'Breaking Bad' actor talks first SAG nod
December 14th, 2011

'Breaking Bad' actor talks first SAG nod

Giancarlo Esposito has had quite a year.

The “Breaking Bad” actor, who has been in the biz for almost five decades, received his first Screen Actors Guild nomination on Wednesday.

Esposito’s infamous role as villain Gus Fring is one reason the AMC series was nominated for outstanding performance by an ensemble in a drama series.

“Every time an actor does something different and pulls it off, people see him in a different way,” Esposito told CNN. “I’m honored to be one of those actors. … For me to be rediscovered is an amazing thing.”

The actor, whose character was dramatically killed off in season 4, said the role helped reignite his passion for the craft.

“I get goosebumps when I’m doing, and connecting, with the work and the writing.”

And there’s a chance those goosebumps aren’t going away.

Esposito said it’s likely that Gus will be back for season 5, in some way or another.

“Every time I die a character death, a little piece of me dies,” he said. “Sometimes it takes time to wash a character out of you, and it can be haunting.”

Though Esposito rarely watches his characters die on TV, he made sure to watch Gus’ journey come to an end. “I had to really see that darkness leave my spirit.”

But from the looks of it, Esposito’s journey is just beginning … again.

Esposito is currently filming ABC’s “Once Upon a Time” in Vancouver. He plays the Magic Mirror/reporter in the fairytale drama.

1. Displeased reader

Thanks a lot for the spoiler alert warning! NOT. I just finished s3. I saw this article and wanted to read about the actor's nomination, NOT his character's role in a TV show. I didn't even read the rest of the article.

December 16, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Travis Isle

So for everyone outside of America that actually hasn't seen season 4 and still awaits the dvd, thanks for telling me Gus dies I really appreciate it.

December 16, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  3. Earl the Pearl

Giancarlo certainly deserves to be recognized finally he's a great actor. Congrats

December 15, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ww

I knew someone would play the race card.

December 15, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. IHATETHISMORON

This show sucks almost as much as this do()chebags acting. If he were white, he never get a part.

December 15, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sho Nuff

School Daze by Spike Lee in 1988 – Dean "Big Brother Al Mighty".

December 15, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Michael Littlejohn

It's not really your right to give spoilers like that, without warning, in an article that should just be about the fact that Giancarlo Esposito has received a SAG nomination.

December 15, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Loo

Are you being serious? Come ON.

December 15, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • kris s.

Agreed. The writer should have put a spoiler alert at the top of the article. I just finished watching S4 so I already knew, but for those that are still waiting for S4 to come out on DVD, they just got crapped on by this article.

Stephanie Goldberg – you should know better.

December 19, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Gisela

I've been watching Giancarlo Esposito in various roles for years and am thrilled that he's getting some much-deserved accolades. He's not only a gorgeous hunk of man, he's ever so talented.

December 15, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Beth

Giancarlo Esposito is a fantastic actor from Taps to Homicide: Life on the Street, to now Breaking Bad. Good for him!

December 15, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  10. Chris F

Absolutely deserved. The show and it's cast deserves to sweep all awards shows for season 4, but especially Esposito.

December 14, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Christian

Well earned! GIancarlo Esposito was fantastic in his role as Gustavo Fring.

December 14, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. xjdavid

I love how seriously actors take themselves. lol Good grief.

December 14, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • @j2a$4c6K

No one gives a #$%& what you love...therefore its irrelevant!

December 15, 2011 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
    • sans diety

i care. i love the show and his role was well acted, and he clearly takes his craft seriously, and though i don't repect the profession, i still find it intriguing the manner and depth to which they don and doff a persona for these roles. he alludes to that and it was eloquent and insightful.

December 15, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Tom Ligon

Giancarlo Esposito has long been one of the best-kept secret among other actors – that he is one of the BEST of us. His cover is now blown, I guess.

December 14, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |