Doris Day dishes on her leading men
December 14th, 2011

Doris Day dishes on her leading men

Star of yesteryear Doris Day is back in the spotlight with a new album, “My Heart.” The legendary singer and actress spoke to Parade about her voice - and her many iconic co-stars.

“My Heart” was released in September, and its debut at No. 9 in the U.K. made Day the oldest female artist to ever have had a top ten album on the U.K. charts.

Despite the new album (her first since 1967’s “The Love Album"), the 87-year-old says she can’t sing at the moment.

“I could still sing until I got bronchitis,” Day explains. “I had a very, very bad attack a couple of years ago; I thought I would never get over it. That's why I sound different. But sometimes I sing along with something, and I think, ‘That wasn't bad.’ I wonder sometimes if I could start vocalizing.”

Doris has been delighting fans since her debut in 1945 (when she released hit song “Sentimental Journey”), but she’s also had some memorable leading men by her side through the years.

Day spills on frequent co-star Rock Hudson: “We really liked each other,” she says. “He named me Eunice, just for fun. I was always Eunice with him.”

She recalls seeing the actor just months before he died. “I was up here filming a show ('Doris Day's Best Friends,' July 1985) when all of a sudden he appeared. At first I didn't know who he was. I looked at him and was almost in tears. He was so thin, just gaunt. It was just unbelievable. But we walked and laughed together. He was so seriously ill, but he was still funny. It just about put me away—it's so hard to be funny when you know what's going to happen.”

She also recalls working with the late James Cagney. “I loved him. He was a wonderful person, just adorable,” Day says of Jimmy. However, she goes on, “Not in that film [“Love Me or Leave Me”], he wasn't. Oh, he was nasty!”

And last by not least, Tony Randall, who passed away in 2004. “He was so superb, so funny,” Doris says. “I just loved him. Did we ever [have fun]! We laughed.”

Find Day’s full interview in the December 25 issue of Parade, but until then, check out some personal photos of Doris through the years at Parade.com.

1. shyguy

she has a voice of an angel, a smile that lights up the room and a heart filled with love for helpless neglected animals, oh! did i forget to mention she was a great dancer and actress besides top female vocalist..in other words she has more talent in her little finger than all those haters will ever have if they live to be twice her age, she is an american treasure! (she also had the best butt in the movies) truley one of a kind super star!

December 31, 2011 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
  2. Regina

Not only a great star but an animal activist. Atruly great human.

December 17, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Charliese

Love, love, love, Doris Day! so glad to have some new tunes by her! I was thrilled to hear she had a new recording. Wish I wasn't unemployed, it would be my Christmas present to myself.

December 17, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. suzette

she brough a lot happiness to millions of people .she is great

December 16, 2011 at 6:49 am | Report abuse |
  5. temptation

I'm 32 and I love Doris Day...She was and still is a great person and one of the greatest movie stars ever...Rock on Doris!!! A true fan...

December 15, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. gimcy

Sunshine. That's what I always thought about her.

December 15, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Craig

I just love Doris Day, her films and her music! wish they made movies like that now. would have been fun to live back then too, in the big band days, love that smoky voice of hers! (and the freckles, shes SO cute!)

December 15, 2011 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
  8. lisa

I love Doris Day! I loved all her movies,and wished my mom was like her. She sings like an Angel. She is Great...
    I can't wait to get her new CD.

December 14, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Melissa

It's nice to hear she's doing well. She's had her share of hard knocks & poor choice in men (a lot like Debbie Reynolds).

December 14, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  10. spud weeb

My parents are old dooodooo heads. They make me cut the grass and rake leaves.

December 14, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  11. markus

3 stupid comments (okay, the Flintstone one was kinda funny).

NO, she's not dead. She retired long ago. The new album (which is actually very good if you're a fan of Day's voice) reached the Top 10 on the UK chart a few months ago and it's been in the Top 20 on Amazon's album chart for days. It appears she still has some fans who havent forgotten about her.

PS- Over 40 years after her last film, she still holds the record for the biggest female box office draw, EVER.

December 14, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. michelle

Me too. Didnt she die of old age back in the early 1970s?

December 14, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Katherine

Gee, whats up with all the hate? your parents probably were fans of hers. Gee, lighten up.

December 14, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bret

When she does pass on (hopefully no tme soon) she will be fondly remembered by many for her extraordinary talents and contributions to animal welfare. Not to mentiont the joy she provided to millions of people. Will the same be true of you when your time to check out comes? I am thinking "probably not."

December 17, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Tunder

I thought she was dead

December 14, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  14. jimbo

She is really really old. Didnt she used to date fred flinstone?

December 14, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |