How Pitt helped Jolie make screenwriting debut
December 9th, 2011

How Pitt helped Jolie make screenwriting debut

Much has been made of Angelina Jolie transitioning from actress to director with her latest feature "In the Land of Blood and Honey," but the pic is also her screenwriting debut.

The 36-year-old tells CNN that at first, she simply wanted to put words to the page.

"I sat down alone just to write something and I just did it in script form as an experiment, as a way of writing," Jolie explained.

But when partner Brad Pitt spied it on her desk, he asked to read it. Then, "he called 'cause he was in Japan and he said, ‘You know honey, it's really not that bad. You should show it to some people."

And so she did, sending her words off to gauge reactions, and soon enough the pieces were falling into place. The next thing she knew, Jolie was directing.

"I didn't know it was going to become a film when I started working on it," Jolie says. "I never intended to direct or become a writer. I'd been traveling for ten years, these issues had been haunting my mind, violence against women, intervention, what happens to human beings when they're just constantly living under the pressures of war and how war changes them."

Pitt, meanwhile, says he's filled with pride. "When she set out to do this, she was intent on telling the story and telling the story with people from the conflict," he tells CNN. "And she was right. It's very, very moving. I'm very proud of her."

1. Just_bad

OK I dont really like Both of them, But as for her work, I've been here in Bosnia Sarajevo now for past 8 years, And When they both came over to visit some war/rape victims with Bratt, they took the time to go to small ( i mean small recluse towns) adn to speak with some of the women here, and to listen to their stories.. And most of them in remote towns dont even know Who was those two people (Angie and Bratt) and Beleive me, Most of the Bosnians here do like and appreciate both of them for their continuous work and efford.. Can you say as much for some other Actors with MIllions.?? do they take time to go to remote towns and listen to war victims? No?? well All i can say is,, KUDOS to Angie and Bratt for their work.. and I dont really care what others have to say,, Before you speak, why dont you come here in Sarajevo and see how the licing situation is here,

December 13, 2011 at 2:23 am | Report abuse |
  2. kate

I love Angelina and Brad. Good for Angelina- she is a very emotional person, and can reach into despair and illustrate it. They belong together, and really bring out the best in each other. If anyone can cover every aspect of acting- it's Angelina.

December 13, 2011 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
  3. ondeck

Ms Jolie is a very talented and compassionate human being. She does more than people realize as a UN
    representative. Good for her to have the courage to try something new and much success to her. How nice she and Brad have such a supportive and loving relationship. Let's all try being nice and wish them well!

December 12, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • tracy

Very talented - the both of them. Has given so much in film entertainment - (Brad in Thelma & Louise, 12 Monkeys, etc...?, Angelina as Laura Croft? wow...) As for Angelina's humanitarian efforts, appointed Goodwill Ambassador, received a Global Humanitarian Award, has devoted countless of hours to help those in need. Imagine a world that everyone cared or gave as much?

December 12, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pritka

Yes, I agree. She has help at home because she needs it and can afford it. I would do the same as would most everyone else. Yet she manages to parent her large family quite well. I admire her energy and the way both she and her husband try to make a difference for good in the world.

December 13, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  4. nori

From what I've heard /read from crtiics, this is a really dark and depressing flick. Good or bad, I think the holiday release is poor timing. Let's go see a Bosnia hardship movie during the holidays – the in-laws will love it. On another topic, if I had maids, nannies, chauffers, gardners, etc., (and time) I bet iiIcould write a decent screen play, too. Jealous – no. Annoyed with Angelina – yes. She's beautiful but her talent is not of the caliber as the greats such as Helen Miran, Meryl Streep, Annette Benning, Stockard Channing, Liz Taylor, etc. Just go away,raise your tribe and contribute your charitable work.

December 12, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pritka

She has gone out of her way to do challenging roles. The other actresses that you mention are or were very talented also and I admire them but Ms Jolie is right up there with them in talent and looks and she has the added quality of actually being interested and active in trying to make the world a better place.

December 13, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  5. Anonymous

If people really knew what this movie was about, and how she slighted some of the women this movie is based from, you wouldn't pay one cent of your hard earned money to see it. Jolie is a self-aggrandized, pompous woman, who has no right making films on the tragedy of something she knows nothing about.

December 12, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pritka

She knows more than you, she has been there and she has talked to the people who lived it. Give her credit for doing something that you couldn't.

December 13, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
    • may

get a life...

January 4, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  6. mike

who cares what these 2 do?

December 12, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  7. margaret

i agree with sue....why do we continue to talk about these people. do not even comment.

December 12, 2011 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  8. DRAGNOSI COMMENT

no begrudging here..i don't like them and i don't like their acting..and that's my business when it comes to where i spend my movie money have the right to say whatever the F i want to say about it..so mind your business dragnosi...

December 12, 2011 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  9. sue

i cannot believe how people actuallly take the time out to comment on these two.

December 12, 2011 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
    • nori

yes, but you took the time out to respond as well – so where does that leave you in the fray?

December 12, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Dragnosi

Congratulations Angelina on another great accomplishment. I've been a fan of yours since Hackers and of Brad's since Meet Joe Black. Continued best wishes to you both!

To all those here trying to sully the good names of these two, what horrible sin, self loathing or personal tragedy are you attempting to obfuscate with this nonsense? Go worry about improving your lot instead of begrudging others there's.

December 12, 2011 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
    • joey

no begrudging here...i don't them and in don't their acting and thats my business when it comes to where my movie money goes to not your dragnosi.

December 12, 2011 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  11. Lol !

@Malyk1O-I agree with you. 1 thing-somebody please style bp hair !

December 12, 2011 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
  12. Malyk10

Some of the comments people post here really amuse me. Why all the hateful comments? is anyone of them standing in anybody's way? Whether she completed her schooling or not, isn't she by every standard successful? She may have her flaws so does everybody. Again, when people can't really measure up to you, they try desperately to pull you down. Ride on Angie and Brad, u rock!

December 12, 2011 at 7:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Jana

The women who are catty with her are just Plain Janes clinging to rapidly crumbling marriages and husbands that regret marrying them.

December 12, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
    • mike

no brad cheated on his wife broke up his marriage with this whatever she is...i have 24 room hous and fancy car just like they do but i don't cheat - oh yea lets not forget how he blamed his wife for it.....they won't get my movie money and i can afford it....

December 12, 2011 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
    • gina

malyk10 .. you comment just made my life...get lost.

December 12, 2011 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
    • travhops

II find it hilarious how many people KNOW so many personal facts about Brad and Angie, as if belong to their inner circle. Right! How sad.

December 12, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  13. catspells

I can't get past the fact I think she's out for herself and herself alone. I see her "humanitarian" trips as just another way to manipulate public opinion and not about the cause, but about her. I wouldn't be surprised if she did in fact plagarize this piece as a previous Commentor wrote. I just don't believe any of the hype regarding Angie. And as far as Brad goes, he's just plain boring.

December 12, 2011 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
  14. ldean50

If Jolie really wrote this script – then I'm Marilyn Monroe. Puh-leeeese. The girl didn't even finish highschool. They paid off the guy she plagurized it from. He is a Bosnian, sued her for plagurism and now ... you don't hear anything from him. She paid him off or had him killed, one or the other.

December 11, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Annia

There are others who didn't finish HS, but did quite well for themselves, Sam Walton, Richard Branson, Poppy Montgomery, and Keith Urban to name a few. There are others who have HS diplomas or college degrees, yet, can't read the menu or spell PLAGIARIZE or PLAGIARISM. Just saying....

December 12, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • ok

Don't hear from him...he has a Website dedicated to trying to take down Angelina. He admits his story is different, the only similarities are Bosnia and two peoples relationship within the time of War. Anyone that has read the book has discredited him. Maybe Jen is paying him off to push the cause....

December 22, 2011 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
    • ok

Also, the author of the so called plagiarized book plagiarized his name. He took a famous American boxers name to cover up his own because he thought his lawsuit would have more credibilty then.

December 22, 2011 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
  15. fernace

Kudos to Angelina Jolie for her continuing humanitarian efforts & kudos to Brad Pitt for supporting & encouraging his woman! Haven't seen the flick but sure it will live up to expectations! I'm not part of the crazy crew who still think "Brad & Jennnifer" belong together or that Jolie "stole" a husband! C-lebs have a right to live their own lives for themselves, not to please the masses! Also, humans can't be "stolen"! People fall in & out of love & that's what happened here! They are obviously very much together for themselves & their adorable kids! I wish people would quit hating & projecting on this couple! Get an interesting life of your own, y'all!!

December 10, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  16. lojenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Penm9hnsTr8&w=640&h=390]

December 9, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  17. portalpunk

Its friday and Im FIRSTY!!!!!!!!!

December 9, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jesse

Good for you, young lady - now go out there and try to create a life beyond sitting around all day and night, waiting to be the first to leave a non-comment "Firsty!"on every online entertainment article that comes up. Kind of makes you more than a little pathetic.

December 10, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • seriously?

Not only sitting with cheesie stained fingers poised over the keyboard waiting to pounce on an article in your pathetic "firsty" way, but you are so unstable that you don't even know what day it is today. Wow.

December 12, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Devara

I'm firsty too, portalpunk. Unlike you, I'm going to do something about it, like shutting down my computer to go get a beer.

December 12, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mariska

I can't understand why Americans think that Bratt is good looking , there are better looking man in Europe , this man is getting ugly by the minute, also, Angelina looks like a walking skeleton , big mouth , I guess for Americans any white trash is good enough for them.

December 13, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |