! IF SOMEONE DOESN'T SHOVE IT UP MY BUTT I AM GOING TO DOO DOO IN THIS JAR OF GRAPE JELLY!

December 14, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fladabosco

Please, Mr. Santorum, you have to keep your private life out of the public eye...

January 5, 2012 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  19. mejazzbo

I've seen all except for "The Bucket List". All are fine choices but for me to say they are the best films of all time would be a stretch. For me "Benjamin Button" rates on top of the films listed, but always makes me cry. "Sherlock Holmes", #2. #3, a tie between "The Hurt Locker" and "No Country for Old Men".

December 14, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  20. jessica

I didnt really love any of them. Its still The Walking Dead reruns and horror type movies for me. The Crazies wasnt too bad. Also 30 Days of Night.

December 14, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  21. Purple Elf

I haven't watched "Ironman" or "Sherolock Holmes". The others were pretty good. I loved "Benjamin Button".

December 14, 2011 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |