'Bridesmaids' one of AFI's best movies of 2011
December 12th, 2011

'Bridesmaids' one of AFI's best movies of 2011

The American Film Institute has released its list of the 10 best movies of 2011, with buzzed-about spring/summer releases "Bridesmaids" and "The Help" among them.

George Clooney's latest release, "The Descendants," also made the top 10, along with "Midnight In Paris"; "War Horse" (which comes out this month); "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" (another December release); "Hugo"; and "J. Edgar."

Brad Pitt appears in the other two films rounding out the AFI's list: "Moneyball" and "The Tree of Life," which coincidentally was also named the best film of the year by the African-American Film Critics Association today.

Additionally, the AFI has given "special awards" - an honor that goes to "outstanding achievements in the moving image" that don't fit the organization's criteria for other categories - to critical favorite "The Artist" and the entire "Harry Potter" franchise.

What do you think? Do those sum up the best movies of 2011?

Filed under: movies

1. Pietro Antoni

I'm really surprised about Bridesmaids and even J. Edgar which got only mixed reviews with not a whole lot of folk really crazy about it. I suppose Di Caprio gives a decent performance....... he always does..... and sure he'll get an Oscar Nomination, but this has got to be one of Eastwood's less than stellar efforts. Very surprised it's on the list.

I really question critics circles as of a number of years ago at their choices of winners or nominees. Are you trying to tell me that Bridesmaids is a better film than THE IDES OF MARCH? Hm!

On the whole: YEP! I'm surprised at a number of their choices.

December 30, 2011 at 4:24 am | Report abuse |
  2. Hunnybunny

I loved, loved, loved the Bridesmaids!!!!!! It was hilarious from beginning to end!!

December 16, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  3. Whitney

AFI knows that Bridesmaids was not one of the best pictures of the year. They should have given to Harry Potter.

December 15, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. horrible bosses

bridesmaids was not that great...Horrible Bosses was a far better movie and had better humor. Hangover 2 sucked!!

December 14, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  5. 7 year old boy

I liked Bridesmaids poop humor cause I'm a 7 year old boy. If that movie appealed to women, no wonder this country is in shambles.

December 14, 2011 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  6. eeeewwwww

Bridesmaids was so bad, it stole not just 2hrs of my life, but an entire evening. My wife and I rented it for a chuckle, having heard how funny it was. When it was finally over, we were so embarrassed at having sat through it that we really felt uncomfortable for the rest of the evening. Seriously, we have certainly seen movies that sucked. Usually we can just say, "well that sucked," and get on with our lives. Bridesmaids was so awful it actually put us off for some time afterwards. Like the difference between eating a bad meal and getting food poisoning. AFI just lost all credibility.

December 14, 2011 at 6:14 am | Report abuse |
    • it's not alot

absolutely.
      I thought the same thing; was the AFI bribed?

December 20, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  7. kennedy609

I think they mean it was the most hyped movie of the year. It was just moderately funny and I don't think Wiig was the right casting choice for her character

December 13, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. dtcpr

i don't know. I'm a woman in her 20s and I prefered The Hangover to Bridesmaids. I thought Bridesmaids was funny but I did not think it was as funny as people were making it out to be. I think it got lost in still being a "chick flick" at times whereas The Hangover is jsut a laugh fest. Either way Kristin Wiig carried the movie I didn't like anyone else in the movie that much.

December 13, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  9. JPX

Wow, I just don't understand all the love for Bridesmaids. Mediocre at best, Bridesmaids was an okay comedy with a few mild laughs. It was hardly the laugh-fest that everyone made it out to be. Also, I couldn't stand the bride, who was a horrible friend to her best friend. It made little sense that she would take advice from the obviously shallow, pretentious woman.

December 13, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  10. derp

In that picture, the fat wench looks like she is squeezing out a fart.

December 13, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  11. Jenickki

I thought Bridesmaids was a horrible movie. If I honestly had friends like that, I would kill them. Then again, I wouldn't have friends like that in the first place. You like your friends, these women were just hopeless. Okay, there were a few moments in the film I liked, but overall...what garbage.

The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo sorta scares me. I have yet to see the American movie; however, the Swedish one was incredible. I fear that due to the subject matter American audience will see something that is watered down and not true to the nature of the book. Guess time will tell on that one.

Moneyball was a great film. Hands down, great film. It's really nice to see Brad Pitt being given roles that allow him to stretch to what he can do. I also saw the Tree of Life. See previous quote about Mr. Pitt. Only compliant here, this movie is really really slow.

Hugo was artistically brillant. I would expect nothing less from the director. However, once again wow, slow movie.

WarHorse, I just can't bring myself to go see. I read a book by the same name, and the book did me in. Spielberg is connected to this project, so I'm sure Oscar is knocking at the door for something.

J. Edgar is simply the DiCaprio show. Is there really anything this man can not do. WOW! The story lacked a great deal and very sketchy in parts, yes.you knew it was coming...Sloooooow movie; but give props were they are due, Di Caprio deserves and Oscar for this one. He had the character to a T.

I will now remove myself from the isle seat and see where this all leads.

December 13, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  12. erich2112x

My favorite movie of the year.

December 13, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  13. 6foot2sf

Great news for Bridesmaids- I really like the Hangover but Hangover 2 was the same story over and over and over.

December 13, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  14. Oskar

Commercially most successful maybe, but since when is box office success equal to artistic quality? Shame on AFI for selling out to Hollywood studios!

December 13, 2011 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  15. Sparty323

This was one of the funniest movies ever! I loved these women! I hope they do a sequel and include Ellen DeGeneres!

December 13, 2011 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  16. Nisha

Bridesmaids was hilarious. Way funnier than The Hangover 2. Melissa McCarthy stole the film.

December 13, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  17. shannon

This movie is HILARIOUS!!! Loved it! Mellisa McCarthy is sooooooo funny!

December 13, 2011 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  18. me

i was disappointed with "The Help", I read the book and watched the movie. The book was awesome, the movie was garbage.

December 13, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  19. Michelle

I didn't love BRIDESMAIDS either. Not nearly as funny as THE HANGOVER. The worst part of TREE OF LIFE is that the director did what he always does – prolongs every scene to the point of boredom. And what was with that 20+ minutes of color images? Was that supposed to be the creation of the universe? The acting was very good, however. I don't think I'll see the american version of GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO as I saw the Swedish version just last year.

December 13, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  20. Sue

Are you kidding me? A slow year? It wasn't funny at all. It was tired and cliché. I understand it was an attempt to provide a counter to The Hangover, but it isn't even close. That was an original and even The Hangover 2 (not nearly as good as 1) was better. I would love to see a real and solid female buddy movie, but this wasn't it.

December 13, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  21. pablo

Wow, this movie was so bad, so boring, and so unfunny, my wife and I had to quit watching about halfway through.

December 13, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  22. conrad

Bridesmaids was nothing more than "The Hangover" minus all the laughs. Chick comdey filcks are soooo predictable.
    Even my wife hated it.
    J. Edgar.......GREAT!!!! Another great performance by Leo.
    Dragon Tattoo.......we'll see. The book was great, but how does it translate onto film?

December 13, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  23. Albert Ross

African-American Film Critics Association, wrong! Tree o fLife was not a very good film at all. Jessica Chastain and Brad Pitt were good. Chastain more than Pitt. They should have chosen The Help. I'm African-American and the prize should have went to The Help. Tree of Life, no waaaaaay. Bridesmaids, yes. Midnight in Paris, not really. J.Edgar, snooze.

Can't wait for the American version of Dragon Tattoo. The Descendants looks promising. Clooney is always great, loved Up In The Air. AFI, come on.

December 13, 2011 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  24. Jack

Very much enjoyed Bridesmaids. Kristen Wiig was excellent in it and also co-wrote a really good screenplay. Was it a perfect movie? No. Was it a really, really good one? Yep. Tho she's at times overused on SNL, she's one of the best things on that show, lots of talent and range and the cast in Bridesmaids was fantastic.

December 13, 2011 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  25. JosieCat

I thought Bridesmaids was HORRIBLE. Hated it so much that I took the time to put a review on IMDB – something I don't normally bother to do. Long, drawn out, uncomfortable scenes. I was expecting a female Hangover – NOT. Yes, I really enjoyed watching some woman's life fall apart.

December 13, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  26. Leaf on the Wind

My friends talked me into seeing Bridesmaids and if I had been on my own, I would have walked out at that scene. If you saw it, you know the scene I mean. Overall, this movie had a few good laughs but ran too long, and I didn't like any of the characters. I can't believe the AFI puts this in the same list with some of these other movies, which were really good.

December 13, 2011 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  27. Nick

There are so many better movies that came out that those listed...
    Conan the Barbarian,
    Cowboys vs Aliens
    Thor
    Captain America

to name a few that were better.

December 13, 2011 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  28. Jamie

I disagree! Bridesmaids sucked big time!

December 13, 2011 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  29. Lynn

Are you kidding me! The only funny parts of this movie are the scenes with Megan McCarthy. The scenes with Kristen Wiig were painfully drawn out.

December 13, 2011 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
    • beachgal

yes, kristin wig is not funny. melissa carried the movie. her scenes were funny. i think hangover is over rated just like 40 year old virgin.

midnight in paris was so bad!

so, guess it was a bad year in films.

December 13, 2011 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  30. arlene blouch

Bridesmaids was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Not funny...just about a lot of sad insecure women. I wanted my moey back.

December 13, 2011 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  31. SuperDave

Bridesmaids was funny, but award winning? NOT!! Also, I forced myself to see Tree of Life. I so much wanted to turn it off but made it through. It is my top 5 WORST movies I have ever seen. Can anyone tell me what that was all about???

December 13, 2011 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  32. YaaSureYaaBechya

Just shows you how bad a year it was for movies!

December 13, 2011 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
  33. Areyoukiddingme!

If Bridesmaids is one of the best American films then it was certainly a very poor year. This is one of the worst movies of the year. Specifically, a comedy is supposed to make you laugh, this film did not.

December 13, 2011 at 7:07 am | Report abuse |
  34. lynn

I paid $1 to get Bridesmaids at Red Box. Honestly, I wanted my dollar back. Not funny like Hangover. Tried to have a story with friend said about her sad life. So dull. Crude to boot-and it wasn't funny. HATED it. AFI must be smoking something.

December 13, 2011 at 6:32 am | Report abuse |
  35. Angela

Bridesmaids is the ugliest film ever. AFI apparently has no taste or class.

December 13, 2011 at 5:56 am | Report abuse |
  36. mis be

Ha ha

December 13, 2011 at 5:37 am | Report abuse |
  37. laura

Bridesmaids was terrible!

December 13, 2011 at 5:12 am | Report abuse |
  38. gerald flores

Bridesmaids? Disappointed in AFI.

December 13, 2011 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
  39. colt 45

Bridesmaids was hysterically funny and unforgettable. Kristin Wiig and Megan McCarthy were Oscar worthy. But "The Help" was priceless–an American gem and should run away with awards. Rings so true!!

December 13, 2011 at 2:29 am | Report abuse |
  40. Dannielle

Bridesmaids was hilarious. Kristen Wiig is so funny that you actually forget she's a woman.

December 13, 2011 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  41. annie

I find it interesting that "Tree of Life" was named best film of the year by the African-American Film Critics Association. I think that was a lovely and honest decision on their part.

December 13, 2011 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  42. RCDC

She should pass the cooking test. (kidding)

December 12, 2011 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  43. MZ J

I think its Awesome! The Bridesmaids was freaking hilarious!

December 12, 2011 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Tiffany

Bridesmaids was funny...but it's one of those movies where all the funny parts where in the commercial. Like what some people said on here, the movie was kind of dragged out!!!! -.-

December 12, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  45. The Wiz

"The Help" will blow all the others away come Oscars time.

December 12, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Dickie

Bridesmaids sucked donkey balls

December 12, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  47. carolina

How about Drive ? That was pretty sensational.

December 12, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  48. bond

Cant wait for war horse and girl with dragon tatoo!

December 12, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  49. bond

Im speachless

December 12, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Keith

Bridesmaids was horrible. Too long and drawn out. It won't get any Oscar nominations....

December 12, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • be quiet

I bet you're wrong. Melissa McCarthy is favored to get a Best Supporting Actress Oscar nomination.

December 13, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  51. bond

If I could afford to pay these movie prices at the theatre too!

December 12, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Mormon

Yay, the Hangover, but with chicks and less funny. Awesome!

December 12, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • cm

I've got to say I thought the hangover was funnier too (and I'm female). The best thing about Bridesmaids is Kristin Wiig. She carried that movie.

December 13, 2011 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  53. kelz

Yaay for bridesmaids! Absolutely hilarious!

December 12, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Charlie Buckett

I wish i could afford to watch all these dumb movies...

December 12, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Clarence

I was really disappointed in this movie, great actresses, bad movie.

December 13, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |