Disney introduces a younger princess
December 13th, 2011

Disney introduces a younger princess

Disney’s many princesses are wildly popular with kids, but characters like Belle and Cinderella behave as adults. The New York Times reports that Walt Disney Co. is remedying this by adding yet another princess to its line… and this one is a little girl herself.

The new princess, Sofia, is aimed at children ages 2 to 7. A television movie and series called “Sofia the First” featuring the new character will air on the Disney Channel and Disney Junior.

According to Just Jared Jr., "Modern Family's" Ariel Winter landed the role of the young, animated royal, who actually starts out the film as a regular girl. After her mom marries a king, that's when Sofia is introduced to "a glamorous, but sometimes confusing, castle world" - one that includes step-siblings. (Now where have we heard that one before?)

Disney says parents wary of “lessons” that focus on looking pretty and relying on a prince shouldn’t worry about “Sofia the First,” as this series is intended to focus on themes like kindness, getting along with siblings and generosity.

Nancy Kanter, general manager for Disney Junior Worldwide, admits that Sofia will have “plenty of pretty dresses and sparkly shoes,” but says that episodes will emphasize that “what makes a real princess is what’s inside, not what’s outside.”

There's also the possibility that this new show will lead to a line of Sofia toys and other consumer products. The Disney Princess toy line reportedly rakes in about $4 billion in annual retail sales.

« Previous entry
  1. disneydressup

Play Disney Dressup games for girls – Ariel, Cinderella, Snow White,Hannah Montana, & other Disney Channel games

June 12, 2012 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. lh

"There's also the possibility that this new show will lead to a line of Sofia toys and other consumer products." Ha! You think there may be a possibility!?

January 5, 2012 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Shannon

My thoughts exactly. The day Disney doesn't create a line of toys based on a new character will be the day that Hell freezes over.

January 9, 2012 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  3. Vidia

The princesses teach good lessons of kindness, reading books, good manners, friendship etc. Except for the Little Mermaid, Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella, I don't think any of the princesses pined or waited for a Prince. Just like everything else, one shouldn't be so lazy and assume all the Disney programs are good for kids. And for all the ethnics out there (I am one myself), watch what you ask for because you'll get some idiot show reinforcing stereotypes or totally screwing up the sensibilities of a culture ( on the other end of the spectrum). Probably need to go back to teaching TOLERANCE rather than forcing acceptance.

January 5, 2012 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
  4. Ashley

hahaha this is sooo silly!! you people are cracking me up!!!!

January 4, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. KayJBee

If Walt Disney saw Disney channel now, he would probably cry. It's terrible what's happened to it. All the teen shows give terrible messages to kids, and then they try too hard to send good messages, so the good messages come across as corny or lame. I have yet to see one Disney tv show for kids that doesn't include a teenage girl acting out against her parents. Not one. They lost sight of their morals, they just want to make a profit. It's sick.

December 24, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mom in NJ

My daughter will love this. That said, I hope she is much more Ramona Quimby than she looks. We need some spunk underneath that sweetness!

December 22, 2011 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
  7. kristl.budge

cool!

December 20, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Lucifer

Ahhhh yes Disney, indoctrinate my new young followers. How these mere mortals have no idea the world is run by pedophiles. Parents will offer their children to my altar, unknowingly of course. I will reward the bankers, politicians and anyone else that joins my most unholy Army Hahahahahaha

December 20, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  9. Lady_Bex

Whatever happened to the Paper Bag Princess? One of my favorite books of ALL TIME. The princess is a princess, with sparkly dresses and nice shoes, but when it came down to it, she didn't need the prince to save the day. (The prince was a real jerk.) The lesson from that book is that all princesses need to rely on themselves for their happily ever afters. If Disney can create a show like that for the kids, hey, that's great, if not then that's their fault. My daughters will learn to value and have confidence in themselves, either with or without all the princess accoutrements.

December 18, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Momof2princesses

As the mother of a three and six year old this is great news!! My youngest just saw the picture of the new Princess and wanted to watch her now...I have been telling my girls since they were born that to be considered beautiful you have to be beautiful on the insde...if this show does what they say it will then good job to Disney...it will be a far better lesson than the older princesses who find true love in one day at 16 and marry the next...princesses like Tiana and Rapunzel are the way to go!!! Yay for princess Sofia!!

December 15, 2011 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Thrilled!

As a mother of 2, my kids will definitely be watching this show. My daughter is very girly and will be thrilled! Thank Disney! Also my son LOVES Phineas and Ferb, and so does the rest of our family. That show is BRILLIANT!!! They need more cartoons like that!

December 22, 2011 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  11. Jonathan

Oh great more spoiled girls growing up thinking they're princesses

thanks disney

December 14, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mom of 3 year old

Disney doesn't cause little girls to be spoiled. Unless I am mistaken it is the PARENTS that are supposed to be raising the children. IDK what kind of people you are around that all the girls you know grew up thinking they were princesses but instead of blaming the media like so many people do, look at the PEOPLE that were responsible for them. It is their job to mold their children and decide what they are watching on TV and what values they grow up with.

December 17, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Krystal

This is so fake

December 14, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  13. Observer

My daughter will be read to from Ayn Rand, but NOT Disney. The last thing most girls need to aspire to is being a "princess".

December 14, 2011 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
    • @Observer

you are an idiot.
      what is a little girls childhood without imagination and princesses.
      dress up and dolls is what they know when they are 2!

December 14, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Jonathan

Good luck with your future psychopath

December 14, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scarlett

Yeah, who needs all that kindness and sharing crap? Much better to teach your daughter to sell her soul for a buck.

December 16, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • LP

I LOVE Ayn Rand. I've read absolutely every word she wrote, but come on. That stuff isn't for kids. You're setting your kid up for a dour, humorless childhood if that's what you're doing. I can *kind* of see Anthem, but the rest of them? We the Living? Horribly, horribly inappropriate for kids.. I daresay Ayn would have told you to hire someone better suited to parenthood to take over your role.

December 19, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  14. QM

A princess who looks blank, bland, demure and unquestioning. GREAT role model for girls. How about a kid with dirty knees, messed up hair who actually looks like she has a brain and is capable of using it.

December 14, 2011 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
  15. sophia

my name is sophia and i thought that this is a good ideia i love it

December 13, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  16. tracie

I like 'em big and I like 'em proud. GET YOUR BUTT ON MY FACE FAT WHITE GIRL!

December 13, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Just Me

I love Phineas and Ferb and I'm 39 years old. I think they are creative and imaginative. It's a blended family, which is cool, and for a change the older sibling is tattling instead of the younger one. My son (he's 15) and I watch it all the time..together. I think Sofia is great. And it's geared for little girls so I approve.

December 13, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  18. ProperVillain

Disney, from a creative standpoint, jumped the shark decades ago and is now a pathetic reflection of its former self. I had a little hope when they hired Lassiter to head the Disney animation studios but with the marketing knuckleheads and bean counters (who don't have a creative bone in their body) in control, I doubt even he can turn them around.
    Yeah, plenty of companies did the "small princess" thing a long time ago. They were called "flying fairies" in the 90's and the playsets are still for sale.
    Timely move Disney, timely move....

December 13, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Jackjack

Hear hear!
      Their Art director has some amazing work and with the gents holding his leash- they come out with crap like this.
      I'm sorry, but a little PRINCESS is not going to teach these children anything. The imagery here is that princesses are rich and well off. They have no struggles that these little girls may be subject to. This teaches nothing about responsibility.
      I just wish Disney would let their artist take over. There could be something worth while there, but with the smell of money...they flitter off into oblivion...

December 14, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  19. jessica

I like Nickelodeon and The Cartoon Network better. So do my cats. ICARLY is a cute show.

December 13, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Are you Kidding???

ICARLY is one of the most ridiculous shows I have seen. I do NOT let my daughter watch it. What exactly is it teaching kids? I believe kids should have fun, but the things the kids on that show do are just ridiculous and I don't know another parent that would approve of their own children acting that way. That goes right along with "Shake it Up" (which I know is on Disney Channel) but seriously, I pray I am raising my daughter with better respect for her self and better values so she doesn't act the way those kids do.

December 17, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • LP

I actually like iCarly a lot. I'm very selective about what they watch, but I like that iCarly encourages creative enterprises. Mine have been inspired to write scripts and start recording their own little shows at home. I haven't seen another show that inspires them to do things like that.

December 19, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Tranny Chaser

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ANOTHER WHITE PRINCESS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 13, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Josh

Disney has expanded its ethic princesses and shows–Tiana(princess and the Frog), Pocahonas, Mulan. Not to mention Handy Manny, Little Einstiens, not to Mention my daughters favorite TinkerBell movies(many different fairies of all shapes and races) Disney has followers of all nationalities and I'm sure they enjoy watching all the different shows..not sure you are the best to commenting TrannyChaser

December 13, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Observer

Handy Manny is an illegal. Just sayin.

December 14, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
    • abbyful

4 out of the last 5 "official Disney Princesses" have been non-white (black, Chinese, Native American, and Arabian). What are you complaining about? Should there be zero white princesses? I think Disney is doing a good job of mixing it up.

December 15, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • LP

Ick, I hate bigots. If you hate white people so much, go somewhere where there aren't any. Good luck with that.

December 19, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  21. David

Really Disney? ANOTHER SHOW THAT IS A WASTE OF TIME AND SPACE?! A child princess that tells no fairy tale? Really? Disney Channel. You suck so much now. You got that dumb Phineas and Blurb crap. What happened to Recess? 101 Dalmatians: The Animated Series? Or idk Kim Possible? This is retarded. Get some imagination going. Quit handing out these artsy fartsy crap.

December 13, 2011 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
    • heyitsme

Speak for yourself. All the ones that are gone, my kids hated watching – you know, the ones the channel is FOR. And personally, when I get a moment to sit with them, these shows we can enjoy together.

December 13, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Get over it

My almost 2 year old loves phineas and ferb, i think it's creative(although the sisters voice does grate on the nerves after awhile), we also enjoy Little Einsteins (which is great at teaching about music and famous artwork), Jake and the Neverland pirates, and Chuggington is his favorite (what child doesn't love trains?). Even his grandfather will sit and watch these shows with him. As long as the ratings come in the shows are there to stay. IF it bothers you so much change the channel!

December 13, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patrick

A Kim Possible fan?! Ahahahahahaaha

December 14, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryan

My son loves Phineaus and Ferb!! Disney is usually the only channel that is on their t.v.s. My daughter, however, is not allowed to watch the live action (Hannah Montana, Sweet Life, etc.) We are a big Disney family and go to WDW once a year. My daughter loves princesses although this one is a little young for her since she will be 10 next year. What type of shows do you think Disney should do? Yes, I grew up watching Disneyland and all the cool shows like their nature shows and movies on Saturday or Sundays evening.

December 18, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  22. this sounds

Like a lovely show-4 rob ! Lmao !

December 13, 2011 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  23. mike

What have the Kardashians said about this?

December 13, 2011 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |